Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

14 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

No you need an original story. You need to build a world before just dropping in every character just cause fans will like it. While fans may like that, reviewers will not. Go look at what D.pika has right now from critics. A freaking 54. I liked the movie but many who rated it so low is cause the movie is basically for gamers and those who know the characters. It does little to introduce any of them to you. It assumes you know everything.  Which for me is ok but not everyone.

Huh, that's disappointing. Well, geez, if it's going to get low ratings anyway, why bother appealing to the lowest common denominator? Go all out with the fanservice, what's there to lose?

14 minutes ago, Razule said:

Huh, that's disappointing. Well, geez, if it's going to get low ratings anyway, why bother appealing to the lowest common denominator? Go all out with the fanservice, what's there to lose?

Not much in suppose

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

No you need an original story. You need to build a world before just dropping in every character just cause fans will like it. While fans may like that, reviewers will not. Go look at what D.pika has right now from critics. A freaking 54. I liked the movie but many who rated it so low is cause the movie is basically for gamers and those who know the characters. It does little to introduce any of them to you. It assumes you know everything.  Which for me is ok but not everyone.

I wonder how much will Detective Pikachu explain about its own entire world with dozens if not hundreds of unique characters to the audience so that everyone is on the same page before getting on with the actual story they want to tell..

Or will they go the "you can't please everybody, and you had almost 25 years to learn about the franchise, it's not our job to introduce it to you, we're just gonna make a movie for the fans of this franchise set in this universe and have fun with it" route.

(NOTE: like an idiot, I didn't realize D.pika means Detective Pikachu, so if my comment seems like parroting the quote without realizing, that's why.)

Regarding the "professional critics" thing: I doubt they're gonna go watch the movie multiple times and throw money on it like crazy like fans do. So I think if overal fans are gonna be satisfied with it, the studio will get over the critics not being blown away by it.

I can't remember the last time I based whether to buy a movie/game on "professional critics".

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

...who think that their opinions matter...

Their opinion matters, to themselves.

That's worth something.

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

The Detective Pikachu movie had at least a lot of positive buzz. The Rotten Tomatoes rating is at 66% which make it the highest rated video game movie, and it’s also got 7.3/10 on IMDB. So, I wouldn’t call it a bad movie. 

32 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

The Detective Pikachu movie had at least a lot of positive buzz. The Rotten Tomatoes rating is at 66% which make it the highest rated video game movie, and it’s also got 7.3/10 on IMDB. So, I wouldn’t call it a bad movie. 

I wonder what the auidience score is gonna be. That's the one that actaully matters in the grand scheme of things. I mean the trailer seemed interesting, but the story itself or the execution still may be crap for all we know.

19 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

I wonder what the auidience score is gonna be. That's the one that actaully matters in the grand scheme of things. I mean the trailer seemed interesting, but the story itself or the execution still may be crap for all we know.

Well, I didn't expect it to be perfect, but I guess it's half decent.

Anyway, back to the topic, everything in the Sonic movie look fine. I like how Jim Carrey's look and acting as Eggman. The only con that I have problem so far is Sonic's design. I'm glad we are getting an redesign. I don't think he will get that much changes, maybe, they will lower his legs and widen his eyes. So, maybe like this.:

sonic_improved_feat.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Anyway, back to the topic, everything in the Sonic movie look fine. I like how Jim Carrey's look and acting as Eggman. The only con that I have problem so far is Sonic's design. I'm glad we are getting an redesign. I don't think he will get that much changes, maybe, they will lower his legs and widen his eyes. So, maybe like this.:

sonic_improved_feat.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if Fowler hired someone from Sega to act as a consultant for the new design. I think after 600K dislikes, they got the message that they need to be faithful to the game design.

4 hours ago, Meta77 said:

2 hours ago, Tarnish said:

I wonder how much will Detective Pikachu explain about its own entire world with dozens if not hundreds of unique characters to the audience so that everyone is on the same page before getting on with the actual story they want to tell..

Or will they go the "you can't please everybody, and you had almost 25 years to learn about the franchise, it's not our job to introduce it to you, we're just gonna make a movie for the fans of this franchise set in this universe and have fun with it" route.

(NOTE: like an idiot, I didn't realize D.pika means Detective Pikachu, so if my comment seems like parroting the quote without realizing, that's why.)

Regarding the "professional critics" thing: I doubt they're gonna go watch the movie multiple times and throw money on it like crazy like fans do. So I think if overal fans are gonna be satisfied with it, the studio will get over the critics not being blown away by it.

I can't remember the last time I based whether to buy a movie/game on "professional critics".

Having just seen it myself, I can say the movie is at least more beginner-friendly than any past Pokemon movie, since those were just longer episodes of the anime, set around clear points in its continuity.  That places a huge requirement on knowing who characters are and what makes them tick.  With DP all of the characters are new and introduced in the movie.  However, it gets more "just go with it" in later acts, and I called outright bull on some parts of the finale--and I know the Pokemon canon well.

None of that changes, though, that DP's jokes got a laugh out of me in the very first trailer released, while none of Sonic's did--or that I want to give Pikachu a big hug and think movie Sonic looks like he's in pain from having been mutated in the womb.

22 minutes ago, Myst said:

they got the message that they need to be faithful to the game design

I really doubt they will be even after the backlash.

What baffles my mind the most tho is this: SEGA doesn't allow their own Sonic Team to do a lot of things in the games (or is that Sonic Team's own decision? Either way, it's super limiting to the franchise, not leaving much to explore within the games). But have no problem signing a movie deal where they have basically no say in a god damn thing.

While we're on this, I will note that DP actually plays with the Uncanny Valley deliberately at points; mixing foreign traits in with familiar ones in the case that a Pokemon gets the role of being a menace.  There's a vision to it.  Whether the realistic Pokemon are cute or scary, putting textures on the models is still a pretty unambiguously logical step to take in making them realistic.

With the Sonic movie, though, even if you can get over the hump and tolerate it's desire to be realistic, their choices don't play into that at all.  Nothing about realism mandates that every bipedal animal has to have a human-shaped body or human-shaped teeth, and while realism might rule out the conjoined eyes, it doesn't justify giving Sonic nearly immobile eyes that are the same basic oval shape when he's wisecracking as when he's screaming in fear.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

It would be way, way too much work to change his proportions this late in the game. Scenes would have to be reanimated entirely. The best we're likely to get at this point are larger eyes and less teeth.

• Thumbs Up 8

It's not, at all, but I guess nothing can stop you from pretending it is.

• Thumbs Up 7

It really isn't accurate. Paramount made a garbage design that nobody liked. They're only changing it after backlash, and this is only happening once.

• Thumbs Up 4

The real irony is you could literally take the whole thing, swap the design for waiting to see, only to have “I love the Sonic movie” at the end to flip the script around. 

But hey, let’s keep pretending the only complaint is those silly sonic fans hating change even though several people who hate the movie was fully accepting of boom but hey lets ignore that detail.

If several people, including the creators of Sonic, several prolific members of the fanbase, and even a good chunk of people outside the fanbase, are telling you that your design is garbage, maybe the audience isn't the problem?

• Thumbs Up 5

It's just a meme guys, chill. I agree that the design needs changes, I just thought it was a funny commentary on the Sonic fanbase and how some of us are literally impossible to please.

And come on, there were people hating on this movie BEFORE the motion poster in December, so I say yes, it's pretty darn accurate.

1 minute ago, Myst said:

It's just a meme guys. I agree the design needs changes, I just thought it was a funny commentary on the Sonic fanbase and how some of us are impossible to please.

No one. Likes. The design. 

This isn't a niche "only the most hardcore nerd cares about this detail" thing, it's universally hated.

• Thumbs Up 7

9 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

I like the design<<<

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The real irony is you could literally take the whole thing, swap the design for waiting to see, only to have “I love the Sonic movie” at the end to flip the script around. 

But hey, let’s keep pretending the only complaint is those silly sonic fans hating change even though several people who hate the movie was fully accepting of boom but hey lets ignore that detail.

This is true, but Sonic Booms wasnt a huge change it added to the character cause of the white being used by runners. But yeah people that I know who never seen Sonic or liked it as a kid find the design horrible.

The only ones that seem to like it are Russians and Russians Sonic fans.

Just now, StaticMania said:

I like the design<<<

Eugh

12 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Don’t know where is this from, but I know this quote came from Iizuka.:

D6NhwOXXkAAEfwQ?format=jpg&name=medium

Yep, that's Iizuka-san subtly trying to distance himself from it.

• Chuckle 3

5 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

This isn't a niche "only the most hardcore nerd cares about this detail" thing, it's universally hated.

And once they fix the design, Sonic fans will toss the Macaroni back at Paramount for some other reason and say 'I hate this'

We've had at least 3 or 4 different versions of movie Sonic leaked since December and all of them were met with criticism. It's a comically accurate representation of the fanbase these past several months.

Look, I'm not defending the design. I'm not a fan of it either. I just thought it was a funny commentary on Sonic fans not accepting change and sometimes being impossible to please (I'm guilty of that myself. Hated Boom when it was announced, but grew to love it)

It's a meme, dude.