Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

6 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

Alright, this kind of snark isn't called for. Make a point if you must, but don't transparently mock other members while you're at it.

That goes for everyone here. I'm not going to be issuing this warning twice.

Thats fine, sometimes i can be a bit too dry for my own good.

8 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

Those thing are a lot more generic than you're giving them credit for. Fucking hell, Sonic didn't coin the idea of an anthropomorphic animal. A character can have a bullet list of resemblances and still only vaugely resemble their source material, and simply adding more of them isn't improving your point any.

He is the Sonic as everybody knows him with all of his most unique, IDENTIFIABLE features that are unique to him. If somebody walks past the poster in a theater, they'll know who it is. Thick thighs and blue arms aren't going to be the deciding factor for the general audience if he looks like the "furry blue Hedgehog I use to play when I was a kid". To say it looks nothing like Sonic because of the changes is ridiculous hyperbole. 

6 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Holy shit that's exactly why the same approaches don't work for both. I genuinely don't know why this is so hard to understand.

I can firmly understand why the idea thay the aren't comparable keeps being championed. But I also firmly stand by my assessment that the origins of the original designs for these characters does not matter when the same philosophy used on Cap is now being used on Sonic. We can only argue within the parameters of the design itself. Not whether Sonic was based on Mickey Mouse or Cap Is a human being. The simple fact is - both of their original designs were unacceptable and not presentable within the confines of the story and medium both of these studios wanted to tell with these properties. The rest is irrelevant. 

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

How are you going to downplay one of the most iconic and memorable parts of Sonic's design like this? You point out the green eyes, something his design didn't originally have, something he shares with some Sonic characters, any number of other cartoon characters, and actual people, something that's hardly noticeable if at all in anything but a close shot, but completely dismiss any concerns over the loss of a feature so iconic that it's part of Sonic Team's own logo and practically every other "silhouetted Sonic head" variant?

Or, y'know, acknowledge it as ugly and dumb.

Because Sonic: the Anthrophomorphic blue Hedgehog is now widely recognized as having green eyes. It does not matter it Snoopy Snoop also has green eyes, Sonic had them and this is an adaptation of the Sonic franchise. 

I can assure you that casual fans don't pay enough attention to the classic design of Sonic to notice that the new version doesn't have a cyclone eye. The new design is meant to pay homage to that aspect anyway, they have not completely ignored it.

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

I can firmly understand why the idea thay the aren't comparable keeps being championed. But I also firmly stand by my assessment that the origins of the original designs for these characters does not matter when the same philosophy used on Cap is now being used on Sonic. We can only argue within the parameters of the design itself. Not whether Sonic was based on Mickey Mouse or Cap Is a human being. The simple fact is - both of their original designs were unacceptable and not presentable within the confines of the story and medium both of these studios wanted to tell with these properties. The rest is irrelevant.

The designs not even being remotely comparable is exactly why using the same philosophy on both doesn't work, I don't know how many more times this has to be said for you to understand.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

To say it looks nothing like Sonic because of the changes is ridiculous hyperbole.

If anyone is actually saying this, it certainly isn't me.

My argument isn't that it looks nothing like Sonic. My argument was that it's practically the bare minimum needed to fulfill that. That hasn't changed since I started speaking up about it. If anyone here is exploiting hyperbole, it's you.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, DreamSaturn said:

The designs not even being remotely comparable is exactly why using the same philosophy on both doesn't work, I don't know how many more times this has to be said for you to understand.

Well that's *Exactly* what they did to Sonic. So whether it's right or whether it should have been done is a non-factor. Because it *Has* been done. This is reasoning for why Sonic looks the way he does in this movie.

I'm not the one who came up the design or made the decision to utilize the same method. But that's the decision *They've made. It has nothing to do with me not understanding the difference 

Personally, I think this design would be better received if the Detective Pikachu design hadn't been shown before it.  It tends to look a lot better than many others like the creepy Ninja Turtles, the Genie, Bowser, and others...  but juxtaposed next to this:

Image result for pikachu movie cute

It starts to fall through.  It would have it's haters, though probably not as much.

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

Well that's *Exactly* what they did to Sonic. So whether it's right or whether it should have been done is a non-factor. Because it *Has* been done. This is reasoning for why Sonic looks the way he does in this movie.

I'm not the one who came up the design or made the decision to utilize the same method. But that's the decision *They've made. It has nothing to do with me not understanding the difference 

Lots of things have been done. That doesn't mean the decisions deserve any less scrutiny or criticism, because they are bad decisions and it's been talked in excruciating detail as to why they're bad decisions. If you haven't caught on by now, you just don't want to.

For someone who says they didn't come up with the decisions, you sure are going to some great lengths to defend every single one made of the movie.

• Thumbs Up 2

I also don't really think the superheroes and Sonic are very good comparisons.  Not just for the reasons outlined before, but because, like... superhero costume alterations actually are pretty contentious subject matter. (Albeit not as much so these days where comic book movies are actually common)  So using it as justification as though they are universally accepted and well-received is a little bit odd to me.

3 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Personally, I think this design would be better received if the Detective Pikachu design hadn't been shown before it. 

I personally don't like how Detective Pikachu looks, either.  It's just the lesser of the two evils for me.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Fucking hell I said no Paramount shilling bullshit from you anymore.

Have a strike for electing to ignore my warnings in the rules post I made, and if I see you do this again you can have a suspension too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I could continue to push the importance of the architecture that the design is built upon but I think @Wraith covered a fair counterpoint so I'll drop it myself for now. Instead I'll address this.

4 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Thick thighs and blue arms aren't going to be the deciding factor for the general audience if he looks like the "furry blue Hedgehog I use to play when I was a kid".

There are two problems with this that I am aware of and makes this argument kind of hard to buy into.

1) I've heard on numerous occasions that this movie is meant for the general audience and not Sonic fans so saying that Sonic fans who see this poster are going to see the movie seems a little strange to me especially considering how most vocal Sonic fans have been reacting to it.

2) Now this is probably even more important since you decided to play the nostalgia card, but Sonic fans who stopped playing Sonic are nostalgic for the classics as Mania proved or the Adventure Era based on the constant demand for Sonic Adventure 3 to the point that its Facebook page is still going to my knowledge. But here is the problem with those groups; the classic fans hated the adventure redesign and birthed the green eyes memes while Adventure fans have an acute eye for detail constantly bringing up the effects that the power ups had on Sonic's appearance as well as the Soap Shoes. Considering how important these things are to Sonic fans I'm surprised that you believe that their recollection of the franchise is so fuzzy that they would watch this movie unironically if at all simply seeing the movie design and ideas behind it as Sonic continuing to fall from grace and more justification of them leaving the fandom.

To me you are far too undermining how important Sonic as he was is to his fans who left the fanbase and that you can believe that a movie that is supposedly not even for the fans and drastically changed his design architecture will bring these former fans back is amazing to me. In a way I feel like you give Sonic's fans too much credit and faith in them being forgiving and open. Considering the typical discourse in this thread that further surprises me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, at least the Pikachu looks freaking adorable, and has nothing that screams it was painted on instead 

(BTW, off topic but I seriously just received 4-5 notifications about Sean's last post lol).

Had to agreed. The people who working on the Detective Pikachu movie did a pretty good job on the marketing. While, the marketing so far for the Sonic Movie have been pretty much jokes and memes.

Oh, on an unrelated note, Detective Pikachu will have some presence there at SXSW.:

I do really hope we get our first look of the trailer there. They do need to start marketing more on this film soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

I see we've come full circle back to the "Someone made this decision, thus this design and decision is fine." argument.

3 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Thick thighs and blue arms aren't going to be the deciding factor for the general audience if he looks like the "furry blue Hedgehog I use to play when I was a kid".

If someone only played the Genesis/Mega Drive games and sees this thing, I don't think the reaction would be "Oh, it's that blue Hedgehog I used to play when I was a kid", rather more like ""Wait, is that the blue Hedgehog I used to play when I was a kid?". Because ,you know, totally different proportions, different attire, different face, some limbs are colored differently...never seemed like he was furry in the old games..bassically the only thing that remained the same are the blue and beige colors.

• Thumbs Up 8

Reminder that the guy doing the score for this movie also did this

Just imagine if we got something this epic in a scene set on Sonic's planet. Maybe there's some kind of war going on between Sonic's people and varying factions 

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Maybe there's some kind of war going on between Sonic's people and varying factions

I would suggest you lower your expectations so you don't set up yourself for disappointment.

• Thumbs Up 4

I feel like whatever your opinion on the game, Forces taught us that Sonic and "war" don't really go together tonally. Even the Archie comics were at their best when they were just treating it more like the games.

• Thumbs Up 5

7 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

The comics are currently basing their look of Cap on the movies for brand synergy. Before the MCU, Cap was always in bell bottoms and fish scales

They definitly did some different styles of boots and gloves pre mcu https://www.forbes.com/sites/alishagrauso/2016/05/02/infographic-the-amazing-evolution-of-captain-americas-costume-over-the-years/#62ed826e4163

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Still, we're talking about a costume change, vs changing the body (proportions, fur vs skin, nose type, eye size, etc.) itself of a character. Apples and oranges.

This isn't a case of arguing whether should Sonic's shoes have a buckle, velcro or laces...we're talking about his actual body.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I feel like whatever your opinion on the game, Forces taught us that Sonic and "war" don't really go together tonally.

I still think Sonic can work in a wartime setting. The story just needs to be better than what Forces gave us.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

The general consensus is picking the next event on the calendar and hoping something is there.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

10 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

I still think Sonic can work in a wartime setting. The story just needs to be better than what Forces gave us.

I think a wartime setting in Sonic's world and timeline would be just weird no matter how they would go about it. I personally would be a lot more acceptive of the concept if Sonic and co. would get transported into the future or something. A bit similar to what they did Sonic 2006, just, you know..actually well executed this time. Or an alien invasion like in Shadow, but this time more focus on the invasion perhaps.

• Thumbs Up 1

Someone in Tumblr compared the LIFE action Pikachu Detective movie with the Sonic  movie and it really shows that The Pokémon movie didn't sacrifice the details of the original designs for the sake of realism.  Sonic the movie should have done that too

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I feel like whatever your opinion on the game, Forces taught us that Sonic and "war" don't really go together tonally. Even the Archie comics were at their best when they were just treating it more like the games.

It can work, one can still have a fun filled adventure while in the backdrop there is a war going on.

latest?cb=20140102120406

• Thumbs Up 2