Jump to content
Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

Don't you know? A colorful cast of fun characters in an animated world just isn't marketable. Everyone knows those never make any money ever.

I think Paramount wanted this to be in live-action, hoping they would get a Transformers or TMNT style franchise out of it.

Another reason why I think this was in live-action was to broaden the audience. If it was simply CGI, I think most people would write it off as 'kids stuff' and not want to see it. With a live-action setting, relatable human characters (ugh i hate saying that) and a marketable face like Jim Carrey, older teens and young adults will want to see it too. 

I agree, a CGI movie would have been better.

Unpopular opinion: Michael Bay should have done this. He has experience with live-action/CGI hybrids and his studio Platinum Dunes has made some pretty spectacular visual effects for TMNT & Transformers. Blur Studios, while responsible for Deadpool, has not made a movie with a talking, fully CGI character before. The visuals in the Sonic trailer feel a bit cheap here and there. If Platinum Dunes did the movie, there would have been quite a bit of eye candy, IMO.

But Paramount is also to blame. $90 million is pretty low for a movie of this style. Smurfs, TMNT & Transformers all had budgets of $130-$160 million. A lot of this movie's budget likely went to Carrey's salary. Paramount should have invested more money into this if they wanted it to be a hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Myst said:

I think Paramount wanted this to be in live-action, hoping they would get a Transformers or TMNT style franchise out of it.

Another reason why I think this was in live-action was to broaden the audience. If it was simply CGI, I think most people would write it off as 'kids stuff' and not want to see it. With a live-action setting, relatable human characters (ugh i hate saying that) and a marketable face like Jim Carrey, older teens and young adults will want to see it too. 

I agree, a CGI movie would have been better.

Unpopular opinion: Michael Bay should have done this. He has experience with live-action/CGI hybrids and his studio Platinum Dunes has made some pretty spectacular visual effects for TMNT & Transformers. Blur Studios, while responsible for Deadpool, has not made a movie with a talking, fully CGI character before. The visuals in the Sonic trailer feel a bit cheap here and there. If Platinum Dunes did the movie, there would have been quite a bit of eye candy, IMO.

But Paramount is also to blame. $90 million is pretty low for a movie of this style. Smurfs, TMNT & Transformers all had budgets of $130-$160 million. A lot of this movie's budget likely went to Carrey's salary. Paramount should have invested more money into this if they wanted it to be a hit.

That might be a holdover from when this movie was still with Sony, actually. I do remember when the movie was "confirmed" it came out that Sony was hoping to make it a trilogy, which, I wouldn't doubt that Paramount wanted even more than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Myst said:

Unpopular opinion: Michael Bay should have done this. He has experience with live-action/CGI hybrids and his studio Platinum Dunes has made some pretty spectacular visual effects for TMNT & Transformers. Blur Studios, while responsible for Deadpool, has not made a movie with a talking, fully CGI character before. The visuals in the Sonic trailer feel a bit cheap here and there. If Platinum Dunes did the movie, there would have been quite a bit of eye candy, IMO.

When you say "eye candy"... do you think Megan Fox would start out as Officer Tom's love interest, or would he have to win her first?

Would Sonic actually dry-hump her leg, or just flirt a bit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

When you say "eye candy"... do you think Megan Fox would start out as Officer Tom's love interest, or would he have to win her first?

Would Sonic actually dry-hump her leg, or just flirt a bit?

I think he means more CGI models and more elaborate ones.  I must say, when I read Shrek's Donkey likening this movie's Badniks to the Bayformers, I was worried--but what we got in this first trailer were even duller than I imagined.  So yes; I think Michael Bay would have improved this movie's visuals, though he sure wouldn't be my first choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankfully we (me and my partner) didn’t see the trailer in front of Detective Pikachu, but we’re from the UK so...we got lucky there! We liked Detective Pikachu btw. Not great, but it was a fun, cute video game movie which was very faithful to the Pokémon world and of course the Pokémon designs and the way they behaved was great! 

I still think the only positive thing in the Sonic movie will be Jim Carrey hamming it up as...himself. XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Myst said:

Unpopular opinion: Michael Bay should have done this. He has experience with live-action/CGI hybrids and his studio Platinum Dunes has made some pretty spectacular visual effects for TMNT & Transformers. Blur Studios, while responsible for Deadpool, has not made a movie with a talking, fully CGI character before. The visuals in the Sonic trailer feel a bit cheap here and there. If Platinum Dunes did the movie, there would have been quite a bit of eye candy, IMO.

But Paramount is also to blame. $90 million is pretty low for a movie of this style. Smurfs, TMNT & Transformers all had budgets of $130-$160 million. A lot of this movie's budget likely went to Carrey's salary. Paramount should have invested more money into this if they wanted it to be a hit.

Here's an idea - how about instead of getting one bad filmmaker to make this over another bad filmmaker, we actually give it to a quality filmmaker that knows what they're doing. Because considering Michael Bay ruined two franchises, and turned them into laughing stocks for years on end, for many of the reasons you just listed, he would probably be just as bad, if not worse. 

And his visual effects have also led to the god-awful CGI Turtles designs that are still mocked to this day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Here's an idea - how about instead of getting one bad filmmaker to make this over another bad filmmaker, we actually give it to a quality filmmaker that knows what they're doing. Because considering Michael Bay ruined two franchises, and turned them into laughing stocks for years on end, for many of the reasons you just listed, he would probably be just as bad, if not worse. 

And his visual effects have also led to the god-awful CGI Turtles designs that are still mocked to this day.

Another unpopular opinion: I liked Bayturtles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

I wouldn’t mind if they go back to make Sonic look like this. This design look like Sonic. I wonder why they didn’t go with this in the first place?:

sonic_movie_poster.jpg?w=640

 

 

Sonic the care bear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

 I wonder why they didn’t go with this in the first place?:

This question seems to crop back up practically every time the design is mentioned in this thread, and for the life of me I'm struggling to imagine what other answers you're expecting to hear besides "corporate greed" and "focus tested stupidity". The people making decisions pretty plainly have no idea what the hell they're doing, because if they did they never would have let it get this far. =V

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

This question seems to crop back up practically every time the design is mentioned in this thread, and for the life of me I'm struggling to imagine what other answers you're expecting to hear besides "corporate greed" and "focus tested stupidity". The people making decisions pretty plainly have no idea what the hell they're doing, because if they did they never would have let it get this far. =V

True, I think if they didn’t make Sonic ugly and creepy, there probably wouldn’t be that much negative reactions. Yea, sure, that doesn’t mean the story will be good, but still I will take it with an good looking and cool Sonic over the story with an ugly and creepy Sonic. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, that design is still not perfect, but it looks a HELL of a lot better than the one we saw in the trailer! At least it seems to capture Sonic’s cute yet cool attitude well enough...but again, it’s not perfect. He’s still too small and his chunky proportions are odd. Though perhaps not as odd (and scary!) as lanky human-like Sonic... *shudder*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

It wouldn't be hard to fake it but if that is real it looks like we'll be following the old tradition of the non-sega cast having a different art style.

It looks more like an oversized realistic owl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.