Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

So on current scheduling 1 week after Birds of Prey & Peter Rabbit 2. Same week as untitled Kingsman. 1 week before Bloodshot & The Call of The Wild.

Well, it's good that he's at least easing the worries of the crew being overworked.

Not that it means much when they still have yet to sell most people on the rest of the movie, but that's good. Baby steps.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic has gloves. They're going to be making some major changes..

What happens to merchandising now? The designs are going to be completely different 

• Promotion 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

What happens to merchandising now? The designs are going to be completely different 

I could see them rebranding their merch as "Trailer Sonic" and marketing it as something ironic and meme-y and have them plan out a later run of the ACTUAL merch for the movie. It's what I'd do in their shoes.

• Promotion 2
  • Absolutely 2

16 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

Well, it's good that he's at least easing the worries of the crew being overworked.

Not that it means much when they still have yet to sell most people on the rest of the movie, but that's good. Baby steps.

This, Regardless what I think of the movie itself next year,  delay cost a lot of money , I do think the studio has balls to take this huge risk. Respect.

6 minutes ago, PeterPancake said:

Some combo of wrong looking merch gets released because its been made & shipped and merch is on the shelves too early and bargain binned by the time the movie comes out. Both have happened before.

• Thumbs Up 3

14 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

the sense I get from this project is that it lacks vision,

Well good news, not knowing what you want to make is Sonic's exact personality these days.

• Chuckle 4

Happily surprised they’re going to delay the film by four months to fix the design, but it’s probably still too little too late. The story, jokes, and characters all still seem to suck, and to be frank - it shouldn’t have gotten to the point that a massive fan outrage was needed to get them to realise how awful this design was.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/20/2019 at 3:00 AM, CaptainRobo said:

You can obviously tell the cars that it's set in present day like these ones.:

This doesn't really prove that, though. There have been "period" movies that haven't bothered too much with those sorts of details even when the cars are featured front and center. Pain and Gain, for example, pretty explicitly took place in specific parts of 1995 and featured several of this exact same car:

i001258841.jpg&key=8f3d8b2172c7fa0d77eee

Which debuted in 1998 (and went out of production in 2011, so not really "present day" anyway). Nevermind all the guns and shit that were contemporary to the film's release instead of period correct for the mid-1990s. Sometimes it's noticed and the hope is the public won't realize/care. Sometimes that doesn't even happen.

Maybe you could make the argument that Michael Bay is hardly one to sweat the details; but then we're talking about a movie the creative team didn't sweat the "make sure the main character is recognizable" detail until after the public trailer got a horrendous reception.

• Thumbs Up 4

Seriously at best people worrying over his look since he isn't from a game in the film , the best that will happen is D.pika. where regardless if they fix the look the story could flat out be bad like detective pikachu. No look regardless can carry a story

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Some combo of wrong looking merch gets released because its been made & shipped and merch is on the shelves too early and bargain binned by the time the movie comes out. Both have happened before.

So... Then what does Paramount do to promote the real Sonic? They're probably changing the shoes too. The licensing deal with Puma is going out the window. The thing is, changing the design is not a decision made in a box. It has a ripple effect that affects many of the cards set in place. 

They also have to renegotiate their agreement with USPS as well, which they were definitely going to use to promote the movie. Since the Sonic in that pre-rendered spot is not going to be the same in the subsequent trailers or the movie itself. 

I'm interested in seeing how this all plays out. Because the design being as bad as it is, I'm not sure they'd want that representing their product to children and consumers 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Well good news, not knowing what you want to make is Sonic's exact personality these days.

So true it's not even funny.

27 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I already had half a mind to report some of you for having road kill for your icons as is. 

But isn't your avatar technically the only "ghost" in that regard? :P

• Chuckle 1

Fixing Sonic's design won't necessarily make it a better movie, but it'll certainly make it less painful to look at.

• Thumbs Up 8

25 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Seriously at best people worrying over his look since he isn't from a game in the film , the best that will happen is D.pika. where regardless if they fix the look the story could flat out be bad like detective pikachu. No look regardless can carry a story

To be honest, the story isn't really terrible per se. It's just highly clichéd.

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

BREAKING NEWS:

They are officially delaying the film to February 14th 2020.

Had a feeling that they going to delay the film to next year. So, it’s not surprising, but that’s good news. I’m glad to hear about this.

Here’s Ben’s response about the redesign teaser image.:

• Thumbs Up 4

The glove is inticing. Dare they play with our heartstrings like that? Surely they now know any new design sans glove will be burned at the stake.... 

That being said, I've often seen people question the power of this fanbase and it relative size. I think we can put some of those questions to bed considering how it stirred up enough wangst to force a 12th hour redesign. A lot of other franchises fan bases didn't have that kind of pull when Hollywood murdered their expectations. 

• Fist Bump 1

Good. At least the people working on this garbage might not suffer for their work as much.

Movie's still gonna be sewer slop though. 

If the delay post art is whatsoever similar to their new design replacement... Then it is already looking far more like the normal Sonic we all know and love. gloves, bigger hand size and more cartoony shaped limbs. The arms are still blue tho... not that I care either way with that last part really.

Spoiler

D7VzS0FUwAERyYT?format=jpg&name=900x900

So it got moved to feb 14 err? Welp that is fairly close to my birthday... In that case I am going ahead and watch it for sure now. It probably will still end up a lame movie overall... however if the new design actually looks far better, then I can at least enjoy looking at it! Hahaa!

• Thumbs Up 2