Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

It's a shame this trailer is getting GB 2016 levels of dislike on YouTube. I'm really looking forward to it but I think they're learning the hard way they shouldn't have fucked up his design.

Just now, Dr Ryan said:

It's a shame this trailer is getting GB 2016 levels of dislike on YouTube. I'm really looking forward to it but I think they're learning the hard way they shouldn't have fucked up his design.

Indeed, Sonics design alone is what kills this for me.

I can tolerate Carry being Carry but not bad CGI character models

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess just to share my thoughts at this point, the only thing I found acceptable was Ben Schwartz's voice for Sonic, after that everything goes downhill.

Carrey was my one highlight before now but nothing about his performance felt right or made me think of Eggman at all. That isn't even getting into the design side of the character.

The Sonic design here is more wrong than anything I had prepared for. I had thought the silhouette was unsettling, but this honestly made me feel physically sick seeing it. At this point the design alone is enough to get me to not watch the movie as I can't stand looking at it at all. Nothing else really matters but I might as well get to the rest of it too.

The humor does nothing for me from this trailer at all except reinforce my mentality that going too hard in the comedic direction with Sonic does not appeal to me. Then there is the lack of any real semblance of cohesion to me. It's hard to explain really, but the trailer felt so disparate and like nothing fits together or belongs in the same movie. There was no underlying theme which tied anything together and it just felt so disjointed.

I could probably go on and on, but frankly I have better things to do with my time than dwelling on a movie that is obviously anything but to my tastes. I'm disappointed, I'm disgusted, and I am sickened. Simply put, I don't like it. I knew I probably wouldn't but I still held on to some trace of hope that my mind could be changed. Instead I was given this and the lack of love of the source material that I have is so blatantly not shared by the film team that no amount of passion or love that they have or have put into this film will ever to me reflect a love of the source material. More so than ever though I find it to be a faithless adaption and nothing anyone can say right now will convince me otherwise. Heck, Tim Miller pretty much told us in that IGN interview that they had no intention of being faithful from the get go so I shouldn't be so surprised.

Lastly, to those who honestly like what they see, I hope you enjoy and sorry about the negativity. Unfortunately though negative is almost all I can be about the movie at this point as it is plain and simple an affront to me. I probably shouldn't take it personally, but my emotions are what they are. I'm out.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

And the dislike/like bar on the trailer has now been officially Thano'ed with 44k even.

Just now, AdventChild said:

And the dislike/like bar on the trailer has now been officially Thano'ed with 44k even.

Do you mean like 44K each?

Guys, guys, remember the insider said the movie will mostly aim for the general audience and the actual Sonic stuff will be only easter eggs? I finally get it!

full analysis 1.jpg

This is a reference to Sonic Unleashed's intro! They really nailed that look on Sonic's face!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • My Emmerdoods 1

Yes, perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Another thing is that I'm surprised by the lack of apparent fan service in the trailer. You expect this film is littered with fan service on every corner but it really doesn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, MadmanRB said:

Well its possible he has a entirely different name when we first meet him, instead of Eggman or Robotnik.

They could go do the Kintobor route like sonic the comic

latest?cb=20090417200204

It would be a nice easter egg (lol) for him to be Kintobor.

If the leaks are true about him getting more and more crazy/obsessed with catching Sonic, (and I'm sure they are) then we'll very likely get a "Who's Kintobor? I am now... Robotnik!" *maniacal laughter*  by the end.

You know, there's one moment of that displays the perfect amount of "not giving a shit" in terms of being accurate to the source material. It's here:

15 minutes ago, Austroid said:

"Yes... Dr. Eggman. (or Robotnik) He is the world's leading expert in technology. He has the resources to help us figure out what exactly we're dealing with."

*cue Eggman reveal shot*

They try to set it up like this big massive reveal, like getting the fans to realise "Oh shit, he's talking about live-action Robotnik". Without specifying the name of the villain, and who they're talking about and who they're dreading asking, it's clear what it's meant to be, especially when it's foreshadowed with a technologically advanced vehicle appearing...

...And then the door opens, and it's the most bland, cliched design that looks nothing like Eggman, Robotnik, or whatever. We know who it's supposed to be, because we all knew for months on end this would be played by Jim Carrey, so when we saw him, we knew who it was. But if you went in with no idea who was supposed to be playing Eggman, I have high doubts you'd connect the dots to Game!Eggman in any incarnation if you saw Carrey. You'd figure it out upon seeing the supposed post-credit at the end (which oh look, the best design in the whole trailer is when they bothered to try make it look like the games that have worked for 30 years), but upon that reveal they clearly tried to set up as an epic villain reveal of this iconic bad guy being re-imagined as a live character, it falls on it's face completely.

As for everything else, that's a whole new story that I'll go over later.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 2

3 minutes ago, Austroid said:

It would be a nice easter egg (lol) for him to be Kintobor.

If the leaks are true about him getting more and more crazy/obsessed with catching Sonic, (and I'm sure they are) then we'll very likely get a "Who's Kintobor? I am now... Robotnik!" *maniacal laughter*  by the end.

Thing is I can actually get behind that.

I mean sure if he is a part of some government agency you may wonder why such a agency would associate with him but maybe he is so good with robotics and drone warfare thus why he is on the payroll.

It would actually be a great story arc, sure its cliched but what isnt these days?

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic looks absolutely horrifying, from the way his face and his body look and how he moves.

I wish this movie did not exist. 

28 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

Yes, perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Another thing is that I'm surprised by the lack of apparent fan service in the trailer. You expect this film is littered with fan service on every corner but it really doesn't.

Sonic is fighting robots and says a meme, done.

• Thumbs Up 1

This movie is sooo bad.

"Hey let's make it like the Smurfs and Pikachu, we have 0 passion for the source material and we want easy money!"

This will have a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes, believe me.

They could hire studios like Illumination or Sony to make a CGI movie with all the craziness of Sonic's world and make it colorful, but instead we got this dog shit....

Gotta go back to read IDW comics and watch the youtube cartoons.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I hope the film trailer get as many dislikes as possible.

Given how the bar has been, I kinda doubt it.

1 minute ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Given how the bar has been, I kinda doubt it.

I want the reviewers to bash it as much as they can!

What do you expect when the filmmakers have no passion towards to the source material and only want the easy money?

CGI is shit, I could say this movie was made in 2006 (pun entirely intended) and it would be believable!

I personally don't like to take like/dislike ratio on YouTube TOO seriously as a metric of audience reaction.  Giving it a like doesn't always necessarily mean it's good content so much as it is authentic, i.e. not a screamer or hoax.  Not saying that anyone who liked this video was doing so for those reasons, but that there are more reasons to give a video a like than because you actually liked it, or that there's not every like or dislike for that matter was a conscious, well thought decision.

• Thumbs Up 1

The marketing is shit, the CGI is shit, the story is shit, the backgrounds are shit....

I feel sorry for Sonic fans.

We could get a pixar-style version with IDW-style stories but we got this instead.

Don't lie, who is GENIUNLY waiting to see it? I won't go see it, I'll wait for F- reviews while the Pokemon movie gets A+ reviews...

Go throw your money at IDW comics, these are hard-working passionate artists and they could use some of your support instead of this soulless movie...

It's UNFAIR that the movie gets more attention than the comics

• Thumbs Up 3

The kid in me went nuts when the rings filled the Paramount logo and the Sega logo appeared.

Yes, Sonic looks incredibly weird. I can't defend the design anymore.

But I like the overall premise of the film and the action scenes look like a lot of fun.

Critics are going to destroy this, but I will be there day one with a big smile on my face.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ok, I'm mixed here. Eggman and Sonic looks fine. I see that Eggman owned an truck.:

D5aSerUVUAA1wpK.jpg

If we are going to get an City Escape scene in the movie. I'm hoping he used it to chase Sonic down.:

Related image

Also, I'm not surprised that the trailer is already getting hundred of dislikes. 

Just now, ShadowSJG said:

This looks worse than I thought. Sonic looks god awful. Just...urgh

Don't waste your time on this movie, go buy the IDW comics instead

3 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

The marketing is shit, the CGI is shit, the story is shit, the backgrounds are shit....

I feel sorry for Sonic fans.

We could get a pixar-style version with IDW-style stories but we got this instead.

Don't lie, who is GENIUNLY waiting to see it? I won't go see it, I'll wait for F- reviews while the Pokemon movie gets A+ reviews...

No way would we have gotten anything close to Pixar quality if the movie was animated. We'd get outdated pop culture references, minion equivalents, and a lame dance party at the end. 

• Thumbs Up 2