Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

38 minutes ago, Neo_Fire_Sonic said:

I really don't understand how with detective pikachu, while the pokemon had to be redesigned for live action, they almost look nothing different from their game art, but why does sonic look so different? What was different? These are both made by professional companies. I mean even still, somehow they've forgotten sonic's arms aren't blue.

Because Hollywood.

Also, Nintendo are  notoriously protective of their brands.

2 hours ago, Neo_Fire_Sonic said:

I really don't understand how with detective pikachu, while the pokemon had to be redesigned for live action, they almost look nothing different from their game art, but why does sonic look so different? What was different? These are both made by professional companies. I mean even still, somehow they've forgotten sonic's arms aren't blue.

Detective Pikachu may have faithful designs and lots of Pokemon but there isn't really that much, it's kind of a slow movie and quite boring frankly. Hoping that Sonic is at least decent on its own, without trying to please too much the fandom, I want it to have an identity and not be some random CGI cartoon movie with the human protagonist stealing the scene, I want Sonic to be the protagonist.

35 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

Detective Pikachu may have faithful designs and lots of Pokemon but there isn't really that much, it's kind of a slow movie and quite boring frankly. Hoping that Sonic is at least decent on its own, without trying to please too much the fandom, I want it to have an identity and not be some random CGI cartoon movie with the human protagonist stealing the scene, I want Sonic to be the protagonist.

Considering they apparently dug up stuff from an old series bible, I think there's at least some precedent for that.

3 hours ago, Strickerx5 said:

There are plenty of correct ways to state how the series is seen less favorably in the public eye rather than to wrongly pair it with a real disorder.

Failure to choose your words more carefully in the future will result in harsher actions.

Dude, I was intentionally using the words that others use when describing the Sonic fanbase. They're the ones "wronly pairing" the fanbase with a real disorder, not me. Don't shoot the messenger.

EDIT: Though to be fair, I will admit I should have used quotation marks to make my intended usage of the phrase more clear.

• Absolutely 1

2 hours ago, batson said:

Dude, I was intentionally using the words that others use when describing the Sonic fanbase. They're the ones "wronly pairing" the fanbase with a real disorder, not me. Don't shoot the messenger.

EDIT: Though to be fair, I will admit I should have used quotation marks to make my intended usage of the phrase more clear.

As widespread as that reputation is, I wouldn't call it the biggest problem this series has.  While many series have unintended demographics that attain a sort of infamy, Sonic's problem is that it lacks a solid core lately, so inevitably the periphery is more noticeable. 

By the periphery, I don't just mean the really infamous stereotypes; I mean the people who make fangames and other fan projects, memes, articulate video essays and sometimes written essays about the series and sometimes how to fix it, and if you stretch, the official spin-off games and cartoons.  All of these tend to feed into each other, as with the Misery spoof in Sonic Boom satirizing the stereotypical annoying fans and the Sonic Twitter mentioning or sometimes even making memes.  This weirdness persists because the core game series is too incoherent and inconsequential to provide much to orbit.  Some things seem to have settled into being mainstays, such as (for better or worse) the Wisps, Cubot and Orbot, but otherwise, ideas and characters come and go, and maybe they return but maybe they don't.  Their official "continuity bubble" policy, likely conceived just so writers can be lazy but perhaps also because they have so little faith in their games that they might want to boot some out of canon, doesn't help.

3 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Somebody had attended an test screening of the movie at an local mall somewhere in California. However, he is not allowed to give away spoilers because he could get in trouble if he give any away. Here is the link to his reaction on the movie. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheMovie/comments/cqq7rd/saw_the_movie_a_while_back/

"And there's a whole scene dedicated to SA2."

Blatantly gonna be getting chased by Eggman's truck through San Fran.

• Thumbs Up 4

I must say if that's true, it could make this movie at least a bit better.  But as ever, even if great stuff is in this movie, you can fault the trailer for not displaying it.

On that note, you think we'll ever see the "Everybody Dance Now" trailer?

3 hours ago, Dr Ryan said:

"And there's a whole scene dedicated to SA2."

Blatantly gonna be getting chased by Eggman's truck through San Fran.

Maybe, he was referring to this? 

spacer.png

There was an green suit guy who was seen driving an Green Volvo SUV with minor damages spotted on set in Downtown Vancouver last year. That could be possibly Sonic behind the wheel. I don’t know. It’s feel weird seeing him driving an normal car.

There was also an fake SFPD car parked next to possibly some set vehicles.:

spacer.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Whether this rumor is true or false, I think it's confirmed that there are SA2 nods, I mean we've seen the truck in the trailer, plus, most "leaks" from test screenings reported a chase scene.

• Thumbs Up 1

If "Jim Eggman" throws back his head angrily screaming "HEDGEHOOOOOOOGGG!" at any point, I'll be happy lol

Image result for jim carrey mad gif

• Promotion 2

12 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I must say if that's true, it could make this movie at least a bit better.  But as ever, even if great stuff is in this movie, you can fault the trailer for not displaying it.

On that note, you think we'll ever see the "Everybody Dance Now" trailer?

Haha given all this shit the first trailer got, I reckon the producers are in with editors now having a good hard think about whether they really want to include that in the final movie...

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the development hell came from the redesign project, sad because they could have avoided this with a good first design. The only reason why I think Paramount chose to listen to the fans is... because they want to save what they can, and the infamous success of the trailer (all those views) probably made them realise the movie could be a success at the box office, so they offered extra money for the redesign, otherwise no way this would have been possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Sonic movie was in development before Detective Pikachu even started production. Before Pikachu's trailer released, it was thought to be impossible to create realistic CGi models of animated character's while staying true to their original look. I guess nobody thought to delay Sonic after Pikachu's trailer because they assumed Sonic's design wouldn't effect anything too much (people still thought the Detective Pikachu designs were creepy but most people seemed to tolerate it because they looked exactly like the original).

I actually wouldn't be shocked if Sonic ends up driving a car. From everything we've heard about this film, Sonic doesn't seem to exactly know how his speed works and he's only just getting used to it (again this is obviously an origin story). There has to be some sort of limitation to what Sonic can do. Otherwise it'd be pointless to see Sonic being capable of going so fast it looks like he's freezing time in an entire film where he could have just stopped Robotnik immediately. That scene where he's dodging missiles is likely at the climax.

Edit: Tim Miller did say that Sonic doesn't obtain his powers RIGHT AWAY. So I'm probably right.

Just want to share these posters that I just found. If you want to know where these are from. The first one is from Taiwan and the second one is from Hong Kong. I know we seen these before and both of them had the now scrapped Movie Sonic design. I just want to show these interesting logos seen in the posters. Looks nice. Eh?

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, Paramount Switzerland apparently just posted the German version of the trailer online. Weird that they released this now despite the redesign announcement. Yea, and of course it get a lot of dislikes like the original version.

821715294_58667599_366347153980783_6092747839106973696_o(1).thumb.jpg.a4a8a96a874e44b867c8a59cb3c702f4.jpg

Thailand's poster. How the heck they can manage to carve Sonic's head onto the letter "ค".
Yeah, it looks like a logo in every poster, its font will get carved no matter how thin the font is.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Well, Paramount Switzerland apparently just posted the German version of the trailer online. Weird that they released this now despite the redesign announcement. Yea, and of course it get a lot of dislikes like the original version.

@0:25 Bruda, Muss Los? Brother, must go? They didn't bother to translate the Gotta Go Fast line? Lazy marketing right there.

Speaking of, that they are advertising in other countries with promos before the redesign feels suspect and rather odd. Like they're only going to use redesign for US/UK fans/audiences, but not bother for other countries and use the horrid original design. At least, it feels like it by what they're doing.

6 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

Like they're only going to use redesign for US/UK fans/audiences, but not bother for other countries and use the horrid original design. At least, it feels like it by what they're doing.

They're not going to render two versions of the movie.

11 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

Wow. They deleted it. 

Well, here is the reason why the video was pulled.:

They also upload an French version of this. It’s technically the original version with French subtitles.: