Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

1 minute ago, DCFCSonic20 said:

Calling the film a black sheep so early is just plain laughable.

I mean, what else is there to call it? It's such a radical departure from everything anyone ever knew about the character or the series.

6 minutes ago, DCFCSonic20 said:

06 actually had potential to be good and the game was rushed to release for its deadline. And was the worst thing in the franchise as a result.

Eh, even if the game wasn't a bug ridden mess that has loading screens interrupted by a few stages and cutscenes, that wouldn't have changed:
- Realistic humans next to Sonic characters are just off putting and bizarre
- Stage designs were pretty lame
- Super bland hub worlds
- Story was a convoluted mess

Other games were doomed from the start like Forces for example. 

Why was it doomed from the start? I can imagine ways I actually would have liked that game.

Calling the film a black sheep so early is just plain laughable.

Well it's definitely not proving anybody wrong at this stage.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

It apparently went up to 22.5 according to Wikipedia.

Still too low when other movies make that amount per day!

1 minute ago, Tarnish said:

Why was it doomed from the start? I could imagene ways I actually would have liked that game.

The concept of bring classic Sonic back as marketing strategy and not having him have any plot importance in the first place was really dumb. 

The premise was decent, but with Graff and Pontac writing it. It was destined to be cheese-ofied.

1 minute ago, DCFCSonic20 said:

The premise was decent, but with Graff and Pontac writing it. It was destined to be cheese-ofied. 

Old school anime translations...at worst.

And at their worst.

8 minutes ago, DCFCSonic20 said:

The concept of bring classic Sonic back as marketing strategy and not having him have any plot importance in the first place was really dumb. 

To be honest, any Sonic game with the boost formula is doomed in my eyes.

Boost + Sonic Team's Broken 2D PhysicsTM is a sure way to make  me lose all interest in a game.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, from what we seen there is 85% chance there is no Tails, Knuckles, etc in this movie (or maybe they'll have 5 minute cameo). Which obviously sucks when Detective Pikachu will have dozens of his  mates.

BUT!!! If I was in charge and was allowed to pick one character with say 8 minutes of screen time, I know who I would put.

Spoiler

image.png.cd9a875479cd9ae387beee5ef50b5564.png Imagine movie-graphics Big sitting in someones living room and trying to fish froggy out of aquarium.

Honestly, that could potentially make the whole movie worth it.

To my knowledge they really want to establish Movie Sonic as its own pillar alongside Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic. I don't imagine we'll see anyone but Sonic and Robotnik for this because gotta sequel bait somehow.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

You know, from what we seen there is 85% chance there is no Tails, Knuckles, etc in this movie (or maybe they'll have 5 minute cameo).

If this is an origin story, doesn't that mean Sonic hasn't even met them yet?

Dunno why I assume this movie is trying to follow the game logics...

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

If this is an origin story, doesn't that mean Sonic hasn't even met them yet?

Dunno why I assume this movie is trying to follow the game logics...

Sonic has lived on Earth his whole life, so no.

1 minute ago, Razule said:

Sonic has lived on Earth his whole life, so no.

Lives on Earth his whole life hiding, only one with the knowledge of a threat to the planet that only he can save...okay.

13 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

To my knowledge they really want to establish Movie Sonic as its own pillar alongside Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic.

Where'd you get this from?

And...why would they want to do that?

Just now, DreamSaturn said:

http://www.tssznews.com/2019/03/04/live-action-sonic-film-design-revealed/

The why is simple - because this was a big investment for them and they'd like to see as many returns as possible.

It's not a big investment for SEGA though, is it? They licensed the use of Sonic in a Paramount-produced film. SEGA didn't invest in this — they got paid to let someone make it.

"Classic Sonic, Modern Sonic, Film Sonic, Animation Sonic "

Oh, they're looking to cause yet another dividing faction...apparently.

As if there just wasn't enough problems with Sonic boy already.

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally like this concept art for a redesign... no idea where the image is sourced from, it was a thumbnail for a youtube video.

20190503_173749.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I always hated the "We need a separate version for this, another one for that, etc." approach. No real need for it.

It actually gets in the way of character development in a way. Since 'classic Sonic' is now not his younger self, but an alternate dimension version..he didn't evolve from one stage to the other if all of them can just co-exist now.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/1/2019 at 5:48 PM, KHCast said:

This argument when applied to Sonic though is pretty weak and based on a guess, not a definite proof. Sure I can see the point made with “progressive” films, bigots and assholes are gonna in mass attack them, I get that, however the Sonic film isn’t from the look of it, looking to be “progressive” in any way. It just looks bad.  bringing it up in the first place just feels pointless since the two situations aren’t really comparable outside someone trying to use the ghostbusters film as a reason people MIGHT in mass be troll hating the movie 

Are people seriously hating on this movie because it's "progressive?" 🤦‍♂️

On 5/1/2019 at 6:01 PM, Tornado said:

Paramount isn't spending the stupid money Sony spent on that movie, but 90 million is a lot more money then the developers of Goat Simulator had.

What in the world? 

On 5/1/2019 at 6:30 PM, CaptainRobo said:

Posting the list of movies that are releasing this November. 

November 1 

Arctic Justice: Thunder Squad
Motherless Brooklyn
Terminator: Dark Fate (Directed by Tim Miller who is the executive producer of the Sonic movie)

November 8 (Friday)

Doctor Sleep
Last Christmas
Midway
Sonic The Hedgehog

November 15 

Charlie's Angels
Ford v. Ferrari
The Good Liar

November 22 

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Frozen 2
Playmobil: The Movie
Rhythm Section

November 27 

Knives Out
Queen & Slim

Wow, you are from Australia? I always thought you are from Greece?  Damn, that sucks, that your country is getting the movie a little late. Anyway, I'm glad and happy that you like the movie. I'm also excited for the movie as well. Good luck trying to achieve that. I hope you can do this. Traveling can be risky and expensive.

If anybody is curious, here are all the release dates for all of the countries so far. Singapore is added to the list.:

Reveal hidden contents
Portugal 7 November 2019  
Russia 7 November 2019  
Singapore 7 November 2019  
Slovakia 7 November 2019  
Canada 8 November 2019  
Turkey 8 November 2019  
USA 8 November 2019  
Brazil 14 November 2019  
Bulgaria 15 November 2019  
Mexico 15 November 2019  
Romania 15 November 2019  
Denmark 21 November 2019  
Italy 21 November 2019  
Sweden 22 November 2019  
Australia 28 November 2019  
Hong Kong 28 November 2019  
Israel 28 November 2019  
Norway 29 November 2019  
Belgium 17 December 2019  
Germany 19 December 2019  
UK 26 December 2019  
Spain 27 December 2019  
Hungary 2 January 2020  
Netherlands 30 January 2020  
France 5 February 2020  
Ireland 13 March 2020  
Japan 23 May 2020  
New Zealand 10 July 2020

I have no idea what over half of those things are.

But yeah, Frozen 2 may or may not be a contending problema.

On 5/1/2019 at 8:11 PM, CaptainRobo said:
Uh oh, this doesn't sound good.

Here is the Sonic fan film director's reaction to the trailer. He also hate it.:

Looks [even more] like another story about the movie business besmirching things.

On 5/1/2019 at 8:24 PM, Sonic Fan J said:

Super strength doesn't require being turned on,

It's a sympathetic reflex.

On 5/1/2019 at 8:49 PM, Skull Leader said:

Perhaps movie makers should focus more on telling a story rather than pushing for diversity, which as a non-white Mexican, is an aspect that I could not care any less about... Unless this is something Hollywood does touse as human shields knowing very well who will be the first in line to defend their mediocre films.

And no, TLJ was terrible because it's director was more focused on subverting expectations than on telling a story and building up on what JJ had established to the point that Episode IX is going to be damage control.

And just like there are people who gives flak to movies for being diverse, there are also equally dumb people who think that honest criticism equals bigotry against said diversity, which is why I detest both sides equally since the rest of the majority of sane, functionalpeople get trapped in the cross-fire of two very loud minorities.

...Huh.

0KNNwQZ.jpg

• Absolutely 1

12 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I mean it's not like a ton of other properties don't also do this. 

There's like at least six completely different Transformers continuities, to say nothing of how drastically different some Comic book movies and shows can be from the Comics that inspired them or hell just look at Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. 

On 5/1/2019 at 9:42 PM, Blueknight V2.0 said:

So I made this post on Twitter. Well I wasn't going to post it here, but to give a better idea I will.

I just showed someone (who's not exactly a big Sonic fan like I am) the Sonic film trailer. Basically they said that. it doesn't look too bad, Sonic's legs look weird and looks better than R&C (this case, never played an R&C game). Huh? What?

Now I'm Not complaining about if someone likes or dislikes the Sonic Movie based on the trailer. But it's apparent this film "may" be pointed at newcomers rather than long time fans.

Well, yeah, essentially.

On 5/1/2019 at 11:22 PM, Mark_The_Dephiles said:

Actually the teeth didn't look as bad to me when you see the video actually in motion but yeah I definitely would have preferred sharp SA1 teeth to Ken Penders esc human teeth.  Also, they probably should have given him gloves.

Yeah, the teeth actually doesn't bother me. But the design overally is generally a mess.

On 5/2/2019 at 12:06 AM, Shadowlax said:

I believe the idea is that the kid character, is sonic. The character the children are supposed to identify with is sonic, he will be a wiley rascal trying to help occasionally messing things up and basically be the weird grimlin baby of the cop character. The cop character is supposed to be the ones that the adults taking their children to see the movie is supposed to identify with. Considering this is the first film ( and hopefully the only film ) in this series and it primary takes place in the human world they problably aren't gonna introduce a concept so crazy that you need a stand in character for the kids. And the adults in this scenario are assumed to be cognizant enough to get " he cam from another world, ring portal, eggman bad sonic fast " not only are they relying on adults being able to get fairly simple plot points but folks nostalgic for sonic stuff is also an audience they are aiming for so they also have a character to identify with . Going so far as to put an actor who played a sonic character in a cartoon apparently, in the movie and that probably wont be the only one. I suspect a jaleel white cameo.

Now i'm not saying this is good or bad. Personally I find this film to be the most bizarre thing I have seen in quite sometime. At least the trailer. So many failures had to occur for it to look as bad as it does, and it looks so bad. 

But there is semblance of logic of what they were trying to do, its just done poorly and probably didn't need to be done at all

That is more or less how it seems.

On 5/2/2019 at 12:21 AM, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I agree with that statement actually. However it isn't that Sonic doesn't sell to kids, it is that Sonic doesn't sell to kids nearly as much as it used to out of not being a super popular modern freshly made franchise like it used to be. Sonic appeals more to teens and young adults these days, which is not a strange result from certain older franchises as their fan-bases got older and something about them failing to connect to new audiences. Sonic is still a greatly well known series with a big fan-base... but I'm not convinced much of the fan-base are kids anymore. Anyways that is just my opinion/theory on it.

Misguided or not I can understand and see why the movie team thought targeting older people was a good idea as many people who grew up with Sonic in the 90s and early 2000s are adults now and might make up for the bulk of the people who'll go see the movie... However either way they did not do a good job at what they were trying to do... Even if they were actually aiming this movie at adults... the thing is that means keeping Sonic true to his game-self and that fantasy world they grew up with is even more important for adults who have far more premade expectations then certain kids who never seen Sonic before. And on the other side of the coin kids also would probably enjoy something more wacky, cute and cartoony instead of what this movie is going for.

What does that say about the games between 06 and Forces?

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

I mean it's not like a ton of other properties don't also do this.

What works for somethings doesn't work for others...or even just the same way.

On 5/2/2019 at 1:02 AM, DreamSaturn said:

I'm honestly reeling from what a spectacularly awful idea Tom is. That's 100% true @Blacklightning, he's a middle aged cop with a tranquilizer, that's...dare I say a bit too niche for anyone to really identify with? Unless he's supposed to be a stand-in for the disinterested parents who are taking their kids to this. In which case, maybe in a few months we'll see videos called "The Secret Genius of Tom the Cop" and calling for him to be brought into the games.

tumblr_inline_ngcsf6UBZG1r8z4qq.gif.518c41141736c961d2654f95431b50fa.gif

Honestly, it kinda had to be that way.

In fact, I specifically remember people here questioning why Tom wasn't a member of GUN or whatever the military is.

On 5/2/2019 at 4:05 AM, Tarnish said:

These days I feel the "supporting/paying for only quality stuff" sentiment could join the likes off the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus. In other words, things that just don't exist.

In this day and age, I'm starting to believe if a game/movie commercially fails, it's purely because not enough people knew about it, not because of their quality. If you market the hell out of even the biggest piece of shit, you'll make money. People will give money for it just out of curiosity, to cover how bad it is or just for the lolz.

Technically speaking, it is true that one knowing about a product increases the possibility that they might decide whether to consume it.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:25 AM, BaronGrackle said:

I still have a few pages to read on this thread, but has anyone brought up that Robotnik/Eggman wasn't always fat, and at one point Sonic did get his speed from a lightning experiment? Ovi Kintobar.

200?cb=20090417200204

Yes, I believe so.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:34 AM, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I think many Sonic fans are aware of that western origins story comic. But also that comic isn't canon to the rest of the series and never was. So there isn't much reason for anybody to point it out.

Except to point out that it's not a new idea.

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Hmmm, the Eiffel Tower seen in one of the posters interested me. There was a girl named Emma Oliver, who is playing Parisian Little Girl. I wonder if the movie will take place in Paris for a bit?:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3794354/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_wr#writers/

sonic_the_hedgehog_ver5_xlg.jpg

I think the movie will end in San Fransisco. Sonic will get his ring back, and while fighting Robotnik, warp himself to several different locations. (The desert, france, while he warps Marsden & Sumpter to a farm somewhere) It will be a crazy scene with Sonic warping across the world in seconds.

To those who were talking so much about downvotes and dislikes, I'd just like to say thank you.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:51 AM, PeterPancake said:

Should have went with this

The top right looks like something out of Sonic Super Special.

On 5/2/2019 at 1:30 PM, BaronGrackle said:

So I was thinking about Gangsta's Paradise, and I realized something.This movie should have been a 1990s period piece. IF THEY WANTED the film's tone to be set by Sonic pressing play on a boombox and starting a song from 1995, then this film should have happened then.

It would've been like watching the X-Men prequels (60s, 70s, then 80s), or Captain Marvel (90s), or even Guardians of the Galaxy (80s soundtrack, in-universe).

The bullying military would have fit. The "origins" nature of showing pre-Eggman and early Sonic (and the word Genesis) would have fit. We would be watching for MTV or a Toys R Us in the background. Sonic could have thrown out a Super Nintendo as a joke. The very end could've played It Doesn't Matter or Open Your Heart.

But, since this ISN'T a 90s period piece... then Gangsta's Paradise on a boombox was likely a bad choice.

And the opportunity gets bigger. 

On 5/2/2019 at 2:46 PM, ShadowSJG said:

Urgh, why the f*ck does tom even exist? Why not just a Sonic movie!

Also, here is naoto ooshima's thoughts:

Why is it live action?

On 5/2/2019 at 3:37 PM, TheOcelot said:

I feel so sorry for Ohshima-san. A Sonic design for a movie should never make the original creator feel like this:

I apologize if this verges on ignorant territory, but what kind of haiku is that second sentence?

On 5/2/2019 at 4:57 PM, MadmanRB said:

Eh Carrey can be a good actor, my second favourite movie is the Truman show where he gives a great performance.

Wait, that's a movie?

On 5/2/2019 at 5:46 PM, CaptainRobo said:

Not the first time that they listen.:

Oh, well would you look at that.

On 5/2/2019 at 6:08 PM, Pawn said:

Adapting Ash and chums or a more traditional Pokemon story in general might have been a challenge, but they didn't need to, since Detective Pikachu had come along and given them a solid narrative to work with. Sonic was never going to get the same treatment. Very few IPs would.

This right here is another, very important point and it is a good one.

Smart. :smile:

On 5/2/2019 at 6:10 PM, Eurisko said:

Jeff Fowler has confirmed they are changing the design of Sonic , at least they have listened. I’m guessing this is why Aaron missed the livestream 

794665E0-D183-419C-ABB4-DA81710E5547.png

Yeah, I saw that yesterday.

Hey, if some many things about the plot ended up being true, why can't the notion of them editting the design?

On 5/2/2019 at 6:13 PM, Fire-N-Space said:

They should call this movie Eggman the Human he's funnier and better looking then Sonic.    

Isn't at least one of those things often the case half the time?

On 5/2/2019 at 6:23 PM, UpCDownCLeftCRightC said:

The design looked weird to me for sure but I'm struggling to see how they can improve it to meet fan demand in this short of time. Theyve already marketed the movie and character in this way, they cant just swap in a fuzzy modern sonic model now. I dont know how much fixing Sonic's eyes and legs are going to make a difference for people that are already this appalled by it.

Yeah, that's generally a huddle they'd inevitably have to oil up to jump through.

On 5/2/2019 at 6:25 PM, Sonic Warrior said:

I love Jeff's answer to criticism and this is how professionals should act. I'm glad he's not Josh trank, lol.

That being said, it seems he has had feedback for a long time. So, I'm sure this first trailer is showing a old version / draft. The next trailer might show a better design and everyone will say he fixed it after this trailer. Nope, he probably fixed way before the first trailer. 

One would hope. For everyone's sake.

On 5/2/2019 at 7:18 PM, Razule said:

How could this design have gone so far without test audiences saying something.. or maybe they did, and it was actually varying levels of worse before?

On 5/2/2019 at 8:23 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

This bullshit comes out in November. If the animators are forced to crunch their time on re-working his design before it comes out then they're all going to age 50 years in the span of a few months.

And he might even look worse. We see him again, he'll be melting.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:26 PM, Sean said:

If only this were Japan. One surefire way of getting the animators to redesign Sonic in time would be to indict whoever did the mocap for him on cocaine charges.

...Is that a reference to something?

On 5/2/2019 at 8:39 PM, Miragnarok said:

Maybe the design fix really is just PR? Ya know like how Ian Flynn had a #KnowingSmile for Forces when it was wholly Japanese-penned. 

To be fair, he did have a go at beta-Colors and at least saw different scripts for Unleashed.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:49 PM, Myst said:

He did the tie-in comic for the game, so he wasn't lying.

That too.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:40 PM, Jango said:

You know...

They could fix it by... cancelling the movie.

👀

Okay, I was actually in the process of wondering about this: what would happen if SEGA were to considering pulling the license?

On 5/2/2019 at 8:58 PM, Mayor D said:

Oooh-hohoho-nooo...! :joy:

Thats about on part with something like that ET bootleg Cinema Snob reviewed.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:15 PM, Polkadi~♪ said:

It can NOT be a coincidence that the “Sponsored products RELATED to this item” section shows primarily scary horror masks.

And real talk, that’s even MORE horrifying than the movie design.

Even Amazon doesn't have any problem with restraint.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:49 PM, PeterPancake said:

So what are they gonna do about merchandising having a different design if it's changed?

Nothing.

There's a number of things out there that aren't quite what their merchandise and promotional materials depict.

On 5/2/2019 at 10:26 PM, CaptainRobo said:

Probably accurate of what is happening right now.:

No joke, I thought about this a couple days ago.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:22 PM, DreamSaturn said:

What really boggles my mind is how Sega is super strict with Sonic on all other media, especially the comics: Sonic can't cry, Sonic can't lose, we can't see anyone's family, no romantic relationships whatsoever,  all that shit. So the million dollar question is, where the hell where they for this movie? Did the contracts demand they just fuck off?

I'm curious about that as well.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:27 PM, tailsBOOM! said:

From what I understand, once you sign off the rights like this, you don't get much say.  That's the reason why (Not using this example for the normal reason it is) that Marvel had little say on the Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic 4 movies. It's unfortunate, and you can see some sense of distaste in his creators and SEGA bigwigs. 

Oh really? That makes a surprising amount of sense.

53 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Okay, I was actually in the process of wondering about this: what would happen if SEGA were to considering pulling the license?

They can't, contract.

• Thumbs Up 1