Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

5 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Little sister just text me and shes excited to see it. 

Glad to hear at least she can’t wait to see it.

One of the co-producers for the movie posted this.:

I'm both skeptical and cautiously optimistic on the movie.

12 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Little sister just text me and shes excited to see it. Gangsta paradise was used cause it's a 90s song. No trailer uses music from the series always  aka DP using older songs I think they are trying to push sonic as a rebel/ gangsta do what I want attitude for him. Eh I donno

Well, despite being from the 90's, Sonic songs always sounded a little more 80's. Wonder which song they could've used instead, because Gangsta Paradise doesn't excite and doesn't match at all if you ask me.

I WAS going to say Queen's Don't Stop Me Now, but that's cliche as heck xD

It was used majestically in Shazam tho'.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Jango said:

Well, despite being from the 90's, Sonic songs always sounded a little more 80's. Wonder which song they could've used instead, because Gangsta Paradise doesn't excite and doesn't match at all if you ask me.

Well there is the perfect song from the late 80's they could have used:

4 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Oh, the co-producer? That's the equivalent of your mom calling you pretty :V

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Woah, somebody who wants us to buy tickets thinks we should buy tickets? Woah, holy SHIT what an unheard of concept!

• Thumbs Up 4

So I recorded my reaction to watching the trailer...

I tried to illustrate a lot of my points with some examples and even compare some of the imagery to other movies...

But here is the York notes version...

Sonic looks awful. There's just nothing else to say, he's hideous.

But the main crime that the trailer has is just how generic it looks. Like, even if you put aside the generic military briefing room and the generic government gets it wrong opening gambit...

Our first reveal of Doctor Robotnik...

He's wearing a black suit and has a silly moustache... They've modelled him off Dick Dastardly, only given him a black coat. He just looks like he's playing a comedy Agent Smith. 

There's nothing interesting about his reveal, but this is the first reveal of the villain for the movie! They even build up a dramatic reveal music key it's just a guy with a black coat on. There is nothing interesting about how he looks, or how he sounds.

Now if he started like he looks at the end of the trailer... THAT'S INTERESTING! That's something I wanna know more about, that's something that stands out... This is just... we've seen it before.

Then there's the issue of the Egg-O-Matic and badniks... they're so generic... They look like they're from other movies... In the video I compare them to machines in Terminator, but someone in the comments said they look like the machines in the Robocop Remake... and... Jesus they do!

Literally the only thing in this movie which gives it it's own identity... is Mushroom Hill at the end, that's interesting, that's different and even then they get the look of it completely wrong.

The whole 'We need to study the creature and it's fur'... Why isn't it a chaos emerald... Sonic's fur is not magical, it's not electrically charged... it's... Never been anything... Yet now it is...

The entire trailer feels like it was a random plot they had for an original IP, then when Sonic was up for sale they bought the license and just slapped it on.

• Thumbs Up 6

8 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

I read the page in the link he gave just now... and it is a good laugh with how the writer gives almost no real selling points. Just look at their #5 reason!

(5. It’s probably going to be better than Pokémon: Detective Pikachu. Just sayin’.)

I guess to be fair.... that one might be true depending on somebody's tastes... But hardly anybody is gonna agree. xD

• Thumbs Up 5

19 minutes ago, Jango said:

I WAS going to say Queen's Don't Stop Me Now, but that's cliche as heck xD

It was used majestically in Shazam tho'.

Back in time from b2tf?

• Thumbs Up 1

If Detective Pikachu can use an orchestra version of the Pokemon theme (other tunes too actually), so should Sonic. He has an orchestra in most games now for pete's sake.

2 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

If Detective Pikachu can use an orchestra version of the Pokemon theme (other tunes too actually), so should Sonic. He has an orchestra in most games now for pete's sake.

Indeed, there have been wonderful orchestra versions of sonic themes for eons now:

Where the fuck is Tee lopes when you need him?

• Thumbs Up 1

Finally got a chance to see the trailer. I'm going to take a while to decompress it, because surprisingly I didn't out right hate it like I thought I would. It's definitely bad and certainly nothing like Sonic, but there are moments in there I think work, though not enough to salvage it. Still, should give it a more thorough review later to be fair.

Love the poster of Sonic running up the building by the way. Don't really like the rest of them, but that one is cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

Isn't it weird that the initial posters were what got people attacking Sonic's movie design, while the new posters are somehow far less ugly than the movie?

6 hours ago, Ruomarta said:

Dude not to be rude, but don't fucking generalize like this. There are children that are probably as young as five that are cringing in fear of the horrible trailer.

Okay, I know this is several pages back, but you quoted someone else, yet it is attributed to me. It was a shock to find this in my notifications.

6 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Isn't it weird that the initial posters were what got people attacking Sonic's movie design, while the new posters are somehow far less ugly than the movie?

Indeed, there are elements to the new posters i like:

Sonic-the-Hedgehog-movie-poster-1.jpg

This one here is pure epic, Sonic design aside

I would LOVE to see this redone with game sonic it would be mega awesome (and i again I love that lightning effect they did, if there is anything good to say here its that.)

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, PeterPancake said:

You'd be better served saying this to somebody who has NOT been a fan of this franchise for 20 years; played every single game minus the obscure arcade titles, is an avid reader of the comics (Pre-IDW) and has been around at all the highs and lows that this franchise has gone through. I was there on message boards hyping up '06 in 2005, I was around, defending Sonic Boom from criticism when the designs were revealed silhouette. Just because I  optimistic about this movie does not mean I have failed to grasp what defines Sonic as a character and the franchise overall. I'd like to ask you the same question -- what is the appeal of Sonic, exactly? And you'd be hard pressed to come up with an answer because the franchise formula has changed so many times, there are so many different interpretations and visions of this character, that a single definitive version of Sonic is impossible to lock down. 

Then let me ask you this: what were decisions SEGA/Sonic Team made regarding Sonic that you were opposed to? (If any..)

Because I used to be like you: since the franchise started out so promising, I used to think everything with Sonic's name on it must be gold and I wanted to experience all of it. But then sadly reality started to sink in that "Actually..a lot of this is garbage..why am I wasting my time on this?".

• Thumbs Up 2

The guy who did an parody of Gangsta's Paradise posted this.:

BTW, this is real, you can watch it here.:

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

Here's one that could have perfectly worked (Saw this on Twitter):

Credit to the OP

• Thumbs Up 1

I gotta say, as a defender of this movie (and I still am, it looks fun) I am genuinely surprised at the downvotes this is getting on YouTube. I thought outside of the superfans most people would just see a fun movie trailer and enjoy it. So either the general public thinks it looks shit too, or there are far more Sonic fans unhappy with this out there than I previously thought.

Either way, I have been proven wrong.

For me though it's non-canon Sonic fun, and I am looking forward to seeing Sonic on the big screen. The design of Sonic is fucking hidious but the action sequences look cool and Jim Carrey is great. I look forward to this.

In a world where shit like Sonic Underground and '06 exist, this is far from the worst thing to happen to this franchise lol.

For the people who think it looks shite (and I get that too), let's hope it's at least successful enough for Paramount to realise the potential this franchise has, and have another, more game-accurate attempt at a movie the next year.

I think it will be a fun movie though, and I'll be there opening night with a big bag of beers and a big smile on my face!

• Thumbs Up 2