Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Assuming it's real... That design looks absolutely fine. Shame he's got two eyes, but they're large and do the job. He looks very well adapted to fit into a live action setting. Sadly it also looks like he's missing the stripe on his shoes.

Gotta see what they've done about his teeth and lips though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dude I’m glad he has two eyes. It evokes that sense of realism they’re going for while not deviating too much from the original design.

I always said they could separate Sonic’s eyes without changing them too much, and they did. It looks good!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 2

9 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Have we seen that particular angle of Jim Carrey's Eggman on the poster yet? That could be a clue for this image's legitimacy if we haven't, since it'd likely rule out a fan just editing a screenshot from the trailer into this poster or something.

Looks vaguely close to when he's in his ship in the skyscraper scene...it's not a match (he's got way more neck in the trailer), but the "leak" looks kinda warped to me, like someone fucked around with the liquefy tool or something, so who knows.

Sonic...I guess he looks better, but...not good. First one looks like an awkwardly posed figurine.

• Thumbs Up 2

I still think this movie's story, cinematography and overall concept is far from what I would want a Sonic movie would be...

...But at least I can look at this movie without feeling sick to my stomach if this redesign is real. I really, really like what I'm seeing. It feels like the redesign takes from elements of both Classic, Modern and Boom to create a look that's still Sonic, still distinct but most importantly, still appealing.

So if this is true, I really have to commend the crew for even bothering to fix Sonic, because I'm personally satisfied with this design. Hopefully this leads to sequels that fix the other problems this movie will inevitably have.

Being too optimistic for the future? Well, someone's gotta be. Best I can hope is that this is the next step to a Smurfs: The Lost Village-esque sequel or reboot.

The face isn't terrifying anymore, I'll give it that.

The proportions are still bad and he still looks weirdly "naked" though.

13 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

I still think this movie's story, cinematography and overall concept is far from what I would want a Sonic movie would be...

...But at least I can look at this movie without feeling sick to my stomach if this redesign is real. I really, really like what I'm seeing. It feels like the redesign takes from elements of both Classic, Modern and Boom to create a look that's still Sonic, still distinct but most importantly, still appealing.

So if this is true, I really have to commend the crew for even bothering to fix Sonic, because I'm personally satisfied with this design. Hopefully this leads to sequels that fix the other problems this movie will inevitably have.

Being too optimistic for the future? Well, someone's gotta be. Best I can hope is that this is the next step to a Smurfs: The Lost Village-esque sequel or reboot.

This

Design looks fine if it's real.
Movie will still be awful mind.
But at least that's one less point against it.

If this turns out to be real, I'm very impressed! If the last leak is indicative of anything, a trailer could arrive tomorrow possibly. I'm still taking this with a grain of salt though.

I'm honestly taking that with a grain of salt. There's been so many fake "leaks" over the past few months and another picture that just *happens* to be relatively low-quality isn't helping the case. It aligning with the teaser image also means literally nothing. If you were even going to attempt a fake leak, you would have enough sense to at least ensure you're matching it up to the already released materials. 

When asked for a source, the only answer was "a friend in paramount", which let's be 100% honest here, that's about as trustworthy as your uncle in Nintendo. I also realise it might just be me, but does anyone else see that the second image also looks very similar to Sonic's Smash render, bar the smile, and flipped?:

spacer.png

For now, I'd be pretty alright if it was the redesign. It looks simple, it looks fairly animated, avoids uncanny valley decently well, and handles the two-eye split nicely as well, to the point I didn't even notice it was still split at first glance. But I'm very suspicious about the validity of it. 

I unfortunately have a feeling this might be fake.

His ears look different in both photos. The one on the right has a weird 3D tan outline in the ears, while the other one has his ears looking completely blue but maybe partially tan on the inside.

Also if you look close into the middle of Sonic's face on the right photo, you can see a clicker. Does that look like any Photoshop pointer or something?

Screenshot_20191014-185111.png

51 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

I also realise it might just be me, but does anyone else see that the second image also looks very similar to Sonic's Smash render, bar the smile, and flipped?:

In fairness, it's the same pose as the reveal design from the style guide movie brochure thing too, so that's not much of an indicator. We had that low-quality "no teeth" screenshot from like a brazilian TV station or something as well?

Honestly it's kind of baffling to me that the redesign even happened. This implies that someone, anyone actually cared, and was giving it their all, enough to change a huge part of the movie. But if that's the case, how the fuck did we end up with a live-action film where Sonic teams up with a cop to fight Jim Carrey with 0% of the series' aesthetic or general tone conveyed?

Like, the Ratchet and Clank movie wasn't great, but that movie was very definitely made to be like Ratchet and Clank the game, but as a movie. People absolutely cared about that, even if the result was uh...yeah. So this hodge-podge of spending a bunch to do what the fans wanted and still making a soulless cash grab is pretty confusing to see. If it was that big a deal, why did it even get to this point in the first place?

• Thumbs Up 1

If real that's a massive improvement. It'd definitely make me see the movie unlike that horrible gremlin we got before. 

25 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Like, the Ratchet and Clank movie wasn't great, but that movie was very definitely made to be like Ratchet and Clank the game, but as a movie. People absolutely cared about that, even if the result was uh...yeah

I personally enjoyed the R&C film for what it was, it's a good film IMO. I still prefer the games over it though. But in terms of video game films, it's my favorite as it does capture the series well.

Interesting thing I noticed is that in the new leak Sonic is darker blue like the Modern games. While the one in the trailer & style guide had a lighter blue like Classic Sonic & Forces' Modern Sonic.

3 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

This popped up on Twitter. No clue if it’s real. 

Almost looks like a rejected CG model for Adventure on the left.

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Assuming it's real... That design looks absolutely fine. Shame he's got two eyes, but they're large and do the job. He looks very well adapted to fit into a live action setting. Sadly it also looks like he's missing the stripe on his shoes.

Gotta see what they've done about his teeth and lips though.

And his mustache.

2 hours ago, Failinhearts said:

Let's hope they make enough to recuperate that.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

I also realise it might just be me, but does anyone else see that the second image also looks very similar to Sonic's Smash render, bar the smile, and flipped?:

spacer.png

Yes, actually.

36 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I unfortunately have a feeling this might be fake.

His ears look different in both photos. The one on the right has a weird 3D tan outline in the ears, while the other one has his ears looking completely blue but maybe partially tan on the inside.

Also if you look close into the middle of Sonic's face on the right photo, you can see a clicker. Does that look like any Photoshop pointer or something?

Screenshot_20191014-185111.png

Well, duh. They basically look like two different generations.