Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

2 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Sonic's only able to use his super speed when he's really focused or undergoing intense emotion.

Oh great, so he's basically like Raven/Starfire from Teen Titans now..

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Legendary Emerald said:

Let's talk about trailers for a moment. It's very rare that a trailer this bad and unpromising still leads to a good film, but it'd be disingenuous of us to say it has never happened.

The only film in recent times that I can think of which had a really bad first trailer but actually turned out to be a pretty good film, was Star Trek Beyond.

But this is just... "We have to make it realistic or people won't take it seriously!"

1795.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=60cbb9cae9d286c0fc8ec9b935ae7cb3

People are not going to take ManHog the Shiny Teeth seriously.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 4

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

The only film in recent times that I can think of which had a really bad first trailer but actually turned out to be a pretty good film, was Star Trek Beyond.

But this is just... "We have to make it realistic or people won't take it seriously!"

1795.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=60cbb9cae9d286c0fc8ec9b935ae7cb3

Oh, I entirely agree. My post isn't meant to defend the film in any way, but I wanted to cover some bases I hadn't seen explored before here.

Just for fun though, in addition to my example of Ghosbusters 2016,  I also remember the initial trailers for Paddington Bear being so disgusting and unfunny that I never could have imagined it being decent. To my and everyone else's surprise, it became a modern family film classic and got a sequel only a few years later. And I STILL haven't seen it, because the imagery in that trailer was so bad. Even if this Sonic movie did turn out to be a good family film, I probably wouldn't be able to bring myself to watch it for the same reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Good sir, I will tell you that that is no "hog" of any kind. That right there is a grossly humanoid cyclops that appears to have some freakishly white choppers.

3 minutes ago, Legendary Emerald said:

Oh, I entirely agree. My post isn't meant to defend the film in any way, but I wanted to cover some bases I hadn't seen explored before here

I know you're not, I just wanted to add a little more than "Star Trek Beyond is the one rare exception."

• Thumbs Up 1

Midnight's Edge, a truly fantastic channel with lots of inside contacts, are currently covering this movie.

I guarantee you it will be interesting viewing. These guys really know their shit.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have been hot with a deep depression know knowing that this movie won't be out until 9th January here in Australia. I honestly don't know what to do.

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

...it's not actually unreasonable for him to be caught by surprise and fail to use it.

I wish more people would think like this...especially when it came to flying characters.

Just now, Alexios31 said:

I have been hot with a deep depression know knowing that this movie won't be out until 9th January here in Australia. I honestly don't know what to do.

If it's something that's seriously effecting you that badly, well, I don't know if that's entirely healthy but I can safely assure you the camrip will be online before long.

4 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

Fly to the USA?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Fly to the USA?

I'm strongly considering it... money is just going to be an issue. 

8 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

UK is only 2 weeks sooner. Get yourself into a press screening before hand. That's what I'm gonna do. It's always possible to blag your way into these things if you get chatting to the staff.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Fly to the USA?

Dude, if it were that easy for him, do you think he would be depressed, like at all? He obviously don't have the money to do that if he's tweeting that.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Ruomarta said:

Dude, if it were that easy for him, do you think he would be depressed, like at all? He obviously don't have the money to do that if he's tweeting that.

There's 6 months to sort that out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even aside from the possibility that Sonic is still figuring out how to use his speed, it's not actually unreasonable for him to be caught by surprise and fail to use it. Sure, yes, he's apparently capable of moving/thinking so fast that it's as if time has stopped, but we see this in a situation where he's clearly aware that he's about to be attacked. Compare this to being caught unaware, and everyone starts screaming, and a dart gets fired without warning. He's not a flawless machine always picking the optimal choice, he's a trash rat with a superpower.

Boo

This isn't Sonic getting sucker-punched in the back of the head. Sonic was clearly in restricted territory (rummaging around someones garage) and should have been on some degree of alert since he theoretically would be putting great emphasis on not getting caught. (its not a stretch to say he avoids interactions with humans). Marston doens't enter the room gun blazing either. Not only does he announce his presence, but upon entry is flashing his light in the wrong direction before swiveling to locate Sonic. Cue banter, cue dart.

Even if you take out the banter as creative editing, Marston wasn't getting the jump on a speedster like that. A person with normal reaction time would have had enough time to at least attempt to scuttle and hide behind a box or something. You can't waive off Sonic getting caught off guard when the threat telegraphed its entry and even looked the wrong way. Sonic by any stretch of the imagination should have been LONG gone. Marston should have found nothing but a gust of wind.

If he got shot in the back? Sure. If he got startled and fell down giving the guy a clear shot? okay. But not standing on his feet staring directly as a guy pointing a GUN AT HIS FACE. Nope. Not buying what your selling one bit.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Dr Ryan said:

UK is only 2 weeks sooner. Get yourself into a press screening before hand. That's what I'm gonna do. It's always possible to blag your way into these things if you get chatting to the staff.

No press screenings here until early January. I honestly might have to fly to the states...

53 minutes ago, Legendary Emerald said:

The Ghosbusters 2016 trailer that this thread so often brings up was indeed no good, but the film itself turned out to be perfectly fine and funny, and a lot of the people who still hold strong negative feelings for the film either 1) never saw it when it came out, or 2) are the type of people who watched and created videos with titles such as "Feminazis RUIN the GhostBUSTAHs.

I watched it, it was shit, boring, and most of the humor was forced feeling. Certainly was one of the least funny films of that year. If you’re seriously insinuating most who don’t like it never saw it or are bigots that hate women, I’m at a loss for words

23 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

I'm strongly considering it... money is just going to be an issue. 

Dude, it’s a film that’ll likely be under average and disappointing in a lot of ways, it’s not worth throwing a ton of hard earned money for just to travel to a different country just to see a movie a few months early. 

• Thumbs Up 5

9 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

If he got shot in the back? Sure. If he got startled and fell down giving the guy a clear shot? okay. But not standing on his feet staring directly as a guy pointing a GUN AT HIS FACE. Nope. Not buying what your selling one bit.

Reaction time = predicting what someone would do and when they'll do it...is all this means.

Sonic got shot by a guy, let it be.

9 minutes ago, KHCast said:

I watched it, it was shit, boring, and most of the humor was forced feeling. Certainly was one of the least funny films of that year. If you’re seriously insinuating most who don’t like it never saw it or are bigots that hate women, I’m at a loss for words

Dude, it’s a film that’ll likely be under average and disappointing in a lot of ways, it’s not worth throwing a ton of hard earned money for just to travel to a different country just to see a movie a few months early. 

I’ve been waiting for a Sonic movie my whole life... it may be a bad movie but it will still bring me lots of joy. 

• Fist Bump 1

14 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

No press screenings here until early January. I honestly might have to fly to the states...

Well the states is always a blast with a gnarly craft beer scene. There are worse ideas! :)

22 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

There's 6 months to sort that out.

Not to say that he can't, but you do realize that international travel is EXTREMELY expensive, especially these days? And not to jinx his financial situation, but who knows what issue may come down the line for him.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Reaction time = predicting what someone would do and when they'll do it...is all this means.

What? Thats not what reaction time means at all.

Reaction time is the measurable amount of time it takes for someone or something to take in input/information and turn it into an action. Anything based on prediction is the opposite of reaction.

Sonic got shot by a guy, let it be.

If people like me let it be, then future writers will try to get away with it.

Its not a problem with getting shot, its the manner in which it happens. Professor Zoom (Reverse Flash) gets his brains blown out in one of the DC animated movies - but it came from an unexpected angle and time, so it worked. Its not too much to ask for some creativity?

Even aside from the possibility that Sonic is still figuring out how to use his speed, it's not actually unreasonable for him to be caught by surprise and fail to use it. Sure, yes, he's apparently capable of moving/thinking so fast that it's as if time has stopped, but we see this in a situation where he's clearly aware that he's about to be attacked. Compare this to being caught unaware, and everyone starts screaming, and a dart gets fired without warning. He's not a flawless machine always picking the optimal choice, he's a trash rat with a superpower.

Since he's still figuring out his power, I can't wait for the scene where we learn that it's gonna be a throwaway character like Tom who gives him the 'Sonic' name.

Also, I could at least give the movie a few points for being self-aware if Tom said something like "You look something straight out from a shitty video game adaptaion movie!"

6 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Reaction time is the measurable amount of time it takes for someone or something to take in input/information and turn it into an action. Anything based on prediction is the opposite of reaction.

Sonic should've expected to get shot...even though he did nothing to warrant getting shot.

Sonic should not have expected to get shot...because he did nothing to warrant that.

Even if the guy was holding a weapon, most people only fire if provoked.

From what I see with this type of complaint is that Sonic should've predicted the guy would shoot and react accordingly. That's all it is.

Or should I use the word expect.