Jump to content
Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Recommended Posts

It will be a massive swizz if Robotnik is Jim Carrey in a black coat. Even if this is just meant to be an origin story.

Kinda feel I've gone from knowing nothing about this movie to knowing too much now to the point of spoiling it for myself! Anyone else get the feeling we're ruining it for ourselves? (Before any snarky comments I'm one of the three guys still looking forward to this!)

I normally don't even watch trailers for anything I already intend to see.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder where they'll go for the sequel. If they stick to the classics, wouldn't be surprised if we got Metal Sonic

 

Since Eggman ends up on another planet, he's probably going to come back with advanced alien technology and we'll see more zany designs in the sequel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

It seems to me that if they intended to make a lot of money selling toys, they should have included more Sonic characters in this movie

BUY A SONIC PLUSHIE! AND A BABY SONIC PLUSHIE! AND A SUPER SONIC PLUSHIE!

AND A BABY SUPER SONIC PLUSHIE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...Right, I get it.  If even some of the leaked material is correct, I think I understand what this movie is trying to do.

The movie is shooting for an audience of '90s-era Sonic fans, specifically American fans, who dropped off before the jump to 3D.  That's why it's Sonic only, that's why they're calling the bad guy Robotnik, that's why the protagonist is a middle-aged man.  The target audience is a reflection of Tom the Cop, middle-aged men who see themselves in the protagonist and dimly remember Sonic and Robotnik, the idea being that they'll drag their family along to justify seeing a movie that's trading on their childhood nostalgia (and the kids will then buy the toys).  We thought that the focus was on humans because it was leaning on the "let's make Sonic all about humans" era of the franchise, but no, that's just an artifact of the generic Smurfs formula they're dropping Sonic into; what they're really shooting for is the edgy, more militaristic aesthetic of the '90s expanded universe material.  The agenda of this movie is to toss out any post-90s and Japanese source material, the better to double down hard on the Sonic of America and the '90s.  No wonder Sega had to fight for "Eggman"; the people working on this movie (and the people who are expected to watch it) had probably never heard that name.

All this agrees with a vague impression I'd been picking up all along, but couldn't quite articulate before now: This is essentially a movie from the 1990s.  Everything about it makes sense when you look through that antiquated prism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FFWF said:

The movie is shooting for an audience of '90s-era Sonic fans, specifically American fans, who dropped off before the jump to 3D.  That's why it's Sonic only

Well, they had to drop off real early, since by 1994, we already had Tails, Amy, Metal Sonic and Knuckles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Well, they had to drop off real early, since by 1994, we already had Tails, Amy, Metal Sonic and Knuckles.

Yeah; I'm not buying that there's nostalgia for any era of Sonic in this movie.  It feels like it's just testing whether the barebones of the license are enough to make a successful movie. If they wanted back-to-basics simplicity, this film would just be about Sonic fighting...whatever he's called to free his animal friends from robots.  No word on any of that being here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will concede the first potentially interesting thing about this movie is that it is a very rare bit of Sonic media that seems it will go into his backstory.  Of course it's also potentially cringey.  Baby Sonic seems like the sort of thing that could backfire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So now they want to market the movie for kids who want to buy toys? I knew this was a cash in but... Why not appeal to fans at this point?

And by the leakers comments, they aren't. Eh, I know I'm not gonna be pleased by the movie then.

The only positive I can think of is that both versions were well received, this thing at least has an audience who will like it. I'd rather have the PG13 version be final, since

Spoiler

It is more meaty. But yeah, everything about the leak is so weird. I get that it's an origin story but, I don't want to wait God knows how many years for an actual Sonic adaptation in a sequel.

No.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baby Sonic plush, this is really becoming a parody of itself, isn't?

I can easily picture a bunch of old men in suits sitting in a meeting room when another man slams the door screaming: 

- I HAVE AN IDEA FOR THE NEXT SONIC LINE OF TOYS: BABY. SONIC.

Just for another one to come right after him:

- AND HOW ABOUT THIS: SONIC. WITH A BEACH HAT

Do you think they also make a Sonic dream's Malibu House?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jango said:

Baby Sonic plush, this is really becoming a parody of itself, isn't?

I can easily picture a bunch of old men in suits sitting in a meeting room when another man slams the door screaming: 

- I HAVE AN IDEA FOR THE NEXT SONIC LINE OF TOYS: BABY. SONIC.

Just for another one to come right after him:

- AND HOW ABOUT THIS: SONIC. WITH A BEACH HAT

Do you think they also make a Sonic dream's Malibu House?

It's at times like this I'm especially glad I'm just not interested in any kind of merch for anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FFWF said:

We thought that the focus was on humans because it was leaning on the "let's make Sonic all about humans" era of the franchise, but no, that's just an artifact of the generic Smurfs formula they're dropping Sonic into

The last thing I'd assume was that they were drawing anything from the franchise.

3 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Well, they had to drop off real early, since by 1994, we already had Tails, Amy, Metal Sonic and Knuckles.

Easy, it's aimed at people who vaguely remember playing Sonic 1 once or twice at a friend's house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Razule said:

Easy, it's aimed at people who vaguely remember playing Sonic 1 once or twice at a friend's house.

I'm real curious how willing someone would be to pay money for something they have no emotional attachment to or real interest in. I mean, if you played Sonic 1 once or twice back in 1991-1992 then never bothered with the franchise ever again for 27-28 years, chances are you really didn't care for it at all. So are you really gonna be like "Whoa, is that a Sonic movie? I'm definitely gonna watch it!"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to make me feel a bit better about it, I'm gonna list my positives about the reddit "leak":

Spoiler

The City Escape scene, although not described

The origin that slowly leads them to become their games selves, especially Eggman

The humor seems okay, for kids

Rings have some kind of power at least

The post-credit scene

The fact that they enjoyed it and it wasn't finished, with possibly more scenes there is room for improvement?

Now the big wild negatives:

Spoiler

Everything sounds like it has nothing to do with Sonic. EW

The Owl thing and baby Sonic

No friends or easter eggs from the games. Meh

Most of the movie isn't even about Sonic as we know him

Robotnik's early look

Literally there isn't much to talk about. Even the plot doesn't sound much sadly

I don't think the design is the problem here, not the biggest at least. I don't want to wait to 2023 or so to get an actual Sonic movie adaptation. As it has been said, it's not meant for the fans, we are a niche audience. Not that I'm trying to justify them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FFWF said:

...Right, I get it.  If even some of the leaked material is correct, I think I understand what this movie is trying to do.

The movie is shooting for an audience of '90s-era Sonic fans, specifically American fans, who dropped off before the jump to 3D.  That's why it's Sonic only, that's why they're calling the bad guy Robotnik, that's why the protagonist is a middle-aged man.  The target audience is a reflection of Tom the Cop, middle-aged men who see themselves in the protagonist and dimly remember Sonic and Robotnik, the idea being that they'll drag their family along to justify seeing a movie that's trading on their childhood nostalgia (and the kids will then buy the toys).  We thought that the focus was on humans because it was leaning on the "let's make Sonic all about humans" era of the franchise, but no, that's just an artifact of the generic Smurfs formula they're dropping Sonic into; what they're really shooting for is the edgy, more militaristic aesthetic of the '90s expanded universe material.  The agenda of this movie is to toss out any post-90s and Japanese source material, the better to double down hard on the Sonic of America and the '90s.  No wonder Sega had to fight for "Eggman"; the people working on this movie (and the people who are expected to watch it) had probably never heard that name.

All this agrees with a vague impression I'd been picking up all along, but couldn't quite articulate before now: This is essentially a movie from the 1990s.  Everything about it makes sense when you look through that antiquated prism.

It also explains the inspirations to the Sonic Bible, which has been defunct since the moment it walked out of the door. It also explains why they're leaving what it actually the Sonic franchise in the dust for a mere apparition of a long abandoned version of the Sonic franchise.

They're not making a Sonic movie. They're making an American Sonic movie.

Not even Sonic Boom was like this, because that was acting as an extension of the existing franchise. It's a bold move, but not one that I see working; like Disney destroying the Star Wars EU that Lucasfilms made, only to leave behind a cheap imitation that does not reflect what it is meant to be.

 

I finally understand this movie. Now I'm apathetic to it. If new fans come to Sonic through this movie, what will they expect to see? And for that matter, this film will firmly plant misconceptions that the franchise still can't seem to shake off, like Eggman being Dr Robotnik (a name that Eggman only ever had in western localisations, despite still having the egg theme) and completely foregoing the 'Eggman' name.

No longer is it a poor adaptation, but it's an adaptation of the wrong thing entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.