Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I'm gonna be biased here, but it actually seems like "Dr.Robotnick" is actually more iconic than Eggman from what I've seen.

Whenever I show an average person a Sonic picture that has Eggman in it, they usually refer to him as Robotnick. A lot of memes that have Sonic related stuff (not fandom crap that a non-Sonic fan wouldn't understand, but just your average shitpost) in them also refer to Eggman as Robotnick.

It honestly makes sense to me.

I want to say it will make more sense to call him Robotnik since it's hard to make a live actor look like an egg, but it's possible he won't use any robots in this film either.  So right now the most accurate name for him is probably Jim Carrey.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I'm gonna be biased here, but it actually seems like "Dr.Robotnick" is actually more iconic than Eggman from what I've seen.

Whenever I show an average person a Sonic picture that has Eggman in it, they usually refer to him as Robotnick. A lot of memes that have Sonic related stuff (not fandom crap that a non-Sonic fan wouldn't understand, but just your average shitpost) in them also refer to Eggman as Robotnick.

It honestly makes sense to me.

I haven't heard anyone refer to Eggman as Robotnik legitimately in the past decade or so unless they played one of the classics twenty years ago, and are completely outdated on the fact Eggman is his actual name.

That's what it feels like to me more than anything, and kind of makes me worried. It doesn't feel like a tactical decision to home in on a certain age range or anything, it feels like the writers, directors, or someone high in the creation line is completely out of date in terms of what has evolved with the series beyond the very first game, and doesn't understand that not only is a ton of these ideas and plot points completely outdated, but were outdated for a good reason in the first place, including the Kintobar, Robotnik, normal hedgehog stuff.

It's incredibly worrying because it now begins to feel like someone is so out of touch with this franchise that the reason we've got so many things that feel ridiculously non-Sonic like is seemingly because no one bothered to look past the very first title of the series, and a bible that was outdated within a year, especially since by Sonic 2, pretty much every Sonic product was doing their own thing continuity wise. It frankly wouldn't shock me if they thought that literally all there was to Sonic was the original Genesis game and whatever scraps of details they could get out of the bible and they thought "shit, better add a real life locale!" to try expand things out.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, andrewtuell1991 said:

@Demondeano18

I also don't see how that guy is "menacing" (the other word that gets brought up)...

Assuming these rumors are true, it baffles me.  The Sonic Bible is literally THE last thing I ever expected the franchise to revisit.  It was discarded almost immediately by its country of origin in favor of a 2nd Sonic Bible which became the basis for SatAM and the Archie comics.  Only European fans would have any real nostalgic attachment to that old backstory through the Fleetway comics and even that left out details like orphan Sonic, dead father, and other tidbits.  Like you keep asking, "Why now?".

How closely is Sega of America working with Paramount on this film?  The only thing I can think of is some conspiracy theory of a long-time employee who worked on the Sonic Bible being angry that SoJ has ignored the western half of Sonic for so long and finally got an opportunity for revenge by sneaking fragments of the old continuity into the movie under the radar.  I got nothing else.

The one you linked to is actually the Sonic Bible III, but the point still stands. Europeans got the Bible’s second draft, but heavily altered as a book and gradually ignored more and more, but Americans had a bunch of conflicting continuities around one single idea.

Speaking of Sonic's friends and since they won't be in the movie, what I would really hate is that they nickname some of the human characters as characters from the games for a cheap 'wink wink nod nod' reference. Such as "Hey, look! This guy on the police force is an ace pilot and likes foxes! We call him Tails!" and "This guy used to be a heavy weight boxer and mainly uses his fists to solve his problems! He's called Knuckles!" or an officer named Amy Rose that uses a sledgehammer to fight off robots/badniks in the movie's climax. I'd say 'screw this movie and hard!' even more so.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Way Past Cool 1
  • Absolutely 1

6 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

Speaking of Sonic's friends and since they won't be in the movie, what I would really hate is that they nickname some of the human characters as characters from the games for a cheap 'wink wink nod nod' reference. Such as "Hey, look! This guy on the police force is an ace pilot and likes foxes! We call him Tails!" and "This guy used to be a heavy weight boxer and mainly uses his fists to solve his problems! He's called Knuckles!". I'd say 'screw this movie and hard!' even more so.

I sadly wouldn't be surprised to see Miles Prower be the name of a police officer...  Hollywood loves to do crap like that tbh.   Just leave my fox boy alone if you won't put him in normally!!!

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

They're gonna have Tails in the sequel 

I'm hoping so

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Demondeano18 said:

They have probably kept schtum because they know how volatile the sonic fan base is, yeah the design is a bit shitty and there are a few other questionable moves the movie's team have made but you all know you're going to see it on day one ;) 

For future reference, this is the sort of thing Sean already talked about in the rules appended to the opening post. I'd appreciate it if we could avoid these sorts dismissive non-arguments and generalizations because they're tired and drag the topic around in circles (again).

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, AdventChild said:

Speaking of Sonic's friends and since they won't be in the movie, what I would really hate is that they nickname some of the human characters as characters from the games for a cheap 'wink wink nod nod' reference. Such as "Hey, look! This guy on the police force is an ace pilot and likes foxes! We call him Tails!" and "This guy used to be a heavy weight boxer and mainly uses his fists to solve his problems! He's called Knuckles!" or an officer named Amy Rose that uses a sledgehammer to fight off robots/badniks in the movie's climax. I'd say 'screw this movie and hard!' even more so.

I could see them do both like in Christopher robin and have characters that vaguely resemble Sonic's friends. Like someone wearing all pink symbolizing Amy, and then if they sell enough Baby Sonic toys for a sequel, Amy actually appears.

1 hour ago, ShadowSJG said:

Lol. "Sequel". 

There is gonna be two Bad Sonic LIFE action movies that made enough money thanks to children and China Just to work.

And after the second movie being roasted in reviews we get another Hollywood reboot attempt with a Sonic movie that is much more closer to the games and design. And would be decent.  This is my prediction.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

There is gonna be two Bad Sonic LIFE action movies that made enough money thanks to children and China Just to work.

And after the second movie being roasted in reviews we get another Hollywood reboot attempt with a Sonic movie that is much more closer to the games and design. And would be decent.  This is my prediction.

That's certainly ideal. We just gotta sit through two, terrible, awful, cringeworthy films first. Buckle up kids, let's hope at least the memes make it worth it.

Im betting money before the final action scene Sonics gonna get his gloves and proper shoes and then fuck jim carrey up with (hopefully) an orchestral remix of some sonic song playing. I hope.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

There's no way they'd do that.

Yeah, well you'd think they wouldn't dare do live action + horrible CGI mix either, yet here we are. Basically anything goes for this movie at this point. The bar is so low at this point that it's burried underground.

6 hours ago, AdventChild said:

I sense a moody emo cop who REALLY loves his guns, with black hair that has a few locks of hair dyed red, and the comment "Ever since the incident involving his best friend, he's been a SHADOW of himself.." in the near future.

And he's gonna be listening to Blondie's 'Maria' song..

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

I think people are underselling the Robotnik name a bit here.

Sonic was always more popular in the west and in the 90s, and for that reason the name under which the villain was introduced to most of the world was Robotnik.  That name was aggressively pushed not just through the games but through comic books and cartoons, through the height of public awareness of the Sonic franchise, and the ultimate consequence was always going to be that an enormous number of people were aware of the Robotnik name even outside the core Sonic fandom.  The formal transition to the Eggman name only came in the 2000s, and the majority of that reinforcement came over a period where a lot of people were dropping off as the games changed, as quality and reputation dropped, and more importantly, as people grew up.  The result is that an awful lot of adult fans who only ever really followed the 2D games are familiar exclusively with the Robotnik name, and in general video gaming contexts it's still not unusual to see him called that.  Even in the transition to the Eggman name, the Adventure games made the extraordinary concession that Robotnik was actually the character's real name, integrating it even into the Japanese side of the franchise; and years later, Sonic Generations still felt compelled to acknowledge it!

So, when we heard that the movie was going to be using the Robotnik name rather than Eggman, I immediately understood why they would make that decision - even if it was also an early example of Sega's inability to hold the reins of their own franchise and make the movie relevant.  To the casual western consumer, I think he's still called Robotnik.

• Thumbs Up 3

I just noticed this...

IDW thread: it's too much like the games!

Movie thread: it's nothing like the games!

Lol, the irony is, I'm actually agreeing with the comments in this thread. Shh! No one can know my secret.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, FFWF said:

I think people are underselling the Robotnik name a bit here.

(....)  To the casual western consumer, I think he's still called Robotnik.

Nonononononono

Those are good arguments, but  they don't change the fact  that he was called Eggman for last 20 years.

What's might be Sonic's biggest problem is his inability to pick direction and sticking to his guns. So after 20 years of hammering  "eggman" into our heads, just going back to Robotnik would be further proof franchise's indecision which would continue to split the fandom over most trivial details.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's not really going back, when both names are correct nowadays. Robotnik is his given name, Eggman is the name he gives himself. He could at some point in the movie take the name Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Eggman is the name he gives himself

I will forever find that dumb. Why would he use a nickname that's meant to mock him?

• Thumbs Up 2

I always took it that he took it to spite Sonic.

"You can't use it to insult me if its my actual name hedgehog!"

Then Sonic moved onto McNosehair and it fell through.

3 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I will forever find that dumb. Why would he use a nickname that's meant to mock him?

He means that Eggman accepted the mocking as an actual name for himself throughout time.

1 hour ago, Gamecuber64 said:

He means that Eggman accepted the mocking as an actual name for himself throughout time.

Sounds like thus he gave up.