Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Iam with ogilvie... 2016 looks likely when the film comes out, June 23rd 2016 iam calling it as its a Thursday so a 4 day weekend box office could give it strength. And obviously the 25th Anniversary.... big Sonic game to follow around oct/nov as well

I don't know if SEGA would care about symbolism THAT much to release it exactly 25 years after the first game, though it would be a nice gesture. A 2016 date in general sounds pretty plausible, though.

I'm just hopeful Sony doesn't have the irrational fear that it would conflict with Sly Cooper's release in the same year. It's possible to have more than one product per year, after all; to assume otherwise makes no sense given if there's one thing that people always spend money on, it's movies. Movies have actually been called a "recession proof industry" for a reason; so many people go to them no matter what their financial situation.

Now the real golden question is... what sort of game is going to accompany the film, whichever year it is? Ratchet looks to establish a trend of upgraded remakes of original titles in the same year as a game's film... could Sonic possibly do something similar? Or will they stick with a new game entirely, and just have some promo material for the film in it?

So basically, this will more or less be your 2nd/3rd project?

Edit: Wait, do you have any finished projects that anyone could go watch/look at?

I'm very sorry if this comes out like being rude or disrespectful, or if it comes out because of not being informed enough, as that is not the intention, but how does somebody with, basically, no references, come to work with a multi millon dollar franchise, in a project that is gonna cost as much as this one and that is gonna have as much exposition as this, out of the blue (no pun intended)?

Don't get me wrong, though. The potential a movie has is tremendous and I can't put it in words how cool it would be for this to come out great, and I really wish it would, the suspension of disbelief being so big that I'm almost already wanting to ignore all the signs and cues for disaster that have surfaced until now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just going to repeat my sentiments from a few weeks ago that if this is an adaptation of Sonic Adventure or something, then it might be the only chance of live action and CGI coming together for this to be salvagable.

And even then, I'd prefer it if they just stuck to the Unleashed style for the humans if it really was a retelling of SA1. What's even the point of live action in a Sonic film, anyways? I don't know who made that decision, but Van seems nice and capable enough to give us a good Sonic experience, since he's shown his fandom stripes. I hope the best for him in writing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

http://www.twitch.tv/vanrobi

Don't know if any of you knew this, but Van is playing some Sonic 1 on Twitch. Not sure if he's taking any questions about the film though.

Edit: He's also new to Twitch, as very apparent when you see it lol. tongue.png

Edit 2: Well that was...interesting. I'm guessing that Van is not used to how the internet community works. On his Twitter I should probably point to him some other Twitch walk throughs.. :P

I can agree with most of that, except the friends thing. I personally wouldn't want the movie clogged up with all his unneeded friends. Not just for myself tho but because the copious amounts friends that are in the series is still a bit of a raw point and may end up putting some people off. Keep it to a minimum in the first movie. Maybe just Tails and Knux, and probably Amy for all the people that believe a female needs a female character to relate to or have them become interested. Which is a load of baralium baloney btw

how does somebody with, basically, no references, come to work with a multi millon dollar franchise, in a project that is gonna cost as much as this one and that is gonna have as much exposition as this, out of the blue (no pun intended)?

Don't know if any of you knew this, but Van is playing some Sonic 1 on Twitch. 

Ok I don't want to be 'that guy' but... something about this doesn't make sense to me. I know that SSMB staff have apparently verified this guys identity, but... I don't know about anyone else, but something seems... off..

I've been looking around and try as I might, I cannot find any work that this guy has done other than than the stuff from IMDB, even this 'chewie' movie, is so early on there's no footage from it (that I can find), in fact the only thing I can find are a few photos leaked/shared on twitter 5 months ago... since then nothing.

Then there's the issue that this is a documentary, so it's not the same storytelling style as your conventional movie, it has to be written/edited together in a different way.

For other full length feature stuff... there is nothing. I can't find a thing.

Now I'm not saying that this guy isn't involved but... my question is the same, how do you suddenly go from having virtually no material out there, to a franchise as important as Sonic unless the powers that be really don't give a toss? No offence to this guy, but it would be like me all of a sudden being hired to write a Sonic movie, yeah I'm a fan, yeah I'm qualified/skilled enough to write movie scripts and yeah I probably could put a story together... but to be given the job of a franchise like Sonic? That would seem like a stretch considering my writing history being nothing when it came to movies.

The second thing which I find odd, and this is further curious by his twitch streaming.

Why isn't he under a total NDA? 

I've been under NDA's, both from Sega and other companies. In fact I've still (technically) under an NDA now for something, Whilst there's been no details given other than 'it's not going to be based on Boom,' I am curious at how 'public' this guy has been about saying 'I'm involved with this project.' Only... past movie projects have shown that writers are not allowed to talk about what they're involved with? But this guy has been very active on social media about his involvement? Given how new he is to the business, this strikes me as being very strange.

I don't know if Van is reading this or intends to reply to any future stuff, but it might resolve some concerns if we had some examples of your work which was feature length or how you were actually picked for this. Just that I don't understand how you'd go around advertising yourself as being a 'big Sonic fan' to film executives and that being the primary reason for a hire when the project is ultimately going to be movie.

• Thumbs Up 4

You know Hogfather, I actually had the same thoughts. I mean, when I watched his Twitch feed, something seemed...off. I originally passed it off as him being new to the whole Twitch thing with video game walkthroughs and everything. I mean, he only played Sonic 1 for about a few minutes in silence, and while I can take that as him concentrating on the game itself, I mean, I've seen people at least try to talk about some things, even if they end up stumbling at some point. The whole thing felt forced, and again, that could be because it was his first time doing something like that, but it felt odd all the same. 

Nice to see you here, Van.

Here's my question:

When did you become part of the project?

About Januaryish?

I'm very sorry if this comes out like being rude or disrespectful, or if it comes out because of not being informed enough, as that is not the intention, but how does somebody with, basically, no references, come to work with a multi millon dollar franchise, in a project that is gonna cost as much as this one and that is gonna have as much exposition as this, out of the blue (no pun intended)?

Don't get me wrong, though. The potential a movie has is tremendous and I can't put it in words how cool it would be for this to come out great, and I really wish it would, the suspension of disbelief being so big that I'm almost already wanting to ignore all the signs and cues for disaster that have surfaced until now.

Not offended at all. I think this comes from somewhat of a lack of understanding about how the career of a screenwriter works. I've actually been at this quite awhile though my imdb page is a poor reflection of that. For every movie that gets made in Hollywood, dozens more are written and paid for by movie studios. All of the movies I've written currently fall into three categories, movies that aren't happening for one reason or another, movies that are going to happen but haven't yet, and movies that might happen. It's a little confusing and counterintuitive that as a screenwriter you can have a great career with no movies made yet, but that's where I am right now.

I do feel very lucky to have gotten the chance to work on the Sonic film, but it's not like it's my first professional project as some people seem to be thinking.

As an aside, the script for Chewie (a script I wrote back in 2011) is floating around on the darker corners of the internet if anyone wants to go searching for to get a better idea for my writing.

Don't know if any of you knew this, but Van is playing some Sonic 1 on Twitch. Not sure if he's taking any questions about the film though.

Edit: He's also new to Twitch, as very apparent when you see it lol. tongue.png

Edit 2: Well that was...interesting. I'm guessing that Van is not used to how the internet community works. On his Twitter I should probably point to him some other Twitch walk throughs.. tongue.png

Sorry I have no idea what I'm doing, I hope I wasn't too unwatchable! This was only my second attempt at twitch and my third time ever on that site! Apparently my volume was WAYYY too loud also...

Again I need to ask.

Is there any truth to that dark and gritty storyline direction?

Can't get into plot details, but no one ever said the words "dark and gritty" to me, nor have I said them to anyone.

Ok I don't want to be 'that guy' but... something about this doesn't make sense to me. I know that SSMB staff have apparently verified this guys identity, but... I don't know about anyone else, but something seems... off..

I've been looking around and try as I might, I cannot find any work that this guy has done other than than the stuff from IMDB, even this 'chewie' movie, is so early on there's no footage from it (that I can find), in fact the only thing I can find are a few photos leaked/shared on twitter 5 months ago... since then nothing.

Then there's the issue that this is a documentary, so it's not the same storytelling style as your conventional movie, it has to be written/edited together in a different way.

For other full length feature stuff... there is nothing. I can't find a thing.

Now I'm not saying that this guy isn't involved but... my question is the same, how do you suddenly go from having virtually no material out there, to a franchise as important as Sonic unless the powers that be really don't give a toss? No offence to this guy, but it would be like me all of a sudden being hired to write a Sonic movie, yeah I'm a fan, yeah I'm qualified/skilled enough to write movie scripts and yeah I probably could put a story together... but to be given the job of a franchise like Sonic? That would seem like a stretch considering my writing history being nothing when it came to movies.

The second thing which I find odd, and this is further curious by his twitch streaming.

Why isn't he under a total NDA? 

I've been under NDA's, both from Sega and other companies. In fact I've still (technically) under an NDA now for something, Whilst there's been no details given other than 'it's not going to be based on Boom,' I am curious at how 'public' this guy has been about saying 'I'm involved with this project.' Only... past movie projects have shown that writers are not allowed to talk about what they're involved with? But this guy has been very active on social media about his involvement? Given how new he is to the business, this strikes me as being very strange.

I don't know if Van is reading this or intends to reply to any future stuff, but it might resolve some concerns if we had some examples of your work which was feature length or how you were actually picked for this. Just that I don't understand how you'd go around advertising yourself as being a 'big Sonic fan' to film executives and that being the primary reason for a hire when the project is ultimately going to be movie.

I'm starting to think you might be a hater. Are you a hater?

Hey is this guy a hater?

Oh boy the cadence certainly indicates comedy but let me tell ya, you're asking for trouble with that last part of your post :V

I was cool until you said "hater." Confirmed fishy. Not saying you can't opinions but that comes off.. just a wee bit unprofessional.

I guess this is where I disappear from this topic.

Oh boy the cadence certainly indicates comedy but let me tell ya, you're asking for trouble with that last part of your post :V

I was joking, but does hater mean something different here? Is there a whole history that's going over my head?

Not at all, it's just you're going to be taken as seriously asking if this guy is just dumbingly hating on you for no reason tongue.png

EDIT: That said, you just confirmed it was a joke publicly. Just saved you some PR, buy me things in return :V (for the record I'm also joking)

Not at all, it's just you're going to be taken as seriously asking if this guy is just dumbingly hating on you for no reason tongue.png

He already thinks I'm unqualified AND an impostor (a double fraud?) Surely it can't get much worse (OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE!)

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey is this guy a hater?

I dunno why but this made me giggle a little. 

sorry hoggy D:

• Thumbs Up 4

He already thinks I'm unqualified AND an impostor (a double fraud?) Surely it can't get much worse (OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE!)

Depending on your choice of toilet paper orientation, you may be considered a lovable rapscallion or the second coming of Genghis Khan.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey is this guy a hater?

I don't think Hogfather is a "hater," so much as he was just a tad (and I'd argue, reasonably) skeptical.

You give a good enough reason for the small list of credits - a lot of what you've worked on isn't publicly known yet. So while industry officials will know your work (good lord the chain of NDAs between all the company executives must be horrid), rank and file people like ourselves will not.

SEGA is a company that is infamous for a lot of decision blunders, but a film is a big deal. I don't think they would hire just anybody to do it, so I'm convinced that indeed, a lot of the projects Mr. Robichaux are working on aren't publicly known yet. Let us consider that scripts for comic books are written years upon years in advance, and I wouldn't doubt movies are the same way. If not even further in advance, given a LOT of work has to come together to make them possible.

Now that being said, I think Van was just having a little fun and didn't mean anything by it, so let's move past this issue and work to keep things civil. And, while fun is all good and such, let's avoid namecalling (even jokingly) so as to ensure a positive atmosphere. smile.png

I doubt SEGA even factored in much in the hiring- their involvement seems to have been giving the license and telling Marza to animate, otherwise this is a Sony film.

I'm gonna dodge the question and just say I use the three seashells. 

Omg did he just make a Demolition Man joke?

Omg he did.

You're my new favourite person.

• Thumbs Up 2

I doubt SEGA even factored in much in the hiring- their involvement seems to have been giving the license and telling Marza to animate, otherwise this is a Sony film.

And I doubt SEGA, despite their flaws, wouldn't want to keep tabs on all major people involved in the project. Presumably Sony would have hired Mr. Robichaux, and SEGA would have reviewed this and given the go ahead.

It's sort of like how Archie more or less can do whatever it wants on a day to day basis, but they have to submit all their plans to SEGA for review.

It's why I said "factored in much"- obviously they had to be consulted, but the decisions are likely taken by Sony and then ran by SEGA.

It's why I said "factored in much"- obviously they had to be consulted, but the decisions are likely taken by Sony and then ran by SEGA.

Oh, well of course.

I just mean I'm sure Sony looked at the credentials and hired Mr. Robichaux, and then SEGA was shown the selection and also reviewed the credentials before giving their approval.

Sure, it seems redundant... but it's sort of like how you can count out all the money for a cashier and they'll do it again anyway.