Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Honestly none of the fan edits look much better except the ones that just straight up use the game design.

Giving my full thoughts on the Sonic Movie trailer and all the aspects about it, both what I like and dislike. I spoke on it through text earlier, but this has more input.

• Thumbs Up 1

Found an good example of an design change. The left is the original one, and the other one is the final one. Notice the differences between the King Kong's faces seen on both posters.:

iuI7mpe.jpg

53 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

Honestly none of the fan edits look much better except the ones that just straight up use the game design.

Yeah, cyclops Sonic with mostly the same appearance would probably look even worse.

37 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Found an good example of an design change. The left is the original one, and the other one is the final one. Notice the differences between the King Kong's faces seen on both posters.:

iuI7mpe.jpg

To be fair, aside from being a really, really big ape, King Kong's design isn't that important. If he's just a big ass ape, well... there you go. Good design. Him having a tooth sticking out isn't really that noteworthy. You'd have to try to screw that up.

Sonic is a different case, there's a lot of things noteworthy about his design, ranging from his color scheme to his shoes. There's a lot less freedom to go with than King Kong -- this isn't to say King Kong isn't iconic by any stretch, he is. Definitely. But his design isn't as important as the novelty of him.

Certainly, in both cases, there's a boundaries. King Kong wearing clothing wouldn't go well. King Kong being purple wouldn't either.

I suppose you can say there's an argument to be made about minimalist changes working well -- and I'd ultimately agree. Green eyes and blue arms are examples of this. Sure, there's this weird shitstorm that starts off, but they faded out. Besides Buffles, who really cares anymore?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well guys Canadian Guy Eh in about the last 15-minutes or so of CGE's livestream tonight. He gave a more detailed insight about the amount of crunch time that would happen for this film to match the release date. So I'm hoping it does get delayed by a few months, just to avoid crunch time alone that the animators would go through because the design was the way it was.

Ah, then whether they actually make significant changes to his design or not, the merchandise will still be off from what's in the movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Apparently, the Detective Pikachu movie's Director of Photography was offered a job for the Sonic movie, which he probably turn down the job. He was glad that Pikachu doesn't look like Sonic. Can't blame him for that.

• Chuckle 1

I'm with Jim on this tbh. It just seems a bit much to give paramount that much credit when considering the factors like the posters and such.

• Thumbs Up 7

Well, it seems the understanding is that some amount of people actually believed that.

Isn't that just the darnedest thing, all this time one would come to think that was a joke.

Sad days.

9 hours ago, Myst said:

I think the movie will end in San Fransisco. Sonic will get his ring back, and while fighting Robotnik, warp himself to several different locations. (The desert, france, while he warps Marsden & Sumpter to a farm somewhere) It will be a crazy scene with Sonic warping across the world in seconds.

I'm in agreement with this, and that's actually what the Eiffel Tower poster is directly implying, since it's seen through a warp ring in the poster in question.  I imagine the grand finale of the film will be a warpfest as much as a speedfest.

This gets me wondering about something.  Why on Earth, in the trailer, does Sonic think he needs to save the world?  Maybe Robotnik gets his hands on the warp ring, and Sonic fears its power in the wrong hands?  I'm also going to propose that Sonic's super-speed feats are actually in part to power up the warp ring - giving him a motivation from the start of the film, and explaining why he didn't just warp back to his home planet before.

...Thinking about it, warping kind of defeats the point of super-speed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, CaptainRobo said:

Apparently, the Detective Pikachu movie's Director of Photography was offered a job for the Sonic movie, which he probably turn down the job. He was glad that Pikachu doesn't look like Sonic. Can't blame him for that.

Sonic's fast..but not fast enough to dodge burns like that.

(Hell, he can't even dodge a tranquillizer dart..)

• Too Many Rings 2

If changed to Sonic's design are significant then there is no way the movie will be released this year. 

1 hour ago, Alexios31 said:

If changed to Sonic's design are significant then there is no way the movie will be released this year. 

If the changes are significant, then yes, most definitely it will be delayed. But I think Paramount wants to keep that November slot, as Paramount wants kids to be asking their parents for Sonic movie toys and other merch for the Christmas season. The movie will likely get a marketing blitz on Nickelodeon.

I'm concerned the staff might spend too much time reworking Sonic and other effects will end up looking bad because of it. This is going to be an effects-heavy movie, especially during the climax of the film, and I want all of the robots, explosions, and other visual effects to look their best. 

To be frank, I think their first mistake was using mocap for Sonic. It's obviously the root cause of nearly all of the design problems here. They used the mocap WAY too heavily as a crutch.

On 5/3/2019 at 4:23 AM, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

I saw this and I bursted out laughing. :lol:

D5heR_EWkAAgu9r.png

Sorry if this was posted, but I just realized: they were going for the Sonic CD model!

hqdefault.jpg

• Chuckle 4

1 minute ago, Mega said:

To be frank, I think their first mistake was using mocap for Sonic. It's obviously the root cause of nearly all of the design problems here. They used the mocap WAY too heavily as a crutch.

Well, most movies like this don't use keyframe animation anymore. Mocap has taken the industry by storm

What about studios like Pixar and Dreamworks? I'm p. sure those don't rely on mocap.

At the very least, Paramount should've stylized more instead of trying to keep Sonic as creepily human as possible.

1 minute ago, Mega said:

What about studios like Pixar and Dreamworks? I'm p. sure those don't rely on mocap.

At the very least, Paramount should've stylized more instead of trying to keep Sonic as creepily human as possible.

Not sure about animated features but I know every major live action studio film uses motion capture for humanoid characters.

The face being the way it is so Schwartz could perform as Sonic

But that's the problem. Sonic is a very cartoony, stylized character. His proportions, his face, everything is distinctly different. And while I get that they were trying to go for a "realistic" approach, the end result looks like a tiny human in a costume.

And maybe they shouldn't have kept the face that way? They could still use his voice, but it's obvious the mo-cap face being left so close to a human structure did NOT end well.

Hell, I'm pretty sure detective pikachu used some mocap, and his face looks infinitely more stylized and likable.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think they could have definitely went for something more stylized/carcaturized if they really wanted to (see my avatar). Reynolds does do mocap for Pikachu. But Miller was dead set on realism, he specifically didn't want him looking like a Pixar character... And well, now he has to pay the consequences. 

• Thumbs Up 2

54 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

I think they could have definitely went for something more stylized/carcaturized if they really wanted to (see my avatar). Reynolds does do mocap for Pikachu. But Miller was dead set on realism, he specifically didn't want him looking like a Pixar character... And well, now he has to pay the consequences. 

The difference is that Reynolds' lip-syncing is being transferred to a character that already was designed over two decades ago.  Both his motions and the design were taken into consideration.  And incidentally, even in 2D animation, it isn't rare for them to film the actors talking and draw the characters' mouths moving the same way, but they still have a unique design.

Sonic's mouth in those shed scenes doesn't even look motion captured and transferred to a model.  It looks like they rendered the model without a mouth and spliced in footage of a human mouth talking; all the more so because there even seem to be hints of a mustache.

• Thumbs Up 1