Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

26 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

If the possibility of the movie being delayed over the redesign wasn’t there with what happened with Monster Trucks, it might be here now. Especially considering this apparently happened.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/20th-century-fox-brad-pitt-space-movie-ad-astra-departs-memorial-day-slot-may-fly-to-fall-1202606409/

The movie will not be delayed. Paramount has Sonic movie merch ready to roll out for Christmas. Paramount is probably counting on merchandise sales over the holiday season to help contribute to the film's overall revenue. 

2 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

One of the writers joke about Sonic’s design change.:

Hmm. The ugly teeth are gone. And look, black eyes again! So maybe they are trying to pull classic fans back. His face has a slight cartoonish look, but there's still a bit of seriousness to it. Like he's not going to buck around with Eggman.

Overall, a strong improvement.

3 hours ago, Myst said:

And once they fix the design, Sonic fans will toss the Macaroni back at Paramount for some other reason and say 'I hate this' 

We've had at least 3 or 4 different versions of movie Sonic leaked since December and all of them were met with criticism. It's a comically accurate representation of the fanbase these past several months.

Look, I'm not defending the design. I'm not a fan of it either. I just thought it was a funny commentary on Sonic fans not accepting change and sometimes being impossible to please (I'm guilty of that myself. Hated Boom when it was announced, but grew to love it)

It's a meme, dude.

Well, the one thing they didn't try is just...you know, use the design everyone grew to know over the past 20 years.

If they do that (by some miracle which they won't), and most people are still gonna complain about the design, I'll agree with you. Until then, they took pretty much the last remaining thing the fandom for the most part agrees on (how Sonic should look), and just turned it into something barely anyone (because there's always at least a few weirdos) asked for, and are now surprised people don't like it.

14 minutes ago, Myst said:

The movie will not be delayed. Paramount has Sonic movie merch ready to roll out for Christmas. The marketing team at Paramount is probably counting on merchandise sales over the holiday season to help contribute to the film's overall revenue. 

Oh, right, merchandise.
Kind of weird in that regard they only have Sonic plus a few nondescript humans, if I were a soulless Hollywood merchandise manager, I'd demand all fan favorite Sonic characters to show up to get as much merchandise possibilities as possible.
The Transformers got a ton of them in their movies for full action figure advantage. The Smurfs were smart enough to have a bunch of them.
Weird Sonic the movie shows so much restraint.
Then again, I suppose at least one more "cartoon" character was hinted at to appear.

Eh, the Meme worked for me, in a "Even if Paramount fixes the Sonic design, people will reject the movie because it's entire concept is not working" kinda way.

I'm indiffrent about Sonic's design, if that helps.

3 hours ago, Myst said:

Yeesh. I wasn't making fun of anybody personally, just pointing out the humor in the reactions people have had to this movie these past several months.

I honestly didn't expect my post to ruffle so much feathers. You can either laugh at it like I did, or ignore it and move on. 

A misrepresentative meme helped convince Sega to throw out most of the playable cast, and posting it is banned here for a reason.  We don't need any more misrepresentative memes screwing over the series.

Particularly not ones that promote the old myth that Sonic fans will never be pleased.  Even if that was true, the conclusion Paramount should have drawn from it was that the brand is too risky to capitalize on.  But it's not true.  The myth exists because Sega's supposed attempts to fix Sonic have generally been about throwing things out, many of which weren't even unpopular, and adding new things to replace them, many of which ARE unpopular.  Attacking the customers rather than taking their actual complaints into consideration makes one a useful idiot to bad businesspeople.

34 minutes ago, Razule said:

Who needs other characters when Sonic and Baby Sonic are going to fly off the shelves?

The easiest answer is "People who already bought Sonic and Baby Sonic".  There are, of course, concerns about the costs of manufacturing such merchandise, but if they don't want to, what that says to me is--for the record--they aren't so convinced of their own brand that as to go in deep with their first movie.  Profit isn't just about how much you earn; it's about how little you invest.  These 3d-animated-animal-in-live-action-world movies keep getting made, despite their mediocre-to-bad receptions, because they're cheaper to make than a fully animated film.

If what merchandise it does have flies off the shelves, that will be a sign they can do more with next movie.  I'm not convinced it will, though.  It exists in a world where they core Sonic brand also does, and the game design looks a lot better.

2 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

yes ''some'' nothing compared to how Sonic and general people reacted to Sonic's movie design.

Well, the reactions are not as bad as the reactions for Sonic's movie design. So, I agree, but that is their opinion. Maybe they didn't like it because they think that they were creepy, but I didn't see anything wrong with them, they look technically the same like the games.

Anyway, here is what Iizuka have to say about the movie.:

I know I posted an picture of the same quote that Iizuka say about the movie, but I don't think not that much people noticed it.

Also, didn't he say that he is the supervisor of the movie like last year. The development of the movie is kinda confusing me.:

http://www.tssznews.com/2018/06/22/takashi-iizuka-says-he-is-supervising-the-sonic-movie/

Also, btw, the storyboard artist of the movie draw this.:

4 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Oh, right, merchandise.
Kind of weird in that regard they only have Sonic plus a few nondescript humans, if I were a soulless Hollywood merchandise manager, I'd demand all fan favorite Sonic characters to show up to get as much merchandise possibilities as possible.
The Transformers got a ton of them in their movies for full action figure advantage. The Smurfs were smart enough to have a bunch of them.
Weird Sonic the movie shows so much restraint.
Then again, I suppose at least one more "cartoon" character was hinted at to appear.

Eh, the Meme worked for me, in a "Even if Paramount fixes the Sonic design, people will reject the movie because it's entire concept is not working" kinda way.

I'm indiffrent about Sonic's design, if that helps.

Even as far back as Garfield, while Arlene and Nermal (even Odie) were played by real felines they were at least present along with some new characters. 

5 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Even as far back as Garfield, while Arlene and Nermal (even Odie) were played by real felines they were at least present along with some new characters. 

They made Odie a feline?!

That statement about Sega not being involved in the movie given by Iizuka remind me of this comment made by the company that made the Doom games, when they asked about the upcoming direct-to-video Doom movie that was hated by a lot of people a few months ago.:

4 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Iizuka's statement can basically be "Yeah, it sucks, we know, but it's not our fault this time!"

Yet he basically said that he’s looking forward to seeing the finished thing. Side-note: since Sonic is their property, I wonder if the folks at SEGA get early screenings?

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

They'll sure be "honest" about their involvement with said product.

Hence Iizuka's statement, he's openly admitting that he's nothing more than an advisor and god knows they've ignored feedback for this long.

At the end of the trailer, when Carrey goes full Robotnik, I wonder if the color of his goggles are a visual reference to SatAM/AoStH. As we all know, In those cartoons, he had black eyes with red pupils. The goggles have the same color scheme.

6 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

The Pokemon look amazing but some people still hate them 

Some people seem to like Sonic's movie design but most people hate/dislike it.

I'm thinking about the possibility that the trailer design was a PR stunt (highly doubt it) and, if it was, how fucking successful it was at getting people talking and thinking about this movie. Like, I've seen redesign after redesign after redesign. I mean, this thread is 430 pages long so far. People are talking SO much about this movie...most of what they're saying is negative but still, word of mouth and curiosity can do a lot for a movie like this.

Like, I don't think that's what's happening but if it was, damn. This thing was on colbert. It's been in tons of news outlets. People with..uh...DIFFERENT tastes would likely see it purely on the scale of the discussion being had. Just think about how many shitty trailers of decent movies we'll start to get if this one was a PR stunt.