Jump to content
Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Recommended Posts

I love this song! But I'm not sure if Gangsta's Paradise is the right fit for Sonic. Unless this is the new direction for the Hedgehog in the future, be a black gangsta and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

People are only ever going to judge this thing by A. Whether it looks good and B. Whether it looks like Sonic.

It doesn't look like Sonic, and it also doesn't look good. This is the opinion most people have here.

The creators' "intent", who the movie is being marketed to, this facade of "realism", whether it will be more "successful", this is all absolutely fucking meaningless in the face of something that looks neither accurate nor good. It's not "too early to judge", the writing has been on the wall for like four goddamn years. We're just seeing the results of every horrible mistake that was this movie's development cycle. If anything it's too late to judge. If they'd tried to get our reactions earlier in development we could have had a movie that was actually Sonic, and maybe even one that was actually good.

Probably not that second one, but possibly the first.

I think that's an exaggeration.  People will judge its writing,   directing, acting, comedy and action...once we see enough of it to judge them.  However, even if those end up being fine, they shouldn't be the only things in a Sonic movie; we want stuff we liked in the games.  Right now, all we have to judge are Sonic's design and various sources all pointing to this film hardly using anything from Sonic.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I think that's an exaggeration. People will judge its writing, directing, acting, comedy and action...once we see enough of it to judge them. However, even if those end up being fine, they shouldn't be the only things in a Sonic movie; we want stuff we liked in the games. Right now, all we have to judge are Sonic's design and various sources all pointing to this film hardly using anything from Sonic.  

Sorry, by "this thing" I meant the design. The design is only to be judged by whether it looks either good or like Sonic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Well, ask the MCU. Why do they change and adapt characters to fit their universe? The filmmakers have a specific vision of what they want the property to be. Spider-Man: Homecoming for example changed a lot of stuff from the comics but it wholly faithful to the spirit and core of the character. Sonic here isn't any different. 

 

 

People wear shoes everyday because it's a necessity. Gloves are only worn for specific tasks or to accommodate body temperature for Winter. 

 

So with that logic, him having shoes to protect his feet since he's a runner - makes more sense then having gloves. They could have did but they didn't want to and I respect their decision. Just like how Cap was changed from comic to film. No longer wearing the bell bottom pirate boys or literal wings, he fits the MCU's design philosophy 15ccf04ee7b88068e98d04b24ed77729.thumb.jpg.307c2328b0f04386201a06e3e1b4cd3e.jpg

Okay this kind of comparison is asinine, as yes the Captain America movie design is different than his comic counterpart but is still recognizable as Captain America.

The live action Sonic however bears very little resemblance to his game counterpart.

The difference between movie Captain America and comic Captain America are close enough plus I am glad the MCU did its own version of the suit as opposed to direct comic adaptation as that was done so wrong by the 90's captain America film

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

That costume is several movies in could be the Civil War version, others before it were closer to the comic. Also comic charactes do go through numerous major and minor costume changes over the years and details not matching on one comparison will on another.

Plus it should be noted the only clothes sonic has are his shoes and gloves.

now for the shoes of this movie sonic..... they are not the best, not that nice looking.

I dont hate them but they dont look appealing

 

but sonic not having gloves.... eh not a fan.

not the worst change (that would be the eyes) but yipes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know, I’m been talking about this again. I had a feeling that this Toyota Tacoma seen in this picture will be involved in a car chase. The leaker, who deleted his account along with the thread say that they used this truck to go to San Francisco. The truck is owned by Tom. It get its roof chopped by Dr. Eggman’s drones.

3F622E8F-C6F3-4039-A136-D1F86322A298.thumb.jpeg.d297cb991e5903b34cb90e8e405996b0.jpeg

I also hear that the Reddit leaker say that there will be a scene of Tom fighting some baddies with Sonic at a bar. 

These scenes would be cool to see, but I will believe these, when I see it.

Anyway, I’m hoping that we will get a trailer soon at SXSW or the KCA.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

Okay this kind of comparison is asinine, as yes the Captain America movie design is different than his comic counterpart but is still recognizable as Captain America.

The live action Sonic however bears very little resemblance to his game counterpart.

The difference between movie Captain America and comic Captain America are close enough plus I am glad the MCU did its own version of the suit as opposed to direct comic adaptation as that was done so wrong by the 90's captain America film

 

It looks as much like Sonic as that Cap looks like comic Cap.

 

- Blue fur? Check

- 6 Quills? Check.

- Peach/Beige colored patch of fur on his torso? Check.

- Red shoes? Check.

- White hands? Check.

- Green eyes? Check.

- Peach/Beige muzzle? Check. 

 

All of the important/recognizable design elements are there. The silhouette from the side is instantly recognizable as Sonic just as the Cap. Now I could have easily used the First Avenger suit which looks even less like comic Cap since that was the first attempt at his look in the MCU. 

 

But please, let's not with the hyperbolic "it looks nothing like Sonic!!!!!" mentality.. Because it does. The full design is easily recognizable. 

 

2 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

That costume is several movies in could be the Civil War version, others before it were closer to the comic. Also comic charactes do go through numerous major and minor costume changes over the years and details not matching on one comparison will on another.

The comics are currently basing their look of Cap on the movies for brand synergy. Before the MCU, Cap was always in bell bottoms and fish scales

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

 

But please, let's not with the hyperbolic "it looks nothing like Sonic!!!!!" mentality.. Because it does. The full design is easily recognizable.  

It looks nothing like Sonic, but that's just my take on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 4:36 AM, Splash the Otter said:

You didn't answer my question: what reason does Sonic have to exist if he's always going to be inferior to Mario?

Because people like him.

Because he's had a history of iconography of his own.

Because he makes SEGA money.

Because I say so.

On 3/7/2019 at 8:56 AM, Tarnish said:

Not to keep the focus on the games topic, but I'll just say: It's kind of hard to do that when most themes for stages/zones have already been done. At this point, there's not that much new they could do with themes if you ask me. Plus, as a closing thought: to me it seems Mario has been doing the same themes for stages as well (Odyssey I guess brought something new in that regard), yet I don't hear people complaining about Mario doing it all that much.

They might not call it Green Hill, but if you see another stage with green grass and brown colored tiles, you'll no doubt think "Oh, just another rehash of Green Hill..".

True.

Though that can be gotten around by trying to give levels their own aesthetics.

On 3/7/2019 at 4:53 PM, Myst said:

Nothing much, just the same picture from before, BUT...

 

I put the link into Google Translate and this is what I got..

"A moving image of Sonic the Hedgehog has just been filtered in "Sonic, The Movie". According to sources, this image would be part of a collage of the "Kids Choice Awards"

That explains the Nick Jr. cartoons on top and bottom. Looks like we get our trailer during the KCAs, March 23rd guys!

Guess it's confirmed then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boiling similarities down to simple bullet points like "he's blue" is like likening Donald Duck to Howard the Duck because they're both white. There are resemblences, but they are ultimately superficial and surface level only. There's a reason people keep likening it to a bootleg - it's the very bare minimum needed to pass as that character, and whether they did even that well is debatable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 10:02 PM, MrPolynomialX said:

BREAKING: Someone Claims to have seen the movie through a test screening.

He seems to like it...

https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheMovie/comments/ayfi5j/saw_the_movie_ama/

I'm not touching it for the time being.

Which means it'll be factchecked by the time I do.

On 3/7/2019 at 11:07 PM, PeterPancake said:

And according to him, Robotnik isn't called Eggman 

And red flag.

On 3/8/2019 at 1:18 AM, PeterPancake said:

His description of Robotnik sounds like Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor 

Oh that bodes well....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

It looks as much like Sonic as that Cap looks like comic Cap.

 

- Blue fur? Check

- 6 Quills? Check.

- Peach/Beige colored patch of fur on his torso? Check.

- Red shoes? Check.

- White hands? Check.

- Green eyes? Check.

- Peach/Beige muzzle? Check. 

 

All of the important/recognizable design elements are there. The silhouette from the side is instantly recognizable as Sonic just as the Cap. Now I could have easily used the First Avenger suit which looks even less like comic Cap since that was the first attempt at his look in the MCU. 

 

But please, let's not with the hyperbolic "it looks nothing like Sonic!!!!!" mentality.. Because it does. The full design is easily recognizable.

Yes but by your logic this would be perfectly acceptable:

latest?cb=20150207013804

 

By your rationale here  if the live action version looked like Sanic it would be just fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

Boiling similarities down to simple bullet points like "he's blue" is like likening Donald Duck to Howard the Duck because they're both white. There are resemblences, but they are ultimately superficial and surface level only. There's a reason people keep likening it to a bootleg - it's the very bare minimum needed to pass as that character, and whether they did even that well is debatable.

They aren't superficial. There specific design elements taken from the traditional design (quills, muzzle) that are unique to Sonic's design. It's not like they took some Olympic athlete and poured blue paint on his body. It's the traditional design translated filtered through the vision of filmmakers that want him to look like a believable creature. I fail to see how there's anything bootleg about it. Going by that logic, any adaption that changes or enhances an original design for the new medium is a "bootleg" version of the design because it's not the original plastered on the screen (which is what many seem to want)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it says a lot that we have to double down on things like "blue fur" to defend a bad design. And before you bring it up again, I don't care about "their vision". If "their vision" makes it look like a mascot for a hemorrhoid cream. maybe it's time to consider that their vision sucks?

"Their vision" is also a super shitty defense. Someone else made the example earlier, but to extenuate the point further, if I made Sonic a drunken, racist idiot that swears at children, the decisions will be no less questionable no matter how much I say "well, it fits in my vision."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.