Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, Tarnish said:

I will forever find that dumb. Why would he use a nickname that's meant to mock him?

Because that explanation only exists in the English dub.  In Japan, he's been Eggman since Sonic 1 and the name "Robotnik" has only ever been used for Gerald and Maria.

1 hour ago, andrewtuell1991 said:

Because that explanation only exists in the English dub.  In Japan, he's been Eggman since Sonic 1 and the name "Robotnik" has only ever been used for Gerald and Maria.

Sure, but after going through all the trouble and effort with Sonic Adventure 1 where they mixed the two to get the best of both worlds, only to throw it away again, I can't help but still feel disappointed.

58 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Sure, but after going through all the trouble and effort with Sonic Adventure 1 where they mixed the two to get the best of both worlds, only to throw it away again, I can't help but still feel disappointed.

Some might say they... Threw It All Away

:P

• Chuckle 5

5 hours ago, Tarnish said:

I will forever find that dumb. Why would he use a nickname that's meant to mock him?

He took it and flipped it back around on Sonic. Besides he's always had an Egg theme to his weapons so what does it matter? 

Either way both names are equally silly. "Robotnik" because he makes robots. "Eggman" because he looks like an egg. They're both goofy and both are perfectly fitting names so this "Which is Better" war has always been pointless IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

He took it and flipped it back around on Sonic. Besides he's always had an Egg theme to his weapons so what does it matter? 

Either way both names are equally silly. "Robotnik" because he makes robots. "Eggman" because he looks like an egg. They're both goofy and both are perfectly fitting names so this "Which is Better" war has always been pointless IMHO.

Sure, both are silly, but I liked the idea that Sonic refused to call him by his proper name to mock him, which just pissed Eggman off. Now that aspect is gone.

If they actually acknowledged the name change in game, there would be reason for it.

Character development, it's a sweet thing.

4 hours ago, Tarnish said:

Sure, both are silly, but I liked the idea that Sonic refused to call him by his proper name to mock him, which just pissed Eggman off. Now that aspect is gone.

Baldy Mcnosehair?

15 hours ago, Tarnish said:

The same reason that America appropriated Yankee Doodle as a patriotic anthem, even though the original tune was explicitly used by the British army to mock colonists:  Irony.

After being ridiculed and insulted for so long, it isn't particularly out there that, when carrying out his ultimate, world-conquering plan, that he would appropriate the name Eggman as an extended middle finger to the people that mocked him.  At least, that's what I think the Adventure games were going for before they sort of just hoped that American audiences would forget the Robotnik moniker altogether.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

Baldy Mcnosehair?

Yeah I don't really get where Tarnish is coming from. Sonic regularlymakes fun of Eggman and all his villains. Being a smart ass and teasing them is kind of his whole thing. Because he has an attitude. 

So the movie's tagline "Try to keep up" sounded familiar to me but I was unsure of where it originated from. A friend suggested it came from AoSTH but that turned up no results. I decided to google the tagline directly...looks like they took it from Sonic Riders of all things!

image.png.11b705fc3ae1c2836e7cefad40ba772d.png

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

Baldy Mcnosehair?

True, that's basically the same category, just 10x more cringy.

And it doesn't shine a light on that his actual name is supposed to be Robotnik.

Plus, I guess the use of that name means in a few years, we'll be talking about the 'Baldy Mcnosehair Empire'.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Red said:

So the movie's tagline "Try to keep up" sounded familiar to me but I was unsure of where it originated from. A friend suggested it came from AoSTH but that turned up no results. I decided to google the tagline directly...looks like they took it from Sonic Riders of all things!

image.png.11b705fc3ae1c2836e7cefad40ba772d.png

"Try to keep up" isn't exactly an original catchphrase when it comes to concepts based around speed, you know...

• Thumbs Up 5

7 hours ago, Tarnish said:

True, that's basically the same category, just 10x more cringy.

I will genuinely never understand why people hate "Baldy Nosehair" so much.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wonder Park releases tonight.

I'm thinking we might see the teaser to Sonic with the movie, since Wonder Park & Sonic are both being released under the 'Paramount Animation' banner. (and DreamcastGuy claims someone from the 'Wonder Park' team showed him the teaser for Sonic.)

Do they even debut trailers with movies now? I though it was all about the internet and that x million views in the first 24 hours now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Keep in mind that movies these days are not stuck with a locked-in set of adverts and trailers when sent to theatres. Certainly here at my local cinema chain they are altered over time, especially if a film stays in the cinema for an extended period of time. I once hired one of the screening rooms to watch an older film on the big screen and it was preceded by a few trailers for current movies so they definitely have control over that. 

Regardless, I don't think specifically debuting trailers in theatres is really a thing. Especially in this day and age when they can just upload it online and it'll spread on its own. At most, the Sonic trailer might start showing up in cinemas around the same time it gets released online but not before, and definitely not attached to one particular movie.

45 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

He said TrailerPark not Wonder Park.

What's TrailerPark?

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

We'll probably get a days notice to make sure everyone is ready.

Like those disaster alarms?

• Chuckle 2

1 hour ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Do they even debut trailers with movies now? I though it was all about the internet and that x million views in the first 24 hours now.

Exactly! I don't understand why people keep assuming it has to be at this movie, or that movie, or the next movie.. when does that even happen these days? Why wouldn't they just put it on the Internet?

• Thumbs Up 1