Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

5 hours ago, Pawn said:

It would be way, way too much work to change his proportions this late in the game. Scenes would have to be reanimated entirely. The best we're likely to get at this point are larger eyes and less teeth.

Well, that sucks. They probably better off delaying the movie if they want big changes to the design, which I doubt they will do it.

Just now, CaptainRobo said:

Well, that sucks. They probably better off delaying the movie if they want big changes to the design.

You know what they're really better off doing?

Not changing the design at all, because, and this'll be said a lot, the design is only part of the problem people have.

What if it doesn't look "better" "better", well that's just wasted effort.

What if it does look "better", well if the story still sucks it's STILL wasted effort.

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, Myst said:

And once they fix the design, Sonic fans will toss the Macaroni back at Paramount for some other reason and say 'I hate this'

We've had at least 3 or 4 different versions of movie Sonic leaked since December and all of them were met with criticism. It's a comically accurate representation of the fanbase these past several months.

Look, I'm not defending the design. I'm not a fan of it either. I just thought it was a funny commentary on Sonic fans not accepting change and sometimes being impossible to please (I'm guilty of that myself. Hated Boom when it was announced, but grew to love it)

It's a meme, dude.

But the leaked Sonic forms are all the same trough.

But yeah seeing the script and the trailer a good design wont change it. Maybe Jim Carrey will. It feels like a 90's Carrey movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Myst said:

We've had at least 3 or 4 different versions of movie Sonic leaked since December and all of them were met with criticism. It's a comically accurate representation of the fanbase these past several months.

Because all of them were terrible. Some were less terrible than others, but all terrible nonetheless. It's not just the fans that didn't like them.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

You know what they're really better off doing?

Not changing the design at all, because, and this'll be said a lot, the design is only part of the problem people have.

What if it doesn't look "better" "better", well that's just wasted effort.

What if it does look "better", well if the story still sucks it's STILL wasted effort.

Yup. There is no real fixing this movie, would be best to just stop wasting time and money on it.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Myst said:

And once they fix the design, Sonic fans will toss the Macaroni back at Paramount for some other reason and say 'I hate this'

Look, I'm not defending the design. I'm not a fan of it either. I just thought it was a funny commentary on Sonic fans not accepting change and sometimes being impossible to please (I'm guilty of that myself. Hated Boom when it was announced, but grew to love it)

It's a meme, dude.

Every design we've seen, leaked or otherwise, has looked God-awful. And that's because they're all the dame design, give or take a few of the more specific details like shoes and socks.

And if the design was generally liked, the film still wouldn't look good. Imagine we got the same trailer with a normal/better looking Sonic - it would still be the same bad jokes, poor music choice, tired story,  Jim Carrey playing Jim Carrey, live-action Sonic film.

It's a dumb meme, dude.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, DreamSaturn said:

Because all of them were terrible. Some were less terrible than others, but all terrible nonetheless. It's not just the fans that didn't like them.

I liked the 3d render that was leaked alongside the style guide art.

I didn't see the big deal with the motion poster. I was willing to give it a chance.

The Chris Pratt poster was a bit too cutesy for me (Sonic looked like a Care Bear imo) and I didn't like it. But compared to what we got in the trailer, I'd gladly take it now.

I didn't like the 2D art in the style guide.

Just now, Myst said:

I liked the 3d render that was leaked alongside the style guide art.

I didn't see the big deal with the motion poster. I was willing to give it a chance.

The Chris Pratt poster was a bit too cutesy for me (Sonic looked like a Care Bear imo) and I didn't like it. But compared to what we got in the trailer, I'd gladly take it now.

I didn't like the 2D art in the style guide.

You might have liked it, and that's all well and good. But that's not the point. The point is, most people didn't. See: everyone on social media that was laughing at them.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Myst said:

It's a comically accurate representation of the fanbase these past several months.

You're getting a lot of responses, so I'm not going to wail on you. I do think you're right about much of the Sonic fanbase, unable to be pleased. That meme would probably be accurate if it were talking about Sonic fans.

But the hugeness of this, the reason Paramount responded, was because of all the people OUTSIDE THE SONIC FANBASE who reacted the way they did. The mainstream. Celebrities and such who haven't glanced at Sonic in decades.

(And incidentally, I think most of the people who are celebrating the "changes" are from outside the fanbase. They haven't been as jaded as those of us who've been with Sonic longer. ;) )

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Myst said:

It's a meme, dude.

Probably because they all looked bad? You can't pull the "it's a meme" card on us dude when you're basically making fun of people who have been giving criticism of the design. 

• Thumbs Up 3

So basically even though it's still annoying, that joke would've made more sense if it was about the games not the movie design...

That's old.

17 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Probably because they all looked bad? You can't pull the "it's a meme" card on us dude when you're basically making fun of people who have been giving criticism of the design. 

Yeesh. I wasn't making fun of anybody personally, just pointing out the humor in the reactions people have had to this movie these past several months.

I honestly didn't expect my post to ruffle so much feathers. You can either laugh at it like I did, or ignore it and move on. 

Yep. there are even reports of adults and children yelling how Sonic is ugly in the theater since the trailer is playing before the Pikachu detective movie.

it also doesnt help that Pikachu detective movie has been much better received and they should have taken pointers from the Pokemon movie, since they brought in acteal pokemon fans and fan artist to work on the characters design and involved Nintendo/Pokemon Company with the movie every step of the way. 

Bonus: its in fact based LOOSELY on one of the Pokemon games too. Imagine that, a movie following the game's storyline. Wild.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Yep. there are even reports of adults and children yelling how Sonic is ugly in the theater since the trailer is playing before the Pikachu detective movie.

it also doesnt help that Pikachu detective movie has been much better received and they should have taken pointers from the Pokemon movie, since they brought in acteal pokemon fans and fan artist to work on the characters design and involved Nintendo/Pokemon Company with the movie every step of the way. 

Let’s not forget that they even got Ken Sugimori who is the character designer and the art director to work on the film. He make sure that they didn’t screw the Pokémon up. It was really good that they make sure that they retained the designs.

https://nintendoeverything.com/detective-pikachu-had-a-pokemon-expert-on-set-every-day-ken-sugimori-was-involved/

• Chuckle 1

6 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

The Pokemon look amazing but some people still hate them 

yes ''some'' nothing compared to how Sonic and general people reacted to Sonic's movie design.

• Thumbs Up 4

26 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

If the possibility of the movie being delayed over the redesign wasn’t there with what happened with Monster Trucks, it might be here now. Especially considering this apparently happened.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/20th-century-fox-brad-pitt-space-movie-ad-astra-departs-memorial-day-slot-may-fly-to-fall-1202606409/

The movie will not be delayed. Paramount has Sonic movie merch ready to roll out for Christmas. Paramount is probably counting on merchandise sales over the holiday season to help contribute to the film's overall revenue. 

20 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

The Pokemon look amazing but some people still hate them 

And some people think Movie Sonic is cute.

• Chuckle 3

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

One of the writers joke about Sonic’s design change.:

Hmm. The ugly teeth are gone. And look, black eyes again! So maybe they are trying to pull classic fans back. His face has a slight cartoonish look, but there's still a bit of seriousness to it. Like he's not going to buck around with Eggman.

Overall, a strong improvement.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 4

3 hours ago, Myst said:

It's a meme, dude.

Well, the one thing they didn't try is just...you know, use the design everyone grew to know over the past 20 years.

If they do that (by some miracle which they won't), and most people are still gonna complain about the design, I'll agree with you. Until then, they took pretty much the last remaining thing the fandom for the most part agrees on (how Sonic should look), and just turned it into something barely anyone (because there's always at least a few weirdos) asked for, and are now surprised people don't like it.

• Thumbs Up 3