Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Good thinking Hogfather! Dunno about overseas, but sadly here in NZ the trailers shown before a movie aren't dependent on the movie your seeing company wise, but they are generally attached to movies of a similar age rating or similar genre of movie.

So it could be attached to any children/action adventure/animated or CGI movie between now and release if you used our lackluster standards. Hopefully other countries have a more regimented trailer screening process and something could be possibly pinpointed.

While it's not the same genre, or style, seeing Avengers 2 : Age of Ultron tonight made me have a bit more hope that a live action and CGI mix could be pulled off well if the right team is at the helm, and if enough time and effort are put into it, and money too I guess. I must admit the army of robots did make me think of Eggman every so often, till James Spader's spectacular voice pulled me back in.

If we can get suspension of disbelief with all the crazy stuff Marvel and Disney can do then I see no reason, with the right team, that Sonic can't do the same. If it's the cast being meshed into live action backdrops or even a live action Eggman, if its handled well and given the time, effort and care required, they may just be able to pull it off!!

Well, Popeye is confirmed for discontinued, I believe.

But the possibility of seeing trailers for a Sonic film suddenly appear around the release of HT2 wouldn't be a big surprise, either. 

Either way, I'm not putting any hype into the thought of it. The only time you'll have me is if Genndy and/or his crew get invited aboard Marza's group in aiding to make the Sonic film. The Popeye clip's action sequences, dynamic animations, poses, etc would do Sonic SO much justice.

Actually they'd easily have my hype if Sony just straight up said "oh well we stopped the live action thing and went full CGI", but whatever.

I honestly don't know what to think about a live action cgi movie if it actually comes about.  One one hand, it'd be better than having just live action period with Sonic and his friends with no cgi...but why not just go full cgi or better yet, just animate it like a cartoon?  It's more expensive and time consuming but the finished product I think would be more visually pleasing.

Also, If this plot is going to be more focused on the humans than Sonic, I'm gonna lose interest quick. 

It's more expensive and time consuming

That's probably the reason they're not going to do it.

I mean, SEGA more than likely believes that they won't get an audience worth the expense and regardless if it's CGI or live-action/CGI that it's probably going to get about the same audience anyway.

We'll probably get a teaser trailer next year at SDCC or something. I don't know about this year simply because we haven't heard anything about this. Surely we would've gotten some casting news by now? Unless of course we get that at this year's Comic Con. =S

Considering that that movie just started pre-production last year, I highly doubt I'll be seeing a trailer, maybe a teaser in 2016, not sure. It doesn't really add up. Plus, we don't even know about director or the cast yet. We should hear something about that this year.  We should have a full trailer in 2017. 

At best we should have a trailer in 2017, or 2018. 

If we're waiting that long. God help this project. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If we're waiting that long. God help this project. 

Considering that I keep editing my post, I don't really know the longevity of this project. Live action films are alot shorter than animated ones. But since this is a hybrid of both, I can't really guess what it'll be released. Who knows, this might be a movie made with alot of care or a rushed movie with terrible CGI..... ( laughs nervously)

Yesterday at Sony's Cinemacon presentation, Sony talked about all of their upcoming movies and even announced a n animated Spider-Man movie for 2018. But nothing about Sonic... Sony Pictures usually don't keep secret about their already announced movies. The director of the Sonic movie, Neal Moritz was at the presentation and is aparentaly busy with Goosebumps and Fast and Furious 8. 

I have a very strong feeling that this Sonic movie will be cancelled at some point...

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/features/432941-interview-kevin-pollak-tells-us-why-misery-loves-comedy

Which you have absolutely nothing to base that feeling on.

Only the fact that there haven't been news or updates about the project since it was announced. Besides it's the only Sony project without news.

I'm not trying to prove anything, it was just something that came into my mind...

I have a strong feeling Christopher Walken's gonna be Dr. Eggman.

Incredibly well researched and educated prediction I know. Shower me with your praise.

I don't think the movie will be cancelled, but I worry that it is not high on Sony's list of priorities, and becuase of that may not get a big budget and could possibly be dead-slotted to a January or February release. I hope that is not the case.

Is the method of producing the movie really set in stone? For all I know the live action+CGI thing was something that was discussed before anything really went into it's development.

Hang on, the movie has to at least be in some form of development.

Wasn't it late last year that we found out Yuji Naka had been to the studio making it to have a look at some of it? 

There's also Van popping in to SEGA HQ.

I think some amount of development has clearly been made... I just hope Sony's doing most of the backing so SEGA's financial issues aren't causing too many effects.

I'm not sure the movie is that far into production to justify a 2016 release date, is it?

We all know the last time something Sonic related was rushed to meet an anniversary year release date, I suggest we shouldn't do that again.

Or release date at all, going by last year.

If a product's not finished, kick the can down the road until it is.

It makes no sense to adhere to a release date for the sake of doing so, releasing a subpar product, and suffering more losses because of it.

Van confirmed that it's still happening and that he's still working on it via Facebook messaging when I asked him.

This isn't being released by Sony Pictures Animation, it's being released by Original Film.

Van confirmed that it's still happening and that he's still working on it via Facebook messaging when I asked him.

Source?

It was stated in the original announcement.

Sony-based Moritz (22 Jump Street) is producing through his Original Film banner alongside Marza’s Takeshi Ito and Mie Onishi. Toby Ascher is executive producing.

Neal Moritz, by the way, is also Original Film's founder.