Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

"Dystopian Sci-Fi" you mean like the Super Mario Bros. Movie? Or SatAM? Or Forces? I'm not really seeing how that'd be a positive. 

"While Sonic is a somewhat recognizable face in the mainstream, I doubt most people have ever played a single game starring the turbo hog."

I... the sentiment of the entire statement is something I understand... but this undoubtedly could have been worded better.

How does one end up a recognizable face in the mainstream without the thing they're known for having been played by a good number of people? It's not like just hearing about Sonic is enough. Something tangible has to exist and be experienced by a significant number of people in order for word to travel, even to those who've never played a Sonic game. 

I suppose that's a little nitpicky in the grand scheme of things. I don't wanna be too hard on that sentence since it's most likely just a bit of an oddly worded statement. There ARE people who don't know enough about Sonic to get any Easter Eggs you hide in there so making it accessible to everyone probably is the best way to do that.

So obviously, the best way to go about that is to give him a scary monster body and promise us more aliens.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

Where do the aliens factor into the movie? Has Robotnik found a way into Sonic's planet? It sounds like Robotnik ends up on Mobius

59 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

Sonic being an alien? Isn't that one of the concepts for the origin of Bay Turtles' in pre-production? And throwing Transformer-ish robots in too.

All this is sounding like Michael Bay's Film Table Scraps the Movie (feat. Sonic the Hedgehog).

56 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Sonic being an alien was always going to be the obvious choice. He was an alien in Sonic X too 

55 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Alien Sonic?FFS

It seems for some people, the word "alien" implies physical travel.  A being of that designation doesn't just come from another world; to such people that being must be one who traveled through real space from there to here--although based on the info revealed, Sonic warps in instead.

Either way, I think the real issue people take with Sonic being called an alien is that it reminds them that this film isn't set in the world of the games.  Yes; Sonic X did that, but on the other hand, many people hate that show.

If the recent news confirmed that the Reddit leak is true, that means probably no Sonic's friends. The leaker say that none of Sonic's friends appear in the movie. That's a shame. Oh, well, going to enjoy what they have in this film.

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly never expected Sonic friends being in this movie from the very beginning.

My theory is, and has always been that this was meant to be an origin story. This is Sonic 1. Those "sequels" the production team kept implying they want make are likely supposed to be Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles, and maybe even Adventure and Adventure 2.

Not the smartest idea, I know. Alita Battle Angel was criticised by professionals literally only because it just felt like it was only there to make sequels, but the audiences completely disagree with critics about the movie. Most people don't really care either. Just because a movie implies that it's wants sequels doesn't necessarily mark it off as an objectively bad film. The MCU and Hobbit films did literally the same exact thing and yet they were praised.

10 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I honestly never expected Sonic friends being in this movie from the very beginning.

My theory is, and has always been that this was meant to be an origin story. This is Sonic 1. Those "sequels" the production team kept implying they want make are likely supposed to be Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles, and maybe even Adventure and Adventure 2.

Granting that we haven't seen the trailers yet, does it seem like Sonic 1?  Is there anything reminiscent of that besides Sonic and Robotnik being the only characters?

3 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Granting that we haven't seen the trailers yet, does it seem like Sonic 1?  Is there anything reminiscent of that besides Sonic and Robotnik being the only characters?

Reminds me more of the Sonic BIble.

Trailer was coming soon about a month ago too. Soon is just the most posative response to a question you don't have an answer for.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Green hill

1 hour ago, do a barrel roll said:

*sigh*. Well, it looks like doomsday has arrived, and seeing that the trailer is apparently going to be released to the public soon (Finally, right?), it's only going to get worse from here on out.

I won't lie, I find it a bit funny at how hilariously bad this movie is going to be, but in the long term it just saddens me, especially being a Sonic fan that wants nothing more than for SEGA to do good with their own mascot franchise.

I just hope that going forward, if the next big Sonic product (be it a game or movie or cartoon) doesn't look promising, we as fans/consumers won't waste our time and money on it. That's the only way we can fight back (in a civil and peaceful way of course) against SEGA/Sonic Team ruining the Sonic series, and it's the only way we'll get anything good out of the series that isn't nostalgia pandering/re-using content again.

I think there's a blurry line between "Hilariously bad" and "deliberately silly".  I want far more out of this than it looks to give, but I could see myself laughing at parts of this film that are deliberately funny.

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Sonic 0, more like.

Sonic Negative Infinity.

Not that I don't appreciate all the chuckles but I actually meant it completely unironically, as in this movie would be set even before (a hypothetical movieverse equivalent of) Sonic 1.  Going by the Japanese manual Sonic 1 wasn't any kind of origin story, Sonic and Eggman had already fought plenty of times before it.

• Thumbs Up 7

25 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Not that I don't appreciate all the chuckles but I actually meant it completely unironically, as in this movie would be set even before (a hypothetical movieverse equivalent of) Sonic 1.  Going by the Japanese manual Sonic 1 wasn't any kind of origin story, Sonic and Eggman had already fought plenty of times before it.

I'm reasonably sure this story wasn't in the manual!

I found another write up on the trailers from Gizmodo.

There are some more details in this I haven't seen in the other articles posted here, especially regarding the first trailer. They pretty much wrote a detailed play-by-play for that one (though there seems to be a tad less detail for the description of the second trailer with Eggman..) and I'd say it really does fill in a lot of the blanks I got when I read up on other people's descriptions in other articles. It does make the humour sound a bit better at the very least now that those scenes are written with more detail here IMO, though it really is going to depend on the performances to make it work if you ask me.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Sonic 0, more like.

3 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Green hill

1 hour ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Sonic Negative Infinity.

1 hour ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Sonic minus 0.9(Sonic).

1 hour ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Sonic 1/10.

A reminder that we generally frown upon posts of this nature.  Like, just once isn't really a huge deal, but let's not make this a running gag please, thanks.

• Thumbs Up 3

So are they going with sonic is an alien? Or is he just a furry creature. I wonder will super sonic be in it or if thats asking for WAY to much

18 minutes ago, Palette said:

I found another write up on the trailers from Gizmodo.

There are some more details in this I haven't seen in the other articles posted here, especially regarding the first trailer. They pretty much wrote a detailed play-by-play for that one (though there seems to be a tad less detail for the description of the second trailer with Eggman..) and I'd say it really does fill in a lot of the blanks I got when I read up on other people's descriptions in other articles. It does make the humour sound a bit better at the very least now that those scenes are written with more detail here IMO, though it really is going to depend on the performances to make it work if you ask me.

That all sounds really cool! Action is going to be this movie's strong suit just as I suspected

Here is the whole description.:

The first trailer starts with a police car sitting on the side of a road in a town called Green Hills, just keeping an eye on traffic. Just then, a blue streak goes by and the gun reads 760 mph. The officer, played by James Marsden, can’t believe it. Cut to the Paramount logo which, instead of stars around the mountain, had gold rings.

The camera is zooming down a street, then through a forest, as a tagline similar to “Every hero has a Genesis” graces the screen. The camera enters some kind of lair filled with a bunch of crappy worn out shoes. Back on the street, a blue being is stretching. It’s revealed to be Sonic, who is probably about four feet tall, wears no clothing (save for his shoes) and has a well-defined—I almost want to say cute—face. He shoots off running, creating a huge explosion of energy.

Marsden’s officer finds Sonic in a house and is startled by him. Later they’re in a car together and Sonic explains he’s here to save the world. Meanwhile, a large tank comes up behind them, so Sonic jumps out of the car, races at the vehicle, and smashes through it. He thinks he’s won, but then another vehicle drops from the remains of the previous one. Many more shots follow including one of Marsden’s character falling and Sonic creating a ring for him to fall through, which saves him.

In another scene, Marsden’s character, along with one played by Tika Sumpter, sneak into a building. Sonic is stuffed in a gym bag and Marsden tells him to be quiet. Sonic says he can’t breathe in there. He keeps fidgeting and someone says, “Do you have your child in there?” No, Marsden says. It’s a child, but not his child.

Cut to Sonic on the side of a building, a huge spaceship-looking thing shoots what seems like hundreds of guns at him with tons of bullets flying. But Sonic doesn’t sweat it. He just stands there, says “Oh look, I took nine million steps today,” and then starts disabling all the weapons in slow motion. The footage ends with a brief look at Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik who finds a blue strand of hair filled with electricity.

When the lights came up at CinemaCon, Carrey took the stage. He demanded Paramount show more of his character so, the lights went back down, and we were graced with a second Sonictrailer, this one focused on Dr. Robotnik.

In his main form, Dr. Robotnik looks like a mad scientist. Dark hair, thin handlebar mustache, and dark black clothes. The military is tracking some kind of electric anomaly (Sonic, we presume) and, very cautiously, call in the only man with the expertise for this kind of thing. Robotnik arrives and immediately takes control of the operation. But not in a respectful way. Think Ace Ventura. Loud, boisterous, a little annoying, that’s Carrey’s take on the character.

He’s got an assistant and he explains they need to catch this creature, dissect it, and find out what makes it tick. There’s a scene of him dancing to “Everybody Dance Now” by C+C Music Factory in his lab, only to be interrupted by his assistant who has a latte for him. He meets Marsden’s character and gives him shit. Finally, in the final shot of the trailer, we see the character as you remember him from the video game, with a bald head, larger mustache, and a red shirt.

• Thumbs Up 4

11 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

That all sounds really cool! Action is going to be this movie's strong suit just as I suspected

Did anyone seriously think it wasn't going to be an action movie?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

Did anyone seriously think it wasn't going to be an action movie?

I know but the set pieces sound really exciting. Sonic pulling a "Quicksilver" for instance 

Btw that Reddit leak is definitely real. Sonic is found by the Government because of an electrical disturbance caused by his speed exactly as that guy described 

22 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Here is the whole description.:

Hide contents

The first trailer starts with a police car sitting on the side of a road in a town called Green Hills, just keeping an eye on traffic. Just then, a blue streak goes by and the gun reads 760 mph. The officer, played by James Marsden, can’t believe it. Cut to the Paramount logo which, instead of stars around the mountain, had gold rings.

The camera is zooming down a street, then through a forest, as a tagline similar to “Every hero has a Genesis” graces the screen. The camera enters some kind of lair filled with a bunch of crappy worn out shoes. Back on the street, a blue being is stretching. It’s revealed to be Sonic, who is probably about four feet tall, wears no clothing (save for his shoes) and has a well-defined—I almost want to say cute—face. He shoots off running, creating a huge explosion of energy.

Marsden’s officer finds Sonic in a house and is startled by him. Later they’re in a car together and Sonic explains he’s here to save the world. Meanwhile, a large tank comes up behind them, so Sonic jumps out of the car, races at the vehicle, and smashes through it. He thinks he’s won, but then another vehicle drops from the remains of the previous one. Many more shots follow including one of Marsden’s character falling and Sonic creating a ring for him to fall through, which saves him.

In another scene, Marsden’s character, along with one played by Tika Sumpter, sneak into a building. Sonic is stuffed in a gym bag and Marsden tells him to be quiet. Sonic says he can’t breathe in there. He keeps fidgeting and someone says, “Do you have your child in there?” No, Marsden says. It’s a child, but not his child.

Cut to Sonic on the side of a building, a huge spaceship-looking thing shoots what seems like hundreds of guns at him with tons of bullets flying. But Sonic doesn’t sweat it. He just stands there, says “Oh look, I took nine million steps today,” and then starts disabling all the weapons in slow motion. The footage ends with a brief look at Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik who finds a blue strand of hair filled with electricity.

When the lights came up at CinemaCon, Carrey took the stage. He demanded Paramount show more of his character so, the lights went back down, and we were graced with a second Sonictrailer, this one focused on Dr. Robotnik.

In his main form, Dr. Robotnik looks like a mad scientist. Dark hair, thin handlebar mustache, and dark black clothes. The military is tracking some kind of electric anomaly (Sonic, we presume) and, very cautiously, call in the only man with the expertise for this kind of thing. Robotnik arrives and immediately takes control of the operation. But not in a respectful way. Think Ace Ventura. Loud, boisterous, a little annoying, that’s Carrey’s take on the character.

He’s got an assistant and he explains they need to catch this creature, dissect it, and find out what makes it tick. There’s a scene of him dancing to “Everybody Dance Now” by C+C Music Factory in his lab, only to be interrupted by his assistant who has a latte for him. He meets Marsden’s character and gives him shit. Finally, in the final shot of the trailer, we see the character as you remember him from the video game, with a bald head, larger mustache, and a red shirt.

I NEEEEEEEEEED THIS TRAILERRRRRRRR!!!!

• Thumbs Up 3