Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Just now, PeterPancake said:

He has the goggles. They were never going to give him a cartoon nose. He becomes bald and fat by the end of the movie. It's a gradual transformation 

I can see that. Robotnik transitions to mad scientist though out the movie after becoming obsessed with Sonic. Maybe loses his hair in an explosion and a mid credits scene has him eating ice cream ala Dodgeball making him fat (kids humour?). He thinks of creating a Metal Sonic and cliffhanger.

3 minutes ago, Myst said:

I imagine we'll probably get a scene where Sonic destroys one of Eggman's drones, and in frustration he literally tears off his own hair.

Also Cinemacon attendees claim there's a scene with a bald, fat Eggman wearing glasses in what was described as a 'post-apocalyptic' setting.

Is any of this actually worth it? A lame old gag and what sounds like an epilogue/post-credits scene, having this much of an effect on the design of an iconic character?

If the movie ends up proving me wrong then so be it, but again from where I stand this looks like a bad choice.

• Thumbs Up 4

58 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Hi M Bison.

this isn't a great design, but at least eggman turned out better than sonic.

21 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Well, all that's missing is his weight

Do you even know who Eggman is?

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Chuckle 2

I'd like to add Paramount likely wanted Carrey to look like his regular self in order to sell this movie. The same reason that in posters for superhero films, the hero always has their mask off, showing off the famous celebrity's face. If you look at posters for Avengers films, you never see Captain America or Iron Man fully in costume. It's always Robert Downey Jr's face front and center, looking at the camera.

Carrey is one of major the selling points for this movie and Paramount wants to reach the widest possible audience. They're not in this just for the hardcore fanbase. They want people with casual or little knowledge of Sonic to see this and think 'oh hey Jim Carrey's in this! He's hilarious! Yeah I remember playing Sonic on Genesis! This should be fun!'

We will get a game accurate Eggman later on in this movie, but Paramount wants to show off their big celebrity in order to get butts in the seats. They want to get NEW fans, not just please the existing ones.

• Thumbs Up 2

Am I the only one that finds it kind of ironic that the trailer for Sonic seems to be releasing before the trailer for Terminator: Dark Fate, which releases a week earlier?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm back just in time for the madness.

The design: I don't dislike it, it's different obviously, as we all prepared for… I can't say much other than it will change throughout the movie, but if I have to judge what I see… it's definitely NOT a cosplay, as some of us predicted they are going for their own spin on Eggman/Robotnik which may be either good or bad, the design is not that bad for now.

2 minutes ago, Myst said:

I'd like to add Paramount likely wanted Carrey to look like his regular self in order to sell this movie. The same reason that in posters for superhero films, the hero always has their mask off, showing off the famous celebrity's face. If you look at posters for Avengers films, you never see Captain America or Iron Man fully in costume. It's always Robert Downey Jr's face front and center, looking at the camera.

268x0w.jpg.d62e8020453626175389efca6bcaac0b.jpg

Just saying, having accurate costumes from the start isn't a bad thing and doesn't immediately damn sales.

2 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Just saying, having accurate costumes from the start isn't a bad thing and doesn't immediately damn sales.

Yes, show off the ONE poster that doesn't show RDJ's face and ignore the ten others that do. Iron Man 3, Avengers, Age of Ultron, Infinity War, Endgame.

Same with Captain America. All of his films show off Chris Evans maskless face.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Myst said:

Yes, show off the ONE poster that doesn't show RDJ's face and ignore the ten others that do.

515wjJQt2nL._SY445_.jpg.05d67ea9544fdd82bf130372f96b1d02.jpg

It's not as uncommon as you think.

5 minutes ago, Myst said:

Yes, show off the ONE poster that doesn't show RDJ's face and ignore the ten others that do.

You said yourself that the posters "always" have them with their masks off, and he proved that that's not true. A famous actor can be a big draw, of course, but so is the character that they're playing. You make an Iron Man that actually looks like Iron Man and that'll draw in the people interested in Iron Man. You make an Eggman that doesn't look much like Eggman and you miss out on that angle.

e: plus we're comparing a character with a full face-covering mask vs one without. They could have Carrey look more like Eggman while still being recognizable as Carrey, whereas you have to take the Iron Man helmet off if you want people to know who's in the suit.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Do you even know who Eggman is?

Yes. A brilliant scientist who builds machines and wants to conquer the world. His core traits could still be there 

1 minute ago, DreamSaturn said:

marvels-avengers-dvd.jpeg.thumb.jpg.202feda99f01254f24e4ab0e8cae3a08.jpgiron_man_3_poster_robert_downey_a_p.jpg.d52e14b68e9aac072094454fbbcebda0.jpgCaptain_America_Civil_War_poster.jpg.5faf4ed710a5f83e080a360aeebb8563.jpg

He's right. They wanted Carrey to be recognizable 

• Thumbs Up 1

To those who can't see the Twitter image:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Robotnik_SonicMovie_Help.thumb.jpg.9f9c0a2309f409390e599b031aa63609.jpg

Oh... god damn...

EDIT: Opened a new page with this... god damn.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It'd be interesting if you showed a poster too.

iron_man_three_ver11.jpg

Heck, even War Machine has his mask off in that one. 

If Jim Carrey looked like Eggman in trailers with bald head and fatsuit, audiences probably wouldn't even know it was Jim Carrey playing the role. The studio wants to show off the film's star power. We will get game accurate Eggman later on.

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

Yes. A brilliant scientist who builds machines and wants to conquer the world. His core traits could still be there 

marvels-avengers-dvd.jpeg.thumb.jpg.202feda99f01254f24e4ab0e8cae3a08.jpgiron_man_3_poster_robert_downey_a_p.jpg.d52e14b68e9aac072094454fbbcebda0.jpgCaptain_America_Civil_War_poster.jpg.5faf4ed710a5f83e080a360aeebb8563.jpg

He's right. They wanted Carrey to be recognizable 

Refer to what Diogenes said. Big actors can be a big draw, sure, but so can the characters they play.

710bfuwiwiL._SL1004_.jpg

Maybe some foreshadowing in the background of the eventual cast poster?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Refer to what Diogenes said. Big actors can be a big draw, sure, but so can the characters they play.

Not entirely true. People see Iron Man because Downey is playing him. He is what made that character popular. Take Downey out of the equation and lose the major attracting factor. 

Jim Carrey's face is more recognizable to the general audience than Dr. Robotnik. Carrey is what's going to be putting butts in seats, not Eggman

• Thumbs Up 1

Not entirely true. People see Iron Man because Downey is playing him. He is what made that character popular. Take Downey out of the equation and lose the major attracting factor. 

Jim Carrey's face is more recognizable to the general audience than Dr. Robotnik. Carrey is what's going to be putting butts in seats, not Eggman

Eggman is already a pretty popular character from a pretty popular franchise. If you're going to tell me simply no one would recognize Carrey if you slapped a fatsuit/bald cap on him, then I think you vastly underestimate people.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, people love Iron Man. However it only works because a good actor is playing him. So, iron Man and Robert Downey J are one and the same now.

Just now, DreamSaturn said:

Eggman is already a pretty popular character from a pretty popular franchise. If you're going to tell me simply no one would recognize Carrey if you slapped a fatsuit/bald cap on him, then I think you vastly underestimate people.

Eggman Is not a marketable look to casual moviegoers, Carrey is one of the most recognizable actors in the industry. I'm sure they could have given him a bald cap and fat suit but there's a story reason why he doesn't have it in the beginning 

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, blueblur98 said:

this isn't a great design, but at least eggman turned out better than sonic.

We haven't seen Sonic yet. 

Eggman Is not a marketable look to casual moviegoers, Carrey is one of the most recognizable actors in the industry. I'm sure they could have given him a bald cap and fat suit but there's a story reason why he doesn't have it in the beginning 

I'm going to call it a bad decision because there's absolutely no reasonable explanation for why he couldn't look closer to begin with. Are fat/bald people just too unrealistic now? Like gloves or socks?

• Thumbs Up 2