Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Oh, well of course.

I just mean I'm sure Sony looked at the credentials and hired Mr. Robichaux, and then SEGA was shown the selection and also reviewed the credentials before giving their approval.

Sure, it seems redundant... but it's sort of like how you can count out all the money for a cashier and they'll do it again anyway.

This is more or less exactly what the process was (more involved but in this order), plus a lovely dinner with Satomi-san!

Omg did he just make a Demolition Man joke?

Omg he did.

You're my new favourite person.

lol, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who caught that.

imstillwonderinghowthatworks...

This is more or less exactly what the process was (more involved but in this order), plus a lovely dinner with Satomi-san!

Huh. I guess Satomi is more involved in SEGA affairs than I thought.

I wouldn't blame him for wanting to be more hands on after all these years, though. tongue.png

So where is the film going to take place in? since its going to be live-action and stuff or is everything going to be all fantasy like a real life looking green hill zone type?

Well, you all should take a look at this; coronacomingattractions.com/news/exclusive-look-chewie-screenplay-about-making-star-wars

It's about Van's script of Chewie.

Sounds really exciting.

So where is the film going to take place in? since its going to be live-action and stuff or is everything going to be all fantasy like a real life looking green hill zone type?

He probably won't be able to reveal information like this. I'm guessing not only is the film hardly anywhere in terms of development right now, but giving details like this so early on in the development cycle would probably breach a NDA.

He probably won't be able to reveal information like this. I'm guessing not only is the film hardly anywhere in terms of development right now, but giving details like this so early on in the development cycle would probably breach a NDA.

Ah ok makes sense,

I should of known it was too early to ask.

I think most of the specific details are sadly off limits at present. Most of the answers we'll be getting for a while will probably be general. For example, he said it was very unlikely any trailer would be ready by Comic Con. That doesn't really reveal anything, but it does at least tell us not to really get our hopes up for the rest of this year (there is the chance of a reveal at Boom 2014 but I get the feeling that's going to be heavily themed towards the Boom continuity, plus it would make more sense to reveal a film at Comic Con or E3).

In essence, we're going to get to see the frame and not the portrait for a while.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nice to have you here Mr. Robichaux, I have to admit I just joined this forum to talk to you xD I was minding to ask you two questions, though I would understand if you are unable to answer me:

1.- Do you think this movie will focus more on action/adventure or on comedy? Not like it has to be one or the other but recent Sonic games storylines focus too much on comedy while games from the Dreamcast era focused more on action and adventure.

2.- If you had to rank your favorite Sonic characters in a Top 10 list which would you chose and in what order?

Also let me tell you the Sonic fanbase is a great comunnity with a lot of passionate followers, but of course with passion there always comes disbelief, fear, hate and whatnot so please don't freak out by some fans reactions.

Not offended at all.

Ah, excellent, it had me kinda worried.

I think this comes from somewhat of a lack of understanding about how the career of a screenwriter works. I've actually been at this quite awhile though my imdb page is a poor reflection of that. For every movie that gets made in Hollywood, dozens more are written and paid for by movie studios. All of the movies I've written currently fall into three categories, movies that aren't happening for one reason or another, movies that are going to happen but haven't yet, and movies that might happen. It's a little confusing and counterintuitive that as a screenwriter you can have a great career with no movies made yet, but that's where I am right now.

I do feel very lucky to have gotten the chance to work on the Sonic film, but it's not like it's my first professional project as some people seem to be thinking.

As an aside, the script for Chewie (a script I wrote back in 2011) is floating around on the darker corners of the internet if anyone wants to go searching for to get a better idea for my writing.

You are correct, I wouldn't even know what a screenwriter even does other than what the name implies... I think I have one on my computer, though--no, I think that was a screensaver. Never mind.

It's very curious how that works, and it's very easy and inviting to jump into conclusions. It would be kinda funny (but not really) if the surgeon came to you just before you are due to the operating room and said "well, I haven't really operated on anyone yet, all my past appointments didn't happen for one reason or the other, but I have some new appointments either scheduled or awaiting approval". And in this case it would probably come from a doctor that works in a hospital that's known for having more than a few strange accidents under its belt... And given what we know about the movie, this is gonna be one hell of a difficult operation.

(This is just an example of how easy it is to jump to conclusions by comparing the situation, whether correct or not.)

In any case, I'm glad you can understand how the sight is, at least, from my and perhaps others' points of view, and if what you say is true then I can't really grab onto anything to make any new hypothesis, so time to play the waiting game.

Ah, excellent, it had me kinda worried.

You are correct, I wouldn't even know what a screenwriter even does other than what the name implies... I think I have one on my computer, though--no, I think that was a screensaver. Never mind.

It's very curious how that works, and it's very easy and inviting to jump into conclusions. It would be kinda funny (but not really) if the surgeon came to you just before you are due to the operating room and said "well, I haven't really operated on anyone yet*, all my past appointments didn't happen for one reason or the other, but I have some new appointments either scheduled or awaiting approval". And in this case it would probably come from a doctor that works in a hospital that's known for having more than a few strange accidents under its belt... And given what we know about the movie, this is gonna be one hell of a difficult operation.

In any case, I'm glad you can understand how the sight is, at least, from my and perhaps others' points of view, and if what you say is true then I can't really grab onto anything to make any new hypothesis, so time to play the waiting game.

Part of the art of screenwriting is that you make the movie on the page without having to actually make it. If you are curious about the process reading the scripts from movies you've seen can help to better understand.

http://www.simplyscripts.com has some available.

I'm starting to think you might be a hater. Are you a hater?

Hey is this guy a hater?

I'm starting to think you're dodging a lot of questions regarding your credibility and ability.

I don't think I'm the only one here by a long shot still sceptical on this and that kind of respose won't exactly win many favours in the confidence department on this project for what is essentially a "What films have you worked on" question. So far the amount of talking you've done would certainly violate if not come considerably close to breaking whatever NDA's would be on this project, so I don't think it's unreasonable at all to point this out since you could get into a lot of serious trouble if indeed you are involved with this you would certainly be on an NDA and you would be very close to if not already breaking it. So once again...

Do you actually have any work which is feature length that is viewable right now? 

How does someone go for having virtually no experience to working on a franchise as valuable as Sonic with so far the only reason given "Oh I'm a big Sonic fan."

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm starting to think you're dodging a lot of questions regarding your credibility and ability.

Hey is this guy dodging questions about his credibility?

Let's avoid escalating this, please...

So once again...

Do you actually have any work which is feature length that is viewable right now? 

How does someone go for having virtually no experience to working on a franchise as valuable as Sonic with so far the only reason given "Oh I'm a big Sonic fan."

The reason given is that a lot of his work is sadly not listed publicly right now. Now, some may think that sounds fishy, but as I pointed out, scripts for comic books are done years in advance a lot of times, and those are relatively easy to put together compared to a theater-quality film. It stands to reason scripts for a film (probably the easiest part of it, all things considered) could languish for years before a movie is finally ready for theaters.

And while we ordinary people naturally won't know any of these scripts, I imagine Mr. Robichaux can disclose his work regularly to industry insiders. A little NDA here and voila, the book is open.

SEGA makes a lot of bizarre decisions, but in this case, I'm confident they didn't approve just anybody. This is the mascot of their entire company, and furthermore, they've got a new American continuity they have to try and one up.

Also Hogfather, I'm pretty sure there were other movies that had newbies hired on them. I'm pretty sure I read about them somewhere, so I'm gonna do some research. At this point though, I do believe Van here is working the Sonic movie. What I'm really not to sure about is his, well, professionalism in the matter, but I like to chalk that up as him being new to this.

• Thumbs Up 1

The reason given is that a lot of his work is sadly not listed publicly right now. Now, some may think that sounds fishy, but as I pointed out, scripts for comic books are done years in advance a lot of times, and those are relatively easy to put together compared to a theater-quality film. It stands to reason scripts for a film (probably the easiest part of it, all things considered) could languish for years before a movie is finally ready for theaters.

Then why not just say, "No, they're not currently available since they're still in production?" or explain the whole "lingering" script stuff to people? I know about scripts lingering in the wild (or vaults) for years before they're eventually read and discovered, heck Predators was written as the original sequel to Predator at one point, quite sure The Matrix was batted around as an idea for over 10 years.

But other people do not and other people are going to come along and ask 'hey what else have you done that's feature length?' If there's nothing available, even saying "This would be my first project" would be a lot stronger statement than dodging it. 

Then why not just say, "No, they're not currently available since they're still in production?" or explain the whole "lingering" script stuff to people? I know about scripts lingering in the wild (or vaults) for years before they're eventually read and discovered, heck Predators was written as the original sequel to Predator at one point, quite sure The Matrix was batted around as an idea for over 10 years.

But other people do not and other people are going to come along and ask 'hey what else have you done that's feature length?' If there's nothing available, even saying "This would be my first project" would be a lot stronger statement than dodging it. 

Why not check on the internet by yourself? I'm sure you will find plenty of information like the scripts he has worked on or the Jetsons movie he will co-write. Seriously you look really eager to scare him away from this forum so please don't be on the dark side of the fanbase hogfather ;)

That's the thing though, he did explain that not all the films he worked on are publicly listed at the moment. One at that point simply has to assume that these secret credits were given to Sony on a resume, Sony felt Mr. Robichaux was qualified enough, and he was picked up for the job.

Yes, but how do we know you're the real Azukara? What are your credentials even?

Anyway, is the Chewie thing that movie that was kickstarted last year about Peter Mayhew's past and his (then?) upcoming knee operation? Edit: Never mind, it's not.

@Van

Van - did you know: When the Genesis Sonic games were released in the US, the stories were re-written. 

The original Japanese stories were much more detailed. This why the Sonic stories sometimes didn't make sense in the US - they weren't written by the team that made the games!

Later Sonic games continued the Japanese story lines, so they have a long history. From Sonic Adventure onwards, Sega of America kept to the Japanese story lines (although they still made some changes. Plus re-releases of the Genesis games used the US stories). 

They might be worthy checking out for inspiration. You can find them here: http://www.sonic-jam.org/

So what's this about this Van guy?

Van is Van Robichaux, one of the writers for the movie. we found him on twitter, I invited him to come to SSMB and talk to us. now Hogfather doesn't trust him because he can't find the information he wants on the internet even though hes proven himself to the mods about who he is.

Now you're caught up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not much. The most informative thing he says about the film is that it will focus on Sonic and not on the human interaction like most live action adaptations do. That's already a plus.