Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Without giving away to much or taking sides, I have to agree. I think Sonic has had a comedic/sarcastic side to him since the beginning. To ignore that, would in my mind be as much of a problem ignoring the speed, action, and epicness. It's putting them all together in that careful measure that gets you Sonic. 

I like the sound of that!

3d blast is on the list as the "obscure"/ "weird" title. It's not a great Sonic game, but has a certain weird charm. I'd played it as a kid, but rented from Blockbuster and never beaten it til recently.

I never played the Sonic Rush games. The DS is basically the only major system I've never owned (not counting the Xbox One which I don't have). I have a 3ds now, but haven't gone back and played a lot of DS games. I did like to play as Jet the Hawk in Sonic Riders though!

Well I can't deny I loved the look and feel of Sonic 3D Blast as well as the soundtrack (Saturn version).

Hopefully someone at Sony can give you a copy of Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure as a gift, those games would certainly fall in the "good/obscure title" category.

I always liked the Saturn version of 3D Blast better, loved the half pipe special stages and the more atmospheric music. Plus it was one of my first Saturn games alongside the spectacular Sonic Jam. So I may be a bit nostalgic.

Speaking of Sonic Jam, have you watched the old Sonic OVA's or any other media for other people take on Sonic's world and how they portraid it in media Van? Might be a good way to see what's good and bad in Sonic media.

Without giving away too much or taking sides, I have to agree. I think Sonic has had a comedic/sarcastic side to him since the beginning. To ignore that, would in my mind be as much of a problem ignoring the speed, action, and epicness. It's putting them all together in that careful measure that gets you Sonic. 

I diagree with this, can you point out where in the classics he was being sarcastic or what scene exactly got you to laugh? sonic doesnt like to wait which is why he shows that he is bored when you dont move him around, when you defeat a boss he shows a victory pose cause he is cocky. He confronts his enemies and tells them that they are nothing compared to him like with metal sonic since again he is confident and cocky.

To me the classics play more for action and drama, in sonic 1 you have lava that chases you, water that rises so that it can kill you and the last level is realy trying to kill you. In sonic 2 tails gets shot out of the sky ( we dont know if he is alive until the end of the level ) you chase and jump up on eggmans ship as it takes you to the final zone. when beating the final zone sonic outrun explosions, and jumps out of the station so that he can survive, he then while falling gets picked up by a worried tails who proceeds to land the plane. I can go on since there is a lot more but you get it. I see no comedy in here nor any sarcasm, only colors and those games have that. 

You can extrapolate quite a bit from Sonic's impatience and other such traits in the the first games. Those characteristics didn't come out of nowhere later, they were always there and were just expanded on logically. Also Sega does what Nintendon't... So there's that!

That said, I think you are confusing being a comedic character and being a comedy character. I would liken Sonic somewhat to Iron Man in the Iron Man movies. The stakes are real. The action is real, but Tony Stark is a character with comedic qualities.

I'm gonna do a quick twitch test RIGHT NOW to figure out settings for the next time I do it. Those who are up, please join me at

twitch.com/Vanrobi

• Thumbs Up 6

That said, I think you are confusing being a comedic character and being a comedy character. I would like Sonic somewhat to Iron Man in the Iron Man movies. The stakes are real. The action is real, but Tony Stark is a character with comedic qualities.

I put Eggman around the category as the Joker, a bit -- they're not the same, but there's traits there.. He's childish but still dangerous.

Eggman has a huge showmanship about him and that should play out a bit more in his careless-attitude towards other people's lives. He's pretty detached to what he does for people but soaks up the glory and any admiration he can get.

Admittedly, I am worried about what this film will do with the doctor.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can extrapolate quite a bit from Sonic's impatience and other such traits in the the first games. Those characteristics didn't come out of nowhere later, they were always there and were just expanded on logically. Also Sega does what Nintendon't... So there's that!

That said, I think you are confusing being a comedic character and being a comedy character. I would like Sonic somewhat to Iron Man in the Iron Man movies. The stakes are real. The action is real, but Tony Stark is a character with comedic qualities.

Yes sega does what nintendont and what you percieve as sarcasm can be seen as just being impatient, im not gonna deny that adapting sarcasm to that is fitting. 

While i actualy did confuse comedic character with comedy character you did not point out anything specific from the games that made you think like this. It would be good to have some examples so that i can see what you see, Especialy since i asked for it so i could understand your viewpoint.

As for if Sonic should have ironmans sense of humor, yes as long as it doesnt steal the focus than that would be okay in my books.

Hey Van, is there a possibility the film will be its own canon to separate from the games, comics, and cartoons?  It seems to be a standard when it comes to movie adaptations since a characters's design and attire will never match their iconic counterpart.  I know its not your department, but examples be like if Sonic's signature red/white sneakers featured a slightly modified design as they do from each game.  Kinda like how the sports tape on Sonic's shoes in Boom represents the white stripe.

Four Sonic continuities?

Sonic's done it before in the 90s (well actually I think it was more like ten if you count them all) ... will we see a repeat of that now?

I think that'd be very interesting, to say the least. It's a safe bet the film wouldn't fit exactly into any preexisting universe, thus leaving us with four total.

Without giving away too much or taking sides, I have to agree. I think Sonic has had a comedic/sarcastic side to him since the beginning. To ignore that, would in my mind be as much of a problem ignoring the speed, action, and epicness. It's putting them all together in that careful measure that gets you Sonic.

This was why I brought up the archie comics before, they do a good job with this because the comedy isn't over baring and forced for kids sake. Sonic can be all that, but as far as comedy goes, the games have done a very poor job of that. In the comics? Sonic's remarks or more like quick quips, kinda like Spider-Man with more style.

Unfortunately that twitch test didn't work. The worst part was how we weren't able to talk about any stuff I wasn't supposed to. I probably would have deleted the stream afterwards, but I never got the chance to do it so that never came up!! Oh well. wink.png

• Thumbs Up 1

That said, I think you are confusing being a comedic character and being a comedy character. I would liken Sonic somewhat to Iron Man in the Iron Man movies. The stakes are real. The action is real, but Tony Stark is a character with comedic qualities.

Heh, plenty of snark but not oblivious to danger. I like the sound of that.

This might not sound like a serious question, but it kind of is; Can we get a reference to Sanic Hegehog in the film? He's become quite popular among the fanbase to say the least, I feel that perhaps having him on a poster or carved into a tree in the background of a scene might be a good nod to the meme. And it wouldn't really feel forced either since Sanic is a parody of Sonic, and it wouldn't really be prominent.

I still can't believe how many people recommend SA2, its aged horribly in my opinion and quite a few of the reviews of the re-release agree, the Sonic and Shadow levels are still pretty good and represent a "Sonic" game, but the rest are, well, below average.

That and in my opinion the story for SA2 is the LEAST Sonic'ish out of all the Sonic games outside of maybe '06 and Shadow because they tend to be viewed as horrible on all levels, and the storybook games for obvious reasons being based on outside material.

It's far too serious and...humans..and more monster of the week...and grandfathers, and a black genetically manipulated character whose emotional ending was ruined by brining him back again and again as a sometimes robot, sometimes alien...and a shoddy knockoff of the Death Egg that isn't...

I dunno, I've always thought that SA2 lacked the Sonic'ness that the classics and newer stuff like Colours and yes, even Unleashed had. Sonic does comedy, it does epic, it even does silly at times..but serious, I never thought any of the serious games they tried suited Sonic at all.

Again all personal opinion.

I agree. I like SA2, but just because of Sonic and Shadow. The story involves too much humans, military conspiracies and a less cool Sonic. Feels like Bayformers.

This might not sound like a serious question, but it kind of is; Can we get a reference to Sanic Hegehog in the film? He's become quite popular among the fanbase to say the least, I feel that perhaps having him on a poster or carved into a tree in the background of a scene might be a good nod to the meme. And it wouldn't really feel forced either since Sanic is a parody of Sonic, and it wouldn't really be prominent.

Ehhh...

I'm not sure I like my internet meme references in my big-screen films. Keep that shish to the internet.

• Thumbs Up 8

I put Eggman around the category as the Joker, a bit -- they're not the same, but there's traits there.. He's childish but still dangerous.

Eggman has a huge showmanship about him and that should play out a bit more in his careless-attitude towards other people's lives. He's pretty detached to what he does for people but soaks up the glory and any admiration he can get.

Admittedly, I am worried about what this film will do with the doctor.

Truthfully....If they combine the SA1 "hammy" Eggman persona with the SA2 "I mean business" Eggman persona....that would be perfection!

no......memes.....

• Thumbs Up 3

Ehhh...

I'm not sure I like my internet meme references in my big-screen films. Keep that shish to the internet.

Those are my sentiments as well. If there was a great Sanic joke/reference I came up with that I really liked, I suppose I could convince myself, but it would be a tough sell (to myself).

Those are my sentiments as well. If there was a great Sanic joke/reference I came up with that I really liked, I suppose I could convince myself, but it would be a tough sell (to myself).

The only joke I can see being made that could be considered a meme/popular joke is where Sonic puts all those rings he collects. I feel like a joke like that could work, similar to how it was pulled off in Generations. 

I'm still... not that hyped for this movie.

Not in the "I know I'll hate this movie" way, though.

I'm more like "even if this movie is going to suck, at least I'll forever be happy that Sonic appeared in one popular and successfull movie more than a certain other videogame icon"

roflbot-4.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

That's a thought, will rings have an involvement in the movie or will it be like the old Sonic cartoons where they aren't involved? Or maybe go the Sonic X route where collecting rings powers Sonic up or something.

That's a thought, will rings have an involvement in the movie or will it be like the old Sonic cartoons where they aren't involved? Or maybe go the Sonic X route where collecting rings powers Sonic up or something.

Hmmm, that's an interesting question. As far as I see it, you can't include rings without doing them the X way -- if you make them as (relatively) underpowered as they are in the games, then you they won't serve much real use in building excitement. On the other hand, the writers could pull something where they're currency and Sonic collects a whole bunch of it, then they're never mentioned again.

Though, it would be less tricky if they were to simply be omitted.

If there is one thing that I want to see in this movie, it's that one running gag that always manages to make me chuckle (unlike Knuckles).

I am of course talking about the almighty faceplant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe3sv-gaFg0

Oh yeah, we need the floor kisses. I'm actually kind of disappointed that we haven't seen them in a while. I hope Boom has plenty of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah, we need the floor kisses. I'm actually kind of disappointed that we haven't seen them in a while. I hope Boom has plenty of them.

Boom does have them. In the very first trailer actually. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRprvD5J-YA

@ 0:33 

So don't worry, it's not forgotten. tongue.png

If this movie ends up being successful, then I'm hoping for Metal Sonic to appear in a sequel...

Unless he's going to appear in the first one, but I'm kinda hoping that that one will mostly focus on Sonic and Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 2

Van, if your listening, please, for the love of all that is good, please do NOT include any toilet humor. If the executives at Sony tell you to add toilet humor, please do everything in your power to convince them not to add it in. 

• Thumbs Up 9

Van, if your listening, please, for the love of all that is good, please do NOT include any toilet humor. If the executives at Sony tell you to add toilet humor, please do everything in your power to convince them not to add it in. 

Come on, now. The fact that we have someone working on the movie right here is the first sign that they can at the very least pretend they know what they're doing.

He's right. Sonic doesn't need potty humor.