Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Plot prediction for the movie:

Warp hole. Sanic and friends in our world. They crash with human virgin. Government finds out about Sanic. Government try to catch Sanic for experiments. Government is too slow. Government kidnap Sanic's slow ass friends and human virgin who Sanic has become attached too. Sanic surrenders himself. Human virgin breaks Sanic out. Some monologue about friendship from human virgin. Final battle with government. Monologue from Sanic that vaguely relates to the story. Government has a change of heart. Sanic has to go home. Goodbye human virgin. Human virgin gets a girlfriend. Movie ends on happy note. Cheesy pop song in the credits. Oh....and....uh...Eggman is in post credits scene to shut fans up.

Nailed it. But seriously I'm hoping they don't go this route. Mainly because I don't want to go through the trouble of suing SEGA and Sony for stealing my totally original idea. Actually it's because I don't think this kind of story would work with Sonic. Seems too down to earth.

I'm hoping they won't give sonic a human companion. I seriously hate it when movies add characters like those because they just end up stealing the attention away from the titular characters (the transformers movies are a good example of this). Last thing I want is a spiritual successor to Chris or Elise.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm really really Happy that we are gonna get a Sonic Movie. I just hope it's going to be good.

But Van seems to be a real Sonic Fan so there is Hope. :)

I'm not sure if this is even potentially answerable at this moment in time, but is the decision to shoot live action more of an aesthetic choice or a story choice? By which I mean, are cities being used because the franchise has a bit of a knack for destroying stuff in detail, or was it chosen specifically because there's a human there?

Or more broadly, will this be in the vain of Alvin, Smurfs, Garfield etc., or can we expect surprises?

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm...

In that case, this movie's status in my eyes has been upgraded from "certain doom" to "cautiously optimistic".

• Thumbs Up 6

I think people who are worried this will be Alvin, Smurfs, Garfield are going to be very pleasantly surprised.

Thanks; this makes me a lot less cynical about the whole affair. Now I'm cautiously awaiting what happens next. x3

• Thumbs Up 1

I think people who are worried this will be Alvin, Smurfs, Garfield are going to be very pleasantly surprised.

I'd just like to state the obvious and point out this could be interpreted multiple ways. Obviously Van can't further clarify details without breaking contract, but to give examples of various interpretations:

1) The film won't predominately feature live action humans to avoid the tropes.

2) The film will feature live action humans, but they'll be done really well this time and you'll really like them, honest!

3) Notable characters will be portrayed by live action humans, and done well (Obviously Eggman, but Tails and Amy spring to mind thanks to that April Fools day hoax).

4) People go to the cinema and voice their concern will be given a free Slushie, Sonic hat and a winning lottery ticket.

Personally I'd hope for option 1, or option 3 if we really have to do it. Although... option 4 is quite tempting.... Mmmm, Slushie...

*ears prick up*

Oooh really? In that case, I think I might stay cautiously optimistic about this then.

For the record, that April Fools' joke really was concocted by staff here. xP

But even still, I don't see why in the world anyone would make the animal characters live-action and leave Sonic as the only toony thing to be animated by Marza. It was that one piece of similar news that sunk Garfield right out of the gate.

• Thumbs Up 1

For the record, that April Fools' joke really was concocted by staff here. xP

Oh yes, I remember. Didn't Hogfather publish it? Who else do I have to thank for this glorious concoction?

But even still, I don't see why in the world anyone would make the animal characters live-action and leave Sonic as the only toony thing to be animated by Marza. It was that one piece of similar news that sunk Garfield right out of the gate.

Oh man, I didn't even consider this fantastic possibility! Sonic's friends, played by real live animals! It'd be like a feature length version of this!

Eh, given the critics reception of Sonic's friends, they'd probably love it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh man, I didn't even consider this fantastic possibility! Sonic's friends, played by real live animals! It'd be like a feature length version of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQSpgMuDVYw!

Eh, given the critics reception of Sonic's friends, they'd probably love it.

Nah. Given that they'd be Sonic's friends alone would probably set them off. :P

Daniel_Bryan_YES.gif

While I've been optimistic for this movie from the start, I'm very, very happy to learn this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well sign me up for being fairly positive for the movie as well, looks like my belief in Sonic doing well in other types of media is going to be true once again.

ya know, he never did deconfirm that the movie wasn't going to be like the ones he list. Just saying.

So, nothing like then.

Really curious to see how this is handled now.

So I do have a question related to that. 

This is very good news that it won't be like Smurfs or anything of that sort, but it does leave me wondering.. if it's not something like that, then why are we getting live action acting in a Sonic film anyways? This isn't going to be anything like the new TMNT or Transformers, is it? Or worse.. is it going to be like Sonic X? (only half joking about the "worse" part)

And if not, then what's the point of the humans being live action while the characters aren't? That just makes for an inconsistent art style to a movie featuring a very stylized and simple looking character. How would we even get Sonic-esque settings in a film based on the real world, unless you were making it similar to Unleashed? And even then, wouldn't actual real world places with live action actors look kind of silly with photoshopped loops and Marza's take on Sonic running through it? Why not just make the whole thing CG so it blends well together?

None of this is really adding up to me on how it'd make any sense, except for a few ways that I mentioned earlier that all don't sound too pretty. Am I missing something about this? I know it's too early to talk about it, but saying a Sonic movie requires a blend of live action and CGI kind of deserves an explanation from somebody up high. 

And again, it's not a matter of if the outcome is good or bad, it's just.. why?

Hmm, seeing Van's remarks this won't be like the other recent CGI/live action hybrids... I find room to be optimistic.

Now I'm mad we probably won't get an actual teaser until next year, though. Grrr, I want it now!

Fingers crossed for some sort of Boom 2014 reveal, however small it's likely to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I do have a question related to that. 

This is very good news that it won't be like Smurfs or anything of that sort, but it does leave me wondering.. if it's not something like that, then why are we getting live action acting in a Sonic film anyways? This isn't going to be anything like the new TMNT or Transformers, is it? Or worse.. is it going to be like Sonic X?

And if not, then what's the point of the humans being live action while the characters aren't? That just makes for an inconsistent art style to a movie featuring a very stylized and simple looking character. How would we even get Sonic-esque settings in a film based on the real world, unless you were making it similar to Unleashed? And even then, wouldn't actual real world places with live action actors look kind of silly with photoshopped loops and Marza's take on Sonic running through it? Why not just make the whole thing CG so it blends well together?

None of this is really adding up to me on how it'd make any sense, except for a few ways that I mentioned earlier that all don't sound too pretty. Am I missing something about this? I know it's too early to talk about it, but saying a Sonic movie requires a blend of live action and CGI kind of deserves an explanation from somebody up high.

Perhaps they are going with the Sonic Adventure kind of universe, and considering the movie is kind of an origin story perhaps part of it is about how Sonic and co fit in the real world, perhaps humans think they're a menace at first, we could even get to see G.U.N. going after Sonic at first (like in SA2 but for different reasons of course).

I'm not too eager to see live action people in the movie either, but honestly I'm excited to see the set pieces of the movie, like Sonic running through the city or a jungle, space or Eggman base scene with heavy special FX; more HD that you will ever know in a Sonic game.

But the "Sonic Adventure kind of universe" is the regular Sonic kind of universe. Colorful, crazy slopey Earth with humans, animals and the species inbetween that Sonic and co reside in. All that happened between SA and Unleashed was the humans changing design style from anime-realism to cartoony stuff... which since it resembles Pixar and the general CGI art style seen in other movies so much, I really wonder why want to go with live action people instead.

And yeah, Sonic running through a beach or jungle sounds like loads of fun, but where's the parts that make it feel like Sonic? I can't be more clueless on how they're gonna pull off something quite like Green Hill in a way that looks good beside a real tropical coast, if they even will do something like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Again and with respect to Van, but it'll ultimately be out of his hands :P No matter how good the script, anything from new producers coming in, producers changing mind, execs coming in, directors with different visions, Sony, SEGA, script re-writes, etc. What Van can assure us is that the first treatment of Sonic the Hedgehog the Movie will be good, and for that I again nod and wink how nice it'd be if he one day forgot it nearby a copy machine, but the actual final movie? We've got a long way to go :P

Yeah, There has be allot of convincing for Hollywood to get out of the cliched tropes that it likes to inject. I like the fact that Van wants to break the mold but theirs a long fight ahead to keep it that way.

But now I'd like to bump myself to "cautiously optimistic" now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thank God! Now I'm worrying a lot less about this film. All I need now is a trailer, or at the very least a teaser.