Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Deleted some posts containing screencaps of someone (off forum) spouting offensive language to a movie fan. We're aware that there are people like this on the internet so no need to draw further attention to them.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

I mean, I might be what some people consider a "classic purist" (whatever the hell that means) and definitely have a preference for sonic. But this is fine. This entire project has grown on me since we saw the jacked version of sonic months ago (and i hated that).

I just never expected this to be modern sonic or classic sonic, or really anything except the bare bones of the character and his personality. It really doesn't matter to me because it's not like the source material itself is morphing into this. It's an adaptation. I'll have fun with it as long as the plot isnt terrible and Ben Schwartz does a good VA and carrey is decent. And I'll still have my videogames the way I like them.....well....that's another conversation but you get the idea....

• Thumbs Up 3

11 minutes ago, Dr Ryan said:

For the people who think it looks shite (and I get that too), let's hope it's at least successful enough for Paramount to realise the potential this franchise has, and have another, more game-accurate attempt at a movie the next year.

I think it will be a fun movie though, and I'll be there opening night with a big bag of beers and a big smile on my face!

Can I say no thanks to that prospect, and just hope they don’t continue making below average sequels period that continue doing the bare minimum to make easy cash? Paramount aren’t doing wonders in my eyes to the franchise 

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, Sean said:

Deleted some posts containing screencaps of someone (off forum) spouting offensive language to a movie fan. We're aware that there are people like this on the internet so no need to draw further attention to them.

Sorry, just want people to know that don't harass and mock people over an movie. It's not going to make anything better. If you like the movie, that's cool, but don't just do that. It's rude. Just respect people's opinions about the movie. It's simple.

Anyway, won't make an post similar to that again.  So, I apologize for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Then let me ask you this: what were decisions SEGA/Sonic Team made regarding Sonic that you were opposed to? (If any..)

Because I used to be like you: since the franchise started out so promising, I used to think everything with Sonic's name on it must be gold and I wanted to experience all of it. But then sadly reality started to sink in that "Actually..a lot of this is garbage..why am I wasting my time on this?".

Shadow the Hedgehog and the whole setup of Sonic Lost World. From jump, I knew it wasn't going to turn out that well when I saw the trailer. 

Other than Shadow & Lost World, I can't really say I've hated any choices they've made before seeing the final product 

That being said, like Dr. Ryan I feel like I may have been wrong about the movie. It's obviously not just fans who hate what they're seeing anymore. I still hope this turns out for the best 

My friends who don't know anything about Sonic think it looks awful too. My best friend who hates Sonic thinks it looks horrible, but then he hates Sonic so what do you expect.

It looks pretty bad, but it's the fun kind of bad. Carrey as Eggman works a lot better than I expected.

I think I'll have a good time watching it at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

That being said, like Dr. Ryan I feel like I may have been wrong about the movie. It's obviously not just fans who hate what they're seeing anymore. I still hope this turns out for the best 

I hate to say it, because I actually admire that you've kept to your optimism in the face of such violent opposition, but sorry, we all knew this was going to be awful from the beginning. Sonic in live action is just not going to work, and especially the way they are doing it here.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

It's obviously not just fans who hate what they're seeing anymore. I still hope this turns out for the best 

I mean...it wasn’t just sonic fans complaining and hating what was being dripped out before. 😕

• Thumbs Up 3

30 minutes ago, Dr Ryan said:

I gotta say, as a defender of this movie (and I still am, it looks fun) I am genuinely surprised at the downvotes this is getting on YouTube. I thought outside of the superfans most people would just see a fun movie trailer and enjoy it. So either the general public thinks it looks shit too, or there are far more Sonic fans unhappy with this out there than I previously thought.

You must not spend much time on Twitter then. The general public has been savaging this movie every time something new about it drops.

Edit: I've also seen it compared to the Mario Bros movie a lot, which I feel is being tremendously unfair to the Mario Bros movie.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

5 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I mean...it wasn’t just sonic fans complaining before. 😕

No, but the internet complains about everything all the time lol. It can be hard to tell what is legitimate criticism and what is just people who've never created anything in their life complaining about because they bored or because it gets views/hits/upvotes/whatever it is internet people crave.

@CleverSonicUsername tagging you in to respond to your previous post!

2 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

...which I feel is being tremendously unfair to the Mario Bros movie.

It totally is, BUT BUT BUT...if at least Takashi Iizuka ends up liking the movie more than some other lesser adaptation then it'll end up in the same boat as the Mario Bros. Movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

If SEGA were tell us that they've decided this is the new direction of sonic going forward, I would completely understand all of the negativity coming from the fanbase. But this is something completely separate that i dont have to interact with, except to decide if I like the acting, the plot, the special effects, etc. This is not going to be sonic going forward or serve as the basis of the games, so what does it matter? Either you actually find it enjoyable or dont, you're not losing anything but 10 bucks. For contrast, Sonic 06 was fully intended to be the foundation of the series going forward before it released, so that direction was completely worth getting up in arms about. And then they abandoned it and went to modern sonic, and things were better.

This risks nothing for us fans. Either see it or dont. Your concerns should really be more with sonic team (or what's left of it). They control sonic's future in terms of the products you actually want. This has no bearing on that at all, it's just a cash grab that you either take or leave.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

If SEGA were tell us that they've decided this is the new direction of sonic going forward, I would completely understand all of the negativity coming from the fanbase. But this is something completely separate that i dont have to interact with, except to decide if I like the acting, the plot, the special effects, etc. This is not going to be sonic going forward or serve as the basis of the games, so what does it matter? Either you actually find it enjoyable or dont, you're not losing anything but 10 bucks. For contrast, Sonic 06 was fully intended to be the foundation of the series going forward before it released, so that direction was completely worth getting up in arms about. And then they abandoned it and went to modern sonic, and things were better.

This risks nothing for us fans. Either see it or dont. Your concerns should really be more with sonic team (or what's left of it). They control sonic's future in terms of the products you actually want. This has no bearing on that at all, it's just a cash grab that you either take or leave.

It's possible to be concerned about Sonic Team and point out Paramount's incredible failings with this film simultaneously. 

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

It's possible to be concerned about Sonic Team and point out Paramount's incredible failings with this film simultaneously. 

They're incredible failings if your bar was for sonic to fit your (and probably mine) specific vision of him. This just doesnt influence that. All we need to really be doing here is hoping the movie isnt a trainwreck, that's it.

A cool thing that I just discovered that was seen in the trailer. Apparently one of the voice actors from an very old Sonic TV show had an cameo appearance in the movie.:

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

They're incredible failings if your bar was for sonic to fit your (and probably mine) specific vision of him. This just doesnt influence that. All we need to really be doing here is hoping the movie isnt a trainwreck, that's it.

It's not about fitting a specific vision, it's about fitting any kind of vision that isn't nigh-bootleg tier.

• Thumbs Up 6

14 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

Edit: I've also seen it compared to the Mario Bros movie a lot, which I feel is being tremendously unfair to the Mario Bros movie.

If nothing else the Mario movie was at least interestingly bizarre in its choices of how to represent the series. With the Sonic movie so far, what isn't bad is just dull.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

If nothing else the Mario movie was at least interestingly bizarre in its choices of how to represent the series. With the Sonic movie so far, what isn't bad is just dull.

Yeah, the Mario movie has such an unconventional take, but it sticks to it. Its world is dripping with its own personality, and it's pretty charming to boot. People have started to come around on it in recent years, and rightfully so.

I don't think the same can be said for Sonic. They did a Smurfs. They Alvin and Chipmunked it. They did the bear minimum of taking these characters and putting them in "the real world," and that's really not enough. Look at Detective Pikachu, a movie I think looks like a carnival of horrors, but at least they're also going for it, and the reaction couldn't be more night and day between it and Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 4

With this franchise I've learned to have not have any sort of expectations at all because Sega, and particularly Sonic Team move in eradict, unpredictable ways.

But you don't really have to have any sort of expectations to know when something sucks. I can go into any resturant, not any one in particular, and know when I'm being served shit on a plate.

• Thumbs Up 5

10 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

It's not about fitting a specific vision, it's about fitting any kind of vision that isn't nigh-bootleg tier.

It seems like we'll disagree here. I dont think its bootleg tier. Definitely not amazing or close to D. Pikachu, but sonic himself is such a interesting and fun concept of a character that this trailer does enough for me., and hasnt butchered the concept. This seems ok and that's fine. 

Again, this is my view. I come to this series for the unique classic gameplay (and visual style in the games) experience it provides. If I can get any other enjoyment out of it that doesnt conflict with that, I'm good.

16 minutes ago, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

But it already is a trainwreck if you consider the utter backlash the trailer is getting

• Thumbs Up 3

Alright. I'm home now and I've had a few hours to process what I saw. It didn't do much good because I generally think and feel the same as I did when I initially watched the trailer.

Which is the same I felt when I was following the news of this thread. Which is the same I felt when I first heard the Sonic movie was going to be live-action. All this did, was pretty much confirm what I and a lot of other people already knew so there's not too much to be surprised about.

I'm not even going to bother entertaining  anyone who comes at me with the whole "Wait until the movie is out" song and dance. That's just the annoying cousin of the "wait until the trailer is out" defense and it often leads to the same result.

This movie is gonna be bad. It's gonna be shit.There's nothing we can do about it at this point.

Seeing the poster in the lobby of the movie theater, my friend asked me if I was going to see it since he knew how huge a Sonic fan I was. I said that I didn't want to but he suggested it might be good to riff on. I like the idea of that, especially since it's most certainly going to bomb so the theater might be empty. So maybe I will... but I'm dreading it because, aside from the one positive about the trailer, it doesn't even look like it'll be the fun kind of bad. 

This trailer was chock full of the same, old, dusty, tired ass jokes we've seen over and over again. We just got this a few months ago with Detective Pikachu. Some guy walks into his house and discovers the ugly CG thing there. Only this trailer takes it a step further by doing the whole "The man screams and then the CG trash-panda screams too" thing. Also, as time went on my thoughts and feelings about the Detective Pikachu designs and the idea of it has shifted more into the positive. I still don't think it'll be anything amazing but that sense of it being straight up unbearable isn't there anymore. That cannot be said for Sonic here.

I've known about and seen this Sonic design for a long while by this point and unlike Detective Deadpool, everytime I look at it, Sonic's design looks worse.

It's just horrendously bad. It's ugly. It's unpleasant. I can't look at it without feeling like there's something slimy in my throat. The way he's animated, especially his gross, almost wrinkly mouth, is uncanny valley to the enth degree.

The design change has been confirmed for me to be wholly unnecessary now. If this change was made to make him look and feel more realistic, than they fucking failed. He looks fake as shit. He's clearly not there. This is no Thanos. It's not even a Detective Pikachu. It's almost too fake looking. At least if he had his original design, he'd be pleasant to look at. Maybe then they could go for a more Roger Rabbit thing where the contrast was the literal point. 

That is, if it absolutely had to be live-action, which is doesn't. It just doesn't. There's nothing here that would leave me or anyone in the general public to believe that this movie was better off taking this direction. 

Ben Schwartz, from what I hear in this trailer, and previously the only positive news I heard, actually doesn't sound all that impressive. As a first impression take on his voice I feel he doesn't do a bad job  but it doesn't really sound like the voice of a fantasy character. Kind of sounds like a slightly higher pitched normal... dude. Which is fine, but for me, personally, it's hard imagining that voice coming out of Sonic. Since this thing isn't Sonic, I guess it's easier to mesh the two though.

I have a positive though. The only positive actually. Ironically it was the one major negative I had before this trailer. The Ben Schwartz and Jim Carrey thing kind of did a flip for me after watching it. Jim Carrey is most likely going to be doing the Jim Carrey Shuffle throughout this entire movie and I'm on board for that. What he's doing and saying isn't particularly clever or really all that funny on it's own, but his delivery in these scenes managed to get me to laugh.

It was one laugh. I laughed once. Still, 'one' is more than 'none' so I have to give credit where it's due. That man knows how to mug for a camera.

That bit at the end where he looks like actual Eggman was... interesting. I feel like it's fairly obvious that form of his will barely be in the movie. It might even be an after-credits scene to set up the sequel that's never happening.

Make no mistake too, this movie's not getting a sequel. SO not happening dude.

In conclusion, Jim Carrey looks like he'll be mildly amusing but he certainly won't be able to save it. This movie was doomed from the word go with all the development hell, studio hopping, and terrible concepts on the face of it.

I even remember the initial reaction to hearing it would be live-action. People compared it to the Smurfs and some mouthpiece had to come out and reassure us it wouldn't be like the Smurfs. And yet here we are. Blue CGI thing shows up to "OUR WORLD" and has to be kept secret in the duffel bag by our generic human "audience" surrogate. 

Oh but DA BIG BAD MILITARY HAS TO COME AND STO-Jesus Christ...

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1