Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

It won't, and I feel pretty safe in saying that. As I said, movies aim for the biggest and broadest audience they can, and fans of the franchise only make up a small percentage of that audience. There will be many people in that audience that don't know who Sonic is, that haven't played the games, that haven't seen the comics or the cartoons etc. It will be an origin story, or a first story even if it lacks real origins.

I would very much like to hear of any first time movie (released at cinemas for a broad audience, not direct to DVD types like the Mass Effect one etc) based on a pre-existing game or TV series or book or anything that wasn't an origin type story, that didn't introduce the main characters first and setup the world they live in. Cause I can't think of one. Even popular ones that have huge fan followings start at the beginning.

You have a very valid point there, honestly now I can't picture a follow up to Sonic's main canon without covering the issues you mention, hopefully if they are going to retell stories based on the Genesis era or the Adventure games I hope they will be able to give them some fresh new twists to them for them to be as exciting to newcomers as well as to long time fans.

I still say a short Stan Lee style cameo for the Freedom Fighters would be fun to see in the film. But hey, to each their own.

I would actually be ok with this.  A couple of "wandering characters" in the background as dialogue happens in the foreground between Sonic and another main character.  Kinda like a Wheres Waldo/Derpy Hooves scenario.  Just a small little acknowledgement for fans of SatAM and Archie.  And if this idea does happen, I hope the design team goes with the classic Freedom Fighter models instead of the recent redesigns.

I hope we get a Comic-Con typicle teaser poster for the Sonic movie.

Here's hoping. Even if a trailer's not ready, I hope they'll disclose SOMETHING about the film there.

A release year, perhaps? Can we at least get that? D:

• Thumbs Up 3

Even some concept art? Anything at all, I will absolutely eat it up.

I'm down for that too.

Seeing what this film will look like is really the key point right now... while there's the CHANCE that a live action hybrid could look good, the record's against the idea. Whether footage or just concepts, it would help to know what we can expect in graphic terms.

• Thumbs Up 2

I watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes this saturday.  A film that perfectly blends live action and CG.  So if the Sonic movie crew can incorporate that type of passion into its production, it could be a success.  

• Thumbs Up 2

I watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes this saturday.  A film that perfectly blends live action and CG.  So if the Sonic movie crew can incorporate that type of passion into its production, it could be a success.  

It helps that the CG in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes can have a more realistic style. That's impossible to do with Sonic unless they plan on making him look more realistic. And god help us all if that's the plan.

Also, I wouldn't except any for this movie at Comic Con, or even this year, aside from maybe news about casting or who the director is. Or maybe even the next year for that matter. Movie announcements aren't like game announcements: they're often done very early before even any work is done. So I'd be surprised if there's anything to show at this point.

Continuing to pray for Wreck-It Ralph-style humans. Dear God, continuing to pray.

We either get Progressive Commercial-style, where it would be really hard to take any film seriously if it's not meant to be a comedy, or super realistic Sonic, which

sonic_the_realhog_by_arvalis-d5sr701.jpg

Ahhhhhhh!

Yeah, I'm legit scared. I really hope we get some idea of what this will look like before the year's over.

Continuing to pray for Wreck-It Ralph-style humans. Dear God, continuing to pray.

I don't see how that's possible since its a CGI/live-action hybrid. Unless you mean in Sonic Boom, which is possible, but for this the humans will probably be real humans playing the roles.

The most obvious and likely implpication of it being a live action film is that they'll use actual people to fill the roles of human characters. I can't see it being real locations and a completely CG cast.

The most obvious and likely implpication of it being a live action film is that they'll use actual people to fill the roles of human characters. I can't see it being real locations and a completely CG cast.

I think Ogilvie means plot-wise, with the human world and the video game world being kept completely separate like in Wreck-It Ralph.

You know I could dig the CG and Live Action mix going well if the Progressive Commercial is anything to go by. Not even the part where Sonic see's through his eyes but the actual blend. That model worked pretty well but I guess he was just running in a white room/space so it wasn't too bad. But still I loved that progressive commercial and thought him next to the Humans didn't look too bad, it's only story wise I'm concerned about- that's when it might become a problem (with me at least) because I don't like having that human that's supposed to be where we the viewer connect with- I normally don't like these character Examples Chris from Sonic X and Elise from 06'. 

That'll be my only big gripe and even then as long as they aren't the focus or big factors of story. But the general mix of Humans and CGI doesn't seem like it'll be that bad unless they are interacting all the time, in which it'll become really noticeable. 

I don't know maybe it's just me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see how that's possible since its a CGI/live-action hybrid. Unless you mean in Sonic Boom, which is possible, but for this the humans will probably be real humans playing the roles.

I think Ogilvie means plot-wise, with the human world and the video game world being kept completely separate like in Wreck-It Ralph.

Indeed, that's what I meant.

Well then... eww. Just eww.

I really hope this film is meant to be a comedy. Otherwise I'm not going to be able to take it seriously.

Like seriously, has anyone here watched a SyFy film? The CGI monster can never be taken seriously, and it's gotten to a point where even SyFy is starting to brand their films like Sharknado comedy horror from the start.

Of course, also fearing "human protagonist is introduced and takes over the plot" syndrome.

To be fair, SyFy films are in an entirely different genre than what the Sonic film is going to be- B-Movie Horrors- and on a significantly lower budget to boot. It's not exactly an apt comparison, especially given how wide the "live-action/CGI" medium actually is both blatantly and technically.

To be fair, SyFy films are in an entirely different genre than what the Sonic film is going to be- B-Movie Horrors- and on a significantly lower budget to boot. It's not exactly an apt comparison, especially given how wide the "live-action/CGI" medium actually is both blatantly and technically.

Oh, that's true, I just am fearful that's what it will remind me of if they try to be serious with the plot when Sonic's his usual cartoony self and the humans are all realistic.

Of course, any comedy has at least one serious dramatic moment, so if this film goes for comedy, I'm sure the real comedy will come in the scene where a CGI cartoon tries to comfort a human.

You know I could dig the CG and Live Action mix going well if the Progressive Commercial is anything to go by. Not even the part where Sonic see's through his eyes but the actual blend. That model worked pretty well but I guess he was just running in a white room/space so it wasn't too bad. But still I loved that progressive commercial and thought him next to the Humans didn't look too bad, it's only story wise I'm concerned about- that's when it might become a problem (with me at least) because I don't like having that human that's supposed to be where we the viewer connect with- I normally don't like these character Examples Chris from Sonic X and Elise from 06'. 

That'll be my only big gripe and even then as long as they aren't the focus or big factors of story. But the general mix of Humans and CGI doesn't seem like it'll be that bad unless they are interacting all the time, in which it'll become really noticeable. 

Completely agreed, the comercial doesn't look that bad, yeah it was made in a completely white and clean area but then again it was made with a comercial budget, I'm not especting big redesigns for Sonic in the movie but perhaps a more detailed texture, with more color gradients and perhaps some mapped fur like if it were slicked hair, not actuall fur.

• Thumbs Up 1

Urgh. No comedy for pete's sake, it will end up like Smurfs sad.png

Also, Sony Pictures sucks at comedy

The company isn't necessarily indicative of the quality. For example: while The Smurfs came from Sony Pictures, so did Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Why one movie is an bad cash-in and the other is one of the funniest CG movies so far is because of the people involved, not the company. So for example, in this case:

The Smurfs was directed by Raja Gosnell, who also directed Beverly Hills Chihuahua and the live action Scooby Doo movies, and written by people who also wrote Daddy Day Camp. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs on the other hand was written and directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller, the creators of Clone High. They also later went on the write and direct The LEGO Movie.

Yeah it really comes down to how competent/skilled the people working on the project are.

Genuine question: When an animation/live action hybrid is mentioned, does that typically imply that the latter makes up a large chunk or even a majority of the movie?

I'm wondering if the use of live action in the movie would mainly just be restricted to portraying the more realistic locations that the series has already used; like, for instance, filming in San Francisco for a City Escape-like sequence or in New York for a scene in "Station Square." I could also see humans being used for characters like the G.U.N. Commander or the President from SA2. However, all of the other more fantastical areas as well as the main cast (including Dr. Eggman) would be fully animated.

I'm not sure if that's what they're actually going for, but I would be okay with that kind of balance.

I imagine Live Action/Animation hybrid would be like what we've seen in Chipmunks, Transformers, the upcoming TMNT movie, etc.

• 7 months later...

Could use more people like that who aren't so easily jimmy-rustled by the mere presence of live-action.

You know what I'd like to see in the Sonic Movie? A serious vibe.

Sonic was never wacky and goofy, IMO. The games in the Genesis era I always interpreted as having dark undertones, which is part of what drew me to Sonic in the first place, and why I stuck with the franchise for most of my life, while growing out of other kid stuff. (Seriously, turning Sonic's friends into machines and wanting the whole world to bow before him? That's kinda grim when you think about it. Zones like Scrap Brain and Stardust Speedway were a glimpse of what the world would be like under Robotnik's rule)
You weren't saving a Princess from a dragon, the hills and clouds didn't have eyeballs, and it wasn't coated in cuteness like the Mario games. The music was fast, frantic and in some instances, intense, helping set the mood that this isn't some whimsical, Disney-like adventure. (Final Zone, Doomsday Zone, Death Egg boss and Chemical Plant are good examples) this continued in later games like the Sonic Adventure series with Final Egg, Prison Lane, Red Mountain Type 2, Chaos Ver. 6, Radical Highway, Cannon's Core Type 2, Team Dark's theme in Sonic Heroes, Biolizard's theme, etc. etc. etc.)

The comics and SatAM also used a more dramatic and serious tone. (Though I've long since grown out of those, thanks to spotlight-stealing Sally and its focus on furry romance that in all seriousness felt like a

soap-opera)

The Adventure series had stuff like a massive beast destroying an ancient village, wiping out all of its people in the process, while flames are seen all over the place. He is  reawakened after a thousand years and completely levels a modern day city in a Noah-esque flood. A red sky covers the landscape of the destroyed city as the beast roars ominously. Pretty dark stuff right there.

There's never been a fart joke in the almost 25 years Sonic has existed, and that's kind of amazing, when you think about how many kids shows and cartoons dumb themselves down and use fart jokes incessantly.

It sucks that games like Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2006 exist, becuase those games just make people think 'See, Sonic can't be serious, or it comes out ridiculous and stupid' Those games were flawed for much bigger reasons than its tone. I believe a dramatic, serious take on Sonic can be done well. Just don't needlessly toss guns and cuss words in to seem 'hardcore' don't have Powerman5000 screaming in my ears. Don't be 'badass' for the sake of being badass. Come up with a good, dramatic story with character development, action and danger, toss in some bits of humor to keep an upbeat tone that doesn't make the movie feel grim.

I loved the Dark Side story of Sonic Adventure 2. Shadow was a fully-fleshed out character. There was emotion between him and Maria (and Rouge) we got to hear Eggman talk about his childhood, something that made him feel like a real person. Characters actually died, but it was core to the story and helped add depth to Shadow and Eggman. Do the movie in that tone. Have Sonic be his usual cocky self, but thrust into a big dramatic adventure where the stakes are high and lives are at risk.

Make Eggman a legitimate villain. It pains me to see how low this character has stooped. He's a complete joke now. His own creations mock him. His whole motiviation it seems is just to kill Sonic. He doesn't really have elaborate plans anymore. And the ones he does have are goofy and silly, like using an outer-space theme park to lure people in and kidnapping adorable aliens to hypontize people.

In my mind, Eggman would be a damaged person, who only cares for technlogy, and is driven by revenge over his Grandfather's death, and his terrible childhood. He would still be a narassist, perhaps having statues of himself in his lair.

I know some will disagree with me on this, but I think he should be half-machine. Perhaps an accident as a child caused him to lose an arm, and Gerald built him a robotic one? It would instill Eggman's love for his Grandfather and his obsession with machines. It would also make him a powerful foe. (Imagine a semi-defeated Eggman crawling out of a damaged robot and fighting Sonic hand-to-hand at the end of the movie) Maybe his arm could work like that doohickey he's got on his arm in Sonic Boom. He'd have total control over all machines with it.

Kinda embarrassed to admit this, but I would like to see some Sonic+Amy stuff. I think that would be a good emotional weight to the movie. One of the reasons I like the Sonic+Amy romance is it doesn't beat itself over the viewers head with DRAMA! the way Sonic+Sally's relationship does. Sonic and Sally are always breaking up and getting back together, Sonic is either panicking over Sally's life being at danger, or the two are fighting, then patching things up.

With Sonic+Amy, it's interesting becuase there's a humorous element to it. Amy's always trying to get Sonic's attention, while Sonic acts like he doesn't care about Amy at all, making the scenes where he DOES shows interest in her have an emotional payoff, like in Episode 9 of Sonic X, when he was seen wearing Amy's bracelet at the end of the episode, (which was previously broken by Eggman's robot.) A piece of string is seen holding it together, showing that Sonic actually took the time to repair it. That was a major 'Awwww!' moment. At no time did Sonic outright say 'I love you' to Amy, at no time did Sonic and Amy makeout, the romance was all subtly implied.

Moving on, I think Sonic should use rings as a weapon. He would still use his spindash of course, but I can picture a scene where him and Metal are racing/fighting, and Sonic is dodging blades or some other projectile that Metal is tossing at him, by tossing rings at him. Maybe Tails could invent a device on Sonic's glove that automatically generates rings. Maybe toss in some exposition by Tails that rings are genetically unstable and liable to blow, so that when Sonic tosses a ring at one of Eggman's robots, it's similar to say, tossing a grenade.  

Also, the magnetic pull rings had in Knuckles Chaotix, use that. Maybe have Sonic toss a ring up a skyscraper, it latches itself onto a gargoyle or something, then Sonic grabs another ring and is magnetically pulled to the rooftop.

Lastly, I want these movies to be sortof an origin for Sonic and his friends. I want to see Sonic meet Tails for the first time and establish a brotherly bond between them. Maybe they'd have a Donkey/Shrek relationship. Sonic first sees Tails as an annoyence, but by the film's end, finally opens up to him. I want Knuckles to initially be a foe like in Sonic 3 and only become an ally at the end of the movie.

AND USE THE ROBOTNIK NAME AGAIN! Seriously, I hate the name Eggman. Yeah, I get it, that's his original name in Japan, but it's still incredibly stupid. How can you take a guy who calls himself Eggman seriously? Ugh.

Anyway, that's just what I'd like to see.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what I'd like to see in the Sonic Movie? A serious vibe.

Sonic was never wacky and goofy

Here is promotional artwork for Sonic 2. 

SonicArt3.jpg

Please point out the serious vibe.

I have a whole series of these in the back.

• Thumbs Up 1