Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I reckon that the movie will have a much bigger budget and better quality. But other then that I'm not enthusiastic for it either. The awful fanfilm is the first thing that popped in my head when I've read about this especially if the rumor about it being dark and gritty is true.

If only someone had debunked the dark and gritty rumor...

Yeah, me neither. That's just not my cup of tea, though I'm sure the Lego Movie pulled it off well. (I seriously need to see that movie one day.) 

LEGO is my favorite movie of the year so far.

• Thumbs Up 2

Really?? Damn, have you seen X-Men: Days of Future Past?

Mr. Van, if I may; what is your overall strategy and/or methodology in writing this film?

I reckon that the movie will have a much bigger budget and better quality. But other then that I'm not enthusiastic for it either. The awful fanfilm is the first thing that popped in my head when I've read about this especially if the rumor about it being dark and gritty is true.

Yeah, I don't like the sound of the whole "dark & gritty" thing either. I wouldn't mind something with a SatAM vibe but there's nothing really dark & gritty about Sonic so why start now? SatAM & the OVA were great, we don't need dark & gritty. Heck even Night of the Werehog was fun to watch thought I don't think I could sit through a full length movie like that lol

Really?? Damn, have you seen X-Men: Days of Future Past?

X-Men is high up on the list too. I loved First Class so Future Past probably unfairly lost some points from me setting my expectations so high (even if it did meet them).

Mr. Van, if I may; what is your overall strategy and/or methodology in writing this film?

Could you be more specific? I'm not sure what you are asking.

The LEGO Movie is my favourite movie of the year too so far! I think the live action part was pulled off really well actually, it didn't feel out of place and it didn't feel like a cop out like I was expecting it to.

Yeah, I don't like the sound of the whole "dark & gritty" thing either. I wouldn't mind something with a SatAM vibe but there's nothing really dark & gritty about Sonic so why start now? SatAM & the OVA were great, we don't need dark & gritty. Heck even Night of the Werehog was fun to watch thought I don't think I could sit through a full length movie like that lol

Heaven's sake.

It was a lie. The dark and gritty bullshit stuff was bullshit stuff. At least as far as the script-writer, IE the guy posting in this very thread with a Charmy avatar, has control over it.

X-Men is high up on the list too. I loved First Class so Future Past probably unfairly lost some points from me setting my expectations so high (even if it did meet them).

Awesome!! I do liked them both as well!!

And kind of following Jovahexeon Super Soniko Jo' question, if you had to compare the kind of story, tone and characters you're developing for the Sonic movie with another excisting movie (doesn't matter if it's live-action or animated) what movie would you chose?

Heaven's sake.

It was a lie. The dark and gritty bullshit stuff was bullshit stuff. At least as far as the script-writer, IE the guy posting in this very thread with a Charmy avatar, has control over it.

I didn't know that was made up, thank goodness! lol

I can get grittiness in Sonic movie if it's IRONIC. Remember he's still a 90's product, so an "awful" amount of IRONY is mandatory.

Eww, no.

In a parodic format, sure, but Sonic shouldn't be ironically 90s. That not only breaks the fourth wall to smithereens but also all-but-confirms that he's an icon of an age passed instead of being likeable in himself.

• Thumbs Up 6

Eww, no.In a parodic format, sure, but Sonic shouldn't be ironically 90s. That not only breaks the fourth wall to smithereens but also all-but-confirms that he's an icon of an age passed instead of being likeable in himself.

Kind of like how he was depicted in the Sonic fan movie then. And knowing what he's like in that movie (no offense Jaleel White), err I don't think I want to see that. XD;;

• Thumbs Up 1

Question for Mr. Van. I noticed your a fan of Charmy Bee. Does that mean there's a chance the Chaotix Crew might have a role in the film!?

Also what are the chances of Sonic characters from non-game media, like say the Freedom Fighters from the Archie Comics/SATAM cartoon having short cameos ala Stan-Lee in the Marvel flicks?

Thanks in advance for the response.

Question for Mr. Van. I noticed your a fan of Charmy Bee. Does that mean there's a chance the Chaotix Crew might have a role in the film!?

Also what are the chances of Sonic characters from non-game media, like say the Freedom Fighters from the Archie Comics/SATAM cartoon having short cameos ala Stan-Lee in the Marvel flicks?

Thanks in advance for the response.

I can't really comment on the content of the film but I can say I am a fan of Team Chaotix as well as Big the Cat and think that they are valuable members of the Sonic extended "family".

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't really comment on the content of the film but I can say I am a fan of Team Chaotix as well as Big the Cat and think that they are valuable members of the Sonic extended "family".

Oh... Oh no...

• Thumbs Up 1

I understand, probably to early to say who will/won't be in anyway. Thanks for the answer none the less. And glad to know the Chaoitix Crew seem to at least have a shot of showing up!

What's your opinion on Shadow the Hedgehog? He's my favourite.

What's your opinion on Shadow the Hedgehog? He's my favourite.

I like shadow, he's not my favorite, but I think he gets a lot more negativity than he deserves.

• Thumbs Up 1

And your opinion on Knuckles? After all, unlike Sonic he don't chuckle! *shot for making overused joke* XD

And your opinion on Knuckles? After all, unlike Sonic he don't chuckle! *shot for making overused joke* XD

I love knuckles. His portrayal has been all over the place in the past though.

When he first debuted and made the hero turn from being a villain, I loved him. He was the Wolverine of the Sonic Universe. (or the Green Ranger if that's more your thing). I think that was cool. Some cool stuff came later but also some not as cool stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like shadow, he's not my favorite, but I think he gets a lot more negativity than he deserves.

The negativity towards Shadow is mostly just on a few fan forums, but outside of them Shadow is the second most popular and liked Sonic character. Popular enough to receive his own solo game; which became a platinum seller. The recent rerelease of Sonic Adventure 2 that he's starred in was on top of the XBL charts for quite some time as well. Trust me, take the negativity as a grain of salt.

• Thumbs Up 1

The negativity towards Shadow is mostly just on a few fan forums, but outside of them Shadow is the second most popular and liked Sonic character. Popular enough to receive his own solo game; which became a platinum seller. The recent rerelease of Sonic Adventure 2 that he's starred in was on top of the XBL charts for quite some time as well. Trust me, take the negativity as a grain of salt.

Totally agree. I'm well aware of his actual popularity vs internet forum popularity.

• Thumbs Up 3

Van, personal opinion again, not to do with the movie, you seem to have a love for the less used characters, like the Chaotix (until recently where they have shown up more post Heroes). What's your opinion on Nack the Weasel? Sega hasn't used him in quite a while but he has a fairly sizable following and a fair few who believe the Sonic series could use a proper "bad/evil" anthropomorphic animals. Not that we would ever want the limelight taken from Eggman tho :)

Also have you been reading much of the current Archie comics? There's some really good personality traits from the characters in there that expand on the game lore.