Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I am so pleased with this redesign. What a relief! I was one of the people who liked the first trailer (not it's music choice, but overall it looked entertaining) but there really was no getting past how hideous the design was.

I am 100% hyped for this now! Let's hope we get the full trailer soon!

Hooray for Tyson Hesse!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm really hoping they used the additional time they got to redesign him to tune up the other aspects of the film as well. Call it wishful thinking, but you can't tell me that they noticed and addressed the criticisms towards the original design to this degree without at least noticing the criticisms levied towards the writing and humour. I'm damn sure they reshot some of the film to accommodate for such a change, so they might've used that opportunity to rewrite some of it as well? I dunno.

Anyways, I really like how this new design turned out (goddamn he looks so CUTE), and I'm really interested to see that second trailer when it comes out. Let's see if they can truly turn this thing around. Pretty doubtful about that to be honest, but who knows?

• Thumbs Up 1

The movie has plenty of problems in my opinion, and it's not just because of Sonic's design, but at least Sonic's movie design isn't a part of those problems anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks great. I'm not sure if this was a good decision but Sonic definitely looks no longer like a monster, I just don't think we deserve it since a lot of fans have sworn war against the movie because it's live action (which isn't enough reason in my humble opinion) but it couldn't have stayed a blue gremlin so... Not sure, at least it will please the majority? I just hope this was worth it... 

Looks way better, props to them on that but I want to see his mouth move and his teeth before I give it my full endorsement. That was what majorly creeped me out the most.

• Fist Bump 1

@Palette I agree. They will have definitely used this time to reshoot some stuff and add more game elements I reckon. I expect way more nods, SFX and maybe even remixed game music in the final thing.

As a concept, as an origin story of how Eggman came to be the only human on Sonic's home world, I am down with what they're going for here. I'm really excited. It's all about this and Ghostbusters 3 for me in 2020!

22 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Looks way better, props to them on that but I want to see his mouth move and his teeth before I give it my full endorsement. That was what majorly creeped me out the most.

I was about to say how pleased I am with the new design , now seeing that it seems more likely its legit...….. Then I read your comment and was reminded of those bloody teeth.

I would be amazed though that if they've gone to these lengths to change him that they haven't altered those teeth. It was one of the biggest criticisms of his deign. Fingers crossed.

Looks better but I need to see it in motion to confirm.

Coming soon adds a little more to my doubts about this sticking to the announced release date.

With 1-2 weeks of re-shoots being a normal part of production I'm surprised we han't heard about them, this seems like it would be the perfect film to get easy clicks from.

His arms are STILL the wrong fucking color. It was ALMOST good. Almost.

It's okay. Better than the abomination from before.

Frankly, been "better" than before isn't a big deal, people on the internet improved their first design in minutes. And even with a design closer to the games, the rest of the movie will still be largely the same. It will just be a less terrifying Sonic doing the Fortnite dance now :V The studio got the wrong idea from the beggining, the horrible design was just one of the stuff that was going to be bad because of their vision for the project. They "fixed" that, but what about the rest of the movie? I say it isn't worth it.

It's gonna be Detective Pikachu at best and that isn't saying much because that movie was pretty meh.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's what I'm saying! The fact that didn't got the SHOES right on the first time is... fuck, you know what? Maybe I am wrong. Wrong for expecting a Sonic movie made by a Hollywood studio to be more than passable. I've wasted too much words on this thread already.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ehhh... I'm really excited for this. Maybe some people aren't but in that case, maybe just ignore it? I always thought Sonic Boom sucked so I just didn't bother with it. There are so many threads to this franchise. Either way, as soon as trailer #2 drops I am avoiding this thread until after I see this movie!

• Thumbs Up 1

That's what I'm saying. I don't understand the mentality of "I want to lose my mind over something I hate", I just... avoid the things I'm not interested in.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know I wont watch it, the design is not the only problem. But kudos to the artists anyway

I don't see why it would not be a success in full bright colorful CGI like this.

maxresdefault.jpg

angry-birds-movie-2.jpg?w=1000&h=563&cro

5b1f2ba45f8dd7f35afb476d1e0c8f55.jpg

MV5BOWRmOWFkZDEtYTA0Yy00MTY3LWEyNWItYzgy

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I know I wont watch it, the design is not the only problem. But kudos to the artists anyway

I don't see why it would not be a success in full bright colorful CGI like this.

maxresdefault.jpg

Eh, that would be way better, but the typical CG look is kinda boring. I'd prefer something more stylish like Into the Spider-Verse.

• Thumbs Up 3

27 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

That's what I'm saying. I don't understand the mentality of "I want to lose my mind over something I hate", I just... avoid the things I'm not interested in.

Ehh, I feel like it's a little more complicated than that.

Plenty of the people critical of this film want to like it. They want a Sonic movie that accurately represents the franchise they love, and feel frustrated that the opportunity is being squandered on something that takes a ton of liberties with the source material. They're interested in it - even if they don't necessarily like it - because it relates to their fandom in some way.

Granted, I'm probably still going to enjoy the movie, though I'm not expecting it to be good. I've mad peace with live-action video game movies always being completely off-the-rails wrong, so I'm expecting more of a fun mess in the same vein as the Super Mario Bros. movie. 

• Thumbs Up 3

38 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Didn't you NOT want Sonic to be all cutsey and samey? And also, yes, each of them does have a unique look from each other, but some of them are close to the "typical CGI movie" look that films like The Peanuts Movie try to avoid, and that this film should try and break from.

1 hour ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Ehh, I feel like it's a little more complicated than that.

Plenty of the people critical of this film want to like it. They want a Sonic movie that accurately represents the franchise they love, and feel frustrated that the opportunity is being squandered on something that takes a ton of liberties with the source material. They're interested in it - even if they don't necessarily like it - because it relates to their fandom in some way.

Granted, I'm probably still going to enjoy the movie, though I'm not expecting it to be good. I've mad peace with live-action video game movies always being completely off-the-rails wrong, so I'm expecting more of a fun mess in the same vein as the Super Mario Bros. movie. 

Depends on the case. For example I'm seeing plenty of people happy with the redesign who are willing to give the movie a shot. Some people want to like it but they don't, because taste.

And then there are people who are either apathic to the film, or just constantly negative about it yet they still post all the time about it, while billing it as "live action shit adaptation" and compare it to other failures as a reasons to hold a grudge against it. Not just the movie, I can't forget the daily reminders "this game is hot trash, buy Crash instead" in every page of the thread, simply for fun. But that's another story, I really want to be done with my complaints. :) I wish I had put it under a spoiler tag but I'm on mobile, but I don't want to derail the thread with arguments about movie white knights vs movie party-poopers.

I think the Sonic movie... Well, it has some advantages, besides the redesign, Sonic's developing personality, the origin story feel, the action, the focus on rings, Jim Carrey playing Jim Carrey, non-trash humor apparently? Those should be its strenghts, plus the negative and now surprisingly positive buzz around.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tangled Jack said:

It isn’t that simple. No one wants to see a franchise they love go down an absolutely miserable path. This film was absolutely embarrassing. To have people know you’re a fan of Sonic only for a blemish like that to be what’s hot and current is just an awful look. 

For the gaming audience, Sonic has been down a terrible road time and time and time again. It’s just another instance of Sonic being terrible and for many who still hold this franchise near and dear to their heart - well it’s just super discouraging. It makes you think “they were doing so well, why go and ruin everything again?” From Colors to Generations making the franchise “good again” to just ruin it’s reputation again with that awful Rise of Lyric game, to making something as stunning as Mania to just releasing a game as devoid of heart and critically mediocre as Forces - to this movie.

To a very casual audience, at the very least with something like Sonic 06, most won’t play it or look at review scores. All they’d see is a new (for its time) “realistic” looking Sonic game - for this, they’ll see well... that fucking disgusting goblin from before. 

And to those who don’t give a rats ass what other people think, all I have to say is I found this movie to just be plain offensive. This will be something I think about when remembering Sonic’s history and it’ll just make me sigh. A Sonic movie could’ve been amazing. But this is the route they went with. 

• Thumbs Up 5

5 minutes ago, Strong Guy said:

It isn’t that simple. No one wants to see a franchise they love go down an absolutely miserable path. This film was absolutely embarrassing. To have people know you’re a fan of Sonic only for a blemish like that to be what’s hot and current is just an awful look. 

For the gaming audience, Sonic has been down a terrible road time and time and time again. It’s just another instance of Sonic being terrible and for many who still hold this franchise near and dear to their heart - well it’s just super discouraging. It makes you think “they were doing so well, why go and ruin everything again?” From Colors to Generations making the franchise “good again” to just ruin it’s reputation again with that awful Rise of Lyric game, to making something as stunning as Mania to just releasing a game as devoid of heart and critically mediocre as Forces - to this movie.

To a very casual audience, at the very least with something like Sonic 06, most won’t play it or look at review scores. All they’d see is a new (for its time) “realistic” looking Sonic game - for this, they’ll see well... that fucking disgusting goblin from before. 

And to those who don’t give a rats ass what other people think, all I have to say is I found this movie to just be plain offensive. This will be something I think about when remembering Sonic’s history and it’ll just make me sigh. A Sonic movie could’ve been amazing. But this is the route they went with. 

I think at this point those who are not fans will end up enjoying the film, while strict fans will not, and that's probably what the madmen crew wanted to do, get a whole new audience to go watch Sonic, if they tried to please fans only, they wouldn't make money. As for the "reputation", well, we don't have " Sonic fan" written on our face.

Lol there has been so much garbage from Sonic over the years.  I think this looks genuinely good.

I am a 34 year old bloke who's been in this from the beginning. We've dealt with so much crap over the years I can't see why this is causing such a stir. Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Underground, endless cringy comics...

I think this movie looks good. Now the design is fixed I don't know what the problem is.

If you don't like it just ignore it and in a year it will either have gone away and be yet another forgotten blemish or it will be good, well received and have spawned sequels.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

The film is just so damn bland to me...I can't find myself caring about it, no matter how hard I try. 

But people who love this franchise to death have every right to be disappointed, because if you're somebody that wants the best for Sonic and see constant mediocrity and disappointment, its going to wear you down and become bitterness over time. 

Or maybe you just stopped caring and accept Sonic as a trashy series that can't do anything right, and just enjoy it on an ironic level. Then this movie is perfect you, because it will definitely give plenty of meme material...

Or maybe you're someone who is completely unaware of the franchise`s history and just think the film is genuinely interesting.

Sonic has so many different meanings to people, that trying to pin them all down is pointless. Everyone has different feelings about this franchise and none are more valid than others. Personally speaking, I don't care about this film and I've essentially just decided to ignore all of the PR surrounding it...unless it hits social media in which case, I'll have no choice. But I don't think this film will be as terrible as most people think it will be, but nor do I think its going to be all that good either. It's going to be a completely forgettable and bland film that people will talk about for a few months and  then quietly forget about. 

• Thumbs Up 3