Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Alright, alright. Gotta think fresh. Let's look on both sides here. Okay, okay.

Positives.

Ben Schwartz was a great casting choice and he sounds great. Sonic looks good on the poster and in some shots. Carrey is as I expect him to be and he works. His charm works for the character. Some lines are admittedly funny, and the idea of Sonic Quicksilvering some action scenes work. The lightning and the Doctor Strange sling ring Warp Ring angle needs some getting used to, but I can take it.

...But other than that this is awful.

Why? Why are we going with this real world angle? Detective Pikachu showed it's fun for cartoon characters and real people to co-exist in the same world. Do we need a crossover like the friggin' Smurfs? Some shots are way too much like they're taken from The Smurfs, such as the "child in the bag" moment. The cinematography is so uninspired.

Couldn't we go for the Sonic Adventure angle, or even the 06 angle? It'll at least be more accurate. These characters living side by side. But nope, it seems like according to this trailer and the production comments, all that exists is the Classic era I guess. So therefore this is the only way in their eyes. Pathetic and lazy that they have to resort to the stereotypical adaptation formula than take some risks.

Even the fanfilm was able to have both exist in the same world, with animals being like Sonic referred to as a "South Islander."

And the robots, couldn't they at least have the shape of the original designs? I'm not saying to slap a classic Motobug in there, but at least something shaped like insects? You can add the Transformer-y angle, sure. But Jim Carrey's Robotnik is at least eccentric enough where these robot designs wouldn't be out of place.

Would make sense for the story, the military is reluctant of hiring Robotnik because he's a crazy guy with childish lolking robots, but he's effective and that's why he's right for the job.

Don't get me started on Sonic's design either, we all know how horrifying it looks. It's not even proportions anymore, his face is just grotesque.

What a trainwreck.

• Thumbs Up 9

Of course, I'm turning 21 in September so there's definitely an argument to be made that I outgrew the franchise's target demographic years ago, but kids deserve better than whatever scraps Michael Bay threw out.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 minute ago, QuantumEdge said:

Why is it that no one thought that going full cartoon wasn't the way to go?

One word for you: Hollywood(Or as I like to call it Hollyweird).

• Absolutely 1

6 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

My goal post never moved many didnt care for a live sonic and still dont. Least the responses on fb sonic are pretty nice. Most dont like his face but think it was a good trailer. If you hate it more power to you. I'll probably see it twice myself.

I'm curious, if the movie was nothing but Sonic taking a crap for 90 minutes would you still think it's good? What exactly does a Sonic product need to do to make you think it's bad?

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Sure some may not but first reactions online are grown men over 28 saying Sonics doomed

Dude not to be rude, but don't fucking generalize like this. There are children that are probably as young as five that are cringing in fear of the horrible trailer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm......

I'm gonna say that all in all, it doesnt look too bad. Sonic isnt jacked, and looks more or less (well still freakish) what you might imagine in that world. I never needed this movie to be that close to my idea of sonic.....I just didnt want them to ruin the character. This doesnt look like theyll ruin it, it honestly looks ok in motion.

It actually looks like itll be a decent kids movie. Better than I thought for sure. I'm sure sonic will have some good lines and eggman will be good.

This wont be a disaster and I'll go see it. 

(However keep this far away from the games...)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

Just now, pppp said:

I'm curious, if the movie was nothing but Sonic taking a crap for 90 minutes would you still think it's good? What exactly does a Sonic product need to do to make you think it's bad?

More than what many here are upset over. I mean if sonic was barefoot, eggman using non futuristic mechs, no rings, no spin dash, a giant sand work trying to eat sonic. Something like that I'd be all doom mode but atm I'm just like. His face is a mess but otherwise this is something I'd had gone seen back in 91 when I was a kid

• Thumbs Up 1

I’ve never felt such a strange combination of pity and indigestion. The film is more of gravy than of grave. 

Really, my main emotion concerning this is worry. Worry about the franchise being damaged by this even further, worry about what will happen to things like IDW or TSR, worry about the value of the franchise, etc.

• Thumbs Up 3

The negative reception to this trailer makes me think they should have approached a couple of things differently here. I mean, creatively. I'm not really worried yet but.. I have strange feeling of melancholy right now 

• Absolutely 1

1 minute ago, Meta77 said:

More than what many here are upset over. I mean if sonic was barefoot, eggman using non futuristic mechs, no rings, no spin dash, a giant sand work trying to eat sonic. Something like that I'd be all doom mode but atm I'm just like. His face is a mess but otherwise this is something I'd had gone seen back in 91 when I was a kid

Well then you are a sheep and part of the problem, since it's people like you that made the Chipmunks and Smurfs movies suceesful.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Looks familiar..

yyyyyyyyyy.jpg

Heh perfect match! I gone ahead and remade the meme using the poster image. =p

GuLjd1f.jpg

This movie is gonna be a real meme bean machine I tell!

And I agree some of those scenes in the trailer look lifted right outta the Smurfs movie... Was really hoping they were gonna avoid those kinds of jokes.

• Chuckle 5

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

I’ve never felt such a strange combination of pity and indigestion.

At least you can take something for indigestion.

• Chuckle 2

1 minute ago, pppp said:

Well then you are a sheep and part of the problem, since it's people like you that made the Chipmunks and Smurfs movies suceesful. 

Let's slow down. We don't want any flamewars here.

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

The negative reception to this trailer makes me think they should have approached a couple of things differently here.

Well, it looks like you and I finally agree on something then. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, pppp said:

If I'm a sheep for liking this than I'm not one bit ashamed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

5 minutes ago, pppp said:

Let's maybe ease up on the personal attacks? That's just flat out unneeded.

• Absolutely 1

Oh god. This is worse than I thought and I was OPTIMISTIC.

Carrey seems pretty passable and will no doubt be an excellent if hyperactive version of Eggman/Robotnik with the energy he appears to be bringing to this.

Voice-wise from the trailer... Sonic is the highlight and I imagine he will be in the film (as he should). Model wise? Hell. No. 

I actually held to the promise of him looking better in motion than the stills, and arguably this is much much worse, with pretty awful CGI to boot. Frankly it’s just a shame.

Unlike Detective Pikachu which I think found a unique balance that justifies the real world take - Sonic here is just lots of levels of wrong - as much to say as he just doesn’t even resemble Sonic. He kinda looks like a kid dressed up in a terrible homemade furry Sonic Costume. 

Like some previous fan mock-ups, all they had to do was balance his original model in the real world and just furry him up a bit - but they went too far the other way into weirdness.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Really, my main emotion concerning this is worry. Worry about the franchise being damaged by this even further, worry about what will happen to things like IDW or TSR, worry about the value of the franchise, etc.

It's just another bad or bland video game movie in a sea of them (see Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider 2018). Detective Pikachu is definitely more the exception than the rule. I don't think there's any need to worry that this is going to affect the perception of the franchise as a whole.

• Thumbs Up 5

Dislike to like ratio for the trailer on YT is now 33k to 35k. It's getting neck and neck. Not to mention top comments are mainly negative but downright hilarious. Well definitely funnier than anything in the trailer.

4 minutes ago, Pawn said:

It's just another bad or bland video game movie in a sea of them (see Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider 2018). Detective Pikachu is definitely more the exception than the rule. I don't think there's any need to worry that this is going to affect the perception of the franchise as a whole.

Until we see Detective Pikachu, you cannot say that.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Pawn said:

The thing is, the brand is already seen as damaged goods, unlike the others. Sure Tomb Raider had a die-off in the late 2000s and Assassin’s Creed has Unity, but nothing on the level of having 06 AND Rise of Lyric.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

Until we see Detective Pikachu, you cannot say that.

I think we can confidently say Detective Pikachu, based on reception at this point alone, is flying over much better than Sonic could ever hope to.

• Thumbs Up 4