Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Randomness is good : Let the chance choose for you biggrin.png As 100Rings said, it's only the first game, I think it's fun to have the surprise, for everybody ! I think it would be fun to take a game randomly at the last moment smile.png And if not, i'll propose Sonic Adventure 2, in order to make you addicted to chao.

• Thumbs Up 2

Randomness is good : Let the chance choose for you :D As 100Rings said, it's only the first game, I think it's fun to have the surprise, for everybody ! I think it would be fun to take a game randomly at the last moment :) And if not, i'll propose Sonic Adventure 2, in order to make you addicted to chao.

That's a good idea, actually! Maybe write each game on a piece of scrap paper, scrunch up the pieces of paper, put them into a bowl and pick without looking.

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic 3D Blast

Sonic 3 and Knuckles

Sonic Generations

Sonic CD

First of all let me tell you I consider all those really great and fun games with the exception Sonic 3D Blast (which is average at best in my opinion), but I would pick Sonic Adventure 2 and I would vote for you to play it at any time past 8pm PT.

Also talking about games, have you ever played the Sonic Rush games? Just out of curiosity.

While I do agree it was a but douchey to single Solid out in particular, the fact is this is happens way too much around here and in general, and it gets my goat. There are many other posts I could rib daily for doing this, but I've held my tongue because I thought something like this would happen. I do want to say, Solid, that this isn't personal at all and I didn't mean to insult/offend you at all with it. I just think it's a horrid way to talk because I see it so much and it's almost always how arguments start:

X states opinion as fact

Y states opinion as fact, makes subtle insinuation that X's opinion is invalid

X is offended Y doesn't even consider their opinion, begins debate with mean competitive undertones

Both think the other is wrong because they are trying to show their opinion as right; they aren't debating which opinion is more sensible or more reasoned, they're each just trying to show the other's is wrong.

So yes, I think we should be pedantic about this.

If you think we should be pedantic then let me correct you on this statement:

"The Eiffel Tower is big" is a fact, and stated as such. I do not need to say "It is a fact that the Eiffel Tower is big" for me to be stating it as fact. 

You said: "It is by far the best 3D Sonic game." Sounds like you think it's a fact to me.

Saying that the eiffel tower is big is not a fact since that would depend on what your comparing it to, you percieve it as big because you compared it to yourself but if you compared it to the earth it would be small. A fact is something that cant be changed no matter how you look at it. The eiffel Tower is bigger than me is a fact cause no matter how i look at it its bigger than me.

When it comes to dialogue....Hueston, we have a problem. The only really good examples of dialogue in Sonic from the top of my head are any game from Unleashed forwards. Though that could just be me, I know there are some people who are I different to Roger Craig Smith's portrayal of Sonic. While, in my opinion, Roger has done the best performance for Sonic, I can't deny that Griffith was brilliant towards the end of his run.

Ehh... pretty much every game in Sonic had horrid dialogue. Though, I love the Adventures for being so accidentally cheesy, and hated Colors and Generations for being purposely cheesy.

I think Secret Rings had some decent dialogue in the opening, from what I remember. I do remember playing through that game and thinking they had a decent portrayal of Sonic as a character.

If you think we should be pedantic then let me correct you on this statement:

Saying that the eiffel tower is big is not a fact since that would depend on what your comparing it to, you percieve it as big because you compared it to yourself but if you compared it to the earth it would be small. A fact is something that cant be changed no matter how you look at it. The eiffel Tower is bigger than me is a fact cause no matter how i look at it its bigger than me.

Staff have asked that this subject be dropped, and any comments regarding the tone of the forum be shifted to the Feedback section. Please heed this to avoid disciplinary action.

• Thumbs Up 1

When it comes to dialogue....Hueston, we have a problem. The only really good examples of dialogue in Sonic from the top of my head are any game from Unleashed forwards. Though that could just be me, I know there are some people who are I different to Roger Craig Smith's portrayal of Sonic. While, in my opinion, Roger has done the best performance for Sonic, I can't deny that Griffith was brilliant towards the end of his run.

I really think Ryan could have been the best if his scripting was less anime generic

Also I saw someone mention Secret Rings.....good choice!

I will also say Black Knight...come to think of it I REALLY liked the dialogues in that one.

In my opinion sa2 is a good game to start at if you wish to see how a good (3d only) sonic game works. It has great level design that fits Sonic since it portrays him as the action hero he is. The story is great to, it has flaws and some might say its too serious but it knows how to build suspense and how to make you crave for more. The characters are great even if they can be a bit stiff everyone has some purpose and learns something new about themselfs. I recommend sa1 as well since its also a great game by all means.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey Van, is there a possibility the film will be its own canon to separate from the games, comics, and cartoons?  It seems to be a standard when it comes to movie adaptations since a characters's design and attire will never match their iconic counterpart.  I know its not your department, but examples be like if Sonic's signature red/white sneakers featured a slightly modified design as they do from each game.  Kinda like how the sports tape on Sonic's shoes in Boom represents the white stripe. 

In my opinion sa2 is a good game to start at if you wish to see how a good (3d only) sonic game works. It has great level design that fits Sonic since it portrays him as the action hero he is. The story is great to, it has flaws and some might say its too serious but it knows how to build suspense and how to make you crave for more. The characters are great even if they can be a bit stiff everyone has some purpose and learns something new about themselfs. I recommend sa1 as well since its also a great game by all means.

Build off of the sense of "epic" SA2 had and add in the Scripting of SBK, finale of Secret Rings, sense of emotion like for instance from Tikal and Shadow, "situation" humor like in the Avengers movie and even SA1. That would be a sexy blend right there!

Just...please don't make it a comedy....we have had enough comedy since Unleashed/Colors.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've gotten some feedback that people would like me to play on twitch again. (maybe with the game volume not at deafening levels...) I have two questions. 

1) I'm probably going to play one of the 5 following games. Which would you rather watch and talk about?

(Please don't read too much into the list...):

Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic 3 and Knuckles
Sonic Generations
Sonic CD

2) When should I do this? What time of day? what day of week? weekday? weekend? afternoon? night?

Thanks guys (and gals)!

They are all really good games however i think you should play Sonic Adventure 2. Good story,characterization,good gameplay,and nice setting and atomosphere. Then you should play Sonic 3 and Knuckles for intense action and adventure.

Build off of the sense of "epic" SA2 had and add in the Scripting of SBK, finale of Secret Rings, sense of emotion like for instance from Tikal and Shadow, "situation" humor like in the Avengers movie and even SA1. That would be a sexy blend right there!

Just...please don't make it a comedy....we have had enough comedy since Unleashed/Colors.

Agreed no comedy...We need action and that sense of epicness.

• Thumbs Up 2

Agreed no comedy...We need action and that sense of epicness.

We can't have both? An epic story with comedic moments?

• Thumbs Up 7

Hey Van, is there a possibility the film will be its own canon to separate from the games, comics, and cartoons? 

Judging by how most film adaptations sort of just do their own thing from the source material, while bringing in/referencing the things that are well liked, yeah, it seems likely. Most people walking in just to see something brought to the big screen for the first time like something easy to follow, with little to no baggage.

I'm OK with redesigns on the sole basis of being good, but dear god, nothing drastically pushing for the realistic, obvious CG route.

I think he meant that the whole games story shouldnt be a comedy as in that the comedy is the focus. the story can have a few jokes but it shouldnt have too much priority and upset the balance of the story like recent titles have done.

When it comes to dialogue....Hueston, we have a problem. The only really good examples of dialogue in Sonic from the top of my head are any game from Unleashed forwards.

If anything, most in that criteria, are some of the worst examples, aside from Secret Rings and Black Knight. Now I can't say that all before Unleashed were great but Adventure 1 and 2 were decent, not to mention Sonic Battle, but there's also the archie and fleetway comics(Yeah I know, no VA's, but good writing, so they would work with any decent VA).

Aside from what game should be played, SA2, or maybe Sonic Battle. tongue.png

We can have a few jokes here and there but not too much. Sonic is all about action,explosions,and worldbulding...Comedy should not be the main focus in a Sonic series.

• Thumbs Up 1

We can have a few jokes here and there but not too much. Sonic is all about action,explosions,and worldbulding...Comedy should not be the main focus in a Sonic series.

Exactly. It's ok to have those moments, but hell, that's not even the issue. The issue is that they try to aim the games at children and turn them into modern day cartoons, which the majority of suck.

I still can't believe how many people recommend SA2, its aged horribly in my opinion and quite a few of the reviews of the re-release agree, the Sonic and Shadow levels are still pretty good and represent a "Sonic" game, but the rest are, well, below average.

That and in my opinion the story for SA2 is the LEAST Sonic'ish out of all the Sonic games outside of maybe '06 and Shadow because they tend to be viewed as horrible on all levels, and the storybook games for obvious reasons being based on outside material.

It's far too serious and...humans..and more monster of the week...and grandfathers, and a black genetically manipulated character whose emotional ending was ruined by brining him back again and again as a sometimes robot, sometimes alien...and a shoddy knockoff of the Death Egg that isn't...

I dunno, I've always thought that SA2 lacked the Sonic'ness that the classics and newer stuff like Colours and yes, even Unleashed had. Sonic does comedy, it does epic, it even does silly at times..but serious, I never thought any of the serious games they tried suited Sonic at all.

Again all personal opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

I still can't believe how many people recommend SA2, its aged horribly its aged horribly in my opinion and quite a few of the reviews of the re-release agree,

Not really, and it was on the top selling lists for Playstation Network and Xbox Live for a few months. So like what Lost World had to learn the hard way, screw the reviewers. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Yess!!! Thank you, I completely agree with both comments,that's how a kick ass Sonic story should be; an epic action/adventure tale that isn't affraid of being as cool and exciting as they can imagine, unlike the nickelodeon kids show the series has become since Sonic Colors.

Also I would really love the humor if it were like The Avengers, that was smart humor, very character driven, I think the only Sonic game that used really smart humor like that in its story was Sonic Chronicles, that game really made me giggle out loud in situations I didn't wanted to XD.

• Thumbs Up 1

I gotta admit, Chronicles was pretty good. I actuallly got a chuckle out of Cream saying "oh poo" when I hadn't found cream yet, also, some of the lines you could choose Sonic to say when he was being a wise ass.

I gotta admit, Chronicles was pretty good. I actuallly got a chuckle out of Cream saying "oh poo" when I hadn't found cream yet, also, some of the lines you could choose Sonic to say when he was being a wise ass.

Yeah, I couldn't help but to chose Sonic's "wink" response everytime as it often made me laugh, Sonic would even team up with Rouge to make fun of Amy in her face.

To me the writing, humor, action, etc is the least of my concerns. The idea that this movie is also live-action makes me cringe and and my expectations for this film is really low. I need to see a trailer to see if this is worth caring about or skip altogether. I want to be hyped and optimistic that Sonic is finally getting his first theatrical film but I can't really get behind that it's live-action.

Without giving away too much or taking sides, I have to agree. I think Sonic has had a comedic/sarcastic side to him since the beginning. To ignore that, would in my mind be as much of a problem ignoring the speed, action, and epicness. It's putting them all together in that careful measure that gets you Sonic. 

First of all let me tell you I consider all those really great and fun games with the exception Sonic 3D Blast (which is average at best in my opinion), but I would pick Sonic Adventure 2 and I would vote for you to play it at any time past 8pm PT.

Also talking about games, have you ever played the Sonic Rush games? Just out of curiosity.

3d blast is on the list as the "obscure"/ "weird" title. It's not a great Sonic game, but has a certain weird charm. I'd played it as a kid, but rented from Blockbuster and never beaten it til recently.

I never played the Sonic Rush games. The DS is basically the only major system I've never owned (not counting the Xbox One which I don't have). I have a 3ds now, but haven't gone back and played a lot of DS games. I did like to play as Jet the Hawk in Sonic Riders though!

• Thumbs Up 9

3D Blast definitely has some charm to it. Travelers Tales' work on the Sonic series in that game and R were actually pretty neatly in line with some of the look that Sonic Team was going for during that era, and it was also all warm, simple and colorful looking.

Oh yeah, and 3D Blast is actually pretty fun to play if you can get over the "flicky" part. Speaking of that, there's also a hack of it that allows you to play it like a normal Sonic game. (It's a lot better than the normal game, just saying.)

• Thumbs Up 2