Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I think people who are worried this will be Alvin, Smurfs, Garfield are going to be very pleasantly surprised.

So perhaps something more along the lines of Disney's "Dinosaur" film, aesthetics-wise?

Complete live action sets with appropriately modeled digitally created or enhanced characters?

• Thumbs Up 5

I think people who are worried this will be Alvin, Smurfs, Garfield are going to be very pleasantly surprised.

Hmmmmm? OwO So mayhaps it won't be so bad after all? God I hope so! Add me to the cautiously optimistic bunch too.

So perhaps something more along the lines of Disney's "Dinosaur" film, aesthetics-wise?Complete live action sets with appropriately modeled digitally created or enhanced characters?

That's what I'm hoping for. I just hope that the CGI and the live action are blended together well.

Agreed with Blue Blood, I have no intention of getting any ounce of hope for this project, only to have it dashed later on. My mindset on this film won't be changing anytime soon until I see a trailer or footage of this film to prove me miraculously otherwise.

My apologies Van, but it's going to take more than a few veiled statements to change my mind on how this film will probably shape up for me.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

But the "Sonic Adventure kind of universe" is the regular Sonic kind of universe. Colorful, crazy slopey Earth with humans, animals and the species inbetween that Sonic and co reside in. All that happened between SA and Unleashed was the humans changing design style from anime-realism to cartoony stuff... which since it resembles Pixar and the general CGI art style seen in other movies so much, I really wonder why want to go with live action people instead.

And yeah, Sonic running through a beach or jungle sounds like loads of fun, but where's the parts that make it feel like Sonic? I can't be more clueless on how they're gonna pull off something quite like Green Hill in a way that looks good beside a real tropical coast, if they even will do something like that.

Yep I was refering to that universe though I said Adventure for short since is the game that started it, also since Sonic Unleashed is the game with more cartoonish humans I don't think is a very good reference, though its locations are amazing!

Also about the "parts that make it feel like Sonic" I'm guessing you are talking about the surrealist characteristics of the environments and I think it can be done and explained in numerous ways; a Green Hill Zone could be part of the South Island that got into the real world the same way as Sonic and co. so it has the right to have it's own twisted terrain properties, the same with anything Angel Island related, a City Zone could be a fictional city of the real world with ultra tall buildings and sick highways, an Eggman zone could be as crazy as the doctor himself wants it to be, so I think there are enough ways to justify any set piece to have that Sonic stage twist.

It's going to take a hell of a lot more than a simple "don't worry" from someone with a vested interest in the film to make me feel even slightly optimistic.

Yeah, that statement was way too vague to have any sort of promise.

So you aren't going to lambaste the series origins, personalities, designs at the attempt of making a typical Hollywood bigwig movie?

I'm looking at you Transformers and Ninja Turtles.

• Thumbs Up 1

I did say cautiously optimistic, that doesn't mean I'm all like "OH! OH! This is going to be great because he said so! 8D"

If it's not going to be anything like the Smurfs, the Chipmunks, Garfield etc then it could be alright, but then I don't want to see something like the new TMNT or Bayformers either. I dunno, I wish we could get a teaser poster or trailer already! X(

• Thumbs Up 4

Right. Just because he said that doesn't mean all my worries are gone. There's still much much much to worry about, but as shitty as it sounds, Bayformers/TMNT-level Sonic wouldn't be as bad as Smurfs/Chipmunks/Garfield/Yogi sludge.

• Thumbs Up 3

A Bayformers approach actually would be just as bad as a Garfield approach, but in its own special unique way. Seriously, those movies are horrid. But a sly deconfirmation of the latter perks my ears nonetheless, because that was the worst-case scenario we were all imagining anyway.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well yeah, I know. Don't get me wrong, both directions would be god-awful. But at least the new TMNT and Bayformers could be seen as crappy deriative work off of the original ideas and overall ignored by anyone interested in the good parts of the franchise. Sonic becoming like Smurfs or something, on the other hand, would be undodgeable and shoved so far into everyone's faces via advertisement and forced jokes that we'd never see it go away, I feel.

To be honest, I liked the first Bayformers. The rest can go fuck themselves though in my opinion.

I'd just like it to be a standard Sonic & co versus Eggman plot with a plot twist. That seems to be the formula for many animated movies nowadays. The only ones that truly surprised me were Frozen and The LEGO Movie though.

My main complaints with the Transformers movies was that they added a bunch of cussing and some sexual themes to something originally meant for kids. Otherwise it was an okay series. Smurfs was terrible, but the Chipmunk movies weren't all that bad to me (and this was before liking Jesse McCartney). So either way, I'll probably end up liking this Sonic movie.

Saying it's not going to be like the Smurfs and the rest of those films doesn't mean it's not going to be like them. And that's not to say it won't be poor regardless. All we know right now is that it's going to live action, and such adaptations are usually horror stories. I doubt there's much that could really change my stance until such a time the film is shown off, and of course only if it's a complete surprise in terms of quality.

I don't think anyone who wasn't already on board with the film for whatever reason has actually jumped ship entirely and said conclusively that now the film is going to be amazing. Cautiously optimistic/curious and blinded by hype are not the same thing at all, much less similar enough to warrant reiteration that there's a chance the film could still be bad. No one's jumping the gun in that direction.

• Thumbs Up 5

Transformers wasn't that bad, to me at least. I wont argue since that's a subjective matter.

One thing though is that I'm on both sides of the fence- "you'll be surprised" isn't much of a hope bringer, it's not making me anymore excited, maybe because in general, I'm not that excited for a movie. But at the same time- I feel we shouldn't get on his [Van] case about the subject of the live-action adaption. I understand some people have a really strong bond with this franchise (myself included) and I understand wanting the movie to be good but we should wait for more info. 

I don't know... I'm like inbetween sides here... and stuff... I guess "it doesn't matter, how it happens" we will never give up our hopes.

I suppose Hollywood cash-in movies on beloved franchises won't seem so bad to the casual movie fan who wants to see big robots fighting and incredible CGI.

But to long time fans of the franchise it is a disgusting mockery of the series when the director doesn't even follow the original Transformers personalities and decides to do whatever the fuck he wants because it's "his" movie.

Seriously Bayformers is unbelievably shit, I'll let the first movie slide since the movies didn't take a complete "180 what the living fuck" turn till Revenge of the Fallen.

You have no idea how bad Revenge of the Fallen is, and how bad it's story is, ugh.

• Thumbs Up 1

I said I wouldn't argue but ehhhhh

You're killin' me mam'. I actually like the Transformers Movie being a fan of Transformers since I was a kid. I will admit some story aspects and story focus were not so good but nothing outright offensive. Well.... I see your point but to me it shouldn't get that serious. I understand wanting to see a Big time Movie about your beloved childhood friend being made and put onto screens. But if other people are happy seeing it, can't you be happy to see your favorite franchise thrive? I get wanting a quality movie that you can enjoy to but if the "Sonic" ness is still in the movie, does the whole smurf type thing really bug you that much?

Because understand- this is a completely different ball field than Smurfs, Garfield, and Whatever other movie like this. Unlike these Sonic isn't about that sit around funny things happening type stuff, Sonic is more of an action field. So at the very "worst" it could be like Transformers. As long as it's not Sonic X tier, I'm cool. As long as it's not the whole heres a human for you to see yourself through, now lets focus the movie on them. Otherwise it wouldn't be too bad in my eyes. But again, I'm teetering on the fence and am not really hyped for any movies.

I don't think anyone who wasn't already on board with the film for whatever reason has actually jumped ship entirely and said conclusively that now the film is going to be amazing. Cautiously optimistic/curious and blinded by hype are not the same thing at all, much less similar enough to warrant reiteration that there's a chance the film could still be bad. No one's jumping the gun in that direction.

Aye. But I fail to understand the sudden change to cautious optimism in this case, because there have been literally zero developments.

• Thumbs Up 1

I said I wouldn't argue but ehhhhh

You're killin' me mam'. I actually like the Transformers Movie being a fan of Transformers since I was a kid. I will admit some story aspects and story focus were not so good but nothing outright offensive. Well.... I see your point but to me it shouldn't get that serious. I understand wanting to see a Big time Movie about your beloved childhood friend being made and put onto screens. But if other people are happy seeing it, can't you be happy to see your favorite franchise thrive? I get wanting a quality movie that you can enjoy to but if the "Sonic" ness is still in the movie, does the whole smurf type thing really bug you that much?

I see your point but seeing a series thrive for reasons I hate, encourages developers/directors to continue across that path, people may like it because it's a big summer action flick, but this is literally becoming the new focus of Transformers and is pushing long term fans off the map in favour of new people.

This is currently me with Sonic right now, since Colours (with the exception of the nostalgia-fest Generations brought with it) I've hated the new light-hearted story take on the series, and more focus on catering for a younger audience and changing up the personality and roles of my favourite characters into down right dislikeable (to me at least) to the point of literally burning me out of the series and not caring about the next Sonic game SEGA are going to shit out.

I've stuck with Sonic through thick and thin, even 06 and Shadow, but right now I've never felt so much hate for a change of direction than with current Sonic Team/SEGA.

Boom is a completely different beast, I admire it for really throwing itself out there in a completely new and fresh way, so I remain cautiously optimistic for Boom as of now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Aye. But I fail to understand the sudden change to cautious optimism in this case, because there have been literally zero developments.

I frankly see no difference from the screenwriter dropping a hint here and there that this will probably not be like more children's oriented films (which I reiterate everyone knows isn't a conclusive statement that everything is sunshine and rainbows), then I do seeing nothing but "Sonic live-action film" and basically concluding that it will be horrible. If there's been no actual developments since that initial announcement, people can take Van's posts as they please.

• Thumbs Up 3

I see your point but seeing a series thrive for reasons I hate, encourages developers/directors to continue across that path, people may like it because it's a big summer action flick, but this is literally becoming the new focus of Transformers and is pushing long term fans off the map in favour of new people.

This is currently me with Sonic right now, since Colours (with the exception of the nostalgia-fest Generations brought with it) I've hated the new light-hearted story take on the series, and more focus on catering for a younger audience and changing up the personality and roles of my favourite characters into down right dislikeable (to me at least) to the point of literally burning me out of the series and not caring about the next Sonic game SEGA are going to shit out.

I've stuck with Sonic through thick and thin, even 06 and Shadow, but right now I've never felt so much hate for a change of direction than with current Sonic Team/SEGA.

Boom is a completely different beast, I admire it for really throwing itself out there in a completely new and fresh way, so I remain cautiously optimistic for Boom as of now.

And you've summed up my thoughts exactly. Claps my friend.. claps.. I personally feel the same way and know what you mean, maybe that's why I'm not as excited as I would have been before some of the more recent games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because understand- this is a completely different ball field than Smurfs, Garfield, and Whatever other movie like this. Unlike these Sonic isn't about that sit around funny things happening type stuff, Sonic is more of an action field. So at the very "worst" it could be like Transformers. As long as it's not Sonic X tier, I'm cool. As long as it's not the whole heres a human for you to see yourself through, now lets focus the movie on them. Otherwise it wouldn't be too bad in my eyes. But again, I'm teetering on the fence and am not really hyped for any movies.

Agreed! And thinking about it making this movie like Transformers would very much like making a Sonic X tier, with a real boy having some troubles in his life but then comes the animated characters from a place far away to save the world and help the boy overcome his issues.

I'm still optimistic about everything Van has said so far, like not being human characters overshadowing Sonic and co and not going the same route as so many failed attempts of live action + CGI's movies, I know everything Van has said could change in the end for numerous reasons, but I'm still really excited about this movie and I'm not affraid to have high hopes for it, I mean if it ends up being a fiasco is not like I'm going to die or fall in depression or anything unlike some people that may think this could happen to them if they dare to believe in this movie XD

I very much agree with everything you said here, and I mean EVERYTHING. If it makes you feel better I'm hoping that since Sonic Boom is still aiming at younger audiences maybe Sonic Team will shift back to the tone, stories and complexity of characters they had before Sonic Colors, after all it looks like every game after Colors (Black Knight excluded) changed things in order to westernize Sonic and attracting new, younger players and since Big Red Button have that chore now Sonic Team could return to the old ways, that would also help further differenciate future Modern Sonic games from Sonic Boom.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if it's cheaper to make a live action + CGI film then a full CGI film?

I recall that some levels in Sonic games were inspired by real places, before Unleashed. Like San Francisco and City Escape as well as Radical Highway.

I remember reading that the Adventure staff went to visit some temples that inspired the echinda tribes.

tikal10.jpg

They also have giant pinball machine themed rooms in places like theme parks.

193d1d3dd4e1ad44de4d8e9d94a33247.jpg

I guess with a bit of creativity, they could find places that fit the various themes of Sonic levels.

Look, an actual chemical plant!

425px-Rotterdam_chemical_plant.jpg

But Azoo is right. The real places just can't match up to the bright and vibrant energy that the levels emit in the games. Unless they have a specific idea in mind to tackle that issue.

• Thumbs Up 3