Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

10 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

At this point even if they "fix" it, what would that really do for the movie as a whole?

For many, that would probably be enough.

Oh, it wouldn't fix the movie, but many people would go "Well, it's not making me puke now, so I'll watch it."

5 minutes ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

I saw this and I bursted out laughing. :lol:

D5heR_EWkAAgu9r.png

THE REMASTER TO END ALL REMASTERS

7 minutes ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

I saw this and I bursted out laughing. :lol:

D5heR_EWkAAgu9r.png

I saw it and burst out crying.

• Chuckle 3
  • My Emmerdoods 2
  • Way Past Cool 1
  • Absolutely 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

34 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

For many, that would probably be enough.

Oh, it wouldn't fix the movie, but many people would go "Well, it's not making me puke now, so I'll watch it."

I'm a example of that. A good enough fix for Sonic would be enough for me to watch it. That wouldn't fix the lame story for me true... but as I am overall more obsessed with art/design then I am anything else... that part alone can make or break a deal for me. Right now there is almost nothing good art/design wise going for this movie and that hurts me, because the designs are among the main reason I enjoy the Sonic series.

2 hours ago, Alexios31 said:

Absolutely devastated by the re-design. This was the Sonic for the MOVIE. People needed to accept that. Now I fear the movie will be delayed significantly. Just a real damn shame if you ask me. 

Not everyone is going to accept something that is unpalatable. It's like saying, "Well, they worked hard so it's good." Wrong. Just because you work hard, doesn't mean something is good. Every artist knows that. You can work on something and still see the flaws within it. I'm sure the people who worked hard understand that when you put something out to the public, it's going to get criticized. You learn from your mistakes, especially when you're taking liberties with a well-known and iconic public figure franchise. I know that it's not all their fault, the big wigs had a lot to do with it as well. But saying people should accept something just because it exists isn't a justifiable reason.  

I'd rather have a delayed film than a bad one. It's the same with games as well. Rushing things will not make them better and if they take the time to polish and come up with something that truly fits Sonic as a character but gives them the 'realism' they crave then it's worth the delay. I just hope that they do take the critique and put it to good use. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I’d be very impressed if they manage to redesign Sonic so quickly, what with only 6 months left until the movie comes out! Unless it’s minor changes like making the eyes bigger, I dunno.

I just hope the CG animators aren’t going to crunch on this.. =/ perhaps they will delay it instead. 

7 hours ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

So as you guys know, the Sonic Movie director revealed that changes will be coming to Sonic's film design. But in order to meet the release date this is what's going to probably happen.

So basically it's going to be cramming months of work in a Way shorter amount of time. That's about the only way of meeting the release date.

Also, the trailer that was seen by the YouTuber DreamcastGuy (I apologize if I got the name wrong) who seen the trailer early. How many months back was that? As I'm curious.

Yup.

I'm a hobbyist animator, and mostly worked in an easier tool like Source Filmmaker (and this tool isn't really an orthodox one such as the Autodesk line, so things are probably very different.) When you change a model up, the rig has to align be exact if you want to swap out the model. At the least, it has to be VERY, VERY close if you're okay with doing some extra work to fix up broken animation and oddities. However, I can get away with some cheeky shortcuts like camera tricks, but these guys, these animators, can't. It's a movie, preshot. The angle of the camera is what they have to go with.

They do have the benefit of a whole team, but they're probably exhausted, underpaid, and pissed off.

It's going to get REALLY bad depending on how much Sonic interacts with himself. Like rubbing his head, playing with his hands, and etc. The more he does that, the more it's vital the proportions have to much. Otherwise, you're gonna have to reanimate the entire scenes from the start.

Hoo boy.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Yup.

I'm a hobbyist animator, and mostly worked in an easier tool like Source Filmmaker (and this tool isn't really an orthodox one such as the Autodesk line, so things are probably very different.) When you change a model up, the rig has to align be exact if you want to swap out the model. At the least, it has to be VERY, VERY close if you're okay with doing some extra work to fix up broken animation and oddities. However, I can get away with some cheeky shortcuts like camera tricks, but these guys, these animators, can't. It's a movie, preshot. The angle of the camera is what they have to go with.

They do have the benefit of a whole team, but they're probably exhausted, underpaid, and pissed off.

It's going to get REALLY bad depending on how much Sonic interacts with himself. Like rubbing his head, playing with his hands, and etc. The more he does that, the more it's vital the proportions have to much. Otherwise, you're gonna have to reanimate the entire scenes from the start.

Hoo boy.

Can't wait for the inevitable comment that's gonna blame the fans/audience for the crunch time/overwork of those animators.

"If you'd have just shut up and accepted the design, none of this would have happened!"

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

"If you'd have just shut up and accepted the design, none of this would have happened!"

It'd technically be true.

How unfortunate that people might think that counts.

4 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Can't wait for the inevitable comment that's gonna blame the fans/audience for the crunch time/overwork of those animators.

Probably already happening.

The animators themselves more than likely blame the execs. I imagine many of them are young adults who grew up when Sonic was the hiz-haps and probably knew this was going to be garbage. But they probably didn't expect the big-wigs to bend, though. Most things get released with fugly designs.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It'd technically be true.

I know, right? We're all a bunch of ungrateful manbabies that we didn't want the first ever Sonic movie to be vomit inducing nightmare fuel.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not gonna lie, I was beyond abit emotional with my last post. But my point still stands, this should've NEVER got this far  and to be fair I did state that who ever idea it was to make that turd of a design needs to lose his job. I also did say it needs to be delayed hardcore cause this is just ... look there's no other word for it but stupid. They dont get a pass cause they worked hard. I'm sure Rise of lyric workers worked hard. I'm sure Sega making 06 shadow, and forces worked hard. Doesnt mean we take that crap. This should've been burned MONTHS ago. They knew this design was trash, they knew about the backlash. Sega... delay this crap, get it away from paramount. Just use the stuff from sonic unleashed and make an animated fully movie. Pull a SE,only make it good. Seriously. Stop making stupid choices with your IP. PLEEEASE!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Before some people start patting themselves on the back about the redesign. Please refer to this.

• Thumbs Up 5

6 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Oh geez. That statement really is working. Now people are making videos about it. Angry Joe just put out a video titled "WE DID IT! Sonic Movie Will be Fixed! -Epic Win!"

Like... maybe slow down.

Maybe think about this a bit more before jumping the gun on believing that "Mister Live-Action Sonic Movie Director" is not only telling the truth but is going to initiate changes that'll satisfy what people want. 

Joe literally says "celebrate" and "now that Sonic looks like Sonic."

Nothing's happened yet. Seriously.

That's cause people are passing around fan edits so much and m knowing AJ he has not researched anything fully

I'd be half tempted to make a video discussing this, of my own, but I'm not exactly a swiggitty-swaggity-McPopular Youtuber with my declining 3K subs who usually does SFM animations.

But at the same time, don't really care about the movie, anyway.

• Absolutely 1

Never in my life I thought Sonic will get this much attention world-wide.

But I suspected that if it happened, it would be because of a bad thing, NGL :V

Not even Mania got this much attention. Well, we human beings are always muuuuch more interested in talking bad then good at something or other people, it's part of our nature, what can we do?

Also:

D5l3_92XsBUgXGN?format=jpg&name=900x900

This! This looks good!!!! Goddamnit.

Why can't we have this?

• Thumbs Up 5

21 minutes ago, Jango said:

Also:

D5l3_92XsBUgXGN?format=jpg&name=900x900

Yes, I'd like to have this as well. Of course I'm not sure if they'll go this far though. But who knows, after seeing the positive reception of Detective Pikachu's style they just might.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 months of its just fans complaining it'll be fine to 2 days of the general public complaining and oh shit we need to fix it.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

20 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

5 months of its just fans complaining it'll be fine to 2 days of the general public complaining and oh shit we need to fix it.

Obviously the 'general public' was the real target audience all along, the Sonic fanbase was negligible to them.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Obviously the 'general public' was the real target audience all along, the Sonic fanbase was negligible to them.

Reddit and Youtube exploded with Sonic content in the mainstream subreddits and youtube channels! There's popular movie reviewers that did videos about that trailer! Stephen Colbert did a skit about it in his late night show!

Never expected this.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Stephen Colbert did a skit about it in his late night show!

Wait wh-

omg

• Chuckle 2

40 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

I remember mostly everybody complained ever since the silhouette and the legs poster... Not just Sonic fans. The producers of the movie are stubborn.

Here's a question... Is the movie still gonna be PG13? I don't remember hearing they changed that.

19 minutes ago, Jango said:

I remember mostly everybody complained ever since the silhouette and the legs poster... Not just Sonic fans. The producers of the movie are stubborn.

"Am I out of touch? No, it's the audience who are wrong."

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 6

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Yup.

Hoo boy.

Welp. Guess that means we’ll see little if any changes to Sonic’s design. =| The director’s comment seems to be working though since everybody is straight away thinking they’ll make real drastic changes! 

I would expect it’s the backlash on social media and YouTube that’s done it.