Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Ok,  now I felt like that this movie going to pandering to 90s nostalgia fans. Since, they named Eggman, Robotnik instead of the name we are all used to. Some of the actors admitted that they played the games, which I assume that they played only the 90s games. Ben did admitted that he played Sonic Mania on the Switch.

The film slate had the iconic Classic Sonic logo.:

a-a-sonic-movie-slate.jpg?resize=768,528

James say in an interview that Sonic doesn’t have a voice, which means that he probably never played the modern games before.

Ben confirmed that there will be easter eggs. However most likely, will be from the classic games.

In fact, according to Ben Schwartz, the voice of the blue hedgehog, there's many Easter eggs, including many humorous ones and many that probably only hardcore fans of the video game series will pick up on.

"There are Easter eggs," confirmed Schwartz in an exclusive interview with ComicBook. "There are very fun Easter eggs that people who play Sonic (games) will really enjoy and understand."

Unfortunately, Schwartz didn't reveal any specific Easter Eggs we can expect, or even hint at the nature of any of them, but from the sounds of it, they will be more concentrated to the classic Sonic experience, and not his newer, more recent games.

Source: https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/04/04/sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-easter-eggs/

Big name actors are so busy in their day to day lives that I'd be surprised if they had time to play ANY game in detail.  Throwaway statements like "I'm a big Sonic fan" are mainly just PR.  Doesn't mean they're wrong, just that they likely have no bearing on how the film is being made so much as it hopes to convey the enthusiasm the actors have when taking part in it.

Regardless, I’m still excited to see the movie. It will be probably a fun film which I expected, since this was first announced back in 2014.

BTW, I made a thread for my movie fan art. I recently posted some fan art there. Feel free to check it out. The thread kinda feel dead.

1 minute ago, Tara said:

Big name actors are so busy in their day to day lives that I'd be surprised if they had time to play ANY game in detail.  Throwaway statements like "I'm a big Sonic fan" are mainly just PR.  Doesn't mean they're wrong, just that they likely have no bearing on how the film is being made so much as it hopes to convey the enthusiasm the actors have when taking part in it.

I think at the end of the day whether the actors are fans or not is kind of irrelevant. Like James Marsters is apparently a huge Dragon Ball fan and tried to at least get some adjustments made to Piccolo's character, but even with him doing that Dragon Ball Evolution still turned out how it was. Not his fault, of course, but I don't really put much stock in actors being interested in the property because they don't get to make the big decisions.

Stuff like that is ultimately out of their hands.

1 hour ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Other movies come out and get promoted at Cinemacon: *official page doesn't make a post on Twitter about Cinemacon*

Fans: that's fine

Sonic gets promoted at Cinemacon: *official page doesn't make a post about Cinemacon*

Fans: suspicious

I don't know if you've been paying attention, but the Sonic movie's circumstances aren't exactly like any other. Remember that 4 or so year drought from when it was announced to when Paramount picked it up?

26 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

I don't know if you've been paying attention, but the Sonic movie's circumstances aren't exactly like any other. Remember that 4 or so year drought from when it was announced to when Paramount picked it up?

Yes. When it was also announced that Tim Miller was joining. And I wouldn't necessarily say it's bad news that Paramount picked it up. Sony was not (and somewhat still isn't) in the greatest position. It's blessing that the movie was swapped to Paramount. Considering the constant delays and lack of news we got when Sony WAS developing it, I'm a lot more satisfied with the amount news we get now. Again, I don't think any of the "lack of information" people are complaining about is bad. It is normal to have this amount of information on a movie at this time, and it's also not necessarily unnatural for a page for a movie to not mention Cinemacon.

Just now, Gamecuber64 said:

Yes. When it was also announced that Tim Miller was joining. And I wouldn't necessarily say it's bad news that Paramount picked it up. Sony was not (and somewhat still isn't) in the greatest position. It's blessing that the movie was swapped to Paramount. Considering the constant delays and lack of news we got when Sony WAS developing it, I'm a lot more satisfied with the amount news we get now. Again, I don't think any of the "lack of information" people are complaining about is bad. It is normal to have this amount of information on a movie at this time.

Paramount picking it up being bad was not my point nor was it a point I think anyone else here was making. What IS strange, however, is that we get 4 years of radio silence, it's picked up and shit starts happening, then the Twitter posts one meme and hasn't made a peep since. Social media like Marvel, Star Wars, DC, etc. are all far more active, even when you consider something like Episode 9 still has reshoots to do and doesn't come out until December.

2 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

Social media like Marvel, Star Wars, DC, etc. are all far more active, even when you consider something like Episode 9 still has reshoots to do and doesn't come out until December.

I mean those are way bigger franchises too.

Not news really. I found this old Sonic video that seem to predicted the song in the movie. The uploader mentioned that there will be an live action Sonic movie based on his video, which actually become true. BTW, this video is 12 years old.:

2uod95J.png

Important part highlighted for emphasis.

They didn't predict anything - it was just a complete fluke that someone happened to make an AMV out of the song, noticed just recently that an official movie used it and modified one of their original comments to reflect it, presumably as a joke. Honestly I'm not sure why we're even discussing this. Even if it were true, it would still be at best a lucky guess substantiated by absolutely nothing.

3 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

2uod95J.png

Important part highlighted for emphasis.

They didn't predict anything - it was just a complete fluke that someone happened to make an AMV out of the song, noticed just recently that an official movie used it and modified one of their original comments to reflect it, presumably as a joke. Honestly I'm not sure why we're even discussing this. Even if it were true, it would still be at best a lucky guess substantiated by absolutely nothing.

Oh, ok. It’s probably a lucky guess anyway.

I admit I wanted the movie to be completely nuts as it is part of the fun, so the descriptions are weird but somehow, they kind of please me. Though it's not necessarily good, I'm sure everyone has got a different opinion on how they would like the movie to be.

https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/sonic-movie-will-have-edgy-elements-jim-carrey-tea/1100-6466085/

Speaking to IMDB from the CinemaCon event recently, Jim Carrey--who plays the evil doctor Robotnik--said the film will have an edge to it while still overall appealing to families.

"We're playing to families, so you can't get too crazy," Carrey said. "But I made sure that there are some winks and nods, and edgy things that are still acceptable to both age groups."

15 minutes ago, Demondeano18 said:

Has anyone who has seen the trailers confirmed what Sonic looks like, for example does he have gloves or is his hand fur white?

I'd like to know if he is actually wearing Nikes.