Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

5 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

(notice how Patrick Casey keeps telling people who complain to actually wait and go see the movie)

I again reiterate how "Person attached to the movie insists that the naysayers are wrong" isn't a strong argument.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, SaturnWolf said:

I again reiterate how "Person attached to the movie insists that the naysayers are wrong" isn't a strong argument.

Understandably so. But the fact that they're delaying the film, the production team's confidence, the fact that they've had to confirm it's not going to have fart jokes, it's not going to be like Chipmunks, makes this evident that passion was clearly thrown in here. Even if the film is bad, I can respect that people obviously worked hard to make this movie good and that it's not some cash grabbing Disney live action remake or formulaic american animated film that's clearly only made to conceive a parent's wallet

23 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

...the fact that they had to confirm it's not going to have fart jokes...

This is a mark of quality and viewer assurance.

image.png.36751681ee364bcae0a08b6a358b6f28.png

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

the fact that they've had to confirm it's not going to have fart jokes

Then what is even the point? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

26 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I can respect that people obviously worked hard to make this movie good and that it's not some cash grabbing Disney live action remake or formulaic american animated film that's clearly only made to conceive a parent's wallet

Seriously? This is exactly what this movie is. Do you think people didn't work hard on those other movies?

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Understandably so. But the fact that they're delaying the film, the production team's confidence, the fact that they've had to confirm it's not going to have fart jokes, it's not going to be like Chipmunks, makes this evident that passion was clearly thrown in here.

The fact that they fucked up such a classic character design to such an extent that they've delayed the film to try to fix it kinda nullifies all that passion, though. Also, y'know, none of the rest of the trailer looking very good either.

Even if we believe there are passionate people putting genuine effort into the movie, that doesn't preclude them still fucking things up. Passion is not synonymous with quality, you can try hard and with good intentions and still fail.

• Thumbs Up 6

You know, I was thinking. A movie adaption of Sonic Adventure would work artistically since the game already was going for a "Sonic in the real world approach", so a live action version if done right wouldn't look too horrendous. Obviously they would have to focus mostly on Sonic's story in order to fit it into a movie, maybe with the occasional cutaway to what other characters are doing at the time. If it did well they would have material for a sequel in SA2. And more importantly, it would give SEGA a valid excuse to remake SA1, to do it as a movie tie in.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Harkofthewaa said:

Obviously they would have to focus mostly on Sonic's story in order to fit it into a movie...

They would have to rewrite everyone's stories if they did it this way.

...and by that I mean Tails, Amy, and Big's.

Would you rather try to squeeze six stories into what would be at most a two hour movie (and that's being generous, in real talk it would probably be only an hour and a half)? 

Alright, Big the Cat can be a Non-sequitur at best and Knuckles' story doesn't need focus at all due to the conclusion that Knuckles doesn't actually care about his history.

While It's true that people who work on the movie are too biased to be used as proof the movie will be good... it's also true that nobody knows if the movie will be good, because it's not out yet, only those who saw test screenings can express their opinion, but I would not listen to anybody at this point, the movie crew are biased, but the fans IMO are biased too because some of them have been very clear and they have hated the movie since the day it was announced, so I wouldn't trust ANYBODY.

• Fist Bump 1

Since day one (in other words since the movie was first announced) I have felt that if the movie turns out to even be decent it would have to be considered a triumph. Let's be real here; we were never going to get a great live action Sonic movie, anymore than we were ever going to get a great Alvin and the Chipmunks movie. It just wasn't gonna happen.

After the release of the trailer however I suspect that it won't even be decent. Everything in the trailer, to me, suggests a 30% at Rotten Tomatoes kinda movie (and several of those people that will give it a pass are probably only gonna do so because of Jim Carrey).

18 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

SEGA on the redesign decision.:

"I think everybody's just keen to do the right thing. Obviously we have a very deep knowledge of the character and the brand. [Paramount] has a very deep knowledge of how to make movies. The trick is just to bring those two skillsets together to make the best film we can. To be fair, Paramount has been open to listening to feedback from the community around Sonic, which of course has got such a tremendously loyal fanbase with people with very specific views of who Sonic is, how Sonic should behave, how Sonic should look. And I think Paramount has taken a lot of that on board."

They also asked him another question. Here’s what they asked.:

With companies like Activision, Sony, and Ubisoft bringing more of their big screen adaptation efforts in-house, we ask Dale if Sega has similar aspirations to carry more of the load in bringing its own brands to feature films.

"I don't really think so. I think the opportunity with Sonic is a particular situation for that film. And I think there's a view here that we're very good at making video games and Paramount is very good at making pictures... This is a film. I think the idea that you try to control Paramount would be the wrong approach. But at the same time, for Paramount not to take into account our views on Sonic would also be wrong. I think we're looking for a creative partnership that gets the best film. And over the years, I look at the success of game franchises in film and it's very mixed. The idea that games makers can control the process and create great movies... I don't know if that's true or not."

Source

So, basically the moviemakers and the brand publishers should've had interaction since the beginning.

13 hours ago, Diogenes said:

The fact that they fucked up such a classic character design to such an extent that they've delayed the film to try to fix it kinda nullifies all that passion, though. Also, y'know, none of the rest of the trailer looking very good either.

Even if we believe there are passionate people putting genuine effort into the movie, that doesn't preclude them still fucking things up. Passion is not synonymous with quality, you can try hard and with good intentions and still fail.

To say nothing of how those passionate people still had to answer and yield to their higher ups.

10 hours ago, StaticMania said:

They would have to rewrite everyone's stories if they did it this way.

...and by that I mean Tails, Amy, and Big's.

True. They're the ones most detached from the ongoing plot, with the closest being Big.

9 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Alright, Big the Cat can be a Non-sequitur at best and Knuckles' story doesn't need focus at all due to the conclusion that Knuckles doesn't actually care about his history.

I mean, that can easily be adjusted. Especially since his legacy is crucial to the plot.

Also, I don't think it's that he doesn't care so much as he doesn't fully understand  and know what to do with it.

22 minutes ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, this pop out. 

So they're banking on SEGA and/or Paramount being cool with them teasing the mere existence of more merchandise.

I don't want to lose my job but I do want to get more attention on twitter so have a cryptic nothing.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 4

I've had low expectations for this movie from the day it was announced. I don't think the movie will do that badly at the box office. I even think it'll rake in a lot of money, regardless of what the critic reception is.

But I've seen the massive development hell this movie has had. I've seen the tidbits that were shared in interviews and from the team on social media, the details of which felt off. I've seen them explain their vision for the movie, and it felt off. I've seen plot details trickle out, and it felt off. I've seen the trailer blow up in smoke, and the trailer also felt off.

Forgive me, but after feeling like everything associated wih this movie has been off for so long, then having the trailer come out and confirm my concerns about where this has been going, It's hard for me to believe this "we're listening, we care, we're open to feedback" thing they've been doing for a few months now.

• Thumbs Up 6

On 8/13/2019 at 11:28 AM, Gamecuber64 said:

I hope all the low expectations become worth it in the end. I walked into Dora & The Lost City Of Gold (another live action adaptation by Paramount) expecting it to be absolute shit, but ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would, and the critics seem to agree. If Sonic ends up being a pretty decent film (notice how Patrick Casey keeps telling people who complain to actually wait and go see the movie), people will be not only pleasantly surprised but will enjoy it 1000x more than they expected themselves to. Which will definitely impact their perspective on this movie.

Dora comes with lower expectations than Sonic.  Yes, that might sound weird, but Sonic has been to more different sorts of places, and has been allowed to do things like be in real danger and fight.  For all the wipeouts he's had, people still remember his moments of glory.  A Dora movie wasn't a surefire success, but it was going to surpass some expectations simply because of being willing to do things that the original show didn't, but things which, as movies go, are not new.  People expect more of Sonic, as he's been catered to adventurous tastes from game one.

As for Patrick Casey's advice, from a business perspective it basically translates to "Let us take the money and run."  The mere fact that "Keep an open mind" is their operating principle here says just how much they lack any other drum to beat.  The approach they took with this was fucked from the moment Detective Pikachu opted for a similar premise but much more fanservice, and designs that, though not always as appealing with realistic textures, weren't altered away from what made them iconic.  Plus even before then, when both game movies and Sonic had a bad reputation, we still had base expectations of their franchises.  With Sonic, we at least had come to expect lots of eye-candy, iconic characters, and nostalgia.  I refuse to lower my standards to judge this movie when we've had decades of the Sonic series at least clearing that bar consistently.

On 8/13/2019 at 1:34 PM, CaptainRobo said:

SEGA on the redesign decision.:

"I think everybody's just keen to do the right thing. Obviously we have a very deep knowledge of the character and the brand. [Paramount] has a very deep knowledge of how to make movies. The trick is just to bring those two skillsets together to make the best film we can. To be fair, Paramount has been open to listening to feedback from the community around Sonic, which of course has got such a tremendously loyal fanbase with people with very specific views of who Sonic is, how Sonic should behave, how Sonic should look. And I think Paramount has taken a lot of that on board."

They also asked him another question. Here’s what they asked.:

With companies like Activision, Sony, and Ubisoft bringing more of their big screen adaptation efforts in-house, we ask Dale if Sega has similar aspirations to carry more of the load in bringing its own brands to feature films.

"I don't really think so. I think the opportunity with Sonic is a particular situation for that film. And I think there's a view here that we're very good at making video games and Paramount is very good at making pictures... This is a film. I think the idea that you try to control Paramount would be the wrong approach. But at the same time, for Paramount not to take into account our views on Sonic would also be wrong. I think we're looking for a creative partnership that gets the best film. And over the years, I look at the success of game franchises in film and it's very mixed. The idea that games makers can control the process and create great movies... I don't know if that's true or not."

Source

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, Sega, you always find a way to turn even the most dubious scenarios into a chance to suck your own dick.  You had to have known this would face skepticism, and nobody is buying your pose of humility when you've been negligent with game quality to an extreme most AAA game companies wouldn't allow.

36 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Oh, Sega, you always find a way to turn even the most dubious scenarios into a chance to suck your own dick.  You had to have known this would face skepticism, and nobody is buying your pose of humility when you've been negligent with game quality to an extreme most AAA game companies wouldn't allow.

Yakuza, Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online, Jet Set Radio, Super Monkey Ball, NiGHTS, Total War, Puyo Puyo and more all laugh back at you. Even Sonic Team, when it’s not a Sonic game, can make a good game.

I’m not sure why you made this comment, to be honest. SEGA is one of the largest Japanese video game publishers. They wouldn’t stay one of the largest if they were releasing crappy games, unless they’re EA.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

Yakuza, Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online, Jet Set Radio, Super Monkey Ball, NiGHTS, Total War, Puyo Puyo and more all laugh back at you. Even Sonic Team, when it’s not a Sonic game, can make a good game.

I’m not sure why you made this comment, to be honest. SEGA is one of the largest Japanese video game publishers. They wouldn’t stay one of the largest if they were releasing crappy games, unless they’re EA.

Something has gone horribly wrong when that sentence is part of your defense.

Let me clarify why I said that and what I meant.  I'm not going to deny that Sega can make good games.  In fact, it's been demonstrated that Sonic Team can make good games even when they are Sonic games.  However, Sega has also been willing to release blatantly unfinished games, and Sonic is unfortunately a sore spot for that.  Sonic 2006 was glitchy and terribly optimized, but the real problem with it wasn't technical; it was ethical.  Lots of games are that crappy at some point in their development, but with say, Nintendo, they get fixed before getting released.  Miyamoto's dictum that "A delayed game is eventually good; a bad game is bad forever" keeps Mario and Zelda from having such stinkers on their record.  Sega, though, forced out their game as a fifteenth anniversary celebration and Christmas gift, making quick bucks at the expense of Sonic's reputation.  It may have been over a decade ago now, but the damage that game caused to this series still hasn't healed, and it doesn't help that they repeated that mistake of releasing an unfinished game with Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric.

The reason I bring that up in this particular context is that I can't accept, in good faith, that the reason this movie turned out the way it did is that Sega had the humility to leave filmmaking to the "experts".  It's far easier to assume that it's because Sega doesn't mind letting Sonic's reputation take a nosedive, since they've let it do so with the very media they claim to be their expertise.

• Thumbs Up 1

I definitely agree that Sega's fumbles with the Sonic series over the past two and a half decade have negatively impacted the publics view of the company as a game delevoper in general. Sonic is the flagship series of the company after all, and it has a reputation as a terrible series that only weirdo autistic furries still cling on to.

I really don't understand how with detective pikachu, while the pokemon had to be redesigned for live action, they almost look nothing different from their game art, but why does sonic look so different? What was different? These are both made by professional companies. I mean even still, somehow they've forgotten sonic's arms aren't blue.