Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Feels like they changed everything they could with the designs we've seen.

Different eyes.

Different nose.

Different body shape.

No gloves.

Different shoes.

Its a small miracle that he's still blue.

• Thumbs Up 4

12 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Please tell me again how is taking iconic characters and skewing them to fit your vision better than finding a vision that fits the characters.

Well, ask the MCU. Why do they change and adapt characters to fit their universe? The filmmakers have a specific vision of what they want the property to be. Spider-Man: Homecoming for example changed a lot of stuff from the comics but it wholly faithful to the spirit and core of the character. Sonic here isn't any different. 

12 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

If you're letting him keep the shoes, giving him gloves is literally no different.

Instead of making a unique design choice, it's just ends up being inconsistent.

26 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

You know how else they could have paid homage to the gloves?

By giving him gloves.

People wear shoes everyday because it's a necessity. Gloves are only worn for specific tasks or to accommodate body temperature for Winter. 

So with that logic, him having shoes to protect his feet since he's a runner - makes more sense then having gloves. They could have did but they didn't want to and I respect their decision. Just like how Cap was changed from comic to film. No longer wearing the bell bottom pirate boys or literal wings, he fits the MCU's design philosophy 15ccf04ee7b88068e98d04b24ed77729.thumb.jpg.307c2328b0f04386201a06e3e1b4cd3e.jpg

13 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Stop bringing up Captain America.

It's relevance to your point has done nothing but decrease upon each use.

Sonic likes to drift and perform acrobatics that involve using his hands...his hay-ans.

Captain America's design is born from a similar thought process as this Sonic design..

Like I said, he could have had them. But they didn't go with the gloves so it is what it is. There has to be a reason for it. At least he doesn't have blue hands 

11 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Us as the consumer are under no obligation to consider the creators vision in our criticism, stop using that as a defense to counter people’s complaints.

Well, this is really no different from people complaining about comic book movies taking liberties with the source material. It's called an adaptation for a reason. It's the property adapted to fit a new medium and vision of storytelling

So it very much is a valid defense 

Captain America does have gloves though, they are just different gloves. No one would be kicking up as much of a fuss if Sonic had different gloves.

It would be as if Captain America had bare hands which were painted red.

I know that wasn't the point you were making, I just thought it would be interesting to note.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 2

Just now, StaticMania said:

The rationalization would be for the movie's sake, not the original intention of the design.

Yeah, but costume designs for movies are rarely done for realism either.

Films are just as aesthetically driven as any other medium.

2 hours ago, Plasme said:

Also, Sonic wears gloves because it fits his design. I doubt Ohshima was thinking "hm, I need to give Sonic gloves so his hands are protected when he runs".

We don't need to rationalise it out. 

I agree with that but I was more wondering the message and mentality behind the movie design. A good design tells a story of its own and gives you insight into the character and while we can argue that this is not a good design there still is an intention behind it and I'm curious about the deeper stuff than just make it realistic and grounded. I'm a hobby artist myself so this type of thing interests me.

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Possible fear...Sonic only runs.

Crazy as it sounds it is a legitimate concern. Heck, if you go by the "leak" the only robots Eggman uses are drones and not a single actual mech or machine with his usual flair so only running may sound silly but it isn't quite. As I said, Sonic isn't just as sprinter and that brings certain expectations, especially in an action movie. To me at least sprinting and long distance running is more entertaining in competition where as parkour can be entertaining on it's own. Again I'll reference the Sonic CD opening and I've seen some spectacular use of the parkour system in Lost World as well to make me concerned about the dynamism of the character and what the intention is behind not giving him gloves. It speaks of an intention and I want to know what that is be it good or bad.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Yeah, but costume designs for movies are rarely done for realism either.

Films are just as aesthetically driven as any other medium.

I get.

Aesthetically, there was no reason to change.

The gloves in this instance would be like the sports tape for the Boom designs, there's an actual reason for them.

It's a neat design choice, even if they did go overboard.

I'd just like to point out this tumblr post as a counterpoint to "Sonic needs to look like a real creature."

Because if you look at Detective Pikachu, even though they are giving the Pokemon more realistic textures, the one thing they are not changing? The overall proportions. For example, Charmander...

tumblr_inline_po2dpzTMjq1qkmm41_1280.png

Same big, cartoony eyes, but more realistic textures. I'm not saying Sonic needs the conjoined eyes, but there is  a better balance to strike.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

50 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Well, this is really no different from people complaining about comic book movies taking liberties with the source material. It's called an adaptation for a reason. It's the property adapted to fit a new medium and vision of storytelling

Okay...? That doesn’t really argue against my point that you constantly shove “it’s what the creators want” as some be all say all to criticism of the design. They can make adaptions, no ones saying they can’t, but if it’s bad to people, no ones gonna give a shit if they have their personal reasons for why they went that look.

• Thumbs Up 3

They definitely didn't HAVE to take away his gloves and give him white-furred hands... but to me, it's not a bad design choice. Personally, I think it's a clever little interesting design choice. It's an unnecessary change in my opinion, sure, but it still keeps his hands white so that it mirrors the color placement of his original cartoony design.

Heck, they might not even have a reason beyond just simply wanting to do it. And for me... that's just fine and dandy as well.

Well, according to the reddit leak, he does get new shoes.  If the reddit leak turns out to be true then maybe (Hopefully tbh) he'll get gloves once he realizes he needs them.  Maybe it wasn't too crazy geographically on the planet he came from?  Who knows to be honest.

When agreeing to make something new for an already existing franchise which has already established thing (characters, personalities, settings), you can't just pick and choose which things you're gonna keep faithful to and which are you gonna totally ignore and expect to not get called out for it. At least that would be the logical thing, but I guess in Hollywood anything goes.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

There has to be a reason for it.

This in and of itself is a bad defense because a lot of the possible reasons are terrible ones. The only one I can come to is  general incompetence from the film makers.

• Thumbs Up 5