Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

23 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

That would be ideal, but that will only get us so far. There are still plenty of kids (and adults!) who will eat up anything with Sonic's face on it regardless of actual quality, and this movie will still have defenders 15 years from now, and probably plenty of young adults and teenagers who are kids now that will look back fondly on it as "their" Sonic.

I mean.. it's just one movie. How much of an effect could it have?

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

Many youtubers are satisfied with the director's decision to change the design.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

Ideally, next to none. But we don't live in an ideal world, so we'll see just how much this blows up in Sega's face.

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

No more movies for Sonic!

Goodbye, Sonic the hedgehog movies...Forever.

6 hours ago, Myst said:

If the changes are significant, then yes, most definitely it will be delayed. But I think Paramount wants to keep that November slot, as Paramount wants kids to be asking their parents for Sonic movie toys and other merch for the Christmas season. The movie will likely get a marketing blitz on Nickelodeon.

I'm concerned the staff might spend too much time reworking Sonic and other effects will end up looking bad because of it. This is going to be an effects-heavy movie, especially during the climax of the film, and I want all of the robots, explosions, and other visual effects to look their best. 

There won't be any toys if the design to Sonic is significant. 

48 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Unfortunately, this is very true. If this thing bombs, what studio head in their right mind would EVER want to touch this property ever again?

For example, 25 years and two reboots later, and we still haven't had a proper Mr. Freeze in a Batman film, thanks to Arnold's butchering of the character in 1997. 

The thing that will make or break this movie is its resonance with kids. This movie is not for us. It is for the Alvin/Smurfs crowd. This thing is created so that kids will drag their parents to this and beg them for Sonic toys for Christmas.

Even if this film is the biggest pile of garbage ever made, it MIGHT get a sequel as long as it makes money with kids. 

• Thumbs Up 3

47 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I really hope this doesn't happen.

7 minutes ago, Myst said:

Unfortunately, this is very true. If this thing bombs, what studio head in their right mind would EVER want to touch this property ever again?

For example, 25 years and two reboots later, and we still haven't had a proper Mr. Freeze in a Batman film, thanks to Arnold's butchering of the character in 1997. 

What about the Tomb Raider movies? The first ones were pretty bad, but that didn't stop more from being made.

• Fist Bump 1

That isnt the reason we have not had a Mr Freeze. There is just no need for him in any of the current films plots. Sonic has not went away after nearly 27 years. This movie is far from the thing that will kill him. At most it will just give youtuber personalities some free views for several months.  That would need to literally do something like make sonic a battle royal shooter with dirtbikes before anything.

1 minute ago, Splash the Otter said:

I really hope this doesn't happen.

What about the Tomb Raider movies? The first ones were pretty bad, but that didn't stop more from being made.

I hope it doesn't happen, either. I want this to be good. I want it to get sequels. I want a CGI reboot somewhere down the line.

Thing with Tomb Raider is, The internet wasn't loudly kicking and screaming over those two movies. I never saw them myself, but I got the idea that they did somewhat well in the box office when they were first released.

All the negative to the sonic movie reminds me of TTG Movie. And how when it was first announced older fans were flipping in their chair wishing the show would die off and how it would flop. The movie came out and did much better than anyone thought myself included. I see sonic doing the same most likely. But I guarantee they set up the ending as a cliffhanger for a sequel.

15 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

There is just no need for him in any of the current films plots.

That's soooo basic.

Obviously it must be true.

29 minutes ago, Myst said:

That sounds like a lot, but put another way we've had 3 Batman films and 3? films that Batman is a part of.

not sure how its basic. Its just true. Explain to me where he would fit into jokers film. Where the main plot to show how twisted the joker was in corrupting a friend of bruce into two face so the film focused on them. Same for the Bane movie brining in catwomen and showing that people can be turned if given the means. Any movie you make you do not want to bloat it without a good set up. You start small and go from their. Just imagine civil war if it were the first marvel film. or even the first avengers. Just here are all these characters go with it. No you slowly add more to films to give time for people to understand them. Not just drop in any random person. If this was true hell they should have put in killer croc to tag team with Bane.

4 hours ago, FFWF said:

You've correctly understood the point of the film, but not the point of the objections.  The major criticism of the film among Sonic fans is that this very premise is flawed.  "Sonic" and "realistic" are mutually exclusive.  Even when Sega started throwing guns and realistic humans into the games, the one thing they knew better than to mess with was Sonic's design...

This is just a theory, but I think the difference between the Sonic movie and Detective Pikachu is like the difference between Sonic '06 and Mario Odyssey.  In Detective Pikachu and Mario Odyssey, the conflict between "realistic" and "cartoony" - Ryan Reynolds's voice in Pikachu's mouth, a more realistic city with realistically-proportioned humans - is the point and the joke, and the contrast is played up to highlight the differences.  The Sonic movie and Sonic '06, on the other hand, either try to erase the contrast or just don't see it, respectively.  The people who've been working on Sonic literally don't understand why Sonic works.

Well, Mario Odyssey also has a realistic fantasy world in there complete with a horrifying Dragon Boss, a realistic jungle world, and the mayor of the realistic city is cartoony (plus some other realistic worlds that have cartoony inhabitants). And again, emphasis on the “joke” part. Something like SMO or Sponge Out of Water played the contrast up as a form of humor. Something like Dumbo, on the other hand... 

Well, Detective Pikachu is good at striking a balance, rather than leaning on one direction and either ignoring the dissonance or playing it for comedy. 

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

Well, Mario Odyssey also has a realistic fantasy world in there complete with a horrifying Dragon Boss, a realistic jungle world, and the mayor of the realistic city is cartoony (plus some other realistic worlds that have cartoony inhabitants). And again, emphasis on the “joke” part. Something like SMO or Sponge Out of Water played the contrast up as a form of humor.

Feels like your confusing the idea that mass detail = realism...none of the worlds are realistic. Just the people from NDC.

1 hour ago, Alexios31 said:

There won't be any toys if the design to Sonic is significant. 

Trust me friend, there will be toys. That's one of the biggest things studios think about when they greenlight kids movies. That's why the underwhelming Cars flick got two sequels. Those lucrative merchandising tie-ins with toy companies and fast food joints is the bread and butter for movie studios to squeeze every last dime out of a film.

Pokemon's doing it right now and we already got a taste of what's coming with Sonic. The Baby plush (You just know the filmmakers were thinking 'TOYS!' when they incorporated a baby Sonic into the script) the official movie novelization on Amazon, the Robotnik figure listed on Toywiz, the Sonic figure listed on Toywiz, the Halloween costume by Rubies.

And that's just the start. There will probably be Sonic backpacks and lunchboxes, school supplies, t-shirts, posters, the soundtrack, a Happy Meal! 

This is Paramount's big Holiday release. If they wanted to bury it under the rug it would not be in that prime November release slot. It's there because Paramount wants lots of Sonic Movie merch sold during the Holiday season. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

This is pretty great. 

5 minutes ago, Myst said:

Trust me friend, there will be toys. That's one of the biggest things studios think about when they greenlight kids movies. That's why the underwhelming Cars flick got two sequels. Those lucrative merchandising tie-ins with toy companies and fast food joints is the bread and butter for movie studios to squeeze every last dime out of a film.

Pokemon's doing it right now and we already got a taste of what's coming with Sonic. The Baby plush (You just know the filmmakers were thinking 'TOYS!' when they incorporated a baby Sonic into the script) the official movie novelization on Amazon, the Robotnik figure listed on Toywiz, the Sonic figure listed on Toywiz, the Halloween costume by Rubies.

And that's just the start. There will probably be Sonic backpacks and lunchboxes, school supplies, t-shirts, posters, the soundtrack, a Happy Meal! 

This is Paramount's big Holiday release. If they wanted to bury it under the rug it would not be in that prime November release slot. It's there because Paramount wants lots of Sonic Movie merch sold during the Holiday season. 

I think what he means is that if the design change is drastically different, a lot of companies will have to recall their products

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

This is pretty great. 

I think what he means is that if the design change is drastically different, a lot of companies will have to recall their products

Honestly, I think they will likely just go ahead and release toys using the old design anyway. (They might update the artwork on the boxes of the toys to reflect the new design though) It's too late in the game and too costly for them to change the look of the toys and they ain't gonna recall them either. What's done is done.

5 minutes ago, Myst said:

Honestly, I think they will likely just go ahead and release toys using the old design anyway. (They might update the artwork on the boxes of the toys to reflect the new design though) It's too late in the game and too costly for them to change the look of the toys and they ain't gonna recall them either. What's done is done.

Investors won't be happy. Especially if the new design is much more appealing to kids. The same thing had to happen to Megatron when they changed his design. Hasbro had to change the toys and even then, some merchandise still has the old design. 

Also, all pre-rendered commercials and advertisements will have to be changed too. They all can't have a completely different look to what's in the movie. The shoes being changed will also change the deal they have with Puma considering the former are paying Paramount to have their product in the movie 

It still boggles the mind how they've known that people hate the design so much for months now and only now decide that something must be done. I guess the problem got so bad they couldn't just ignore it anymore? I can't see how they couldn't have known until the trailer dropped.

tumblr_inline_ngcsf6UBZG1r8z4qq.gif

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Investors won't be happy. Especially if the new design is much more appealing to kids. The same thing had to happen to Megatron when they changed his design. Hasbro had to change the toys and even then, some merchandise still has the old design. 

Also, all pre-rendered commercials and advertisements will have to be changed too. They all can't have a completely different look to what's in the movie. The shoes being changed will also change the deal they have with Puma considering the former are paying Paramount to have their product in the movie 

I hadn't considered commercials. They might make changes there. I don't think the shoes will change though. They look fine, IMO.

We're not going to get a complete redesign anyway. I really doubt they are going to start off from scratch. We don't know the extent of these 'changes' Jeff promised. They might just change the eyes and leave everything else untouched. They might just give him.apair of gloves. They might just make his arms the correct color. The changes will be minimal, imo.

Ok this might sound odd but hear me out. I gotta say if nothing else it is interesting to see somebody take on the idea of “What if Sonic was real and what would he look like as a real life anthro?”  I think that is something many Sonic fans have thought about at least once in their life even if the obvious answer to that question is that most anthro characters in general probably would not look greatly appealing if they were real, and it would be something we would have to get used over time.

Of course there is no question that a high budget movie shouldn’t ever had tried a clearly risky curious idea and make it happen. Before anybody gets confused… I am not remotely saying Sonic’s design is good on the movie… but I do think it is interesting to see artists try to portray him as a more realistic anthro instead of a cartoon design… I’ve seen enough anthro art of Sonic online already so the idea alone doesn’t upset me… even if I do not think such a idea should ever be done for a serious official product. Regardless no matter what I agree and prefer for Sonic to stay a cartoon and that I vastly prefer cartoon/anime styles in general.

8 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

It still boggles the mind how they've known that people hate the design so much for months now and only now decide that something must be done. I guess the problem got so bad they couldn't just ignore it anymore? I can't see how they couldn't have known until the trailer dropped.

tumblr_inline_ngcsf6UBZG1r8z4qq.gif

Some people are speculating that the trailer was trolling us with a fake design in order to garner lots of attention online, so they can promise a 'redesign' and win fans over with the 'real' look.

I doubt it myself, but that 'meow?' scene? Come on. That wasn't an accident. No sane individual looked at that and thought it looked okay and was something the fans would like.

And you gotta admit, this movie got a LOT more attention in the public eye than it would have gotten had Sonic simply looked accurate to the games. The memes are what shot that thing to #1 on trending.

1 minute ago, Myst said:

Some people are speculating that the trailer was trolling us with a fake design in order to garner lots of attention online, so they can promise a 'redesign' and win fans over with the 'real' look.

I doubt it myself, but that 'meow?' scene? Come on. That wasn't an accident. No sane individual looked at that and thought it looked okay and was something the fans would like.

Yeah, I'm doubting that "all just a stunt" theory myself, too. There's no way they would spend millions on the art, animation, promotional material and merchandise, all just for that to be an elaborate trick. That doesn't make sense.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Ok this might sound odd but hear me out. I gotta say if nothing else it is interesting to see somebody take on the idea of “What if Sonic was real and what would he look like as a real life anthro?”  I think that is something many Sonic fans have thought about at least once in their life even if the obvious answer to that question is that most anthro characters in general probably would not look greatly appealing if they were real, and it would be something we would have to get used over time.

Of course there is no question that a high budget movie shouldn’t ever had tried a clearly risky curious idea and make it happen. Before anybody gets confused… I am not remotely saying Sonic’s design is good on the movie… but I do think it is interesting to see artists try to portray him as a more realistic anthro instead of a cartoon design… I’ve seen enough anthro art of Sonic online already so the idea alone doesn’t upset me… even if I do not think such a idea should ever be done for a serious official product. Regardless no matter what I agree and prefer for Sonic to stay a cartoon and that I vastly prefer cartoon/anime styles in general.

Realistically speaking...Sonic would look exactly how he does in the games and that in itself would be weird and gross.

Maybe some people wouldn't care and think he looks cool or cute.