Badnik Mechanic

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Honestly, I'm gonna have to see it in motion before I can make a good call. Also still not convinced on the plot either. That first trailer really made Sonic look more like the villain than Robotnik, what with him knocking out power in a large scale and Robotnik being hired help to catch this thing before it does more damage.

Yeah, I much prefer this design myself; it's a lot closer to the Sonic we're used to. It's certainly less likely for fans to want to kill this one with fire. That's for sure.

I remain shocked by how little I care about this film. It feels strange that I keep forgetting that there's going to be a theatrical Sonic the Hedgehog movie. I may have unconsciously divorced it from having anything to do with Sonic in my mind just because of how bizarre and corporate it feels. 

I am so pleased with this redesign. What a relief! I was one of the people who liked the first trailer (not it's music choice, but overall it looked entertaining) but there really was no getting past how hideous the design was.

I am 100% hyped for this now! Let's hope we get the full trailer soon!

Hooray for Tyson Hesse!

I'm really hoping they used the additional time they got to redesign him to tune up the other aspects of the film as well. Call it wishful thinking, but you can't tell me that they noticed and addressed the criticisms towards the original design to this degree without at least noticing the criticisms levied towards the writing and humour. I'm damn sure they reshot some of the film to accommodate for such a change, so they might've used that opportunity to rewrite some of it as well? I dunno.

Anyways, I really like how this new design turned out (goddamn he looks so CUTE), and I'm really interested to see that second trailer when it comes out. Let's see if they can truly turn this thing around. Pretty doubtful about that to be honest, but who knows?

It looks great. I'm not sure if this was a good decision but Sonic definitely looks no longer like a monster, I just don't think we deserve it since a lot of fans have sworn war against the movie because it's live action (which isn't enough reason in my humble opinion) but it couldn't have stayed a blue gremlin so... Not sure, at least it will please the majority? I just hope this was worth it... 

@Palette I agree. They will have definitely used this time to reshoot some stuff and add more game elements I reckon. I expect way more nods, SFX and maybe even remixed game music in the final thing.

As a concept, as an origin story of how Eggman came to be the only human on Sonic's home world, I am down with what they're going for here. I'm really excited. It's all about this and Ghostbusters 3 for me in 2020!

22 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Looks way better, props to them on that but I want to see his mouth move and his teeth before I give it my full endorsement. That was what majorly creeped me out the most.

I was about to say how pleased I am with the new design , now seeing that it seems more likely its legit...….. Then I read your comment and was reminded of those bloody teeth.

I would be amazed though that if they've gone to these lengths to change him that they haven't altered those teeth. It was one of the biggest criticisms of his deign. Fingers crossed.

Looks better but I need to see it in motion to confirm.

Coming soon adds a little more to my doubts about this sticking to the announced release date.

With 1-2 weeks of re-shoots being a normal part of production I'm surprised we han't heard about them, this seems like it would be the perfect film to get easy clicks from.

Frankly, been "better" than before isn't a big deal, people on the internet improved their first design in minutes. And even with a design closer to the games, the rest of the movie will still be largely the same. It will just be a less terrifying Sonic doing the Fortnite dance now :V The studio got the wrong idea from the beggining, the horrible design was just one of the stuff that was going to be bad because of their vision for the project. They "fixed" that, but what about the rest of the movie? I say it isn't worth it.

It's gonna be Detective Pikachu at best and that isn't saying much because that movie was pretty meh.

That's what I'm saying! The fact that didn't got the SHOES right on the first time is... fuck, you know what? Maybe I am wrong. Wrong for expecting a Sonic movie made by a Hollywood studio to be more than passable. I've wasted too much words on this thread already.

Ehhh... I'm really excited for this. Maybe some people aren't but in that case, maybe just ignore it? I always thought Sonic Boom sucked so I just didn't bother with it. There are so many threads to this franchise. Either way, as soon as trailer #2 drops I am avoiding this thread until after I see this movie!

12 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I know I wont watch it, the design is not the only problem. But kudos to the artists anyway

I don't see why it would not be a success in full bright colorful CGI like this.

maxresdefault.jpg

angry-birds-movie-2.jpg?w=1000&h=563&cro

5b1f2ba45f8dd7f35afb476d1e0c8f55.jpg

MV5BOWRmOWFkZDEtYTA0Yy00MTY3LWEyNWItYzgy

Eh, that would be way better, but the typical CG look is kinda boring. I'd prefer something more stylish like Into the Spider-Verse.

27 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

That's what I'm saying. I don't understand the mentality of "I want to lose my mind over something I hate", I just... avoid the things I'm not interested in.

Ehh, I feel like it's a little more complicated than that.

Plenty of the people critical of this film want to like it. They want a Sonic movie that accurately represents the franchise they love, and feel frustrated that the opportunity is being squandered on something that takes a ton of liberties with the source material. They're interested in it - even if they don't necessarily like it - because it relates to their fandom in some way.

Granted, I'm probably still going to enjoy the movie, though I'm not expecting it to be good. I've mad peace with live-action video game movies always being completely off-the-rails wrong, so I'm expecting more of a fun mess in the same vein as the Super Mario Bros. movie. 

38 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I know I wont watch it, the design is not the only problem. But kudos to the artists anyway

I don't see why it would not be a success in full bright colorful CGI like this.

maxresdefault.jpg

angry-birds-movie-2.jpg?w=1000&h=563&cro

5b1f2ba45f8dd7f35afb476d1e0c8f55.jpg

MV5BOWRmOWFkZDEtYTA0Yy00MTY3LWEyNWItYzgy

Didn't you NOT want Sonic to be all cutsey and samey? And also, yes, each of them does have a unique look from each other, but some of them are close to the "typical CGI movie" look that films like The Peanuts Movie try to avoid, and that this film should try and break from.

1 hour ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Ehh, I feel like it's a little more complicated than that.

Plenty of the people critical of this film want to like it. They want a Sonic movie that accurately represents the franchise they love, and feel frustrated that the opportunity is being squandered on something that takes a ton of liberties with the source material. They're interested in it - even if they don't necessarily like it - because it relates to their fandom in some way.

Granted, I'm probably still going to enjoy the movie, though I'm not expecting it to be good. I've mad peace with live-action video game movies always being completely off-the-rails wrong, so I'm expecting more of a fun mess in the same vein as the Super Mario Bros. movie. 

Depends on the case. For example I'm seeing plenty of people happy with the redesign who are willing to give the movie a shot. Some people want to like it but they don't, because taste.

And then there are people who are either apathic to the film, or just constantly negative about it yet they still post all the time about it, while billing it as "live action shit adaptation" and compare it to other failures as a reasons to hold a grudge against it. Not just the movie, I can't forget the daily reminders "this game is hot trash, buy Crash instead" in every page of the thread, simply for fun. But that's another story, I really want to be done with my complaints. :) I wish I had put it under a spoiler tag but I'm on mobile, but I don't want to derail the thread with arguments about movie white knights vs movie party-poopers.

I think the Sonic movie... Well, it has some advantages, besides the redesign, Sonic's developing personality, the origin story feel, the action, the focus on rings, Jim Carrey playing Jim Carrey, non-trash humor apparently? Those should be its strenghts, plus the negative and now surprisingly positive buzz around.