Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Just now, Tara said:

I wasn't on board with Detective Pikachu and still am not too fond of live action Pokémon designs.  But if this movie has done anything, it's helped me appreciate that movie innumerable times more.  It may not be my cup of tea, but the kind of kind of care and attention to detail that went into it is clearly visible.

It's easy to tell which movie had more care put into it

Eh. There's no strong feelings from me about this. The moment they decided to put a cartoon into the real world this was clearly going to be the end result. If anything I guess the most surprising thing was that they didn't go with the latest pop song for the trailer.

• Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, Balding Spider said:

Eh. There's no strong feelings from me about this. The moment they decided to put a cartoon into the real world this was clearly going to be the end result. If anything I guess the most surprising thing was that they didn't go with the latest pop song for the trailer.

They wouldn't even put out the budget to get the new pop song !!

Look at this: they kept the original designs because they work! What's so unimaginable about keeping the original Sonic design too?

pokemon_detective_pikachu_ver3_xlg.jpg

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

The marketing is shit, the CGI is shit, the story is shit, the backgrounds are shit....

I feel sorry for Sonic fans.

Believe me, this won't be the last time but definitely one of the  all-time lowest for Sonic.

(Sigh) Posting this video again to remind people who hate the movie.:

I don't blame you if you don't like the movie. I respect your opinion. Just don't go, if you don't want to. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Tara said:

I wasn't on board with Detective Pikachu and still am not too fond of live action Pokémon designs. 

I agree. I still find them all the live action Pokemon on the movie gross looking even if done better then the Sonic Movie here.

Also Sticks The Badger conspiracy theory time! SEGA only allowed this live action unfaithful movie to get made so that after we see something so down right horrible....  by mere comparison the fan base will never speak bad of SonicTeam's games ever again... at least they they hope that will be the result.

1 minute ago, BlueFlare said:

Believe me, this won't be the last time but definitely one of the  all-time lowest for Sonic.

It sure won't be the last time, we'd be lying if we said otherwise! sad truth

2 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

No excuse for this design when detective pikachu exist.

Who thought this was a good idea?

Corporate suits who haven't played a Sonic game or read a Sonic comic since 1992.

1 minute ago, DreamSaturn said:

Corporate suits who haven't played a Sonic game or read a Sonic comic since 1992.

Marvel has comic fans as directors!

Game of Thrones showrunners are fans of the books!

Look how well Endgame was received, because of the passion.

Once again, Sonic should have be like this.:

Such a shame, that the trailer had a lot of negative reactions. Could have surprised us, like Detective Pikachu.

Just now, Marco9966 said:

Marvel has comic fans as directors!

Not that I think this movie will be good in any capacity, mind you, but being a fan doesn't necessarily mean what you make will be good. MCU movies are good because they have incredibly talented people who know what they're doing on board. Even if you're the most passionate fan in the world, your direction can still be misguided.

The problem with the Sonic movie isn't that the people making it aren't fans, it's that they have no idea what they're doing.

• Thumbs Up 2

One thing is for sure: nobody who only played Sonic 1 and/or 2 back in the day and saw this would be nostalgic to watch this. They would have a hard time recognising anything from the game to begin with. This is not playing on heartstrings, this is ripping them out.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's not even that I think its good or bad...but it's so painfully mediocre. Everything about that trailer is the most by the numbers cliches you see in every children's movie trailer.

Even Carrey's lines are extremely generic and only carried by him hamming it up.

But clearly since some people are actually excited, I'm just an out of touch old man I guess.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

I think part of what is eating me up with this design is that we were given this while being told that it had to be this to make Sonic look realistic, but nothing about him looks or feels realistic at all to me including the human anatomy they gave him. He doesn't even look like he is in the same scene as eth actors when he is. Instead he looks like he has been superimposed onto the film and it just looks unnatural.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

But clearly since some people are actually excited, I'm just an out of touch old man I guess.

Where did you see that?

The thing with Pikachu is all the pre-reviews are glowing, from what I've seen. Folks who saw the Tokyo premiere praised its heart and overall quality.

I'm sure it won't be perfect, but it saddens me that a property as iconic as Sonic isn't getting the same respect.

1 minute ago, kimplix said:

Here have another poster to fill the few up more 

D5aoph_X4Agt1M1.thumb.jpg.5fc24053e2e5203c8936b6ca39d38a31.jpg

The poster is more colorful than the movie because it's easier to make a picture than a movie

• Chuckle 1

9 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

They wouldn't even put out the budget to get the new pop song !!

Look at this: they kept the original designs because they work! What's so unimaginable about keeping the original Sonic design too?

pokemon_detective_pikachu_ver3_xlg.jpg

Keep in mind this is sort of the exception to the rule. I mean look at The Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Yogi Bear, Scooby-Doo, Woody Woodpecker Fat Albert, or even 1977's Pete's Dragon.

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

The poster is more colorful than the movie because it's easier to make a picture than a movie

It's pretty obvious marketing people were in charge of this thing, not creative people.

20 minutes ago, kimplix said:

Here have another poster to fill the few up more 

D5aoph_X4Agt1M1.thumb.jpg.5fc24053e2e5203c8936b6ca39d38a31.jpg

Took me a bit to realize why this expression and pose seemed so familiar:

image.png.d24ce2e4c12bc7d593bf3f52d1e6e4fb.png

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, pppp said:

Also why does he have socks?

Because feet stink something fierce running in shors without them.

• Thumbs Up 4

So is there any chance of us getting a better movie later, or is Sonic's film career ruined forever?