Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

1 minute ago, tailsBOOM! said:
  Hide contents

According to the source, they had two test versions.  Which is why the leaker can't be in legal trouble.  

Hm. What exactly do you mean by 'interesting'?

1 minute ago, Myst said:

The Redditor from last week.also mentioned a Baby Sonic and said the film leans more on PG and is family friendly.

Not that I mind this, but if their goal is to cater to as many people as possible, why is this movie so half-assed with things that both fans and children would want to see?  I know this horse has been dead for months, but I seriously don't know what the plan is with this film.  Short of a very small allotment of funds and low faith in its ability to make a lot of money back through merchandising and fanservice, very little explains how askew this film's priorities seem to be.

21 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Anything else your source said? Also this isn't the Reddit guy I'm assuming.

I could easily imagine a MOS type scene where a baby Sonic is sent to Earth to escape the Great War that has decimated Mobius. 

We'll see

Just now, tailsBOOM! said:

Here's everything.  I posted it in several status updates:

Hide contents

The story he told was a little messed up.  For the most part, it was (For better or worse) true.

Tiki has a bigger role, as some stuff was left out of the test screening. (I'm seeing now that I might of misread the name?  Who knows)

This movie is PG-13, the leaker on Reddit saw the PG version of it)

Both versions are apparently being screened (Caught me off guard)

PG-13 screening has far more content

They're both being unanimously well received.

He said that the crewmember said he wouldn't believe any movie reports coming from DreamCastGuy (Regarding Gangster's Paradise), though he isn't 100 percent sure as that's not his position.

There is going to most (If not all of what that guy said) plus some stuff that the crew member is keeping close to his chest.  We'll have to see what that means (It may have been said but the screenshots didn't show if it did).

Uhhh interesting. So

How do I use Spoiler tags? Is this considered a Spoiler?

10 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Well some were.  It seems to me that if they intended to make a lot of money selling toys, they should have included more Sonic characters in this movie.  For all that the Bayformers films get a lot of crap, even they remembered that Transformers is about highly marketable toy robots.

Wave 2 could have more characters avaliable.

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"

Yeah sorry, but while that took a lot of people by surprise with how big a hit it was, you still need some realistic perspective.  The original Mirage books were a hit by the standards of indie graphic novels, and aimed at a more adult audience, but it was a branch of adults willing to accept outlandish ideas more than most adults.  The series only really got big when the cartoon was made catering excessively to children, and I'm guessing there weren't too many adult fans of the turtles up until those children grew up.

Also, it helps that almost every major version of Ninja Turtles has gone wild with a fantasy kitchen sink, which helps to sell people on the premise in a way that the silly title alone won't.  This movie doesn't look to have that.  Neither did the first Bayja Turtles film, and it was a lot worse for it.

7 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

Here's everything.  I posted it in several status updates:

Reveal hidden contents

The story he told was a little messed up.  For the most part, it was (For better or worse) true.

Tiki has a bigger role, as some stuff was left out of the test screening. (I'm seeing now that I might of misread the name?  Who knows)

This movie is PG-13, the leaker on Reddit saw the PG version of it)

Both versions are apparently being screened (Caught me off guard)

PG-13 screening has far more content

They're both being unanimously well received.

He said that the crewmember said he wouldn't believe any movie reports coming from DreamCastGuy (Regarding Gangster's Paradise), though he isn't 100 percent sure as that's not his position.

There is going to most (If not all of what that guy said) plus some stuff that the crew member is keeping close to his chest.  We'll have to see what that means (It may have been said but the screenshots didn't show if it did).

Man, this is nuts. The widespread backlash to the posters, twitter blowing up over 3 different character designs in one week, two different test screenings, rumors of Coolio for the trailer, and still no official reveal.

21 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Tails have you verified the authenticity of your source and if so, are any of Sonic's friends in the alternative version?

Maybe there could be an extra post-credit scene, such as one containing Tails, Amy or Knuckles?  I have no idea what that content is.

2 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

They're is a highly respected member of the community, and gave me screenshots of direct conversation with a crew member that I've been able to verify is a part of the movie (I've been asked not to give any specifics on either of them, as this kind of stuff could cause massive problems to both or either of them if they were to be revealed).  I believe that there aren't any, however maybe some of the removed material could be an extra post-credit scene, such as one containing Tails, Amy or Knuckles?  I have no idea what that content is.

Interesting. I wonder if Paramount is testing the waters to see which version people respond to the best. The PG-13/full version probably has most of the content you'd expect from the guys who made Deadpool and Fast & Furious. Even the writers have a history with writing adult humor, which I think could fit Sonic depending on which route they go with him. 

I just wonder what exactly was cut out from the PG-13 that was too intense for the PG audience besides the language. Maybe Robotnik goes batshit crazy in the full cut and murders his partner or something like that 

4 minutes ago, Tara said:

[spoiler]Stuff here[/spoiler]

Or type your message, highlight it, and click the eye 7e6536d7318f58fab77b19abe584fbbd.pngicon in the rich text editor.  Be aware that IPB has a lot of weird glitches with it, though.

Thanks, appreciate it. 

I kinda hope part of the reasons for the cuts was related to Sonic's planet. Where we see the reason why he's sent to Earth which is pretty intense and devastating. Taking inspiration from Archie, maybe we see The Great War as it's happening. We follow Jules (a freedom fighter) in the midst of the war. We see him trade fire and then is fatally wounded. He crawls to a baby Sonic, kisses him goodbye and then sends him to Earth through a warp ring - sacrificing his life to save his son so he can hopefully have a better life and not grow up on a war desolated planet. (Bernedette would still be alive and we'd see her as well. She can come in the sequels when Sonic goes back to his planet and makes friends with Tails

I don't know if this is true, in fact, it's probably bs since it's from TVTropes of all places, which is about as valid as Wikipedia, but I read that there was some kind of compromise that the director wanted to call him Robotnik, but SEGA wouldn't allow it, so instead, he's called Eggman as a nickname, and there's supposedly some kind of validation why he's called that whilst Robotnik is his real name.

So it's possible the toy makers are just using his legit name in the movie and not his nickname.

On another note, is there any images of the toys?

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I don't know if this is true, in fact, it's probably bs since it's from TVTropes of all places, which is about as valid as Wikipedia, but I read that there was some kind of compromise that the director wanted to call him Robotnik, but SEGA wouldn't allow it, so instead, he's called Eggman as a nickname, and there's supposedly some kind of validation why he's called that whilst Robotnik is his real name.

So it's possible the toy makers are just using his legit name in the movie and not his nickname.

On another note, is there any images of the toys?

It's true. The writers confirmed that Sega wanted the name in the movie but they wanted it to make sense in the movie. And since the leak is (likely real), Robotnik isn't fat and has hair. So it's probably something else. Maybe his designs are egg-like or something. 

47 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Imagine the intro being on Sonic's world and the War scene from Jules' POV like this: 

Ugh, this movie has so much potential 

You do realize that fanfilm was a SATIRE of how Hollywood would have handled Power Rangers if they didn't care for the source material right?

6 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

You do realize that fanfilm was a SATIRE of how Hollywood would have handled Power Rangers if they didn't care for the source material right?

Yes, I am well aware of the history of the Adi Shankar Power Rangers film. I'm just using it as an example of what my vision of the opening scene could look like. 

If I had my way and I was hired to pen the script, I would take lots of inspiration from the comics for the world building of the movie universe. I would want it to feel lived in and expansive. I hope they have some Space Colony Ark Easter eggs in this movie to allude to the sequel 

On 3/8/2019 at 11:05 PM, Sonic Fan J said:

I'm kind of surprised that no one commented on the use of rings in this leak are pretty much the Warp Rings from Archie. While rings and extradimensional portals were always a thing in the classics, specifically using rings as a go anywhere device and in combat for combat purposes sounds way to much like Finitevus to me and I'm suddenly seeing Penders talking about legal action and creators' rights. Just for that alone I hope this leak is fake.

Dr. Finitevus was created by Karl Bollers.

And Warp Rings were inspired by the Special Stage Rings from Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

On 3/9/2019 at 12:52 PM, SBR2 said:

Not every married person takes their partners last name. 

Case in point, Aleah Baker.

On 3/9/2019 at 6:13 PM, PeterPancake said:

It's a clever design choice imo. It's paying homage to the gloves while at the same time keeping the same design philosophy that Tim and Jeff wanted Sonic to have.

I have to imagine Tails and Amy have white hands as well. Knuckles would look a bit more weird tho

ElegantBlackAssassinbug-max-1mb.gif

I'll say.

On 3/10/2019 at 4:26 AM, FFWF said:

To me, giving Sonic white hands is actually less grounded than just giving him gloves.  What's the reason for this bizarre physical adaptation?  Why is it just the hands and why are they such a starkly different colour?  The simple fact is that the only reason the hands are white is to homage the gloves, even though it makes no sense on its own.  So... why not just give him gloves.  For that matter, I would even have accepted it if they had just given him blue or skin-coloured hands, because while it wouldn't match the original design, it would be consistent internally.  The white hands don't exhibit that internal consistency.

As a point of contrast, I don't really mind the separated eyes and I sense that a lot of people don't because the result isn't actually that different; I'm not even sure there are any Sonic characters other than Sonic and his recolours (for want of a better term) who have joined eyes.  The white fur bridge between the eyes I likewise think is kind of a silly and unnecessary gesture and I don't mind if they don't include it.

I've been trying to figure that out myself.

On 3/10/2019 at 6:27 AM, Rabid-Coot said:

I can't give a reason but on a quick look over my deviant art page I can cite some instances of glove fur but it is uncommon.

Ring-tailed Coati - black gloves.

Azara's Agouti - black gloves.

Squirrel Monkey - yellow gloves.

Painted dog - spotty white gloves.

Fennec Fox - off white gloves.

Canadian Timber Wolf - some light grey gloves.

Red Fox - black gloves.

Black & White Ruffed Lemur - black gloves (almost)

Domestication is where you really get the white glove fur effect with it occuring on dogs, cats, horses foxes and probably some others.

Really now? That's interesting.

On 3/10/2019 at 9:53 AM, Joy said:

Taking this design and rolling with it for a moment. If they went ahead and gave him white fur on his hands as a compromise for the gloves, why on earth did they not do the same for his feet so that we'd have some white sticking out of the shoes, representing the socks? It'd make the design more consistent with its own logic, and stop the legs from looking so...bare.

Good question.Might as well make it even, right?

On 3/10/2019 at 3:20 PM, MarioAmigosYT said:

Uh.. that's a completely different show. It's from Nick Jr. (which is owned by Viacom, Paramount's parent company.)

Ah yes, well, looks similar enough.

On 3/10/2019 at 3:38 PM, CaptainRobo said:

I know, I posted this response before, but it was deleted. So, I’m going to show what did he say when he responded to the movie Amy drawing.:

Ch'yeah. :lol:   

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:
  Hide contents

Imagine the intro being on Sonic's world and the War scene from Jules' POV like this: 

Ugh, this movie has so much potential 

...THIS IS SOMETHING YOU WANT!?

Ok I know different tastes but seriously all I feel watching Power/Rangers is pure unbridled rage.

You do realize that fanfilm was a SATIRE of how Hollywood would have handled Power Rangers if they didn't care for the source material right?

Personally I still call BS on that. They only said it was a "Parody" after the negative reactions started and going off Adi Shankar's other work and his claims of wanting to do an R-Rated Power Rangers Netflix show I can't help but think this is 100% what he wants PR to be.

...Sorry. I'm pretty passionate about Power Rangers.