Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Let's be honest here, the movie does need to be wild and crazy, but in the positive connotation of the term, it needs to nail it. I'm not sure so far...

I'm not a Jim Carrey fan by any measure, but god his optimism about the role really has me excited.A perfect fit for Robotnik. 

Some impressions from Twitter. Only one auto-embedded for some reason, so you’ll have to click the links.

Controversial opinion: Sonic looks extremely off-putting, no way around that, but the movie itself looks............kinda fun?”

https://www.twitter.com/ScottWamplerBMD/status/1113868129472405504 

Got a look at the #SonicTheHedgehog trailer, focusing on Sonic teaming up with James Marsden to fight Dr. Robotnik and then got a Jim Carrey-centered version of the trailer where he seems to be back in comedic form. He may well be the best selling point of this one. #CinemaCon

https://www.twitter.com/joblocom/status/1113868443579584512 

6 minutes ago, MrPolynomialX said:

It is slowly falling apart...

There is no way this movie will be given good reviews from critics...

Who cares? The only thing that matters is if YOU enjoy the movie. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 4

2 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

Who cares? The only thing that matters is if YOU enjoy the movie. 

And the general audience :D They are the target audience for the movie 

And using 90s songs is VERY smart from a marketing perspective. They're going to want to bring In that nostalgic 90s audience 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

The director really wanted to make this movie by the way...

Some things are not meant to be in live action.

Abandoning the optimistic ship for the movie.

FAREWELL!

the humor so far sounds pretty shit tbh, so if the humor is what people are deeming its selling point, well this certainly ain’t sounding all that interesting or fun.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

the humor so far sounds pretty shit tbh, so if the humor is what people are deeming its selling point, well this certainly ain’t sounding all that interesting or fun.

*Looks at box-office for Bayformers and Bayturtles* Hmmm

• Thumbs Up 1

They supposedly put a lot of passion into this movie, and the filmmakers stated that something phenomenal was created and that they can't wait for it to come out...

Just now, PeterPancake said:

But those movies were bad...

Based on everything I'm seeing... it seems like most people who've seen these trailers are leaning more towards the positive side. Which, personally, makes me quite happy.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

...your point? Those films aren’t what should be looked at as goals. It also didn’t make its bank because of the humor. As I’ve said before, TMNT is already a hit franchise that’s exposed to the general market in multiple ways. And it has nostalgia to bank off of. It was gonna make tons of money regardless of its quality 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

Because as we all know, the joke where Bebop and Rocksteady checked out their dick sizes had theaters selling out by the millions

right?

• Thumbs Up 3

I spend SO much time over-analyzing everything in my life. I've decided (and I hope many of you do as well) to just try to have fun with this film and get the most out of it. If it's cringe, I'll laugh at it. If it's funny I'll laugh with it. No harm no foul. It's going to make money at the worst. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If I remember correctly, there was an excellent post on this topic from way back when that first trailer leak from Dreamcast Guy emerged that put it best - Gangster's Paradise is a song that goes into the idea of over-glorification of gangsters that was highly precedent in the 90s, and discussed serious issues like deaths, and the idea that following this ideal has left absolutely nothing left for him at the end of his life. 

So no, just having a "90s orientated soundtrack" isn't a good idea, and is honestly part of the problem. If you aren't going to put any intelligible thought in your soundtrack choices and just go for "whatever was popular in the 90s", then it isn't going to fit, and is going to look totally and completely ridiculous.  You are lining a blue snarky hedgehog up with a song that is literally a deconstruction of the over-glorification of gangsta life in the 90s, that does not fit in any way whatsoever.

The reason this is important is if you take a moment to look over your soundtrack and figure out which songs fit into your narrative, they can actually enhance your movie a lot. Shrek 2's soundtrack is mostly comprised of pop songs from big artists instead of "original pieces" and yet the reason the soundtrack works so insanely well in that movie is that the writers and director made sure the songs were relevant and spoke to the problems of the film.  Changes, Holding Out for a Hero (hell, both versions which convey different tones, and yet both are very excellent and tie into the film well), You're So True, Funkytown, Accidentally in Love, etc. All of these are different genres of music, done by different artists - big name artists on top of that, and yet all of them are fantastic because at least 90% of them have plot relevance, and are used to actual emotional effect instead of throwing in a licensed song by some pop/rap artists for no particular reason than "IT'S THE NINTIES!". 

So no, I'd say having Gangster's Paradise is an absolute failure on their part, and depending on how they used Everybody Dance Now - I could end up saying the exact same thing - granted I'd be willing to give that slightly more of a chance if it's being played to Eggman being hammy or over the top.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Absolutely 1

10 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Are you a bot? Are these same four shitty condescending non-arguments programmed into the essence of your fucking being? How many times are we going to have to tell you that the box office is meaningless to whether a film is good OR whether people like it?

• Thumbs Up 7
  • My Emmerdoods 1

And Shrek 2, the audience at the Cannes Film Festival gave it a standing ovation... for donkey dragon babies. Yeeeeeeeeahhhhgg.

10 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Weren’t those movies’ advertisements focused more on the action than the humor, though?

• Thumbs Up 3

Billie Jean is a song about a fan claiming MJ knocked her up. 

Born in the USA is an anti-establishment song that bashes the USA. 

God Only Knows is a song about wanting to die because you can't live without someone.

I feel ya, but 99.9% of people just jam out to most songs. It sucks, but it's about the sound and the vibes in this case. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, KHCast said:

...your point? Those films aren’t what should be looked at as goals. It also didn’t make its bank because of the humor. As I’ve said before, TMNT is already a hit franchise that’s exposed to the general market in multiple ways. And it has nostalgia to bank off of. It was gonna make tons of money regardless of its quality 

And Sonic has had as many if not more cartoons than TMNT. He is still one of the most iconic video game icons of all time. Second only to Mario. That's gotta count for something and it absolutely does. Nostalgia is a powerful marketing tool 

6 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Because as we all know, the joke where Bebop and Rocksteady checked out their dick sizes had theaters selling out by the millions

right?

Movies with juvenile humor can appeal to the general audience. TMNT's first outing brought in pretty big numbers and it bolstered similar humor. Deadpool's humor was funny as hell.

1 minute ago, PaddyFancy said:

And Shrek 2, the audience at the Cannes Film Festival gave it a standing ovation... for donkey dragon babies. Yeeeeeeeeahhhhgg.

I'm not really sure what your point is? Yeah, there's donkey-dragon babies, but given the rest of the movie is incredibly well-made, funny, and has an actual good lesson that isn't patronising, I have my doubts it got a standing ovation for donkey-dragon babies.

Oh look Sonic fans bitching and moaning about a new Sonic project. What a shocker! 

This sounds like lots of fun to me! I'll be there November 8 with a big smile on my face, you whiny Squidwards!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

Movies with juvenile humor can appeal to the general audience. TMNT's first outing brought in pretty big numbers and it bolstered similar humor. Deadpool's humor was funny as hell.

Your entire arugments are a whole lot of "cans" and "maybes", especially for outdated examples. There's a reason Out of the Shadows was a commercial flop.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Are you a bot? Are these same four shitty condescending non-arguments programmed into the essence of your fucking being? How many times are we going to have to tell you that the box office is meaningless to whether a film is good OR whether people like it?

I wonder how many times the mods are going to have to tell you to knock off these personal attacks. 😕 We're all fans, here. 

I'm addressing the box-office flop sentimwsentiments not the critical consensus. I never expected a Sonic movie to be a critical darling either way 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

And Sonic has had as many if not more cartoons than TMNT. He is still one of the most iconic video game icons of all time. Second only to Mario. That's gotta count for something and it absolutely does. Nostalgia is a powerful marketing tool 

Most of those shows unlike TMNT are known for being shit. And most of Sonics franchise doesn’t have the goodwill like the turtles do sooo...