Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

7 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

The next generation of children deserves better than this.

I dunno. I managed alright with garbage like Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Underground and some of the appallingly bad stuff that the Fleetway Sonic the Comic put out. This movie already looks better than all of those.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

Any reason why this movie is repeating every bad cliche despite experience showing that they don't work

7 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Any reason why this movie is repeating every bad cliche despite experience showing that they don't work

•  

Even DISNEY is doing this to their OWN characters. It looks like the trend is now a zombie.

17 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

•  

Experience shows they make enough to get sequels sometimes.

Sorry if someone else brought this up buttt

one of the people behind the Sonic movie, at first, repeatedly referred Sonic to Sonic the Hedge Dog in his emails. and then the movie got shuffeled.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Like Myst said, the movie is for a new generation of fans so if they succeed in bringing kids who dont know Sonic in, I guess Paramount will be happy. 

I still don't get how making a movie that resembles the source material so very little is supposed to bring in new people in masses to said source material. Don't get me wrong, it can happen that someone likes both, but the two are so day and night I just don't see it working in general.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm going to watch Detective Pikachu tomorrow. I have to see this monstrosity on the big screen before they change the design. 

I watched Detective Pikachu, and they didn't have the Sonic commercial on it. It was plagued with all the Disney movies coming out this year though. As much as I like what the studio has put out in the past, a year with just sequels and remakes is rather disappointing.

I saw Detective Pikachu opening day myself, and most of the reactions to the Sonic trailer were groans and "Huh? What?" and other confused exclamations.

Sure, people laughed at the child kidnapping joke, but they were the uncomfortable kinds of laughter.

42 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

...uncomfortable kinds of laughter.

That's some dark humor, huh.

In the midst of all the negative reactions, do you think Paramount notices the overwhelmingly positive response to the few seconds of "actually looks like Robotnik" Carrey at the end of the trailer? Along with lamentations that it'll probably only be at the end of the film?

Like... do they notice when fans respond positively to the better designs? Does that factor into any decisions?

5 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

In the midst of all the negative reactions, do you think Paramount notices the overwhelmingly positive response to the few seconds of "actually looks like Robotnik" Carrey at the end of the trailer? Along with lamentations that it'll probably only be at the end of the film?

Like... do they notice when fans respond positively to the better designs? Does that factor into any decisions?

It factors so much, in fact, that it's the whole reason why they did it that way.  Maybe they weren't planning on Shrek's Donkey leaking that it was just the post-credits scene, so putting it in the trailer was just a way to bring in fans in hopes that it will be more of the movie.  Meamwhile it's at the ending to bait a sequel hook, for a sequel they'll likely spend more to make more accurate.  Such won't happen, though, if not enough people support this first film, so these are effectively shady mind games.

17 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

I'm pretty sure this is them whenever they hear anything positive:
Pops3.thumb.jpg.50633b9a5da8ddbe0097e0c8c5e4da0f.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Not the first time advertisements things that are literally at the end of a movie. Commercials for Astro Boy almost always showed a scene of an alien attack that only appears, literally, in the last 10 seconds or so of the movie.

I had this thought in the statuses, but it's relevant here too, especially since it's just been brought up - I think Paramount knew full well how well received Eggman's "final" design would be, there's a reason why they used him to finish off the trailer after all. It's probably the literal only part of the trailer that's done half-way smartly. However, that still leads to the baffling question - why? Why doesn't Eggman just have this design to begin with? You've been given proof that people prefer the design from the games over the generic as fuck designs you used for Carrey. 

It then occurred to me that we've been presented with a Baby Sonic toy, something that likely appears briefly in the movie. And then it hit me why Carrey takes so many designs in this, other than the obvious "we have no fucking clue what we're doing" explanation - Merchandise. 

There's at the very least - three full designs of Eggman that we know of. There's Black labcoat generic as hell Eggman, there's red sports jacket Eggman, and then there's "actually giving a shit to try look like Eggman" Eggman. In other words - there's three versions of the same character to make action figures, and whatever other merchandise they wish to do so with. This is a practice also commonly used in TV shows, especially those based on games - including design changes for the sake of selling toys, and has been a thing from the 90s.

So it's almost definitely because not only are Paramount just completely out of touch, but looking for more toy designs to try squeeze some more money out of people. That's my theory at least. 

Bald men with glasses, red jackets, and large mustaches are unrealistic. It wouldn't have fit their Vision™.

• Chuckle 4

Don't you know? A colorful cast of fun characters in an animated world just isn't marketable. Everyone knows those never make any money ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DreamSaturn said:

Don't you know? A colorful cast of fun characters in an animated world just isn't marketable. Everyone knows those never make any money ever.

You know what's fucked up?  I wish I could say these filmmakers are way off in terms of understanding what people love in this series, and they are, but with the insidious myth of the Sonic Cycle still haunting Sega's games and giving the supporting cast a raw deal, I can forgive the filmmakers a little more for thinking they aren't important and maybe even that they repel some fans.

Of course, that still doesn't explain or excuse the ugly design choices or poor writing.

12 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

I think Paramount wanted this to be in live-action, hoping they would get a Transformers or TMNT style franchise out of it.

Another reason why I think this was in live-action was to broaden the audience. If it was simply CGI, I think most people would write it off as 'kids stuff' and not want to see it. With a live-action setting, relatable human characters (ugh i hate saying that) and a marketable face like Jim Carrey, older teens and young adults will want to see it too. 

I agree, a CGI movie would have been better.

Unpopular opinion: Michael Bay should have done this. He has experience with live-action/CGI hybrids and his studio Platinum Dunes has made some pretty spectacular visual effects for TMNT & Transformers. Blur Studios, while responsible for Deadpool, has not made a movie with a talking, fully CGI character before. The visuals in the Sonic trailer feel a bit cheap here and there. If Platinum Dunes did the movie, there would have been quite a bit of eye candy, IMO.

But Paramount is also to blame. $90 million is pretty low for a movie of this style. Smurfs, TMNT & Transformers all had budgets of $130-$160 million. A lot of this movie's budget likely went to Carrey's salary. Paramount should have invested more money into this if they wanted it to be a hit.

50 minutes ago, Myst said:

I think Paramount wanted this to be in live-action, hoping they would get a Transformers or TMNT style franchise out of it.

Another reason why I think this was in live-action was to broaden the audience. If it was simply CGI, I think most people would write it off as 'kids stuff' and not want to see it. With a live-action setting, relatable human characters (ugh i hate saying that) and a marketable face like Jim Carrey, older teens and young adults will want to see it too. 

I agree, a CGI movie would have been better.

Unpopular opinion: Michael Bay should have done this. He has experience with live-action/CGI hybrids and his studio Platinum Dunes has made some pretty spectacular visual effects for TMNT & Transformers. Blur Studios, while responsible for Deadpool, has not made a movie with a talking, fully CGI character before. The visuals in the Sonic trailer feel a bit cheap here and there. If Platinum Dunes did the movie, there would have been quite a bit of eye candy, IMO.

But Paramount is also to blame. $90 million is pretty low for a movie of this style. Smurfs, TMNT & Transformers all had budgets of $130-$160 million. A lot of this movie's budget likely went to Carrey's salary. Paramount should have invested more money into this if they wanted it to be a hit.

That might be a holdover from when this movie was still with Sony, actually. I do remember when the movie was "confirmed" it came out that Sony was hoping to make it a trilogy, which, I wouldn't doubt that Paramount wanted even more than that.

7 hours ago, Myst said:

When you say "eye candy"... do you think Megan Fox would start out as Officer Tom's love interest, or would he have to win her first?

Would Sonic actually dry-hump her leg, or just flirt a bit?

• Chuckle 6