Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

How could this design have gone so far without test audiences saying something.. or maybe they did, and it was actually varying levels of worse before?

24 minutes ago, Razule said:

How could this design have gone so far without test audiences saying something.. or maybe they did, and it was actually varying levels of worse before?

I can imagine the test audience either being blind, people frozen in cryogenic chambers since 1987, or Amish folk or literal people who were living under rocks.

Considering how recognized sonic is all three are possible, sure Sonic isnt wide spread anymore but he is still widely known.

28 minutes ago, Razule said:

Well, the current rumor mill is that Sega and Sonic Team didn't like the design, but the film crew or whoever the hell it is that's in charge of it ignored it.

How much can they realistically change at this point? Props for listening, and I hate being mean as he seems like a good guy, but like... I don't see them making this movie into something we all like without going full Metroid Prime 4 on this shit.

• Thumbs Up 2

The only way I'll ever see this movie in theaters is if Sonic looked like this

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Well, the current rumor mill is that Sega and Sonic Team didn't like the design, but the film crew or whoever the hell it is that's in charge of it ignored it.

And now they face our wrath, yup good jorb viacom for ignoring the bloody company who created sonic in the first place.

Sure i taken the piss on Sega and Sonic team but when they know you are dong something wrong there is only one logical thing to do:

You know you done fucked up when the company behind this monkey turd is telling you no:

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG

When Sonic 06 is looking better than you know got issues.

https://twitter.com/milkykau/status/1123453421980389377?s=19

D5dO7ksW0AEcnUj (1).jpg

Just... Do this.

I don't care if it is not ideal, I don't care if he still has two eyes, fix his face to be something I can look at, this is a realistic change, is not impossible to make them change him to look like this. Delay this movie to 2020 and DO NOT OVERWORK ANIMATORS FOR YOUR STUPID HIGHER (FUCK) UPS MISTAKES.

5 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

https://twitter.com/milkykau/status/1123453421980389377?s=19

D5dO7ksW0AEcnUj (1).jpg

Just... Do this.

I don't care if it is not ideal, I don't care if he still has two eyes, fix his face to be something I can look at, this is a realistic change, is not impossible to make them change him to look like this. Delay this movie to 2020 and DO NOT OVERWORK ANIMATORS FOR YOUR STUPID HIGHER (FUCK) UPS MISTAKES.

Yeah i can work with this, because in all honesty the rest of the CGI model they have now is okay.... sure it could be shorter and have less human proportions but at least the face can be fixed.

I don't think fixing the design is a viable option at this point. Seems like damage-control PR talk to me (and if they DO change something it'll be something like... changing his eyes to green or adding even more shoelaces). It's like the movie version of 2006, it's flawed to the core and the only thing that could have been done to save it would be to scrap it early in development and start over.

I mentioned earlier in this topic that I'd be willing to see the movie for Carrey alone, but I don't think I'll do that now. I have no interest in the movie nor do I feel compelled to give it a chance. I'll check out some clips of his scenes on Youtube if nothing else.

• Thumbs Up 4

They are not going to change much. You got 5 months to fix something important to nearly the entire film. I expect small changes UNLESS they force them to work huge overtime. But people will be upset with them if they force them to do that. Its a double edged sword from here on out.

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

I'm not sure how they can fixed this up, since the damage had been done. They already released 4 posters in one day.

Thank goodness releasing posters has no effect on what they can do to actually to the movie's contents. As the industry has shown multiple times.

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

They are not going to change much. You got 5 months to fix something important to nearly the entire film. I expect small changes UNLESS they force them to work huge overtime. But people will be upset with them if they force them to do that. Its a double edged sword from here on out.

I say a delay would be better, fuck Viacoms original deadline of November 8th 2019....

Give the animation team a chance and fix this.... it can be done but not in this short about of time.

Another year Viacom, please for the sake of Odin/Ra/ Zeus/Jesus/ God/ Allah/ Buddha/Vishnu/Flying spaghetti monster/Invisible pink unicorn/Tarvu/the subgenious!

I find it interesting to see this happening at all in response to the backlash as it will undoubtedly raise the film's budget to make any changes minor or otherwise and I just find it hard to believe that investors are willing to pay more for this after the backlash that has occurred. Is there really belief amongst those ponying up the money for this that correcting the design will more than make up for the costs and risk of a delay costing even more money? It's become a very curious scenario to me.

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Its much like how archie characters used to do it. Teen characters trying to appeal to children because they are supposed to be someone aspiring or someone you could relate to. For example while I never wanted to be like sonic, characters like shadow I related to on some level because I had gone though things. Standard stuff , pretty common, TMNT does it, sailor moon does it. Its very VERY standard.

So for someone to not get this, when its very apparent and written all over the character, seems like a pretty big woopsie

I'm not quite sure if you're saying that I didn't get Sonic's intent and that was a mistake or if you are reacting to a different perspective. Your wording is kind of a little odd. Since it does read though as if it is aimed at my perspective I'll respond as such.

I turned 6 in August of 1991, the same year I was introduced to Sonic and the idea of him being the cool teenager that a grade-schooler like me would look up to. This was through the marketing of him where I lived in Arizona and even my friends at school had the same outlook. It was even easier for us to come to that perspective of Sonic as well because as it turns out one member of our group actually had the cool teenage older brother that everyone looked up to and wondered how to be like that. He was our real life Sonic and because of the distance between us grade-schoolers and a teenager Sonic was not relatable, he was larger than life and awe inspiring. He was cool incarnate to us and to me at least he inspired me to do my best when playing to see him at his best which was only further cemented with Sonic CD.

So if I missed the point that he was supposed to be relatable to a 6 year old when I was a 6 year old because he was being advertised as a larger than life teenage rebel then the advertising must have missed the point as well putting the whoopsie on them and not me. That or as you find Shadow relatable due your life experiences my life experiences and introduction to the character are why I see him as a larger than life character not to relate to, but to be inspired by, and since for the longest time I was able to see that narrative in the games it must have been there to some extent. Telling me that 6 year old me misinterpreted how I was supposed to perceive Sonic as relatable to me instead of as larger than life as teenagers to me at that time were seems more than a little harsh and condescending.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

This bullshit comes out in November. If the animators are forced to crunch their time on re-working his design before it comes out then they're all going to age 50 years in the span of a few months.

And he might even look worse. We see him again, he'll be melting.

• Thumbs Up 8

Yeah it’s really not worth it to crunch employees massively (I mean it’s never okay to do crunch) just so shareholders are “satisfied” with their investment.

1 minute ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

This bullshit comes out in November. If the animators are forced to crunch their time on re-working his design before it comes out then they're all going to age 50 years in the span of a few months.

And he might even look worse. We see him again, he'll be melting.

Yeah I really blame viacom for such a deadline, but maybe its time to stick it to investors for a change.

6 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I find it interesting to see this happening at all in response to the backlash as it will undoubtedly raise the film's budget to make any changes minor or otherwise and I just find it hard to believe that investors are willing to pay more for this after the backlash that has occurred. Is there really belief amongst those ponying up the money for this that correcting the design will more than make up for the costs and risk of a delay costing even more money? It's become a very curious scenario to me.

I'm not quite sure if you're saying that I didn't get Sonic's intent and that was a mistake or if you are reacting to a different perspective. Your wording is kind of a little odd. Since it does read though as if it is aimed at my perspective I'll respond as such.

I turned 6 in August of 1991, the same year I was introduced to Sonic and the idea of him being the cool teenager that a grade-schooler like me would look up to. This was through the marketing of him where I lived in Arizona and even my friends at school had the same outlook. It was even easier for us to come to that perspective of Sonic as well because as it turns out one member of our group actually had the cool teenage older brother that everyone looked up to and wondered how to be like that. He was our real life Sonic and because of the distance between us grade-schoolers and a teenager Sonic was not relatable, he was larger than life and awe inspiring. He was cool incarnate to us and to me at least he inspired me to do my best when playing to see him at his best which was only further cemented with Sonic CD.

So if I missed the point that he was supposed to be relatable to a 6 year old when I was a 6 year old because he was being advertised as a larger than life teenage rebel then the advertising must have missed the point as well putting the whoopsie on them and not me. That or as you find Shadow relatable due your life experiences my life experiences and introduction to the character are why I see him as a larger than life character not to relate to, but to be inspired by, and since for the longest time I was able to see that narrative in the games it must have been there to some extent. Telling me that 6 year old me misinterpreted how I was supposed to perceive Sonic as relatable to me instead of as larger than life as teenagers to me at that time were seems more than a little harsh and condescending.

Not you , the movie studio

You are fine

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't even want them to change anything this late in the game. Doesn't seem worth it since the movie doesn't look particularly good even if you ignore the design.

• Thumbs Up 8

Maybe the design fix really is just PR? Ya know like how Ian Flynn had a #KnowingSmile for Forces when it was wholly Japanese-penned. 

3 minutes ago, Celestia said:

I don't even want them to change anything this late in the game. Doesn't seem worth it since the movie doesn't look particularly good even if you ignore the design.

Yeah like is this point what are you saving

If someone is really interested in a better sonic film. Do a spiderman, and try again in a couple years with another more competent studio and ideas. It doesn't look great and its been sent to die, it is what it is. Ya'll had multiple opportunities to see that it looked like garbage and ya'll didn't. Don't overwork a bunch of animators because ya'll are blind

• Thumbs Up 3

Any studio that thought Sonic's design was okay to send out to be judged by the internet looking the way it did can't be expected to make a good Sonic movie, even if they did manage to fix it. 

That design isn't an "Oh shit, we fucked up" thing. It's a "This would never cross the mind of a studio that knew what they were doing" thing. 

• Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Maybe the design fix really is just PR? Ya know like how Ian Flynn had a #KnowingSmile for Forces when it was wholly Japanese-penned. 

He did the tie-in comic for the game, so he wasn't lying.

Think they are gonna have to put those Baby Sonic plushes on hold...