Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

There are a lot of holes that you're filling yourself, which is fine to be sure since the trailer should be stimulating your imagination, but I am curious how you draw that Eggman is out to conquer the world from that trailer? To me he is just painted as a wily antagonists while whatever Sonic needs to save the world from lurks in the back of mind at its mention and lack of any foreshadowing. I just can't personally connect Eggman to being the big bad in this film based on what the trailer showed me. I mean realistically, he was called in to save the day if you really think about it and is only an antagonist because the movie is about Sonic.

Maybe my problem is that I'm trying to look at the trailer detached from everything I already know and just on its own merits and that is why it seems so badly structured to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Not really the trailer is easy to put together. Sonic is now in our world. Trying to either get away from or stop whatever is now in our world. He can not control his speed and has been living on his own for some time. The worn shoe pile shows he is struggling to find anything to keep up with the wear of his speed on them. The cop is most likely in a new town and it is a rather boring job till sonic comes by. Sonics speed and energy are affecting the energy grid in the country from him speeding around *now this part is a bit confusing for now. One more trailer would help. Either sonics current speed is affecting the grid, or when he gets a new pair of shoes he starts to affect it but most likely the first thing* this leads to eggman being called in by the government to track down whatever is doing this. Eggman sends out the drones and they eventually find sonic *you see one at the end in a house* most likely finding sonic in the cops house and trying to attack him *you see bullet holes all around the house* eggman then finds one of his quills before leaving and sees the incredible energy just one contains. Sonic and the cop eventually find that girl. no idea who she is. cops gf? or just a friend? She learns of sonic also.

Granted I can not guess at everything so the mid point is fuzzy. Mostly them sneaking sonic into the building.

Cop goes awol with sonic and eggman tries to attack them. I see the climax coming with the sky scrapper attack with sonic most likely having more control on his speed. He will race eggman across the world through warp rings as he tries to capture sonic, the film will either end with eggman in sonics world continuing his mission to gain his power and conquer his world or him being stopped in the human world. Though I had another theory that eggman came from sonics world from the start years ago and just forgot him till he was called in by the government and is putting on an act as he wants him for himself and not going to hand him over.

that is what i pulled from the trailer. Again just my thoughts with lots missing of course till more trailers come out.

I heard from Reddit leaks that

WARNING! SPOILERS!

The last fight scene takes place in Green Hills. So Sonic, Marsden & Sumpter must think they have defeated Robotnik in San Fransisco and there's a premature happy ending in Green Hills until a battle-scarred Robotnik returns, storming the town in what the Reddit guy says is 'a giant robotic tank'

Reddit guy says all the townspeople join in the fight, taking out Robotnik's drones.

He didn't say how Robotnik is defeated or how Sonic returns home, just that a post credit scene shows a defeated Robotnik awaking on Sonic's planet.

I'm hoping that during the San Fransisco fight, Sonic electrocutes Eggman with his speed, causing his mustache to go crazy-big (maybe he is just wearing a wig throughout the movie and he's actually bald?) That way we get at least one fight with a proper looking Eggman in Green Hills.

Reddit guy also said no Tails or Knuckles, so RiffRaff is likely voicing an original character or maybe a robot.

He is actually voicing two characters. I wonder who are they? Maybe, he probably playing the owl that was rumored to be in, according to the Reddit leak. I don’t know what the other character that he will be playing. Maybe Tails or Knuckles? I don’t know.

Also, this is for the people who are concerned about the change.:

BTW, on an unrelated note, Yuji Naka just watched Detective Pikachu with his kids.:

Translation: I came to see the children and the movie, Detective Pikachu. The kids seemed to enjoy it, and I thought it would be nice to feel like this when watching a Sonic movie with a better movie than I thought.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Also, this is for the people who are concerned about the change.:

I'm only an animation graduate compared to them having some industry experience but that CAN happen under the right circumstances, but by no means is it guaranteed to be that simple.

It's why we see animation problems when people initially do character model swaps in something like Sonic Generations. 

Go to the results screen in that video and you'll see the character mesh in absolute pieces trying to work with the Sonic rig. Earlier parts work better because they've modified the animations to compensate. If Sonic's redesign changes the proportions of his body and limbs there's absolutely going to be additional clean-up work needed. It's why skins for Overwatch, Fortnite, or even Mario Odyssey don't mess with the core character model so the rights don't break.

Same goes for textures. You can rework textures on an existing model no problem but if you change the model, the texture is gonna be all out of alignment since the UV Map is still made with the previous model in mind. You don't necessarily need to make all the textures from scratch but you'd have to at the very least realign and scale appropriately. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Joy said:

If Sonic's redesign changes the proportions of his body and limbs there's absolutely going to be additional clean-up work needed. It's why skins for Overwatch, Fortnite, or even Mario Odyssey don't mess with the core character model so the rights don't break.

I doubt any changes will be made to the proportions, so he's gonna stay looking like a child in a furry costume, that I can almost guarantee.

33 minutes ago, Joy said:

If Sonic's redesign changes the proportions of his body and limbs

I highly doubt they will change his body except maybe giving his hands gloves at most. The most likely change will only be his face as that is what the main problem people have with it online.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Myst said:

Trust me friend, there will be toys. That's one of the biggest things studios think about when they greenlight kids movies. That's why the underwhelming Cars flick got two sequels. Those lucrative merchandising tie-ins with toy companies and fast food joints is the bread and butter for movie studios to squeeze every last dime out of a film.

Pokemon's doing it right now and we already got a taste of what's coming with Sonic. The Baby plush (You just know the filmmakers were thinking 'TOYS!' when they incorporated a baby Sonic into the script) the official movie novelization on Amazon, the Robotnik figure listed on Toywiz, the Sonic figure listed on Toywiz, the Halloween costume by Rubies.

And that's just the start. There will probably be Sonic backpacks and lunchboxes, school supplies, t-shirts, posters, the soundtrack, a Happy Meal! 

This is Paramount's big Holiday release. If they wanted to bury it under the rug it would not be in that prime November release slot. It's there because Paramount wants lots of Sonic Movie merch sold during the Holiday season. 

Oh I definitely understand that but I'm simply stating that if the re-design is significant then they can't release the toys with the old design....

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Alexios31 said:

Oh I definitely understand that but I'm simply stating that if the re-design is significant then they can't release the toys with the old design....

I hadn't thought of that, that's a hell of point. If they change his look and I mean REALLY alter it , there's a possibility of a toy manufacturer being super pissed.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

I don't get it. I just don't get it. How is every single decision involved with this movie either nonsensical, awkward or bad? I legitimately cannot think of a single thing about this movie that has not made me scratch my head or facepalm.

What the hell is going on?

1 minute ago, PeterPancake said:

Well if it's Knuckles, it would be fitting 

I suppose. And it is a small role.

This movie is making my head hurt.

I don't expect them to change the proportions of Sonic with this redesign. Perhaps they'll fix the eyes and the mouth. Change the color of the arms and add gloves if we're lucky. It'd honestly go a long way to making him look better.

I wonder if this RiffRaff fellow voices a robot drone of Robotnik's? Usually he has a comic relief character to talk to like CuBot or OrBot. Or maybe he has a computer system like JARVIS that he talks to?

4 hours ago, Alexios31 said:

Ah ok. They might update the packaging to reflect the new design and just release the toys unchanged. Or perhaps alter the paintjob on the toys slightly.

• Thumbs Up 1

It’s seem that the movie is getting more positive reactions in Russia than the rest of the world.:

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Well if it's Knuckles, it would be fitting 

why? for the memes?

Their excitement is meaningless because 1) we still don't know what their role is and 2) they can still suck.

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

why? for the memes?

Knuckles needs a stronger introduction for a film. Tails would need one too. This film obviously will not star Tails or Knuckles in this film. At least not as major roles. It will be an origin story that focuses on character development between Sonic and Tom. If they somehow pull off a miracle, and this movie ends up being good, Sonic 2 would hopefully be a completely animated feature that focuses on how Sonic and Tails first met. Sonic 3 & Knuckles should probably take the story that the game has itself. Echidna tribe, Knuckles and the master emerald, Robotnick fooling Knuckles into joining his side, etc.

If there's chaos and super emeralds in those sequels, I'd hope super sonic is shown.

And yeah, before you say it, that's [likely] not going to happen.

3 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

It’s seem that the movie is getting more positive reactions in Russia than the rest of the world.:

So, I've learned that the Sonic fan-base in Russia has a pretty different take on what Sonic ought to be. I had never really given it much thought until I interacted with a few of them on Twitter. Sonic 2006 is one of their favorite games.

I'm not sure why that is, maybe there's something culturally significant that I'm not aware of? It'd be an interesting case study. Not to paint them as wrong for that preference, but it's such a commonality that it's intriguing in itself. If there are any Russian Sonic fans on this forum, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Did Tim Miller ignore criticism?

Why do you say that?

2 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

So, I've learned that the Sonic fan-base in Russia has a pretty different take on what Sonic ought to be. I had never really given it much thought until I interacted with a few of them on Twitter. Sonic 2006 is one of their favorite games.

I'm not sure why that is, maybe there's something culturally significant that I'm not aware of? It'd be an interesting case study. Not to paint them as wrong for that preference, but it's such a commonality that it's intriguing in itself. If there are any Russian Sonic fans on this forum, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Dunno. I have a Russian friend all the way back from 2010 that I meet at the Sega forums and he dislikes the Sonic movie design just as much as I do.

IMG_20190505_205536.jpg.743e9b104eb7f536dbacf54e5c35515c.jpg

This one's proportions are perfect. I love how heroic Sonic looks. Also the face is better