Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I wonder if it's cheaper to make a live action + CGI film then a full CGI film?

I recall that some levels in Sonic games were inspired by real places, before Unleashed. Like San Francisco and City Escape as well as Radical Highway.

I remember reading that the Adventure staff went to visit some temples that inspired the echinda tribes.

Yes, there is a video about it:

-

Btw, I don't like Transformers as well. Too much focus on stupid humans and military conspiracies and less Transformers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, there is a video about it:

Sorry to go off-topic, but oh my god that video makes me miss old Sonic Team so much. They had fun with their creation and watched over it lovingly, even explored the world for it.

Naka, Ohshima, I miss you guys so much. Come back. Together. ;________;

• Thumbs Up 9

Also, more of this please SEGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wUQSgZbWz4 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt2QjbSe2hc 

• Thumbs Up 2

If this is what they meant from live action involvement, then I'm all aboard. :v

Maybe I've been wrong about this film...

• Thumbs Up 1

I think what Hollywood tends to get wrong in general when doing adaptations is they poke their corporate noses in too much, they make changes based on statistics and opinions that don't even reflect what the general public wants at all, let alone the fans who really don't want the material to be altered all that much from its origins.

Couple that with the writers and designers and artists that want to leave their personal mark and for whatever reason see it as an insult if you suggest leaving the source material as it is.

And then you end up with a right royal mess that may as well have been a totally unique movie because all it uses from the material they licensed is a few names of characters and the title of the movie.

Sadly the end result is that tickets sell because people are fans of the franchise, some recognize the name or brand, and because the trailers show all the decent stuff and advertise it as the blockbuster of the summer or whatever. And then the higher ups and people that have worked on it get a false impression from the sales that people enjoyed it so much they want another. They assume people didn't mind all the changes made, so let's do it all again but change even more next time! Yet its the reviews they really should be listening too, just cause you paid to see it doesn't equal a thumbs up.

Tho I guess numbers of bums in seats and cash in hand is a success regardless of its overall critical rating. All the negative reviews don't matter to all the bar graph watching, feet up on mahogany desk types. Which is why the real stories never get told in a cinematic fashion and the actual fans that made it popular in the first place will never get catered to :/

I see your point but seeing a series thrive for reasons I hate, encourages developers/directors to continue across that path, people may like it because it's a big summer action flick, but this is literally becoming the new focus of Transformers and is pushing long term fans off the map in favour of new people.

This is currently me with Sonic right now, since Colours (with the exception of the nostalgia-fest Generations brought with it) I've hated the new light-hearted story take on the series, and more focus on catering for a younger audience and changing up the personality and roles of my favourite characters into down right dislikeable (to me at least) to the point of literally burning me out of the series and not caring about the next Sonic game SEGA are going to shit out.

I've stuck with Sonic through thick and thin, even 06 and Shadow, but right now I've never felt so much hate for a change of direction than with current Sonic Team/SEGA.

Boom is a completely different beast, I admire it for really throwing itself out there in a completely new and fresh way, so I remain cautiously optimistic for Boom as of now.

Same here. I've been a lot less enthusiastic about Sonic games since Sonic Lost World and even before THAT came out, I thought Sonic Generations was a very underwhelming game with little to no story and a lot of missed potential. Oh sure it's a nostalgic Anniversary game so I shouldn't be too harsh on it, but I really didn't like it as much as other people did. D:

Sonic Boom looks like it's taking a whole new direction with Sonic which is different from that of SEGA/Sonic Team, which is great and all, but all of the game's flaws still concern me and I only want to play it for the story and characterisation. SEGA's game? Meh.

Uhh, better stay on topic now. >>

So, Van? Is there still room for this being The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle 2? 

les-aventures-de-rocky-et-bullwinkle-the

Eh? You didn't say anything about the film not being like this. You only said it wouldn't be like the recent "realistic" cartoon live action movies. 

I'm bored so I came up with some possible scenarios for the film:

-Sonic Adventure adaptation

-Sonic Adventure 2 adaptation (lots of scenes shot in San Francisco!)

-Real people playing a Sonic the Hedgehog video game (switches back and forth between the real world and Sonic's game world)

-Sonic Unleashed adaptation (no Werehog). Sonic travels the world with gags about each culture (would need a large budget though)

-Sonic comes out of the video game world and into the real world (the film is him trying to go back)

(Or an alternate dimension instead of a video game world, similar to Sonic X)

-Sonic simply lives in the real world with humans (similar to Adventure), elements inspired by Boom and Sonic is simply saving the day as usual

-???

And Van, if you're allowed you could humour me and say which of these are completely ridiculous haha. Looking forward to the film and I appreciate you doing your part in bringing the 'hog to the big screen.

This isn't exactly related but nicely illustrates the reason why I get more and more bored with mainstream cinema. Wow!

(All three Transformers movies watched side by side).

This isn't exactly related but nicely illustrates the reason why I get more and more bored with mainstream cinema. Wow!

Agreed, though I think not everything is lost with movies nowdays; two of my favorite blockbuster movies ever were released just recently, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and X-Men: Days of Future past and I think they were ptretty cool!

Also I liked The Avengers a lot and I think that could be a good example on how they should handle team action pieces and characters iterations in the Sonic movie.

Wow.  Just wow.  Nearly 4 years ago, I officially left this fanbase and disconnected myself from online communities to concentrate on other endeavors.  The fact that "hell officially froze over" convinced me to return to my old stomping grounds to witness this monumental event. We've been trolled by movie announcements from Ben Hurst's 1998 SatAM movie to the 2002 Ken Penders Knuckles movie...thing.  Should I even bring up that Simpsons/Family Guy animator Matt Sullivan?  Anyway, since I’m here, yes, let’s briefly address the elephant in the room.  My shitty fan film and the infamous Sonic 4 rant. 

Funny how your perspective changes on something when you step away from your delusions and realize how embarrassingly immature you were.  But enough of the past.  The fact that an official Hollywood produced Sonic movie has come to fruition is surreal to me.  It was practically the central desire I had since childhood and it seemed appropriate to circle back with the fanbase and see how everyone is reacting to this unprecedented news.  So far, it seems that it’s in the right hands but there’s still room for concern since writers don’t have the final say in film production.  I’m just glad that someone involved has an affinity for Sonic's classic mythology and can build from there in future sequels.  Not saying to mainly use SatAM or Archie comics ( a nod would be nice), but if this is the first in a potential series, it’s better to start from Sonic's familiar origins then jumping into Sonic Boom territory.  Perhaps the Death Egg saga?  But you know, this being live action begs to question.  Who is Robotnik going to be played by?  Mike Pollock in a fat suit?  Speaking of Boom, I’m actually anxious to see how that pans out cause it’s refreshing to see Sega do something original.

• Thumbs Up 5

With regards to the ideas thrown around, put me down as really hoping for the live action solely consisting of real people playing the game. With practically no real mention of it beyond that, in Wreck-it Ralph style.

That way, we can chalk the "live action/CGI mixture" reported by SEGA as hilarious "Gotcha!" trolling.

...maybe I'm just naive.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't understand how anyone can really say this is going to be awful or be cautiously optimistic when we literally have no footage or screenshot, or any sort of plot summary to go on. We're just grasping at straws and hoping the one we picked is right. 

So consider me apart of the crowd that doesn't give a shit until we get that much.

• Thumbs Up 1

Archie Comics is really a bad way to follow.

No is not, is better written than the games (and SatAM) actually, I would feel proud if the movie gets as good or even better writting than how the Archie comics are nowdays.

I had a dream last night that we got a trailer of the movie that was like the Boom trailer, it left us at a cliffhanger. Sonic's fur had a simular texture to the one on my profile pic. He was in his classic design, but with longer arms and legs. Kind of like it was the time before Sonic became completely modern. Sonic had main focus. Humans were in it and took part in the story but just got really confused at times. But when one of the humans (a smart one) finally figures out what is going on I woke up.

I don't understand how anyone can really say this is going to be awful or be cautiously optimistic when we literally have no footage or screenshot, or any sort of plot summary to go on. We're just grasping at straws and hoping the one we picked is right. 

So consider me apart of the crowd that doesn't give a shit until we get that much.

We know it's going to be a film adaption videogame adaptation, which history has shown the majority aren't good.

We know it's a live-action CG hybrid adaptation featuring a fictional (cartoony) character, which history has shown usually aren't done well.

We know the studio producing the film, who has produced under at least one of the two criteria the Resident Evil film series and the first two Smurfs films-both of which are notable for being poor films.

We know the production company who is producing the film, which judging their track record has produced mostly mediocre movies.

I don't think determining what the film's quality will (likely) be, based on any of the above, is grasping at straws. But to each their own I guess.

I've gotten some feedback that people would like me to play on twitch again. (maybe with the game volume not at deafening levels...) I have two questions. 

1) I'm probably going to play one of the 5 following games. Which would you rather watch and talk about?

(Please don't read too much into the list...):

Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic 3 and Knuckles
Sonic Generations
Sonic CD

2) When should I do this? What time of day? what day of week? weekday? weekend? afternoon? night?

Thanks guys (and gals)!

Generations is a grand pick because it encompasses the entire franchise more or less and so has something for every fan regardless of their personal favorites.

As for time, I'd recommend the evening so people are off work and can watch. smile.png Unless it's the weekend, then any time works!

Myself would prefer Sonic Adventure 2, but I probably won't watch it. I suppose Og's suggested time would be good.

Sonic Generations would be good so long as they make the story ten times better than how it was in the original game. And don't make Time Eater such a boring ass MOTW!