Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

Translation: Good. I have friends working on the rework of #SonicLeFilm and apparently this is the big cat ... in the sense that they will have to start all over again, starting with the modeling of the character until the animation . The graphic designers want to burst...

Seesh, yeah. I'm a graphic designer myself, I know the pain. Remember that style guide? Forget about it. The graphic designers will have to re-do everything and replace all the arts. This sucks a lot. And that assuming it's just Sonic that's going to change...

Lots of overtimes are going to happen...

I don't know how they can get this done in 6 months. It's already an mess. The merchandise are starting to come out. BTW, you will also buy the Puma shoes that Sonic is wearing. It will be called Speed 500.:

Spoiler

81Mf2lV9zkL._UY606_.jpgPuma-Sneakers-Red-Worn-by-Sonic-in-Sonic-the-Hedgehog-2.jpg

Unless, if they have prepare another model months ago in case of the backlash, I can't see this working well. The best way for this is to delay it, just to give them more time, which I highly doubt it. 

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I think this was always a foregone conclusion, especially with all the talk in this thread about general audiences, or whatever, a lot of people considered this hitting the mainstream as a foregone conclusion, because for all the talk of adult nostalgic, and what have you - that just meant there would be a massive mainstream backlash because people know what Sonic should look like, and will actively be pissed/frustrated/confused at why Hollywood mistakenly believed they knew better. 

It was never a case of only Sonic fans hating this design because they dislike change, it was always a case of the design from the earliest days showing signs of being awful on a conceptual level to a majority of people, and it was only a matter of time til the trailer released worldwide and spread like wildfire to prove that this design isn't anywhere as appealing as the one that lasted 30 years.

Oh that's not what I meant. Obviously, that was a foregone conclusion. The instant I heard it was going to be live-action years and years back I knew this wasn't going to turn out well. I'm just saying that it's weird to have it finally out there. For a while this movie was just a ghost, hidden within the cracks of our small community. Now it's out there, raging like a beast. Stomping through the mainstream like Godzilla on a bad day.

I am a bit surprised that the mainstream cared THIS much about it though. I knew it would be hated and all that but the fact that it reached and pissed off so many people did kind of catch me off guard. Even I underestimated just how much Sonic was still loved and recognized on that front. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I am a bit surprised that the mainstream cared THIS much about it though. I knew it would be hated and all that but the fact that it reached and pissed off so many people did kind of catch me off guard. Even I underestimated just how much Sonic was still loved and recognized on that front. 

That's the ironic bit, in their desperate attempt to nostalgia-grab the 90s crowd, they hit that exact crowd who know who Sonic looks like, and know this still looks awfully wrong. It's one of the most disastrous uses of nostalgia I've seen in a movie to date.

If Paramount has any sense at all, they're going to delay this movie. But considering they also looked at that naked furry gremlin man of a hedgehog and said "Yeah that's fine, everyone will love that" to begin with, well, they have more cents than they do sense.

29 minutes ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

I wonder if it'd even help them that much in the long run, because the only interest people seem to have in this thing is that the main character looks like a hideous freak monster. Lose that and you lose your ironic audience, and I don't think that leaves a whole lot left.

Exactly, I shared the trailer with friends, and most of them want to see it just because it looks so bad. If it looked just "half bad", they wouldn't be interested, but since this looks like a perfect trainwreck, they want to witness. 

It's almost as if that's exactly Paramount's plan. Things that look too bad get attention, attention generates curiosity, and curiosity can sell tickets. I'm sure as heck not going to see it in the theaters tho'. Going to the theater is an expensive program nowadays, especially here in Brazil. 

29 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Well, so much for an cameo.:

What a missed opportunity. Actually, it would have been funny if ALL the military members were cameos from current and past Sonic voice actors. 

How are they going to do a full redesign in 6 months? What about the merchandise? What about the tie-in products? What about licensing agreements? I'm worried for those teams too

This might be too late but do you think that is whole "Sonic's design is horrible so he needs to get redesigned" thing had preplanned somehow? It might be a conspiracy theory but I find rather unlikely that the studio behind this did not anticipate this backlash with Sonic's design.

So just how much are people thinking they are going to change the design. A lot, or just a little.

Also no  to crush 40 just no. Unless a giant water god is shown. Crush is a fine band and all but honestly the only time imo they are good is when it involves a final boss or opening song set to a action montage

6 hours ago, Meta77 said:

So just how much are people thinking they are going to change the design. A lot, or just a little.

A little, if they're smart.  A lot, if they're not smart, because while a lot is what it needs, what people know about this movie right now is that the filmmakers let it get to the trailer stage looking so horrible that they actually had to pull back and change it; and that's not going to be forgotten.  They lost the public's goodwill before they even had it, and with it goes almost all chance of the movie being the kind of success they were hoping for.  It's not worth anyone's time and hard work polishing this to a state past mediocre.

And frankly... I want the people who made this to be judged on their, ahem, "creative vision".  They made their bed; they should have to lie in it.

Minimal change that barely has any effect. He's still gonna look like a kid wearing an ugly Sonic costume designed by someone who's trying to recall how Sonic looks based solely on a blurry magazine photo he saw back in 1991. The only question is how crap the mask piece is gonna be.

Also no  to crush 40 just no. Unless a giant water god is shown. Crush is a fine band and all but honestly the only time imo they are good is when it involves a final boss or opening song set to a action montage 

To be honest, Crush 40 just lost its magic if you ask me. Anything they released in like the last decade or so feels so uninspired, so unmemorable. So even if they were involved, I doubt they'd bring anything memorable and worthwhile into the mix.

Doesn't it almost feel like Paramount is an Indiana Jones villain, and the Sonic movie rights are like a Judeo-Christian artifact that they thrust open without fully understanding?

SEGA is just standing to the side now, waiting for Paramount to instantly decompose and get its face melted away, and then they're going to run for the temple exit as fast as they can.

Not really.  as much hate s they get from some reawakened sonic fans on YouTube I'm thankful they at least are trying. I've wanted a sonic movie since 91. It was something I used to dream of. We got the ova but I wanted a big screen film. Sure cgi would have been nice but a huge risk as well. But even if the face of hell spooks me the rest still seems good

Its something I doubt we would ever have got if not for paramount

15 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Getting nothing would have been the better option. I don't get this obsession certain people have that "Sonic must have a movie, no matter the cost!".

It's the same thing that I hear when people tell us that we should be grateful we got a game/comic/show/movie in this case at all.

Like, no. Why take a garbage movie just because it happens to be about Sonic? Why not say that garbage isn't okay and refuse to fund it?

21 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

It's the same thing that I hear when people tell us that we should be grateful we got a game/comic/show/movie in this case at all.

Like, no. Why take a garbage movie just because it happens to be about Sonic? Why not say that garbage isn't okay and refuse to fund it?

I guess I'm just old fashioned but I want stuff that I actually enjoy, not just some crap with the name of an IP that I enjoyed the previous entries of.

1 hour ago, DreamSaturn said:

Same argument could be said of the RE movies. They are crap yet make a ton of money each time cause fans like going to see it regardless.  one man's trash I guess. I think some treat sonic or want to view the franchise as this pure object that can never be tarnished for fear people will hate it. But I say if Sonics still around all these years going through both failed  aka sonic xtreme to bad games aka sonic boom this movie wont sank him in further in peoples opinions on what sonic means to them. 

1 hour ago, DreamSaturn said:

Same argument could be said of the RE movies. They are crap yet make a ton of money each time cause fans like going to see it regardless.  one man's trash I guess. I think some treat sonic or want to view the franchise as this pure object that can never be tarnished for fear people will hate it. But I say if Sonics still around all these years going through both failed  aka sonic xtreme to bad games aka sonic boom this movie wont sank him in further in peoples opinions on what sonic means to them.