Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

That word looks like "Gonk"...

How fittingly descriptive of Sonic's appearance (or at least the concept designs so far).

Oh no, a reach, that letter looks more like a "C"...

5 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

How fittingly descriptive of Sonic's appearance (or at least the concept designs so far).

I'm not sure how "gonk" is descriptive of anything.

The real problem is they should never have made this live action in the first place.

Whenever anything cartoony is done in live action it always looks cringey. And while I know some people here seem to really hate the comic book adaption comparison, it's really not a bad analogy. If you made a Wolverine film where he actually looked like he did in the comic with yellow spandex then it would just look like a bad wrestling film. Artistic license is required to suit the film medium because some combinations just don't work.

I actually like what they did with Eggman here. Because he looks better as Carrey, if he actually looked like Eggman it would be awful in the same way as that Sonic fan film tried it:

Image result for Eggman sonic fan film

I mean maybe it's just me, but that looks a hundred times more cringey and like a bad episode of the Power Rangers then what the film's going for.

This begs the actual questions though, why the hell did they decide to make a live action Sonic film?

• Thumbs Up 3

30 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I'm sure you know Russian (or for that matter, the Cyrillic script) works differently to English and Latin.

As for my thoughts, Carrey's Eggman design isn't bad, but it isn't good. Compared to the Sonic design, which is just straight-up bad, this is just plain and not very Eggman-like. For all the crap the Smurfs movies get, at least those movies managed to translate the sole human character of the series to live action very well. This design doesn't feel like Eggman, or have his general... Vibe, I guess? The hair is odd, the having-no-glasses is even odder, and I have a bad feeling about his wardrobe. But if it wasn't supposed to be Eggman, I'd say it isn't too bad; if it wasn't supposed to be Eggman.

So now the plot is laughable, the Sonic design is bad, and the Eggman design is... eehhh...?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Polkadi~♪ said:

I'm sure you know Russian (or for that matter, the Cyrillic script) works differently to English and Latin.

I do know that it works different, yes, hm, yes.

That's why I said "that word looks like"...

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I actually like what they did with Eggman here. Because he looks better as Carrey, if he actually looked like Eggman it would be awful in the same way as that Sonic fan film tried it:

Image result for Eggman sonic fan film

I mean maybe it's just me, but that looks a hundred times more cringey and like a bad episode of the Power Rangers then what the film's going for.

What is so wrong with this design? It’s instantly recognizable as Robotnik/Eggman and only omits the most cartoonish and hardest to reproduce aspect of his old character design, that being the overly large mustache. The fabric on this actor’s suit can be called into question for sure, but a film with hollywood money would undoubtably be able to make this exact outfit work.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Legendary Emerald said:

What is so wrong with this design? It’s instantly recognizable as Robotnik/Eggman and only omits the most cartoonish and hardest to reproduce aspect of his old character design, that being the overly large mustache. The fabric on this actor’s suit can be called into question for sure, but a film with hollywood money would undoubtably be able to make this exact outfit work.

He looks like something out of a saturday morning cartoon show. It screams cringe, especially when he's supposed to be the villain. If he acts all serious and dark (like he did in that fan film) then it's jarring as fuck, and if he's goofy then the cringe just amplifies. I mean, to be fair, that design probably would be good if you were 5-10 and loved Sonic, but it doesn't look like an anything that should be used on anything where adults can be part of the target audience.

You can't just take a comically cartoonish character and put him into live action, you have to adapt him so he looks sensible.

1 minute ago, Plasme said:

...you have to adapt him so he looks sensible.

No you don't.

People are just so hardcore these days, that they don't even try.

• Thumbs Up 5

Eggy getting the lex luthor treatment makes sense, but at the same time I don't like it.

Honestly, I would have prefered them using his 06 design

6 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

No you don't.

People are just so hardcore these days, that they don't even try.

I know people here seem to hate hearing about sensible corporate decisions regarding not being literal to the source material (and Eggman's design is one such sensible move), but no, no you can't just put Eggman from the game and into the film unchanged. Look at virtually all adaptions of comics, cartoons, anime et cetera that have actually worked (mostly in the superhero category). If you put Wolverine in his comic appearance it would just look cringey to the vast majority of people, because only the absolute hardcore lunatics would push for such a sylised design to be used in a product which resembles real life.

It's the same here. Eggman was designed to be in a cartoon environment, it's why he looks godawful in games like 06 which tried to make him look more realistic. If you adapted him in the most literal way imaginable then it would be a disaster. And it's not simply the case of 'the general public would hate it' (but they would), but a lot of fans like myself would be utterly turned off too.

Think of making a cartoon or game into a film as a form of translation. It's hard to translate languages literally and some combinations really don't work. In some instances, you need adaption and localisation. Well, if you are going to make Sonic a live action movie (admittedly very dumb decision), you have to adapt him because otherwise it just doesn't translate literally.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I know people here seem to hate sensible hearing about corporate decisions, but no, no you can't just put Eggman from the game and into the film. Look at virtually all adaptions of comics, cartoons, anime et cetera that have actually worked (mostly in the superhero category). If you put Wolverine in his comic appearance it would just look cringey to the vast majority of people, because only the absolute hardcore lunatics would push for such a sylised design to be used in a product which resembles real life.

It's the same here. Eggman was designed to be in a cartoon environment, it's why he looks godawful in games like 06 which tried to make him look more realistic. If you adapted him in the most literal way imaginable then it would be a disaster. And it's not simply the case of 'the general public would hate it' (but they would), but a lot of fans like myself would be utterly turned off too.

Think of making a cartoon or game into a film as a form of translation. It's hard to translate languages literally and some combinations really don't work. In some instances, you need adaption and localisation. Well, if you are going to make Sonic a live action movie (admittedly very dumb decision), you have to adapt him because otherwise it just doesn't translate literally.

Sure, but couldn't they at least have made him bald?

I think at the very least, getting the basic fundamentals of "Robotnik is bald, has a mustache, wears glasses, outfit is mostly red" would have ticked off enough of the right boxes to look close enough.

Honestly, I don't even mind the Carrey design, but the hair (sans 'stache, obviously) throws off the whole thing for me.

• Thumbs Up 4

I know people here seem to hate hearing about sensible corporate decisions regarding not being literal to the source material (and Eggman's design is one such sensible move), but no, no you can't just put Eggman from the game and into the film unchanged.

Nobody is actually suggesting that. Yes, doing the same design verbatim in live action would probably go badly (and honestly it's just another testament to why being live action in the first place was a ridiculously fucking stupid idea), but you can't seriously be suggesting that hollywood can't do a costume with yellow stripes on it.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, Plasme said:

I know people here seem to hate hearing about sensible corporate decisions regarding not being literal to the source material (and Eggman's design is one such sensible move), but no, no you can't just put Eggman from the game and into the film unchanged. Look at virtually all adaptions of comics, cartoons, anime et cetera that have actually worked (mostly in the superhero category). If you put Wolverine in his comic appearance it would just look cringey to the vast majority of people, because only the absolute hardcore lunatics would push for such a sylised design to be used in a product which resembles real life.

A fun factoid is that there's tiers of accuracy beyond "1:1 perfect recreation of the source material" and "Barely even recognizable as what it's supposed to be",

• Thumbs Up 5

7 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I know people here seem to hate sensible hearing about corporate decisions

Some of us don’t sympathize with and defend every single corporate decision, yes.

, but no, no you can't just put Eggman from the game and into the film

They did that with detective pikachu, they’re essentially just putting the characters in their with slight extra details 

If you put Wolverine in his comic appearance it would just look cringey to the vast majority of people, because only the absolute hardcore lunatics would push for such a sylised design to be used in a product which resembles real life.

Marvel comparison #89757

Look it really isn’t as hard as people make it out to be to keep a cartoon design fairly consistent in the transition to live action. Pikachu still looks like pikachu, Dora still looks like Dora just older, etc. this really isn’t super complicated and Eggman looking more in line with how he looks in game I doubt would be a harmful thing to the overall product 

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

Nobody is actually suggesting that. Yes, doing the same design verbatim in live action would probably go badly (and honestly it's just another testament to why being live action in the first place was a ridiculously fucking stupid idea), but you can't seriously be suggesting that hollywood can't do a costume with yellow stripes on it.

Sure, but it's not just the yellow stripes, his whole character doesn't really work. Having a big bumbling comical looking man with a big grin and moustache who looks like an egg is so surreal and cartoony that it's just never going to work in live action. They have to make major revisions so he doesn't look stupid or just bland (the other problem you could run into in toning him down).

I think they've done a good job here in re-inventing him for live action. But yeah, the main problem is that this film should never ever have been live action.

11 minutes ago, Plasme said:

He looks like something out of a saturday morning cartoon show. 

He is a cartoon character. Trying to bury that lead will get you nowhere. There is no need for this film to portray a realistic or respectable looking Robotnik. He only needs to be an entertaining character that can hopefully retain a degree of threat through his actions.

• Thumbs Up 9

Just now, KHCast said:

They did that with detective pikachu, they’re essentially just putting the characters in their with slight extra details 

I think Detective Pikachu looks grotesque.

Just make him bald and give him pince nez glasses. The costume is fine.

I like the idea of him gradually turning into a disheveled game-esque Eggman as he becomes more obsessed with Sonic though.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Plasme said:

Well, you're definitely in the minority in that regard. The point is, Detective Pikachu, which retains the original designs and proportions and just adds more realistic textures, is getting far more positive press than anything Sonic related could ever hope to attain, least of all this movie with Bad Cosplayer Robotnik and Naked Furry Gremlin Man Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 5

On the design of Eggman/Robotnik, asides from not making him bald from the get go I wonder why not simply give him a red sports coat with a yellow liner. If you did that you would have a normal article of clothing but the yellow liner would result in the collar and lapels looking like his classic cape with the flashiness of the getup telling audiences what to expect from the character.

• Thumbs Up 2

Animals often do...

It's all fine.

So according to Tails Channels' screenshot of the leak, the trailer should be here at around 3PM tomorrow European Time. Now if I'm reading this correctly that's roughly 8-10AM EST. The time could just about be here, let's hope this looks better than what we expected. Well we already know what Eggman looks like, which I'm okay with. Just odd seeing him with no glasses and smaller moustache. But I can understand the appearance as not yet game Eggman if this is going for an origin story.