Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

An old argument, but now that the trailer is out, and we have more information...I still think this is Sonic 1.

The fact that this is an origin story (which people forget that Sonic 1 was when Robotnik and Sonic first met), the fact that Greenhill is introduced here, AND I AM NOT SAYING THAT AS A MEME (I previously brought up Greenhill to defend this point, a mod would tell me to stop because they thought I was joking). The fact that animals/the environment plays an important role in this film, the fact that Sonic is 15 years old, and him and Robotnik are the only characters from the games here...this is clearly Sonic 1. They probably didn't add in Choas Emeralds because they either want to to evolve that into another movie, or they didn't want it to look like they were ripping off the infinity stones to general audiences.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

(which people forget that Sonic 1 was when Robotnik and Sonic first met)

Which people forget that Sonic 1 was "not" when Sonic & Eggman first met.

Making sense here.

21 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, bad news for Australians who are looking forward to watching the movie.

I would say this is good news. By then, the poor bastards rushing to see this movie elsewhere will tell the world whether it's even worth wasting time on it or not.

• Chuckle 4

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Which people forget that Sonic 1 was "not" when Sonic & Eggman first met.

Making sense here.

I think it makes sense as their first meeting. I mean you have to start somewhere, right?

4 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

The fact that animals/the environment plays an important role in this film

Does it? Robotnik using animals as a power source (badniks) seems to have been replaced by Sonic's quills.

On 7/17/2019 at 10:18 PM, CaptainRobo said:

So, bad news for Australians who are looking forward to watching the movie. It had been delayed to April 9th. However, fortunately for people who lived in Victoria and Queensland will get to see it earlier before the rest of Australia do. This is probably likely due to the Australian school holidays and the difference in the school calendar for each state.

2019-07-16_103016.jpg

Considering that I live in Australia, this is horrible news to me. 1 month and a half after the US release. Sigh. 

I'm just so broken and run down over this whole ordeal. It's just been a bummer. 

Also I have given up hope that we will see the re-design at comic-con. It's not going to happen folks....

7 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

I think it makes sense as their first meeting. I mean you have to start somewhere, right?

It's not their first meeting.

1 hour ago, Alexios31 said:

Considering that I live in Australia, this is horrible news to me. 1 month and a half after the US release. Sigh. 

I'm just so broken and run down over this whole ordeal. It's just been a bummer. 

Also I have given up hope that we will see the re-design at comic-con. It's not going to happen folks....

Sorry man. :/

We've come this far. The movie is filmed, the redesign is finished, just gotta be patient. Hopefully that next trailer will blow us away.

Dora releases August 6th. It's a long shot, but maybe we'll get a trailer then.

• Thumbs Up 3

19 minutes ago, Myst said:

Sorry man. 😕

We've come this far. The movie is filmed, the redesign is finished, just gotta be patient. Hopefully that next trailer will blow us away.

Dora releases August 6th. It's a long shot, but maybe we'll get a trailer then.

Thank you for the support my friend. 

I do not think we will see anything until October regarding the new design. The trailer should arrive in November. 

We still have ways to go :( 

• Fist Bump 2

I wonder if we'll be able to see both versions of the film on DVD by pressing an option or something someday. Or maybe the film with the old design will become lost media.

• Thumbs Up 2

There would be very little footage in a near complete form outside of what was in the trailer.

5 hours ago, Alexios31 said:

You’re probably right. I think it’s still a bit too early for them to reveal the design. It’s been like a few months, since the redesign announcement. Tim Miller mentioned on the recent interview that he had seen it. They were probably not ready to reveal it yet. They probably want to make the redesign a surprise. 

I think it’s safe to say that there probably won’t likely be anything related to the movie shown at Comic Con. Paramount probably already done shown what they were going to show. They show Top Gun: Maverick and Terminator: Dark Fate. So, that’s probably all the things they were going to show there.

So, I guess the waiting game continues. 

Isn't Sonic going to be at Comic Con this year too though? Probably nothing related to the movie, but is anything going on?

Here is an old interview with James Marsden. 

52 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Isn't Sonic going to be at Comic Con this year too though? Probably nothing related to the movie, but is anything going on?

Yea. I think these were the only Sonic related things that were announced there. So, unfortunately, no movie related news revealed at Comic Con. BTW, unrelated to the topic, these look actually pretty cool.:

D_0AyZQUcAMrmZa?format=jpg&name=medium

D_rukERX4AQTUUR?format=jpg&name=900x900

D_zVj5NVUAEUrdy?format=jpg&name=large

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, StaticMania said:

It's not their first meeting.

If Sonic 1 isn't their first meeting, then what is?

It is an understandable mistake, albeit still fallacious, to assume that just because Sonic 1 is the first time we see Sonic and Dr. Robotnik that it must also have been the first time the characters ever met as well.  But in reality, many shows, movies, and games begin with the status quo, rather than with an introduction.  Both AoSTH and SatAM's pilot episodes are a good example of this.  That said, many other media properties outright don't even bother with a "how they met" story.  And I doubt that Sega even thought that far ahead when they were making Sonic 1.

That doesn't mean that the movie won't be taking some inspiration from Sonic 1.  It is always possible they could be re-purposing elements of Sonic 1 to work as as a first encounter story.  But if that is what they're planning, then they're going to have to take many creative liberties in order to make it work.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Tara said:

It is an understandable mistake, albeit still fallacious, to assume that just because Sonic 1 is the first time we see Sonic and Dr. Robotnik that it must also have been the first time the characters ever met as well.  But in reality, many shows, movies, and games begin with the status quo, rather than with an introduction.  Both AoSTH and SatAM's pilot episodes are a good example of this.  That said, many other media properties outright don't even bother with a "how they met" story.  And I doubt that Sega even thought that far ahead when they were making Sonic 1.

That doesn't mean that the movie won't be taking some inspiration from Sonic 1.  It is always possible they could be re-purposing elements of Sonic 1 to work as as a first encounter story.  But if that is what they're planning, then they're going to have to take many creative liberties in order to make it work.

If Jim Carrey pilots some sort of aircraft with a giant wrecking ball, I'll give everyone in these forums a high five.

It won't happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ben Schwartz on the redesign.:

“I can say that I’m very excited,” Schwartz told IGN during our Comic Con live stream.. “I haven’t seen the final thing yet, but I’m very excited. Because of the fans, they’re changing it, and I think it’s going to be great. The way it seems to be going, I think people are going to be really excited. It’s incredible to me that the fans spoke, and the people at Paramount, Jeff Fowler, our producers all listened and said ‘hey, you know, we can do this.’ So something special is coming.”

Source

• Thumbs Up 3

13 hours ago, StaticMania said:

It doesn't matter, as the manual says, they crossed paths multiple times before.

It matters to me, and I don't care what the manual says. I've always believed that Sonic 1 was where it all started, and nothing is going to convince me otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

It matters to me, and I don't care what the manual says. I've always believed that Sonic 1 was where it all started, and nothing is going to convince me otherwise.

Not to go too off topic here but two points to make.

1) if you're going to stick to your interpretation, why ask?

2) What marks Sonic 1 as a point of interest in the conflict of Sonic and Eggman (stated in the Japanese manual to not be their first encounter which is important since this is the story as seen by its creators) is that it is both the first time Eggman is actively looking for the Chaos Emeralds and uses animals in his machines. Of note however is that Eggman places the animals in his machines not to power them as would become the norm later on, but as active combat hostages to hamper Sonic and prevent him from going all out. It's actually one of Eggman's more sadistic actions in the franchise by using hostages as combatants. Another thing to note is also that Sonic is not from, nor lives on, South Island. He is aware of it and its inhabitants are aware of him (he is the most famous hedgehog in the world so it stands to reason that he would be known) and specifically contact him to save them from Eggman due to his reputation of stopping Eggman. So while you are free to ignore all this and consume the franchise as you see fit (especially considering a good deal of this background has been retconned in franchise even during the pre-Adventure days), at least back when it was released and the franchise was introduced to the world, Sonic 1 was not Eggman and Sonic's first encounter, but rather a first in many staples that would be a part of their continuing conflicts.

Now though, to tie things back to the movie, as I recall (really I should just go load Sonic Retro and double check) the Japanese manual states that Sonic has no idea why Eggman first started coming after him, so having Eggman as the instigator instead of Sonic is paralleled in the original Japanese version of the story.

• Thumbs Up 4