Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

14 minutes ago, Witto150 said:

Surprise!! => Sonic's fans hated Modern Sonic because green eyes and different blue shade.

Was this really a thing back then? I never ran into anybody online who complained about this. It was such a minor change that it never bothered me. I only ever felt it gave him more of character to actually have colored irises instead of the bog-standard cartoon black eyes.

The Sonic Boom and this movie design especially however are a LOT more drastic changes. So obviously, feedback is gonna be a lot more vocal. If anything, this movie design feels way more like a parody, a deliberately ugly take on the character.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

...the bog-standard cartoon black eyes.

They were usually brown. A lovely shade.

So Paramount is reaching out to fans to help with the redesign? I'm impressed.

17 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

No, people like consistency. People didn't just like Mania because it was Classic Sonic, they liked it because 1) It was good 2) It builds off a formula that's proven to work. 

I haven't played Mania yet, but I have no doubt it is a good game.

Why is bringing something new seen as bad in Sonic? Sure, it may not be flawless, some bugs here and there, but it's something new to discover. Some new way to look at the universe.

12 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

The movie is bad or the trailer is bad.  Whoever was in charge of this has very little grasp of what makes Sonic appealing to its core demographic, as evidenced by how we only get little glimpses of Robotnik looking like himself and never hear him called that in the trailer, and very little else of what's in the games.  I don't want to be told there are "Easter Eggs"; I want to be shown.

I think the trailer showed Easter Eggs, so it's not just told. Well, it may depends on what is Easter Egg to you. A blurry silhouette that resembles Mickey's head like in Zootopia poster? We can say it's not an easter egg, it can look like a mistake. So, I'm-waiting-checking-time posture from pixel games is not an Easter Egg?

Well, Sonic isn't called in the trailer too. I had no idea who that guy next to Robotnik is, do I hate the trailer for it? Does it make the movie bad? Don't think so.

Well, we know Joker from Batman wasn't always Joker-looking. So, is it bad for pre-Joker to be seen before turning Joker? I don't see it bad. So, Was Eggman/Robotnik always fat, funny clown? He had to look someway ten years ago, teen-like, kid-like... So why not with hair and more lean figure? You don't born totally bald and remain bald. Unless this is some DNA mutation that happened, I don't know.

9 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Robotnik/Eggman is supposed to have motives beyond just wanting to stop Sonic; it's really Sonic who's supposed to try to stop him.  The backstory they wrote, with Sonic having convenient world-warping abilities and electrical powers that cause EMP blasts, rests on factors that aren't even in the games.  

Well, some fans will argue "Dr. Eggman is just evil and that is fine! Stop with the backstory nonsense! He just needs to be 2D evil!". The warping ability is done by a ring that is based on rings that take you into a special zone, so it's no not-in-game item. So, because the factors aren't in the game they are "bad" or too far from the "truth"?

Doesn't Game Sonic have some run-at-the-speed-of-sound convenient speed? He just has it. I think the movie may try to explain or provide a spin on how and why Sonic can run so fast. It can be fun.

45 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Was this really a thing back then? I never ran into anybody online who complained about this. It was such a minor change that it never bothered me. I only ever felt it gave him more of character to actually have colored irises instead of the bog-standard cartoon black eyes.

The Sonic Boom and this movie design especially however are a LOT more drastic changes. So obviously, feedback is gonna be a lot more vocal. If anything, this movie design feels way more like a parody, a deliberately ugly take on the character.

Tell me about it! I got into Sonic late in the game. Like 5 years ago, I guess. One user under my Positive Sonic Movie post said Modern Sonic was hated after introduction. I asked why, and green eyes and a different shade of blue was the answer. I find it very puzzling.

Why do you mean "A LOT" - Taller, blue arms, different shade of blue (perhaps?), a scarf that is barely visible (it can work in place of fluff people like on Shadow and Silver), and some sports tape - seems like cosmetic changes. In all honesty, when people complained about blue arms, I had to check Modern Sonic to see if he had them or not XD

Many people find this Movie Design cute, fluffy, and charming (we talk on Tumblr about it and have nice headcanons). The style itself is solid, may just use some cosmetic changes (bigger eyes, iris shape). It's funny how people seeing the pre-screening liked the movie in 7/10 cases and mentioned how Sonic looked different but similar too. If this feedback was positive, why would they consider changing the design to mirror games?

45 minutes ago, Myst said:

So Paramount is reaching out to fans to help with the redesign? I'm impressed.

Well, I hope it won't end up with 110% Games Rip-off. I mean, it's nice and all. But 100% Game Sonic in real-life would look too off.

And you know what... Even if it would be the case, I would still go watching it. To see with my own two eyes! To create my own opinion after seeing the movie in action. 

I wouldn't go bashing their decision! I wouldn't go downvoting their hard work. I wouldn't go attacking people who want to watch it. Unfortunately, the last point is what people hating this design just do. I saw it, and it's sad.

Also, this is worth the note. I deleted the name to be on the safe side. But this person is right. The 100% game design was "proven to look off" by the fans themselves 😉

Twitter_01.png.0c8469a616fe59ac08dd46ae6c3f2424.pngI

1 hour ago, Witto150 said:

I haven't played Mania yet, but I have no doubt it is a good game.

Why is bringing something new seen as bad in Sonic? Sure, it may not be flawless, some bugs here and there, but it's something new to discover. Some new way to look at the universe.

I can only speak for myself, but bringing something new just for the sake of being new, while it going against everything previously established, is a stupid idea.

Just because it's unique doesn't make it good either.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Witto150 said:

So, what would you like to see in the movie? Random Monitors with boosts? The badniks would be sweet, I'll admit that. Weirdly textured ground? Springs hidden in the grass so anybody could be shooted to their death/or vacation in a hospital? Loop de Loops nobody but Sonic can travel through? Speed boosters? I mean - what else was in the game? Many random animals that can talk? At least, in Comics they talked, not sure if in games.

I don't know, but hub worlds and human cities across the game looked ordinary but still pretty. I mean, you could easily find the inspiration in the real world. City Escape stage had decently looking town if I remember right. The grass in stages was green as in the real world, the water was blue, the clouds were white and so on.

How could any game exclusive item work in the real human world? I'm not sarcastic, I'm seriously curious.

I'd like to see more characters than just Sonic and Eggman. At this point I'd settle for Big or Rouge, and I can't stand them normally.

1 hour ago, Tarnish said:

I can only speak for myself, but bringing something new just for the sake of being new, while it going against everything previously established, is a stupid idea.

While I agree at the last point, you can easily say it can mean the decision to bring Tails (new thing) was bad? If we want to be really nitpicking, any new element = booster, enemy, character and so on, could mean a bad thing. If the 1st game established Sonic Vs. Eggman, why to change it to Sonic + Tails Vs. Eggman?

What purpose Tails has in single player? From what I remember when trying the game, Tails was more like there for " an aesthetic purpose". I kinda thought he could save you once per level (or a few times at least) from falling into a bottomless pit. But no. And people often mentioned Tails got killed all the time when following Sonic (but hey, no AI is perfect) 🙂 You could play only as Sonic, or add Tails in co-op. But for the main game, he was "basically useless". Maybe you can play as Tails in some newest port, I dunno.

So, why adding co-op? Platformers were always single-player game, so wouldn't this be seen as straying from the established formula? Well, at least during that time I doubt it was a regular feature.

Do you have anything specific that "goes against everything already established" on mind? All I can think of now are wisps (only because people hate them for being wisps). The boost wisp is in my opinion quite handy and better. The original boost was to get rings = boost. So as long you got rings, you could boost, so even though the whole level. but with Wisp, you can't use rings to refill it. So getting the next wisp capsule is important if you want to boost. It may require better timing.

The other thing about boost is... you can ignore it. If you hate it, just don't boost. The game will remain the same, or not?

And I think Wispons are in Forces because normal weapons + Sonic is hated by fans. So, they changed the concept a bit. For me, wisps are quite handy in the game. They are a way to discover a new pathway. You can pick the one you like the most or that will help you to get the Red Star Ring 😉

Sorry, if I sound absurd or aggressive, but when you hear fans going "BURN IT" and "TSR is bad!" before the release, I can't help but be "absurd" and nitpicking too ^_^;

27 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

I'd like to see more characters than just Sonic and Eggman. At this point I'd settle for Big or Rouge, and I can't stand them normally.

Well, but that goes against the premise and plot - in the first game where we had only Sonic and Eggman and everybody was fine with it. Because, nobody else existed, so nobody complained there aren't more hedgehogs to play with. Now we have wide cast and fans go...

• Fans: We want more playable characters! Not just Sonic!
  • Comes Heroes.
  • Fans: So bad! We want to play as Sonic only!
  • Unleashed...
  • Fans: So bad! Are you stupid! The planet has gotten shattered and no Knuckles or Shadow in sight?! Not even Silver to complain to Sonic he again made a bad future?

I think you get the picture of how it goes in this fandom... It's really sad 😞

But hey, if the first movie does well, it means a chance to see the rest or part of the cast in CGI, not just 3D models for the game. Take Sonic X Season 3. If it wasn't for the support from fans, it would never exist. For me, season 3 was the better part of the anime. I also liked the game adaptations, but season 3 had a more complex story, and I liked that. Some original episodes were fine too, I liked the humor and puns 🙂

32 minutes ago, Witto150 said:

Well, but that goes against the premise and plot - in the first game where we had only Sonic and Eggman and everybody was fine with it. 🙂

This isn't an adaptation of the first game, this is a vague prequel to it in an AU. And since they're not taking anything else from Sonic 1, why would that even matter? 

Your movie developers were so preoccupied with whether they could that they didn't think about whether or not they should.

While you definitely can answer questions nobody ever asked. (I really wanted to know where Sonic got his shoes at), maybe you shouldn't do that for the first big movie Sonic gets? Save the wacky expiriments for a direct to video special or something.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Witto150 said:

To sum it up - You don't like it. Okay. Be civil about it. Don't go bashing it. See what is okay, and what not. Present your opinion in a civil way. Even the "so-called trash design" has some work behind it. I don't like Mario, and I don't go how ten-rated human-like he is. I let people enjoy him for what he is. Do the same 😉

I'm going to continue bashing it because it's a bad design that should've never been greenlit.

And I don't care if work went into it, that's a given. You can put all the work in the world into a school project and still have it be terrible and get a well deserved F.

Effort =/= Quality

Just because it's new doesn't mean it's worthwhile. In fact, most "new" things Sonic has tried have been complete flops. If fans can tell from a few seconds that Sonic 4 plays nothing like the Classics, then I don't see how it's unreasonable for fans to deduce that something sucks based on a trailer that makes it look terrible, a plot synopsis, casting, leaked merch, and quite a lot more to work off of than what fans had for Sonic 4.

• Thumbs Up 5

Even the "so-called trash design" has some work behind it.

If we used the "HEY, someone put some work into that!" argument as a reason to avoid criticism, you couldn't criticise a damn thing.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, if the criticism would be less "Bleh - green eyes! Burn it!" or "Blue arms - YOU KILLED SONIC", I would think about Sonic's fandom "critique" in a more positive way. How's that a criticism? Criticisms about being civil and say what you like and dislike. If you like nothing, say it "I don't like how it looks" no "BURN IT!". But it may be just me, being polite and trying to remain polite no matter what.

Tone policing doesn't make your argument any better, and trying to pull this "just be polite and respectful like me! uwu" attitude while deliberately misrepresenting the criticism against the movie as nothing but shrieking anger is transparently dishonest. There's plenty of reasoned, detailed criticism of Sonic's design and the movie in general, whether or not you've bothered to look for it and whether or not it's phrased as politely as you insist it be.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

29 minutes ago, Witto150 said:

Well, but that goes against the premise and plot - in the first game where we had only Sonic and Eggman and everybody was fine with it. Because, nobody else existed, so nobody complained there aren't more hedgehogs to play with. Now we have wide cast and fans go...

• Comes Heroes.
  • Fans: So bad! We want to play as Sonic only!
  • Unleashed...
  • Fans: So bad! Are you stupid! The planet has gotten shattered and no Knuckles or Shadow in sight?! Not even Silver to complain to Sonic he again made a bad future?

I think you get the picture of how it goes in this fandom... It's really sad 😞

Gee, it's almost like we aren't a hive mind! What a concept!

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Witto150 said:
  • Comes Heroes.🙂

Wow. They said that in response to the two previous games that both had a half dozen playable characters?

The answer is no, "they" didn't, because I was on this forum before Heroes came out and no one was saying that.

For that matter:

6 hours ago, Witto150 said:
  • Surprise!! => Sonic's fans hated Modern Sonic because green eyes and different blue shade. Everything else was pretty accurate. How so?

I was on this forum when GREEN EYES turned into a humongous self-hating fandom meme, too (perpetuated abroad by people writing for gaming websites who couldn't get their mouth off of Sonic 4's dick); and that also wasn't what was being said then either.

• Thumbs Up 7

5 hours ago, Tarnish said:

2 hours ago, Witto150 said:

While I agree at the last point, you can easily say it can mean the decision to bring Tails (new thing) was bad? If we want to be really nitpicking, any new element = booster, enemy, character and so on, could mean a bad thing. If the 1st game established Sonic Vs. Eggman, why to change it to Sonic + Tails Vs. Eggman

I believe you're missing Tarnish's point: "New" isn't automatically good OR bad. It's just new. Every idea, good or bad, started once as 'new'.

The most important thing is quality, not trying to be original.

Tails was elegantly designs. His color design, character and powers fit and complement Sonic and his franchise.
Silver in comparison was attempt to cash on 'woo, new cool hedgehog' and new physics. I like him more than Tails , but obvioulsly no one really considered how telekinesis would work with speed platforming (long story short, it kinda doesn't).
And then there is Black Doom, who doesn't look like Sonic character, has terribly one-note personality and generic powers, motivations and everything else. But hey, in 2005 he was 'new', right?

14 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I believe you're missing Tarnish's point: "New" isn't automatically good OR bad.

Yes, so we have to try it, to see how it works. So, each game brings something new to test the possibilities. That's why I said, "it could mean a bad thing". I thought it suggests it can be good or bad ^_^;

15 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

And then there is Black Doom, who doesn't look like Sonic character, has terribly one-note personality and generic powers, motivations and everything else. But hey, in 2005 he was 'new', right?

I thought Dr. Eggman is preferred to be 2D evil too? At least, that's what I got from some responses. And aren't BD's powers Chaos-based just like Shadow's? I mean, Shadow has BD's DNA so it makes sense if Shadow can teleport so BD or throw some Chaos balls and co. I just don't remember hearing/seeing Shadow'S powers being called generic. Or is the hive-mind generic idea?

So, how do you think BD should look to fit in?

15 minutes ago, Witto150 said:

Yes, so we have to try it, to see how it works. So, each game brings something new to test the possibilities. That's why I said, "it could mean a bad thing". I thought it suggests it can be good or bad ^_^;

No we don't. Even just beyond this nearly 443 page threat, fans, non-fans, casual onlookers, the creators of Sonic, several people who work at or have worked at Sega, have stated loud and clear that it doesn't work and have given an extensive list of reasons why.

We don't owe them a chance. They're a company that's making a product that they have to convince us is worth our money, and they're failing to do so.

• Thumbs Up 4

33 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

No we don't. Even just beyond this nearly 443 page threat, fans, non-fans, casual onlookers, the creators of Sonic, several people who work at or have worked at Sega, have stated loud and clear that it doesn't work and have given an extensive list of reasons why.

We don't owe them a chance. They're a company that's making a product that they have to convince us is worth our money, and they're failing to do so.

So, what do you suggest? What is the right direction for the majority? For you?

Are the people from pre-screening saying - Sonic looked good, different, but recognizable. The plot was enjoyable, nice action, and storytelling. - fake? Were they bad example from fans and non-fans? Why the pre-screening when it actually even doesn't matter.

3 minutes ago, Witto150 said:

So, what do you suggest? What is the right direction for the majority? For you?

Definitely not this movie.

Sonic is only recognizable if you boil it down to the most broad of details, "They're both blue! They both wear red shoes!" Okay, but that doesn't make for a good adaptation because for one, completely changing the look of the character to the point where it just barely resembles the character it's supposed to represent, is not good.

As for what I personally would want, other people, including myself have stated countless times that a fully animated movie would've been much better. Hell, Sega even owns a damn animation studio (and it's not like they're unproven talent, either).

If you truly didn't get that, you just weren't paying attention. Despite us going over this countless times over the course of this thread.

• Thumbs Up 4

7 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

As for what I personally would want, other people, including myself have stated countless times that a fully animated movie would've been much better.

Well, so if fully 3D is better - does it mean this hybrid Movie plot works better in the 3D? Would it be accepted by fans? It's hard to think 3D is all it needs when so many people shout - It's going to suck even with the redesign! After "asking" for the redesign "to make the movie better".

Or what plot you, as a fanbase, wants? I'm finding the origin an interesting.

And this may seem off-topic, but Ratchet and Clank have 3D movie, with a plot I enjoyed (never played the games), yet it seems it failed so miserably it resulted in canceling Sly Cooper fully 3D movie in 2016 was supposed to be air. I found the teaser trailer on YT, and after digging around a bit, this info was often mentioned. On wikipedia, is mentioned a TV series to come out in October 2019 and the possibility of the movie airing/getting finished after the release.

So, does fully 3D would convince people it's a great movie? 

And if the majority of fans shouted - fully 3D is better, and the majority of fans shouted - we want Sonic using guns/weapons - why was the reaction so negative (when majority wanted it? Or it was just a handful of them?) when Shadow got guns and Sonic sword (even before people playing the games)? I can't just wrap my head around this.

2 minutes ago, Witto150 said:

Well, so if fully 3D is better - does it mean this hybrid Movie plot works better in the 3D? Would it be accepted by fans? It's hard to think 3D is all it needs when so many people shout - It's going to suck even with the redesign! After "asking" for the redesign "to make the movie better".

This plot probably would suck in any situation, but yeah, a fully animated movie where Sonic actually looks like Sonic would definitely be less repulsive to look at.

3 minutes ago, Witto150 said:

Or what plot you, as a fanbase, wants? I'm finding the origin an interesting.

While I don't necessarily want a straight adaptation of something like Sonic Adventure, Sonic  has a ton of world, characters, and lore to draw from. It's not impossible to come up with something that's at least interesting, as opposed to just "Sonic X, but live action, and worse".

4 minutes ago, Witto150 said:

And this may seem off-topic, but Ratchet and Clank have 3D movie, with a plot I enjoyed (never played the games), yet it seems it failed so miserably it resulted in canceling Sly Cooper fully 3D movie in 2016 was supposed to be air. I found the teaser trailer on YT, and after digging around a bit, this info was often mentioned. On wikipedia, is mentioned a TV series to come out in October 2019 and the possibility of the movie airing/getting finished after the release.

So, does fully 3D would convince people it's a great movie?

What you also failed to mention is that they failed to market the movie, like, at all, so that definitely didn't help. You can't just drop a movie into theaters and expect it to get amazing returns, that's not how it works.

5 minutes ago, Witto150 said:

And if the majority of fans shouted - fully 3D is better, and the majority of fans shouted - we want Sonic using guns/weapons - why was the reaction so negative (when majority wanted it? Or it was just a handful of them?) when Shadow got guns and Sonic sword (even before people playing the games)? I can't just wrap my head around this.

For one, the majority of people didn't want Sonic or anyone to use guns. Kids sent in letters to Sega asking for that, sure, but there's a reason they created Gamma specifically for that, because it doesn't fit Sonic as a character. And for two, just because people want something doesn't mean they should accept it if the execution is bad. A lot of people wanted another game like Sonic Adventure, and they got Sonic 2006. That game was terrible, but they asked for more Sonic Adventure, so does that mean you think they should accept it?

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

For one, the majority of people didn't want Sonic or anyone to use guns. Kids sent in letters to Sega asking for that, sure, but there's a reason they created Gamma specifically for that, because it doesn't fit Sonic as a character.

So, it probably was a lot of kids playing Sonic games. 

4 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

What you also failed to mention is that they failed to market the movie, like, at all, so that definitely didn't help. You can't just drop a movie into theaters and expect it to get amazing returns, that's not how it works.

I saw that movie a few weeks ago, so I have no idea what the situation was around that time, just read it failed, not much reason was given in the comments.