Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

16 hours ago, Gamecuber64 said:

I respect your opinion. I don't like this argument.

I AM NOT DEFENDING THIS MOVIE, but this is exactly why I said months ago that I feel like people are just judging this film only because of the fact that it's something different. Sure, if Sonic's design was good from the very beginning, it wouldn't get the same rep it's gotten now, but I guarantee that if everything about this movie was exactly the same, but it was stop motion, CGi, or traditionally animated, people wouldn't be freaking out as hard right now. People would probably criticize the idea of Sonic teaming up with a cop, but because it's a medium that isn't live action, I guess that automatically means it has a chance of being above average.

I prefer animation. I wish this film was entirely animated. But live action doesn't automatically mean a bad film. A lot of people thought Dora & The Lost City Of Gold would be shit. It got amazing reviews. A handful of people thought Bumblebee would be shit (an adaptation of something that HAS failed as a live action property before), and it wasn't. A group of people were skeptical about Detective Pikachu and Alita Battle Angel because live action video game and manga adaptations mostly suck. They were both fine. Paddington ended up great. Peter Rabbit ended up decent.

It's okay to be skeptical, but we need to stop jumping to conclusions that just because a trailer is bad, or the fact that it's a live action adaptation and has an odd concept, it's immediately bad. You can argue that shit like the Disney live action remakes or movies like Alvin & The Chipmunks are examples of crappy live action adaptations, but if you look at the RESUMES of the people who made those movies, it was clear those films were doomed from the beginning. If you look at the RESUMES of people who made movies like Pikachu, Dora, Alita, and even Sonic, there is a good handful of people who have previously worked on quality films. This will be the third video game movie in America to actually have good producers involved (the first two being Detective Pikachu and Angry Birds 2, WHICH BOTH GOT GOOD REVIEWS). I was skeptical about the writing staff, because Patrick Casey and Josh Miller have written shit before, but it appears they took notes and improved after working on the 2nd season of Golan The Insatiable with other people.

I will admit that Sonic's design looked disgusting. I'll admit the trailer's not great. I'll admit the idea of a Sonic movie where the character teams up with a cop is bizarre. I'm not even saying the movie will be good. But I'm also not going to just hear the words "live action" and "Sonic" in the same sentence and just immediately think "instantly terrible". Personally I think the best chance is that this movie will receive mixed reception, or at least slightly above average. Even if the plot is weird or Sonic's design was shit, maybe the humor is good and the action is cool (a trailer doesn't necessarily represent an entire movie. Dora's trailers were bad yet the film was good). Maybe the cinematography is stunning. Who knows.

I second that.

Is the leaked new design confirmed? It looks pretty good but I am naturally skeptical of these types of things since I have definitely seen alternative designs that looked better than the original before the official re-redesign was even announced.

'Hello'? Really? You'd think after the critcism of 'Gangsta's Paradise' they would've just stuck to something more traditional like Green Hill Zone music or something.

(I still think 'Without Me' would be funnier. And more upbeat/fun)

Honestly, I'm echoing the sentiments that the movie will be bad.

But I'm still expecting it to be a fun kind of bad, and I'm honestly kind of hyped for the spectacle of it all? Dr. Eggman and Agent Stone look like a riot in the trailer, and I really look forward to their scenes in the finished product.

One thing I'm genuinely liking is that, throughout the trailer, Eggman seems to get more and more manic and excited as time goes on. It would have been easy to just write him as perpetually angry or something, but I feel like they nailed Eggman's zaniness and excitability. He seems to have a genuine scientific curiosity about Sonic, and is having a good time trying to capture him.

No matter how much of a mess this film will probably be, I'm honestly kind of loving Eggman's direction here. 

Damn...okay it indeed probably will release near Playing With Fire. Not a good marketing decision imo. I'm hoping they also release a trailer during Frozen 2 then. But still...advertising during Playing With Fire? Oof. Not many people will see the trailer in theaters then (which keep in mind, trailers in a theater can also raise attention just as much as trailers online, if not, sometimes more).

I have no interest in the film now Sonic's been redesigned. I was going to watch the horrible gremlin Sonic with friends and laugh at how terrible he is. It would be funny, especially with one of my best friends, who hates Sonic and we sometimes take the piss out of the franchise's lowest moments together.

25 minutes ago, Gamecuber64 said:

Damn...okay it indeed probably will release near Playing With Fire. Not a good marketing decision imo. I'm hoping they also release a trailer during Frozen 2 then. But still...advertising during Playing With Fire? Oof. Not many people will see the trailer in theaters then (which keep in mind, trailers in a theater can also raise attention just as much as trailers online, if not, sometimes more).

The trailer can play before both Playing with Fire and Frozen 2.

5 hours ago, Plasme said:

I have no interest in the film now Sonic's been redesigned. I was going to watch the horrible gremlin Sonic with friends and laugh at how terrible he is. It would be funny, especially with one of my best friends, who hates Sonic and we sometimes take the piss out of the franchise's lowest moments together.

Well the good news is that everything else about the movie is probably still going to be terrible.

8 hours ago, Plasme said:

So has that design been confirmed to be real? Cuz I still say it looks like one of those Sonic designs from cheap, unofficial video game magazines from back in the 90s. Like this one:
large.gallery_9_225870.jpg.31a62e07a4810fe74b8127867faf53e9.thumb.jpg.8905fe457d5bf21419a980bc7df98e99.jpg

They both immediately illicit a fight or flight response in me.

The former doesn't even look that out of place given the number of awkward Sonic renders that were popular in European media in the 90's.  Though perhaps neither are quite as bad as-

Eh, it's a wait and see regarding the new trailer.

It's best that we be patient for it. I mean, we waited so long for a new trailer.

What I would suggest is that once the second trailer is release, we don't start yet another war like the first or else thread lock.

So please, clam down regarding everything during the second trailer here or else the thread will be locked for the second time, ok?

26 minutes ago, Demondeano18 said:

It's sonic, but with fur lol

That's pretty much the problem.  Sonic with fur is uncanny and overtly realistic to the point of being nauseating for me.  It's the same reason I quite disliked Eddie LeBron's Sonic model.

Aside from that, the fur texture and mouth placement (which to be fair, isn't something Sega has gotten right consistently, either) give Sonic the appearance of a bootleg Muppet, the eyes look glassy and lifeless, the proportions are a tad lanky, and the expression is pretty uninspiring.  If this were rendered in another medium but otherwise 1:1 (meaning it can't be enhanced in that medium), it would still look like pretty trashy fan art.

So of all things that bothered me about realistic Sonic, the fur and quills weren't necessarily that high on the list. I mean... I agree that it's strange to see, but in a world where we are subjected to seeing every individual strand of hair on Mario's mustache or the individual stitches of the "M" on his hat, a more 'palpable' texture of spines or quills on Sonic is about on par with the needlessly detailed stitches on his gloves for me. I get why it can feel uncanny, though. Not gonna argue that it's objectively better. I just prefer it over... whatever texture it is that Modern Sonic actually has right now:

image.png.5fda52579376ec9d6d472d8cdd757e55.png

If they make Movie Sonic's quills 'finer' and less chunky, more streamlined and smooth, I think it'd be alright. 

image.png.071e3a585ef3cf959673cce55fe9a5b3.png

... but. That's assuming we have to settle for more realistic Sonic designs moving forward. Cartoonier Sonic with more subtle texturing is still the best, in my book:

[image source]

1 hour ago, Demondeano18 said:

The fact that we even got a redesign so close to the modern sonic model is practically a miracle, there really is no pleasing this fan base is there lol

I really hate this sentiment in certain sectors of this fanbase. We are in fact, not hard to please. Sonic Mania was a resounding success with the vast majority of fans, despite only targeting a certain demographic and being flawed in several ways (remixing many old levels when doing so wasn't met with great enthusiasm).

Even Generations and Colors, which are both deeply flawed experiences, are generally seen positively by the fanbase. Even games which have aged poorly, such as the Adventure titles, remain popular.

Sonic fans are actually not hard to please at all, it's just that the vast majority of Sonic games after Adventure 2 have been awful.

2 hours ago, Demondeano18 said:

there really is no pleasing this fan base is there lol

I apparently missed this part in my last response.  If you can't think of an actual response, you can go elsewhere with your strawman and bad faith arguments.  Responses like these only clue me in that you're not interested in actually discussing the merits you may find in the design so much as are simply arguing from a contrarian standpoint for the sheer sake of contrarianism, made especially ridiculous when most of the things the fanbase is outspokenly bitter about aren't exactly much better received outside the fanbase, either.  It's like dumping a cat's litterbox on someone's desk and then reminding the person that they have a cat of their own.  Just no pleasing cat fans.

And I'm not trying to defend the fanbase, either.  I've gone on record before as saying I'm not exactly crazy about the Sonic fandom, but the only thing more eyeroll inducing than the Sonic fanbase itself is half-arsed remarks like this.

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

So of all things that bothered me about realistic Sonic, the fur and quills weren't necessarily that high on the list. I mean... I agree that it's strange to see, but in a world where we are subjected to seeing every individual strand of hair on Mario's mustache or the individual stitches of the "M" on his hat, a more 'palpable' texture of spines or quills on Sonic is about on par with the needlessly detailed stitches on his gloves for me. I get why it can feel uncanny, though. Not gonna argue that it's objectively better. I just prefer it over... whatever texture it is that Modern Sonic actually has right now:

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of how modern Sonic is rendered either, and I'm not quite into the level of photorealism on Mario's model in Super Mario Odyssey, either.  The difference is that from a respectable distance (i.e. the angle from which you'll be viewing it for most of the game) it's not really noticeable.  I think the classic Sonic render you posted would be my ideal 3D render of Sonic.  The texturing is subtle, but visible enough that you can still visualize the materials they're made of.  That and I quite like the shadows and light reflections play off of Sonic here.