Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

2 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

When you say "eye candy"... do you think Megan Fox would start out as Officer Tom's love interest, or would he have to win her first?

Would Sonic actually dry-hump her leg, or just flirt a bit?

I think he means more CGI models and more elaborate ones.  I must say, when I read Shrek's Donkey likening this movie's Badniks to the Bayformers, I was worried--but what we got in this first trailer were even duller than I imagined.  So yes; I think Michael Bay would have improved this movie's visuals, though he sure wouldn't be my first choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thankfully we (me and my partner) didn’t see the trailer in front of Detective Pikachu, but we’re from the UK so...we got lucky there! We liked Detective Pikachu btw. Not great, but it was a fun, cute video game movie which was very faithful to the Pokémon world and of course the Pokémon designs and the way they behaved was great! 

I still think the only positive thing in the Sonic movie will be Jim Carrey hamming it up as...himself. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Myst said:

Unpopular opinion: Michael Bay should have done this. He has experience with live-action/CGI hybrids and his studio Platinum Dunes has made some pretty spectacular visual effects for TMNT & Transformers. Blur Studios, while responsible for Deadpool, has not made a movie with a talking, fully CGI character before. The visuals in the Sonic trailer feel a bit cheap here and there. If Platinum Dunes did the movie, there would have been quite a bit of eye candy, IMO.

But Paramount is also to blame. $90 million is pretty low for a movie of this style. Smurfs, TMNT & Transformers all had budgets of $130-$160 million. A lot of this movie's budget likely went to Carrey's salary. Paramount should have invested more money into this if they wanted it to be a hit.

Here's an idea - how about instead of getting one bad filmmaker to make this over another bad filmmaker, we actually give it to a quality filmmaker that knows what they're doing. Because considering Michael Bay ruined two franchises, and turned them into laughing stocks for years on end, for many of the reasons you just listed, he would probably be just as bad, if not worse. 

And his visual effects have also led to the god-awful CGI Turtles designs that are still mocked to this day.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Absolutely 1

47 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Here's an idea - how about instead of getting one bad filmmaker to make this over another bad filmmaker, we actually give it to a quality filmmaker that knows what they're doing. Because considering Michael Bay ruined two franchises, and turned them into laughing stocks for years on end, for many of the reasons you just listed, he would probably be just as bad, if not worse. 

And his visual effects have also led to the god-awful CGI Turtles designs that are still mocked to this day.

Another unpopular opinion: I liked Bayturtles.

• Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Splash the Otter said:

The trailer showed a desert at one point.

Yea, that was what I was thinking.

BTW, found this.:

I wouldn’t mind if they go back to make Sonic look like this. This design look like Sonic. I wonder why they didn’t go with this in the first place?:

sonic_movie_poster.jpg?w=640

39 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

I wouldn’t mind if they go back to make Sonic look like this. This design look like Sonic. I wonder why they didn’t go with this in the first place?:

sonic_movie_poster.jpg?w=640

Sonic the care bear.

41 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

I wonder why they didn’t go with this in the first place?:

This question seems to crop back up practically every time the design is mentioned in this thread, and for the life of me I'm struggling to imagine what other answers you're expecting to hear besides "corporate greed" and "focus tested stupidity". The people making decisions pretty plainly have no idea what the hell they're doing, because if they did they never would have let it get this far. =V

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Absolutely 2

25 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

This question seems to crop back up practically every time the design is mentioned in this thread, and for the life of me I'm struggling to imagine what other answers you're expecting to hear besides "corporate greed" and "focus tested stupidity". The people making decisions pretty plainly have no idea what the hell they're doing, because if they did they never would have let it get this far. =V

True, I think if they didn’t make Sonic ugly and creepy, there probably wouldn’t be that much negative reactions. Yea, sure, that doesn’t mean the story will be good, but still I will take it with an good looking and cool Sonic over the story with an ugly and creepy Sonic. 

I mean, that design is still not perfect, but it looks a HELL of a lot better than the one we saw in the trailer! At least it seems to capture Sonic’s cute yet cool attitude well enough...but again, it’s not perfect. He’s still too small and his chunky proportions are odd. Though perhaps not as odd (and scary!) as lanky human-like Sonic... *shudder*

Not sure if this is legit or not. Somebody found this storyboard image of Sonic and the owl. I don’t know where this did come from. I found this from Reddit. The person who found this image doesn’t know where it did actually come from.:

0gytl1htfmy21.png

Source

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

It wouldn't be hard to fake it but if that is real it looks like we'll be following the old tradition of the non-sega cast having a different art style.

• Thumbs Up 1

I looked at the Reddit thread and it seems it may have come from 4chan. So, yeah, take that with a mountain of salt.

8 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

It wouldn't be hard to fake it but if that is real it looks like we'll be following the old tradition of the non-sega cast having a different art style.

It looks more like an oversized realistic owl. 

I think the movie will be like Tomb Raider and Resident Evil. It's probably going to ended up a box office success and get a sequel despite negative reviews just like those movies. 

a218f00c19493ef719f23690abfd6d8c.jpgfeatured4.jpg?w=640

BTW,  on the unrelated note, the first Tomb Raider movie and its sequel were distributed by Paramount, which they are the ones distributing the Sonic movie.

• Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, CaptainRobo said:

I think the movie will be like Tomb Raider and Resident Evil. It's probably going to ended up a box office success and get a sequel despite negative reviews just like those movies.

Hell the first Michael Bay TMNT movie got knocked to hell and back for making the Turtles look horrifying, but it still made enough for a sequel (which then finally unperformed.)

I think there's a good chance this doesn't make enough of its money back, especially after the cost of revamping Sonic's design, but who knows, really. There's been enough absolute trash that performed well enough to get at least one sequel, it could totally happen.

Regardless of how bad the movie is, i’ll Probably end my review of the film with “But hey, at least there aren’t any Wisps!” 

• Chuckle 1

26 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Regardless of how bad the movie is, i’ll Probably end my review of the film with “But hey, at least there aren’t any Wisps!” 

They're about to be the one element from the games besides Sonic, Eggman, and the rings.

12 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

I looked at the Reddit thread and it seems it may have come from 4chan. So, yeah, take that with a mountain of salt.

Sonic design matches that pic from last year of Sonic in the director's chair, so I'm gonna say this is probably legit.