Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

9 minutes ago, DreamSaturn said:

The problem with the movie is the very concept. Just as a band-aid won't heal a broken arm, a simply design fix won't fix a movie that's doomed to fail. The only way to truly "fix" this movie now is to scrap everything and start over from scratch. Maybe get better writers this time.

For all of this film’s faults, I’d suggest knocking off this suggestion. Time and money has been invested into this, making a redo very costly, no matter the eventual failure of the film. That’s why the film will run it’s course and release the way it’s already designed to be, a fact that has to be acknowledged. A redesign is simple enough, but a completely redone film is too much to ask.

21 minutes ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

For all of this film’s faults, I’d suggest knocking off this suggestion. Time and money has been invested into this, making a redo very costly, no matter the eventual failure of the film. That’s why the film will run it’s course and release the way it’s already designed to be, a fact that has to be acknowledged. A redesign is simple enough, but a completely redone film is too much to ask.

Then there is no way to "fix" the movie. If Paramount insists on putting out a nightmare, well, just another addition to the ever growing pile of crap this franchise already has, I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 2

I could be mistaken, but didn't they say they were planning on "fixing" the design when the initial poster was unveiled back in December and then the trailer was released and it looked like... er... that?  Sure I'll be happy to be proven wrong if it's actually significantly improved (though I still won't watch the movie because it looks pretty abysmal as movies go even ignoring the design), but there's a story you may have heard of called The Boy Who Cried Wolf.  It reminds me a lot of that.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

Yeah, I'm not buying the whole "We were with you!" thing. Sure, Sonic looking less like something I'd see at the foot of my bed during an episode of sleep paralysis is nice, but that still leaves a cavalcade of unfunny jokes, dated CG, annoying, bland and dumb human characters that take center stage...the design is only the most obvious and most horrific problem that we can see from the one, single, bad trailer they put out.

The problem with the movie is the very concept. Just as a band-aid won't heal a broken arm, a simply design fix won't fix a movie that's doomed to fail. The only way to truly "fix" this movie now is to scrap everything and start over from scratch. Maybe get better writers this time.

Yeah, but still...

Live-Action Sonic, What a wonderful phrase

Live-Action Sonic, There's no Pontaff to see

It means no Classic

Sonic in this film

It's Our Zavok-free, philosophy..

Hakuna No-Wisp-a!

(Unless, of course, these new problems are somehow even worse than any of these). Then again Rise of Lyric was a thing...

Miragnarok, you keep posting that, but I don’t think it proves any point you’re attempting to make. So what it doesn’t have those things, it’s the equivalent of telling someone in deep pain, “At least you’re not dead.” That’s not the point, it still really hurts. It baffles me why you keep retorting with that, when it’s not related to our concerns with the film.

• Thumbs Up 4

I would describe it as looking on the bright side personally. None of the things that @Miragnarok dislikes in the franchise are present in the movie and that becomes reason to celebrate. Instead of dwelling on the negative the choice is made to embrace the positive. That the positive can only be described in this manner as an absence of elements when the movie is already being bashed for an absence of elements though does make it ring fairly hollow. If the best positive that can be brought up and argued is an absence then it can be interpreted to imply that Sonic just doesn't work and that denial is being used to create a positive outlook.

That's just my interpretation however and in no way reflects or speaks for @Miragnarok's opinion. And frankly, there is nothing wrong with trying to stay positive when there are things you feel positive about. Sometimes we have to put things into perspective for what we want. For example, I would rather see this

1497740486248.png

on the big screen instead of this

s-3.png

with a story that fits Sonic as a globe trotting adventure who tussles with a robot making man-child who is striving for world conquest instead of a displaced kid in small town nowhere land befriending the local sheriff.

But easy as it is to be aware of our own desires, we have to also respect the desires of others. @Miragnarok has made it clear what he doesn't want from Sonic, as exemplified by his little mantra, and the movie fully delivers that so naturally that makes him happy. I don't think that is a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination, though I will agree that just using the mantra as a means of discussion does fall a little flat.

Moving on to hot takes, my brother-in-law wanted me to post his and see what people's reactions would be. I don't see it personally, but he's 50(seriously)/50(joking) convinced that Tom by the end of the movie will simply turn into Tails or at least receive the nickname Tails. I tried to provide him solid arguments as to why that should not happen, but considering how this movie has been handled so far he's pretty comfortable with his prediction. Unfortunately for me I can almost see it too if I think about the surrogate family role and how Tails in the games of late (bar Forces) has been turning into Sonic's keeper with the other never even having to think for himself anymore. Still, I really hope they don't do a Dark Knight Rises routine with Robin in this movie as that would probably be an insult to far for me.

7 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, found this clear description of the plot synopsis. This seem to be coming from an Israeli theater site.
D_cxifrXUAMdhV7?format=jpg&name=large

It’s seem that the runtime for this film will be 2 hours long which is 120 minutes. 

Source: https://www.yesplanet.co.il/films/sonic-the-hedgehog/3350s2r  (Text in Hebrew) 

Well, if this is true than Sonic's speed isn't even his own and instead belongs to whatever the source of his blue electricity is. That doesn't sit well with me and just leaves me more than ever preferring to never have been given a background for Sonic. Some characters just don't need one and Sonic is one of those characters to me. Kind of two faced for me since I like the fan background for Eggman wanting to conquer the world not solely owing to his ego, but also his perception of what happened to his grandfather. Still, being two faced is a part of human nature and somethings we like and other things we don't. Honestly, I can't say that if I was presented with a background for Sonic that I like I would still prefer he didn't have one, but at the least I don't like what the movie is presenting me as it doesn't feel like it naturally lends itself to develop Sonic into the character that I know; a globe trotting adventure with a heart of gold and a cheeky attitude.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Yeah, but still...

Live-Action Sonic, What a wonderful phrase

Live-Action Sonic, There's no Pontaff to see

It means no Classic

Sonic in this film

It's Our Zavok-free, philosophy..

Hakuna No-Wisp-a!

(Unless, of course, these new problems are somehow even worse than any of these). Then again Rise of Lyric was a thing...

This metric would call 06, Secret Rings, and RoL a good games. This is why we don't judge things off of checklists, and we go off of percieved merit.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, I don’t think the film will be that good, but at least it will serve as a temporary respite from those factors, other than the comic and webtoons. That was my point. I am indeed trying to embrace every positive about this film, despite all the myriad negatives.

8 hours ago, Tara said:

I could be mistaken, but didn't they say they were planning on "fixing" the design when the initial poster was unveiled back in December and then the trailer was released and it looked like... er... that?  Sure I'll be happy to be proven wrong if it's actually significantly improved (though I still won't watch the movie because it looks pretty abysmal as movies go even ignoring the design), but there's a story you may have heard of called The Boy Who Cried Wolf.  It reminds me a lot of that.

This is why I assume they knew since the silhouette released the design had to be changed, and started to work around that since January, that's why they posted that photo at SEGA HQ with Iizuka and Aaron. I don't normally believe Conspiracy theories, but I really think they enjoyed the infamous success of the trailer.

If they knew they messed up months in advance they wouldn't have committed to the expense of taking it as far as they did. I coud believe them making a small joke about the contraversy but not one thats in the 7 possibly 8 figure range.

• Thumbs Up 1

Once again, like I said, I think there is a miscommunication here. I think what Tim Miller is saying is that he realized how much he messed up when he saw the fan's reactions. So he was "with the fans" at that point. He's not saying he realized he messed up THE ENTIRE TIME he was working on the original movie design. And actually considering, again like I said, the owl leak came before the Reddit AMA leak, and it said a redesign was happening, they probably did plan out redesigning Sonic before Fowler announced anything. Before the trailer even released.

3 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

If they knew they messed up months in advance they wouldn't have committed to the expense of taking it as far as they did.

15 hours ago, DreamSaturn said:

Yeah, I'm not buying the whole "We were with you!" thing.

8 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

This is why I assume they knew since the silhouette released the design had to be changed, and started to work around that since January, that's why they posted that photo at SEGA HQ with Iizuka and Aaron. I don't normally believe Conspiracy theories, but I really think they enjoyed the infamous success of the trailer.

In addition to what Rabid-Coot said, I simply can't picture this.  Like, I can maybe picture a studio that's struggling financially and was desperate for some good publicity to draw in some revenue, even though that would be fallacious thinking.  But we're talking about Paramount; a company that is generally high regarded by both consumers and the film industry as being a high quality company.  They don't need to resort to riding on infamy for publicity.  I think they're just that out of touch.

They probably posted that photo the same reason the company posts anything on social media: to foster audience engagement.  No matter how vastly different live action Sonic will be from his Japanese counterpart, at some point they're eventually going to have to meet with Sega to sort out a lot of little details.  The makers of Sonic Boom realized this, too, which is why it is said that they held off telling Sega of Japan about Boom as long as they humanly could, so that by the time the SoJ crew did see it, there would effectively be nothing they could do about it.  I don't know if that's a similar situation here, and I highly doubt it is.  Just saying, them meeting with Iizuka and Aaron and then posting about it on social media isn't exactly something I'd name as an indicator of anything aside from "advertising."

• Thumbs Up 3

23 minutes ago, Alexios31 said:

I still have no idea why this movie is coming out in March in Australia? Doesn’t make any sense...

Any school holidays at that point?

Here is that poster I got, framed on my wall. I love it! (Seller cgcposter-6 is selling these on ebay for $16.95 if you want one for yourself)

poster-1-1.thumb.jpg.caab8ac1a7b9734b02127761c1e05add.jpg

OK! I think Sonic movie will have a really tough challenger here.

The King's man will be released in Valentine's day (14 February) same as Sonic. 

So, with Comic-Con starting in about a few days, anybody think we will get something new there? I don’t think we will get an trailer, since TrailerTrack confirmed that there will be no trailer for the movie shown there. Maybe they will show the Dr. Robotnik (Dr. Eggman) footage there, just like they show it at CinemaCon and CineEurope. Maybe, they might show Sonic’s new design for the movie. Who knows?

I'm hoping they'll show the new design, but I wouldn't hold my breath honestly. They were so hush-hush on the design for so long before showing the first trailer so, yeah. I'm slightly hopeful, but not overly so. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, SmezMorePrakezz said:

OK! I think Sonic movie will have a really tough challenger here.

The King's man will be released in Valentine's day (14 February) same as Sonic. 

It's a completely different audience though. That said, my girlfriend and I will be spending out Valentine's Day with Sonic for sure! (We're in our 30s.)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/15/2019 at 4:18 PM, BaronGrackle said:

Betcha Tom the Cop will be more tolerable than Chris Thorndyke.

But only because of the fact this is only a movie, not a 78 episode series..

So, bad news for Australians who are looking forward to watching the movie. It had been delayed to April 9th. However, fortunately for people who lived in Victoria and Queensland will get to see it earlier before the rest of Australia do. This is probably likely due to the Australian school holidays and the difference in the school calendar for each state.

2019-07-16_103016.jpg