Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

49 minutes ago, Myst said:

With the way this movie is rumored to end, a sequel would have game accurate Robotnik, Tails, and take place in Sonic's world. 

Does that really matter? The first thing anybody said about this film was "BAAAAW Live Action" and a sequel to this film does nothing to change that narrative, even if it is more faithful to game established norms. The first thing anyone would say to a follow up would still be "Its still Live Action tho" and the peg would be right back at square one, with the lingering stigma of the first film dragging it down further.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh. As long as the story and special effects are good, I don't care if its in live-action.

• Fist Bump 1

So, I realized that Neal McDonough who played a government major named Bennington was in a video game movie before. It was called Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li. The movie was released in 2009, and of course it was bad and forgotten. It was an box office bomb. He played M. Bison in this.

neal_mcdonough.jpg

latest?cb=20091213233900

latest?cb=20190430212318

• Fist Bump 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

32 minutes ago, Myst said:

With the way this movie is rumored to end, a sequel would have game accurate Robotnik, Tails, and take place in Sonic's world. 

I don't want a sequel though. I want a fresh start that isn't connected to this movie.

• Thumbs Up 6

I haven't been in this thread ever since the trailer was released. Can anyone catch me up on what arguments and stuff have happened since then?

6 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

I haven't been in this thread ever since the trailer was released. Can anyone catch me up on what arguments and stuff have happened since then?

Start on page 380 and read 55 pages.

• Chuckle 2

2 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

•People disparaged Sonic's design; particularly his teeth.  Other issues have been raised, like how few game things are in this, the joke quality, and the bizarre choice of "Gangsta's Paradise" as a trailer theme, but overall Sonic's design attracted the most scorn.  Lots of memes, articles, and trailer downvotes.

•Tim Fowler promised to fix the design.  Discussions arose over whether this movie will need to be delayed to fix it, whether it was even possible, and whether they put a bad-looking Sonic in the trailer on purpose just so they could heed reactions to gain support, and might already have a better model to replace it.

Detective Pikachu released to wide acclaim, further damaging this film's image in comparison.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

•People disparaged Sonic's design; particularly his teeth.  Other issues have been raised, like how few game things are in this, the joke quality, and the bizarre choice of "Gangsta's Paradise" as a trailer theme, but overall Sonic's design attracted the most scorn.  Lots of memes, articles, and trailer downvotes.

•Tim Fowler promised to fix the design.  Discussions arose over whether this movie will need to be delayed to fix it, whether it was even possible, and whether they put a bad-looking Sonic in the trailer on purpose just so they could heed reactions to gain support, and might already have a better model to replace it.

Detective Pikachu released to wide acclaim, further damaging this film's image in comparison.

I mean, I knew all those, but I meant specifically this thread.

On 5/18/2019 at 5:10 AM, Myst said:

I wonder what other songs we will get on the soundtrack. 'Gangsta's Paradise' is already confirmed to be on it. (No, it's not just in the trailer, Paramount confirms it will be on the soundtrack)

What other songs do you guys want to see?

This may sound silly, but what about Coldplay's 'Speed of Sound'? I could picture that playing in the background towards the end of the film, in a montage where Sonic is really experiencing the world for the first time, (having been living alone in the woods for years.) The Grand Canyon, sandy beaches, cities at night, the carnival, all while bonding with his new friend, Tom.

I could see that song working on some of the potential scenes that you have mentioned.

• Fist Bump 1

3 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

I mean, I knew all those, but I meant specifically this thread.

Oddly enough, many of the debates are the same circular ones as were had before the trailer debuted.  Lots of defenses of this movie being minimalist set in our world because it's an origin story, met with rebuttals that this movie still isn't doing everything it could to function as such; for example that Carrey only looks like game Robotnik at the end and his robots look generic.

On 5/18/2019 at 2:10 PM, Myst said:

What other songs do you guys want to see?

Zebrahead's Born To Lose

With lyrics like this it would be a perfect fit:
"They say I live my life too fast, they call me an outcast
Borrowed time and they say that it won't last
Misunderstood, there goes the neighbourhood
Couldn't win even if I should

[Chorus]
Cause I've got a bad reputation
Born to lose in a dying generation
Whoa-Oh I'm lost in translation
I can't win cause I was born to lose
Born to lose
They say I am a reject, they call me a defect
Wasted time, I'm the cause and the effect
Misunderstood, there goes the neighbourhood
Couldn't win even if I should"

• Chuckle 2

Bryan Adams - Run To You

Stray Cats - Built For Speed or Rev It Up and Go. 

Deep Purple - Highway Star

According to the most recent claimed leak on Reddit, there are remixes of both the Sonic 1 and and Generations intro/invincibility/outro themes, and Starlight Zone's theme, and those may well be worthwhile.  If I could choose one thing it would be an extended Crush 40 cover of the Freedom Fighters cartoon theme, though this isn't the most dignified place for that to debut.

The movie will probably be filled with a lot of 90s nostalgia references, just like Bumblebee which had a lot of 80s nostalgia. Eggman had his old name, Robotnik in the movie. Gangsta's Paradise which is an 90s song was used in the trailer. Some of the cast like Ben Schwartz and James Marsden have only played the Classic Sonic games. So, they probably never play or heard the other games like Modern ones. Unlike, Bumblebee, which set in the year, 1987, the movie isn't set in the 90s. You can obviously tell the cars that it's set in present day like these ones.:

toyota2.14.jpg

i001258845.jpg

i001258841.jpg

i001258844.jpg

BTW, I like how they reused the Freightliner truck that Galvatron transformed in Transformers: Age of Extinction which is made and distributed by Paramount. So, Transformers and Sonic set in the same universe?  Lol?

Maybe, it might not contain just 90s nostalgia references to the games. It might contain some references to the Modern ones. I mean since, half of the movie is taking in San Francisco which is where Sonic Adventure 2 have taken some inspiration from, we might get some scenes that could be based on some of the stages like City Escape and Radical Highway. I also see some pyramids in the background, while Sonic getting chased by some drones. It's possible that could be an scene that might be an reference to Pyramid Cave.:

CKrO2bYy_o.jpg

I could imagine an City Escape scene be similar like these. You know a scene of Robotnik's truck flipping up cars and stuff, while trying to take Sonic down in the steep streets of San Francisco.:

Spoiler

This poster is definitely an reference to Speed Highway from Sonic Adventure. We might get an scene based on that in the movie too.:

Spoiler

MV5BZWUyNzhjZWYtMzIzOC00MmE3LWI0NWQtZTI0OGQyYjE5NzM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg2NjQwMDQ@._V1_.jpg

I also feel like the movie might be a bit similar to Bumblebee. Like you know, both movies are set in small fictional towns. Bumblebee is set in Brighton Falls, California, like while the Sonic movie is set in Green Hills, Montana. Both Bumblebee and Sonic come to Earth from space. Both of the main human characters have similar discovery scenes with them.  Both Bumblebee and Sonic ended up becoming friends and get help from their human counterparts.  Also, they both have the government and the main antagonists go after them. 

Also, BTW, if you noticed in the background, you can see some of the men that could possibly be Robotnik's bodyguards. Maybe, we will have an scene of Sonic fighting with them. Also, maybe he owned an security tech company?:

jim759.jpg?w=759&h=422&imflag=true

Also, this scene seen in the end of the trailer, it's possible that this scene could likely be seen as a post-credits scene in the end. He might be likely become Eggman in the potential sequel. Maybe we also likely possibly see Sonic's friends like Tails, Amy, and Knuckles in this scene or probably in the sequel.: Who knows?:

sth01-02-49-18r-1500x844.jpg

On 5/20/2019 at 3:00 AM, CaptainRobo said:

BTW, I like how they reused the Freightliner truck that Galvatron transformed in Transformers: Age of Extinction which is made and distributed by Paramount. So, Transformers and Sonic set in the same universe?  Lol?

Is that the same truck? Aw shit, goin all MCU on us.

Fun little non-easter egg.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Is that the same truck? Aw shit, goin all MCU on us.

Fun little non-easter egg.

Yup. Lol.

transformers-4-freightliner.jpg

i001258844.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

On 5/20/2019 at 7:06 PM, CaptainRobo said:

So, one of the upcoming Godzilla movie actors asking fans to chill about Sonic’s design.:

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/godzilla-star-oshea-jackson-jr-wants-angry-sonic-the-hedgehog-fans-to-chill?amp

On 5/20/2019 at 8:09 PM, DreamSaturn said:

Ah, the age old "Respect their vision" argument. Well, again, the argument that's been used to respond to that: If I made Sonic a drunk, racist alcoholic that swears at children, would people REALLY be wrong to be strongly against that?

And that "just be fans" argument is a croc, too. If you aren't going to respect the source material, of course fans of the source material are going to be angry. Why don't we just ask Sonic Team how well change for the sake of change works?

I personally can respect a creative vision that breaks with what the fandom was partial to, if not necessarily enjoy it, provided that I can perceive what's actually visionary about it.

Looking back on it, Sonic Boom counts as such.  The creators were making a sincere attempt to alter the characters' designs to fit with what their personalities had more or less become in the core series by that time, for whatever that was worth.  It's important to remember that while the original Sonic and Eggman designs are appealing in their own right, they weren't originally designed specifically for the sort of roles they ended up playing in the original games; likewise, the original games' focus was narrow enough that their personalities, along with those of newly created characters, could be little more than trivia.  Spin-offs and the 3D games would change this.  Aside from the obvious animal empathy, Sonic's motives and personality in the original games could be presumed to be almost anything, but he since developed a canon love of adventure for its own sake, so BRB gave him "adventurer" garb.  Tails was initially little more than a Sonic clone who could also fly, but he eventually gained a gadgeteer personality so they gave him goggles and gloves.  Knuckles wasn't in a great position to perform feats of strength in the old games focused more on fast platforming, but later games would diversify into mechanics that more enabled him to do so, thus he got a redesign that buffed him up--well; part of him.  Eggman began as an unfocused whimsical design, got placed into a villain role more-or-less arbitrarily, but evolved into an egotistical imperialist, so they broadened his chest to imply arrogance and gave him a more militaristic outfit.  Amy started as an NPC, became an "urban" character in SA, and got some development into a more athletic character since, so they gave her a less cumbersome outfit and longer limbs.

The choices this movie makes do not seem to display any such vision.  Giving Sonic a more realistic design to convey his super-speed might qualify as a "vision", albeit a controversial one, but nothing about Sonic being "realistic" suggests that his body and mouth have to be shaped like those of humans.  Likewise, nothing about Robotnik, as he is re-conceived in this movie, mandates him not wearing red and having a mustache the whole movie, and the way Carrey is playing him actively suggests he'd be fine making outlandish robots of the sorts he uses in the games, instead of the iDrones we see in the trailer.

No; the sense I get from this project is that it lacks vision, and while that wouldn't be so bad if it was more willing to respect the source material, since it isn't it instead seems to be striving mostly to copy what other movies do, and unfortunately it seems to choose as it's inspiration the sorts of movies that aren't well-liked but are cheap to make.

• Thumbs Up 9

Posting this again, because I don't think not that much people had noticed this. One of the writers make an joke about Sonic's design on his Instagram.:

On 5/19/2019 at 9:57 AM, Scritch the Cat said:

•Tim Fowler 

Did you mean Jeff Fowler?

29 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

Posting this again, because I don't think not that much people had noticed this. One of the writers make an joke about Sonic's design on his Instagram.:

I think most of us did, it's just not entirely relevant anymore :P

BREAKING NEWS:

They are officially delaying the film to February 14th 2020.
  • Thumbs Up 3